Islamic Forum
Katkad

Why Is Crescent And A Star A Symbol Of Islam?

Salam

Could someone tell me why is a crescent or crescent and a star symbol of Islam, when did it become a symbol, and what it signifies....?

One of my friends asked me about it, but as I didnt know the answer, I decided to find it out....

Thank you for help....

PropellerAds

:D

This has been discussed here:-

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_forums.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/?showtopic=3240"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_forums.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/?showtopic=3240[/url]

walaikum salam

the star and cresent DONT represent Islam..its just an innovation... iread a fatwa on it...if i find it ill post it 2 u inshallah

:D Seqina

Crescent moon and star are not a symbol of Islam. It signifies nothing in Islam.

Hope this helps.

Neither a crescent nor a star nor any other symbol has anything to do with Islam. The color green is also mistakenly said to be Islamic, there is also nothing of the sort.

I can not tell you exactly when the crescent and star become a symbol, but I would imagine during the last years of the Ottoman Empire. Since it has direct contact with the Europe and it is the only one Islamic, on the other hand Christians have a symbol (the cross) so the flag of the Ottomans became a symbol hence the crescent and the star, which were drawn on the Ottoman flag. But It actually has nothing to do with it. But this is just my analysis I have no proof of it.

I believe that a symbol in Islam is not permitted as it resembles an idol, which is totally forbidden.

Assalamu alaikum

There are no symbols that represent Islam. The Prophet (PBUH) would simply use solid colour flags for representation. Usually green, black, or white.

This crescent with the star has been associated with Islam as the Star of David for Judaism, and the cross for Christains.

Some believe that the crescent was first used on a flag representing a muslim nation was when the leader of the Ottoman empire had a dream in which he saw a large crescent around the world. For more distincition, he decided to use that crescent on a flag.

So basically, the crescent was used to represent the Ottoman dynasty, not muslims all around the world.

Allahuallam.