Islamic Forum
dot

Atheists: What Does It Take For You To Believe?

The proof that there is a god is living in ourselves, our own bodies.

I was watching TV yesterday, and a professor named Dr. Sabry Al-Demerdash said that a study of the DNA should be enough to convince any non-believer that there is a god. The complexity and huge number of data in a single DNA leaves no doubt that this cannot be made out of chance or out of the natural progression of species.

I've searched and found (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_press.princeton.edu/releases/m8625_archive.pdf"]this [/url]document, released by Princeton Uni.

Now let’s straighten out all that DNA. There are 109

base pairs at 10

−9

m each so the total length of DNA in

the cell is about 1 m. According to biology textbooks,

the length is between 1 and 3 m [12, 13].

* This is a physicist’s view of a cell and is accurate to within a factor

of two or three. If you want more precision, call a friendly

biologist.

Now we estimated previously that there are 10^14 (1000,000,000,000,00)

cells in our bodies. At 1 m of DNA each, that stretches

out to 10^14 m. That is 1000 times the distance from the

Earth to the Sun, ten times the distance from here to

Pluto, or about 1% of a light year

How can anyone read those facts and not be convinced that there is a god?

Dr. Al-Demerdash said, in 10-day series being aired currently in the last 10 days of ramadan, in Al-Resala channel, that Darwin, who was trying to prove that life can come out of no life, is not to be blamed, because the data and tools available in his time was limited. The microscope he used had only a magnification power of x200. Now we have one with a power of x5 million.

PropellerAds
How can anyone read those facts and not be convinced that there is a god?

Thank you dot. I am not certain how, but I was able to read those facts and yet not be convinced that there is a God. For whatever reason, I still found it more plausible to think that DNA developed over millions of years into the complexity we now see, than to think that there is a God who simply created it. Of course, I can completely understand how ridiculous that must seem for someone who is aware that God is there, for in that case, there would seem to be no need to even look elsewhere for an answer when the most obvious one is right before you. Perhaps it is because I lack awareness of the reality of this most obvious answer to the question of DNA's complexity that I look elsewhere and rather find completely naturalistic answers more believable, since they do not require me to believe in something that I don't know about and instead rely on processes which seem to be intellectually available around me.

Cmon man.

If i told you that i was on my way home and came across a river, and i had no way of crossing, until a tree fell right infront of me, and pieces of this tree kept breaking off and coincidently, it was shaped like a perfect canoe, and then coincidently two smaller trees fell, AT THE SAME TIME! :sl: , and made two ors, and then i was on my way home (lol). Do you believe that this big of a coincidence can happen? If some one came up to you and gave this story to you seriously, wouldnt you think he's a nut for saying he experienced such a coincidence? I bet you and i both would.

So, How can this world, let alone, the Universe just be a coincidence? With the stars in the sky, and fruit in the trees, etc., etc. :sl:

InsALLAH one day Allah (swt) will guide you, and you will be amongst the brothers of Jannah!!

Ameen,

and i mean that from the bottom of my heart man.

If i told you that i was on my way home and came across a river, and i had no way of crossing, until a tree fell right infront of me, and pieces of this tree kept breaking off and coincidently, it was shaped like a perfect canoe, and then coincidently two smaller trees fell, AT THE SAME TIME! :sl: , and made two ors, and then i was on my way home (lol). Do you believe that this big of a coincidence can happen? If some one came up to you and gave this story to you seriously, wouldnt you think he's a nut for saying he experienced such a coincidence? I bet you and i both would.

I apologize for causing you exasperation. I am afraid that I am having this effect on others as well. As for your example, I agree, if that were to happen, it would seem to be a miracle, and I would be hard pressed to attribute it to something else. But I don't see biological evolution in this fashion. Rather, it seems to me to be a self-reinforcing pattern of mutation and genetic material swap that slowly builds up over millions of years under selective environmental pressures. An example of randomness that yet creates recognizable, and even predictable patterns, is the bell curve of (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Normal_distribution"]normal distribution[/url].

So, How can this world, let alone, the Universe just be a coincidence? With the stars in the sky, and fruit in the trees, etc., etc. :sl:

But I don't know that this world or the universe is a coincidence. It very well could be designed by God. All I am claiming, if it can be called that, is that it seems possible to explain these phenomena without resorting to a purposeful creator. I do not know if it is a coincidence, or if it is, how it is. One point, though. If the world wasn't like this, with stars and fruit, then it is also likely that we wouldn't be here to question it either, since our present state of existence seems to depend on these other phenomena. If so, then it may be a coincidence that the Universe is the way it is, but it is not a coincidence that we are here to question that coincidence.

Finally, I want to thank you for your kind words. I too hope to know the truth and not be deceived.