Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Muhsinmuttaqi

The Roles Of The Prophet

The Roles of the Prophet

Bismillah.

In Rasul Allahu, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, Allah ta'ala gave us the greatest example, in all roles of our lives.

If you are a father, you have an example in him.

If you are a business man, you have an example in him.

If you are a teacher, you have an example in him.

Role: Grandfather

How so? He, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, was the grandfather of AlHasan and AlHusain.

Example: The Holy Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) has said that AlHasan and AlHusain are my two basils in this world (Sahih Bukhari). He used to carry AlHasan, radi Allahu 'anhu, on his shoulder and would pray to Allah, “I love him, so please love him.â€

Subhan Allah, how's that for an example for grandfathers! Sal Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam.

Role: Friend

The Prophet’s good morals and conduct made his companions gather around him. The Almighty Allah says:

"…And had you been severe and harsh-hearted, they would have broken away from about you…" (Qur’an 3:159)

Subhan Allah, what a perfection of character.

Keep to those gentle and merciful manners and insha Allah, people will love your company.

May Allah bless us with the company of the pious and righteous in this dunya and also in Al-Akhira.

Role: Father

How So?: He, Sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, was a father of several children including Ibrahim and Fatima (Radi Allahu Anhum)

Example: Despite Muhammad’s duties as a Prophet and later as a statesman, his responsibilities at home remained within his priorities. Of his children, only his four daughters survived, as his sons died in infancy. Although his daughters lived long enough to marry and have children of their own, only Fatima, his youngest, outlived him.

In his family: 'The Prophet Muhammad (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) loved his children dearly. When Ibrahim, one of his sons, passed away at a very tender age, his eyes became tearful. He himself led the funeral prayer for the infant. He was standing by the edge of the grave when the dead body was being lowered. 'The grief-stricken father was asked about his state of tearful sorrow. He said: 'Tears flow from the eyes, the heart is plunged in sorrow, but the tongue shall speak only that which does not displease Allah." (Bukhari).

Role: Father, part two

While receiving his daughter, Hazrat Fatimah (Radi Allahu anha), he used to rise from his seat, kiss her on the forehead, and make her sit in his own place.

Muhammad’s paternal emotions stretched beyond his own children and grandchildren. He fostered an orphan boy named Zaid and treated him as if he was his own son to the extent that he was called Zaid Ibn Muhammad. It was some time later after a revelation from God that he was told that only one’s natural child had the right to take the father’s name. Henceforth, Zaid was known as Zaid Ibn Harith. But that didn’t diminish Muhammad’s love for him.

Anas Ibn Malik, the famous narrator of hadith, used to do errands for the Prophet when he was a young boy. When asked about his work with the Prophet, Anas said that the Prophet never asked him: why did he do this and why did he not do that. He never scolded or shouted at Anas.

When Muhammad used to pass by young children, they would gather round to greet him. The Prophet would pass his hand over the cheek of every child making sure not to exclude any of them.

He, Muhammad, sal Allahu alayhi wa salam said: “A person who cherishes love for his children and does his duty to them, shall be saved from the fire of Hell.†(Bukhari).

Role: Orphan

How so? Lost his father before his birth, and his mother at a young age (6?)

Example: I just read the story last night and it is heartfelt how he lost his father before his birth, and his mother not much later and you imagine all pain it caused him. Being one himself, the Prophet pbuh probably understood them very well and he probably did so much for other orphans in his society by example alone. Alhamdullilah. I hope this works.

Role: Slave of Allah - 'Abdullah (a very GRATEFUL slave of Allah's)

How so?: The Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wassalam) like all of mankind was created to worship Allah, as His slave.

Example: Once during the night, Aisha radi Allahu anhu woke up to find that the Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wassalam) had left his sleeping place. She found him praying tahajjud and making sincere du'a to Allah. When she asked him why he spent so much time praying to Allah when He already promised that all of his sins would be forgiven, the Prophet replied, "Shall I not be a grateful slave?"

Allah says in the Qur'an: "Muhammad is no more than an Apostle; and indeed many Apostles have passed away, before him, If he dies Or is killed, will you then Turn back on your heels? And he who turns back On his heels, not the least Harm will he do to Allah And Allah will give reward to those Who are grateful." (3.144)

ROLE: Father/Grandfather/Behavior Towards Children

HOW SO? He (saws) was grand father to Hassin and Hussain (radiee Allah anhom)

EXAMPLES :

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle kissed Al-Hasan bin Ali while Al-Aqra' bin Habis At-Tamim was sitting beside him. Al-Aqra said, "I have ten children and I have never kissed anyone of them," Allah's Apostle cast a look at him and said, "Whoever is not merciful to others will not be treated mercifully."

Narrated Abu Qatada:

The Prophet came out towards us, while carrying Umamah, the daughter of Abi Al-As (his grand-daughter) over his shoulder. He prayed, and when he wanted to bow, he put her down, and when he stood up, he lifted her up.

Narrated 'Aisha:

A bedouin came to the Prophet and said, "You (people) kiss the boys! We don't kiss them." The Prophet said, "I cannot put mercy in your heart after Allah has taken it away from it."

Role: Teacher

How so?: He, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, taught this ummah the way to practice Islam.

Example:

(bukhari) Volume 7, Book 65, Number 288:

Narrated 'Umar bin Abi Salama:

I was a boy under the care of Allah's Apostle and my hand used to go around the dish while I was eating. So Allah's Apostle said to me, 'O boy! Mention the Name of Allah and eat with your right hand, and eat of the dish what is nearer to you." Since then I have applied those instructions when eating.

On the authority of Abdullah bin Abbas, who said : One day I was behind the prophet and he said to me:

"Young man, I shall teach you some words [of advice] : Be mindful of Allah, and Allah will protect you. Be mindful of Allah, and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allah; if you seek help, seek help of Allah. Know that if the Nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried."

hadith is 19 of imam Nawawi's forty hadith

Role: Diplomat

The Prophet (SAW) knew when to do the right thing at the right time, he was forward looking, always planning for the future, and making decisions based on that. He knew when to be harsh with the people around him, when to be gentle, and when to have a treaty, through his wisdom SAW.

Example: During the Treaty of Hudaybiyah, many of the terms agreed to were disagreed by most Sahaabah, but the Prophet (SAW)'s foresight allowed him to do what was best for the future of Islam.

Role: Husband

How so?: His marriage to Aisha (radiallahu anha)

Example: Imam Az-zuhri said: "The first love story ever known in the history of Islam was the love of Rasulullah salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam for Aisha, and Masrouq used to call her 'The Love' of Rasulullah salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam ." Ibnul Qayyim in Raoudatul Muhibbeen.

Moreover, the Prophet, peace be upon him, was very patient with his wives. For example, when Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, broke a dish belonging to one of the Prophet's other wives (I believe it was Umm Salamah), he said to his companions, "Ghaarat umakum (Your mother is jealous - not sure of the EXACT translation)".

Role: The Compassionate Human Being

How so?: Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala gave him a compassionate heart which shows that he is a human being, not a robot. By the way this shows us that the expression "Men Don't Cry" is wrong because our beloved prophet sallallahu aleihi wassallam cried although he was a man and this is a virtue which is rewarded by Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala.

Example: When the child (of Zainab) was brought to Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam, dying; its body trembling and moving; the eyes of the Apostle of God shed many tears. And Sad said, "O Messenger of God! What is the weeping and shedding of tears?" Muhammad replied, "This is an expression of the tenderness and compassion, which the Lord hath put into the hearts of His servants; the Lord doth not have compassion on and commiserate with His servants, except such as are tender and full of feeling."

The Apostle of God wept over Sad b. Ubadah. And he said, "Have not you heard that the Lord doth not punish on account of shedding tears, not from sobs of the heart from the afflicted?" He is not of the people of our way who slappeth his cheeks and teareth his collar, and mourneth like the mournings of Ignorance.

Once Muhammad went together with some of his companions to Abu Yusuf, a blacksmith who was the husband of the nurse of Muhammad's son Ibrahim. And the Apostle of God took Ibrahim and kissed him and embraced him. On another occasion they went to see Ibrahim, when he was in his dying moments. The eyes of Muhammad were fixed, and flowed with tears; and Abd-al-Rahman, son of Auf, said to the Messenger of God, "Do you weepand shed tears, O Apostle of God?" He said, "O son of Auf, these are tears of compassion, and feeling due to the dead." After that he shed tears again, and said, "Verily my eyes shed tears and my heart is afflicted, and I say nothing but what is pleasing to my Benefactor; for verily, O Ibrahim, I am melancholy at being separated from thee."

Role: Employer/Master

How is it: Zaid was his servant or employee of Muhammad Sallallahu Aleihi Wassallam For Ten Years.

Example: Zaid, Muhammad's servant, said, "I served Lord Muhammad ten years, and he never said 'Uff,' to me; and never said, 'Why did you do so?' and never said, 'Why did you not do so?'"

Role: Employee

How is it: He was employed by sayidina khadijah ®

Example: Once he went on a business trip for Sayidina khadijah ® in Syria with khadijah's slave maysara...The profits Khadija reaped from that trip were twice as much as she had anticipated. Maysarah was more fascinated by Muhammad (pbuh) than by anything related to the trip.

Role: Paternal Brother

How is it: Paternal Brother to Hamzah ibn Abdul Muttalib and Abdullah ibn Asad (the husband of Umm Salamah)

Example: Hamza died in the path of Allah and he was so honoured by having his janazzah prayed for him, seventy times by the Prophet pbuh and the sahabas. He was known as the lion of Allah, and martyr of martyrs. The Prophet (PBUH) when he first saw him among the martyrs: "May Allah have mercy on you. You were, as far as I knew, always uniting blood Relations and doing all sorts of goodness.â€

Role: COUNSELLOR

EXAMPLE:

As a counsellor or teacher he did not make any distinction between the people. He answered everyone be they from the bedouins or be they from the Jews or be they from the Sahaba. Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam as a Counsellor always had an ear for his followers. He was not just a speaker but also a listener.

Today, people only give counselling to people they know and people whom we like. We make distinction between people.

Sahih Bukhari - Volume 3, Book 31, Number 115:

Narrated Talha bin 'Ubaid-Ullah:

A bedouin with unkempt hair came to Allah's Apostle and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Inform me what Allah has made compulsory for me as regards the prayers." He replied: "You have to offer perfectly the five compulsory prayers in a day and night (24 hours), unless you want to pray Nawafil." The bedouin further asked, "Inform me what Allah has made compulsory for me as regards fasting." He replied, "You have to fast during the whole month of Ramadan, unless you want to fast more as Nawafil." The bedouin further asked, "Tell me how much Zakat Allah has enjoined on me." Thus, Allah's Apostle informed him about all the rules (i.e. fundamentals) of Islam. The bedouin then said, "By Him Who has honored you, I will neither perform any Nawafil nor will I decrease what Allah has enjoined on me. Allah's Apostle said, "If he is saying the truth, he will succeed (or he will be granted Paradise)."

ROLE: MARITAL COUNSELOR

EXAMPLE: The intercession of Rasoolullah for Mugheeth after Bareerah wished to revoke her marriage to him even though he loved her so. The Prophet made it clear to Bareerah that he was just interceding for Mugheeth to help him out, and it wasn't his order as a Prophet that she take him back...so Bareerah remained upon her decision to revoke the marriage. Seeing this the Prophet remarked to his uncle Abbas, "Isn't it amazing how much Mugheeth loves Bareerah and how much Bareerah hates Mugheeth?"

Role: marriage counseling/father in law

How is it: Helping with the marriage of Ali(ra) and Fatima(ra)

Example:

i found this on Alim online, i was looking for an example a bit more explicit, but i felt this story very much fit in terms of helping the marriage.

. To relieve the extreme poverty, Ali worked as a drawer and carrier of water and she as a grinder of corn. One day she said to Ali: "I have ground until my hands are blistered."

"I have drawn water until I have pains in my chest," said Ali and went on to suggest to Fatimah: "God has given your father some captives of war, so go and ask him to give you a servant."

Reluctantly, she went to the Prophet who said: "What has brought you here, my little daughter?" "I came to give you greetings of peace," she said, for in awe of him she could not bring herself to ask what she had intended.

"What did you do?" asked Ali when she returned alone.

"I was ashamed to ask him," she said. So the two of them went together but the Prophet felt they were less in need than others.

"I will not give to you," he said, "and let the Ahl as-Suffah (poor Muslims who stayed in the Masjid) be tormented with hunger. I have not enough for their keep..."

Ali and Fatimah returned home feeling somewhat dejected but that night, after they had gone to bed, they heard the voice of the Prophet asking permission to enter. Welcoming him, they both rose to their feet, but he told them:

"Stay where you are," and sat down beside them. "Shall I not tell you of something better than that which you asked of me?" he asked and when they said yes he said: "Words which Jibril taught me, that you should say "Subhaan Allah- Glory be to God" ten ti mes after every Prayer, and ten times "AI hamdu lillah - Praise be to God," and ten times "Allahu Akbar - God is Great." And that when you go to bed you should say them thirty-three times each."

Ali used to say in later years: "I have never once failed to say them since the Messenger of God taught them to us."

Role: Marriage Counsellor/Father-in-law

How is it: Helping with the marriage of Ali (ra) and Fatima (ra)

Example:

Volume 8, Book 74, Number 297:

Narrated Sahl bin Sad:

There was no name dearer to 'Ali than his nickname Abu Turab (the father of dust). He used to feel happy whenever he was called by this name. Once Allah's Apostle came to the house of Fatima but did not find 'Ali in the house. So he asked "Where is your cousin?" She replied, "There was something (a quarrel) between me and him whereupon he got angry with me and went out without having a midday nap in my house." Allah's Apostle asked a person to look for him. That person came, and said, "O Allah's Apostle! He (Ali) is sleeping in the Masjid." So Allah's Apostle went there and found him lying. His upper body cover had fallen off to one side of his body, and so he was covered with dust. Allah's Apostle started cleaning the dust from him, saying, "Get up, O Abu Turab! Get up, Abu Turab!" (See Hadith No. 432, Vol 1)

Role: Neighbour

How is it: He had a Jewish neighbour

Example: Abdullah bin Amro reported that he slaughtered a sheep and asked: Have you given my Jewish neighbour something of it? I have heard the Messenger of Allah (p.b.b.u.h) saying: “Gabriel advised me to do good to my neighbour to the extent I thought he would advise me to make the neighbour an heir.†(The only Hadith here by Tirmizi & Abu Daoud)

[There's this other narration of the prophet's jewish neighbour who used to put dirt on his doorstep...and once the prophet came out of his house and there was no dirt, he enquired about his neighbour and found out that he was sick...so he took some of his companions and went to visit him...the neighbour became a muslim thereafter...alhamdullilah

Role: A compassionate and soft-hearted man

How so?: His heart was more affected by sad stories than most of us

Example : The Prophet (PBUH): The Day the Prophet Wept

Posted on Wednesday, April 21 [at] 16:42:21 EDT

Topic: Emotional moments of the Sahaba Before the time when the Prophet Muhammad began to preach the word and the ways of Allah, there were many Arabs who preferred their sons to their daughters. When a daughter was born, many Arab fathers buried their daughter alive.

Sons were strong and could work hard. They could bring in great benefits to their parents and their family. But daughters, being girls, were weak (or so the Arabs thought). Not only were girls thought to be weak, but were considered as a nuisance and were a burden and an expense on a family.

One day, an Arab father went to the prophet and confessed a terrible crime..

This father had once been an idol worshipper, like all the Arabs before the Prophet Muhammad came among them and showed them the holy way of Islam. Before he became a Muslim, the Arab had a sweet little girl.

One day, the Arab called to her and she ran to his side. He took her for a long walk and the girl skipped and hopped happily beside her father as they went along.

Before long, the father and his daughter came to a well. Suddenly, without warning, he grabbed her, lifted her up and threw her down the well. The little girl was frightened and cried out in terror, shrieking "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!"

Her father refused to listen to her pleas and cries for help. He then threw a load of earth down the well to bury his daughter and went home and left her to die.

The Prophet (pbuh) was appalled when he heard what the father had done. His heart ached with sorrow. Tears welled up in his eyes and spilled down his face and into his beard. The Prophet wept so much that his face and beard became very wet and the hairs on his beard were all straggly with water.

....When his friends saw the Prophet (pbuh) weep like this, they felt their eyes, too, fill with tears but knew that it was right for the Prophet to shed so many tears for the poor little girls who had died such a horrible death. For had he not taught his people that they should love ALL children, both boys and girls? Had he not said: "Allah loves he who loves and looks after his family, especially girls?"

Source: "A Great Friend of Children." By M.S. Kayani. Published by The Islamic Foundation, 1981.

( taken from the website: sahaba(contact admin if its a beneficial link) )

Role: Doctor/Pharmacist

How So? He (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) often told his companions (radhiyallahu 'anhum) what to use to heal their illnesses.

Examples:

Healing Stomach Pains

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri (radhiyallahu 'anhu): A man came to the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and said, "My brother has some abdominal trouble." The Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said to him "Let him drink honey." The man came for the second time and the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said to him, 'Let him drink honey." He came for the third time and the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Let him drink honey." He returned again and said, "I have done that ' The Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) then said, "Allah has said the truth, but your brother's abdomen has told a lie. Let him drink honey." So he made him drink honey and he was cured. [sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 587]

Healing Just About Anything

Narrated Khalid bin Sad (radhiyallahu 'anhu): We went out and Ghalib bin Abjar was accompanying us. He fell ill on the way and when we arrived at Medina he was still sick. Ibn Abi 'Atiq came to visit him and said to us, "Treat him with black cumin. Take five or seven seeds and crush them (mix the powder with oil) and drop the resulting mixture into both nostrils, for 'Aisha has narrated to me that she heard the Prophet saying, 'This black cumin is healing for all diseases except As-Sam.' Aisha said, 'What is As-Sam?' He said, 'Death." [sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 591]

Healing Lice

Narrated Ka'b bin Ujrah (radhiyallahu 'anhu):The Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) came to me during the period of Al-Hudaibiya, while I was lighting fire underneath a cooking pot and lice were falling down my head. He said, "Do your lice hurt you?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Shave your head and fast for three days or feed six poor persons or slaughter a sheep as a sacrifice." [sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 604]

-----

Healing Tonsils

-----

Narrated Um Qais (radhiyallahu 'anha): I went to Allah's Apostle (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) along with a a son of mine whose palate and tonsils I had pressed with my finger as a treatment for a (throat and tonsil) disease. The Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Why do you pain your children by pressing their throats! Use Ud Al-Hindi (certain Indian incense) for it cures seven diseases, one of which is pleurisy. It is used as a snuff for treating throat and tonsil disease and it is inserted into one side of the mouth of one suffering from pleurisy." [sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 611]

------------

Dua'a for Healing a Patient

------------

Narrated 'Aisha (radhiyallahu 'anha): The Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) used to treat some of his wives by passing his right hand over the place of ailment and used to say, "O Allah, the Lord of the people! Remove the trouble and heal the patient, for You are the Healer. No healing is of any avail but Yours; healing that will leave behind no ailment." [sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 639]

-------

Healing a Fever

-------

Narrated Fatima bint Al-Mundhir (radhiyallahu 'anha): Whenever a lady suffering from fever was brought to Asma' bint Abu Bakr (radhiyallahu 'anha), she used to invoke Allah for her and then sprinkle some water on her body, at the chest and say, "Allah's Apostle used to order us to abate fever with water." [sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 620]

Role: A Helper in the Home/"House-husband"

How: The Prophet (s) would help out around the house and take care of his family.

Evidence:

Ayeshah was asked: "What did the Prophet (pbuh) do at home?"

She replied: "He would be involved in the service of his family, and when the time for prayers was due, he would wash up and go out for prayers."

Role: army general

How is it: Prophet(saaws) with the invasion of al-kudr

Example:

This was taken from ar-raheeq al mahktoum

Al-Kudr Invasion

The scouting body of Madinah reported that Banu Saleem of Ghatafan were engaged in mustering troops to invade the Muslims. The Prophet [pbuh] took the initiative himself and mounted a surprise attack on them in their own homeland at a watering place called Al-Kudr. Banu Saleem, on receiving the news, had fled before he arrived. He stayed there for three days, took their 500 camels as booty and distributed them to the fighters after he had set aside the usual one-fifth; each one gained two camels.

This invasion took place in Shawwal in the year 2 A.H., seven days after the event of Badr.[Za'd Al-Ma'ad 2/90; Ibn Hisham 2/43,44; Mukhtasar Seerat Ar-Rasool p.236]

Role: Host

How is it: He would always host guests and treat them in a kind manner

Example:

Abu Hurayrah told a very distressing story of his hunger and starvation when he was one of the Ashab As-Suffah. He said, "Once in utter starvation, I sat on the main highway. Abu Bakr passed that way and I, to invite his attention to my humble state, asked him about a verse of the Qur'an. He went by and did not take any notice of my condition. The same thing happened with `Umar, and he also did not pay much attention to me. Then Allah's Messenger came along and, seeing me, smiled and said, 'Come with me.' When he arrived home, he saw a bowl of milk and enquired about it. He was told that it was sent as a gift to him. He asked me to bring all of Ashab As-Suffah. I brought them all with me. He gave me the bowl of milk and asked me to distribute it among them all. I was wondering how this bowl would satisfy them all. However, I passed it to them and everyone drank his fill, and finally I drank until I was satisfied and gave the remaining to the Prophet.†Miraculously, that one bowl of milk fed them all.