Islamic Forum
Guest UnderCover_Brother

Celebrations....

Do you celebrate, "Mothers Day", "Birthdays" or any other celebrations, other than the two Eids?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you celebrate, "Mothers Day", "Birthdays" or any other celebrations, other than the two Eids?

• Yes, Some of them
    • Yes, All of Them
    • No, but family do...So i kinda of do(I dont fight it)
    • No, NONE of them

Guest UnderCover_Brother

Assalamu'Alikum,

Just wanted to find out who celebrates what? Why do you celebrate this? Why do you think its is ok? Where have you gotten the "Fatewa" from?

Personal experience would be great? Like my sister had a birthday party for her daughter(my neice) but mua didn't go to it! Alhumdullilah!

Fee Amanillah,

Wa'Salam.

PropellerAds

:D

Someone once said:

'In Islam everyday is Mothers day, every day is Fathers day, every day is Valentines day.......(as long as your married)....' :D, that cracked everyone up

Also i think we should take birthdays to remind ourselves of death, whats there to celebrate?, you have come closer to death...

Edited by rofi

Hmmm............

Dont celebrate anything but the eids. neither do my family.

We used to celebrate our birthday (small home parties) when we were kids but my mum eventually stopped all that and we never really contined. used to give a few presents out to mates and recieve them but i aint done that in years.

i just give them pressies whenever i feel like it :D

I used to give out x-mas cards and x-mas pressie to a few friends back in secondary school but dumped that too cos i felt that it was haram later on. I still get cards from people though.

Never done the whole mothers/fathers day thing.

Never done anything for the prophet s.a.w b'day. To be honest, its not something i've seen people from my home country do.

Never done halloween, although i wanted to when i was a kid- i guess mainly cos of the dressing up aspect and getting the sweets but that was definatly a no no with the parents :D

mum: ' why do you wanna dress up like a shaytan for? are you a shaytan? '

me: 'no, but i just wanna do trick or treat'

mum: 'you want sweets, why you wanna get it off other people? i can give them too you'

My family dont and never did :D

Personal experience would be great? Like my sister had a birthday party for her daughter(my neice) but mua didn't go to it! Alhumdullilah!

Mash'Allah bro, may Allah reward you for that!

Someone once said:

'In Islam everyday is Mothers day, every day is Fathers day, every day is Valentines day.......(as long as your married)....' w00t.gif, that cracked everyone up

Whoever said that, was completely right! :D

Also i think we should take birthdays to remind ourselves of death, whats there to celebrate?, you have come closer to death...

Exactly!

My friends are always like "what did you get your mom for mothers day..." and Im like :D

Guest UnderCover_Brother

Assalamu'Alikum,

Lolz...sister Summer Girl...your mum is sooooo Cool!! Lolz...

I think we should Celebrate..."Still not Married Yet Day!"....I would have so many presents...Mwhahahahhahhahah!!! Lolz....

Wa'Salam.

The only one we got close to celebrating I guess was Halloween.. We used to give candy...cuz the year we didn't they threw eggs and stuff at our house. Crazy kids. :D

*edit* And we no longer give out candy since we moved. :D

Other than that, nopes alhamdulillah. :D

LOL [at] sis summer_girl! :D

Edited by mm_ca04

I never celebrate any of it now. However my brother's new bride had a birthday party for him and since she was new in the family, i didnt say no. You shouldve seen my other brother when my bro's new wife asked us to sing...'happy birthday to you' and this was after we had to hide behind sofa when he came in the house. My other brother kept saying all night 'this is ridiculous' and i kept nudging him to be nice and at least smile. Needless to say, i told my sis-in-law after i got to know her little better, that i wont be attending any shenanings from now on.

Guest amani

nah dont celebrate nothing :D

Whaz the point of showing how much you love your mother .. or how much you respect your father .. just by giving them a card or a gift on a particular day .... the best gift to them is being a well educated and well brought up son/daughter ... it kinda takes the whole spirit of loving ones parents ... and just goes to show how ones love can be bought with some mere sentiments written on cards and gifts. Not that i am against it .. but logically it make no logical sense.

As for valentines day ... dont even bother ... it just SHAITAANS ONE WAY TICKET TO FREEDOM.

And technically speaking ... all these days are kinda lame of an excuse for a holiday.

i totally agree with GF here :D ...

However i am bound by my non-muslims family who celebrate all that stuff. I dont want to be rude to them and reject their invitations, but then again i dont want to celebrate either. It's a fine line i guess.

We don't celebrate anything either. I know what u mean muja, i was out shopping the other day and my friend said, "oooo its fathers day in a few weeks"...so she takes me to boots to look at mens aftershave. I said "are you gonna get him a present?". She says" yeah but not yet, closer the time, i'm just after some ideas". So i said "Why don't you get it him today and he'll be all the more surprised, afterall will he be any better a father in 2 weeks than he is right this second." I kept pestering her till she got it and she text me today to say she gave it to him and he was so surprised and happy. Alhamdulillah!

Halloween is a funny one. When the kids knock on the door we just get my dad to answer the door in his "dress" (or Jellaba for you and me) and he simply says we don't celebrate this, and they take one look at this big bearded man in a "dress" and leg it down the street in relief!lol!

Assalamu'Alikum,

Just wanted to find out who celebrates what? Why do you celebrate this? Why do you think its is ok? Where have you gotten the "Fatewa" from?

Fee Amanillah,

Wa'Salam.

Asalaam Alikum

As a recent revert still living at home with my Mum and Sister, as I am from a non-muslim background I do still celebrate birthdays, mothers day, grabdparents dat, christmas, easter, etc.

I know thast this is frowned upon in Islam but as long as I am under the same roof I don't want to see, a killjoy. But, inshallah I am in the process of finding a new job (higher salary), amd saving for a place of my own, finding a Sister and so on.

But I don't like hurting peoples feelings and so will probably still carry on with close family and friends.

Brother Chrism :D

Good luck with everything brother chrism.

As for me, i still get my mum flowers on her birthday and on mothers day, because she tends to feel like no one cares about her if I dont. Dont blame me, blame this consumerist society for making a fuss about it.

:sl:

Wow, I think this is my new fav. poll. Masha' Allah.

:sl:

hadith: "Whoever imitates a nation is one of them!" (Abu Da'oud).

"Every innovation (in our religion) is mis-guidance, even if the people regard it as something good" (ad-Daarimee.).

"Allâh has given you better than those Eids (feasts): the 'Eid-ul-Adh-haa (Feast of Sacrificing), and 'Eid-ul-Fitr (feast of Breaking the fast)." [sunan An-Nasaaee: English translation: (vol. 2, p.333, no. 1559), Sunan Abu Dauwud: English translation: (vol. 1, p.293, no. 1130). It is authenticated by Shaykh Al-Albaanee in Saheeh Sunan Aboo Daawood: vol. 1, p. 210, no.1004.]

Aayshah reported that the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said:

"For every people there is a Eid(feast) and this is our Eid(feast)." [sahih Al-Bukhari: (vol. 5, no. 268).]

Allah orders us to follow Prophet Mohammad PBUH.

Allâh says: "Say-O Muhammad-if you love Allâh follow me, Allâh will love you." [Aali 'Emraan: 31.]

wait, celebrating christmas and stuff is haram?

casue my falmily is well, some are christian, some are pagan,, we are a mut family. anyways, they celebrate christmas.

is it sunnah not to celebrte? or haram?

nevermind, i found the answer :sl:

Assalamu Alaikum brother Andre, I was going to post an answer her, but stopped because you posted that you found out. Could you share what you found out please, because someone else asked me, and I would like to know what answer you got and if it is different to what I have, then I can give them both the views. JazaakAllahu Khairan in advance.

Assalamu Alaikum.

i will try to find the link, but the answer is its not haram. there is no social icolation in Islam. even though Islam encompases your entire life, it dose not cut you off from family.

there is a limit though. do not celebrate with drinking wine, ect. and that your family should ralize that if it werent for them, that you would not be doing anything speacial for the hollidays. ill get the link when i find it :sl:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?cid=1123996015608&pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam/AskAboutIslamE/AskAboutIslamE"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satelli.../AskAboutIslamE[/url]

Edited by André

This thread isn't about chocolate?!?! :sl:

Just kidding, but I do make it a regular deal to celebrate the birthdays and special occasions of loved ones around me. While I know it's not a big deal to everyone, I think it's good to let the ones you love know that you'll never forget about them, both in past, present and future. It's just a small token of reminder in letting them know how much you care, and if it makes them feel good too, then what harm can come of it?