Islamic Forum
borbus

Don't Panic, I'm Islamic

Don't Panic, I'm Islamic

Sun 12 Jun, 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm, 60mins

There are nearly two million Muslims living in Britain. A new generation has grown up knowing only Britain as its home. This is a film told from their perspective; they speak openly about their concerns and about what it means to be a British Muslim.

The resulting interviews provide tough and challenging, and to some, perhaps disturbing, viewing. When George W Bush asked after 9/11 whether, 'You are with us or you are with the terrorists', he forced many British Muslims to ponder which side of the divide they stood.

PropellerAds

As Salaam Alaikum,

Hey! I have a shirt that says "Don't Panic. I'm Islamic". hehe

There are Muslims who actually had to sit down and think about if they were with the terrorist? Whoa.

Edited by DemaChanRas

Assalamu alaikum

Jazakumullah khair bro :D Insha'Allah i'll remember to watch this- should be interesting! :D

Wa-alaikum salam

Edited by strider

:D

yep..InshAllah will watch this...

thnx 4 tellin us-Jazak Allah Khairun :D

As Salaam Alaikum,

There are Muslims who actually had to sit down and think about if they were with the terrorist? Whoa.

i dont think that's what was meant. Many muslims had to question where they stand on the issue of politics and how it affects their commitment to Allah.

Assalamu alaikum

Jazakumullah khair bro :D Insha'Allah i'll remember to watch this- should be interesting!  :D

Wa-alaikum salam

Akhi is it worth it ?

find out who it's produced, directed and presented by..

some moron who obtained a job with the bbc because s/he goes

drinking with them every friday and is their ideal muslim is a very

boring presenter indeed ESPECIALLY when s/he talks about their

mums biryani *yawn*

/There are Muslims who actually had to sit down and think about if they were with the terrorist? Whoa./

Sis Dema you need to rephrase that. Who do you call terrorist? Many innocent muslims are locked up under the terrorism act. They havent done anything and they are locked up cos they are suspected that they may do something in future. In the eyes of the govt (British & US), they are terrorists. Those who are fighting against the occupiers in Iraq are called terrorists, those who are fighting for their land in Palestine are called terrorists. In my book they are not.

So yes, to answer your question, there are muslims who are with the 'terrorists'.

Sorry to go off-topic mods.

More details of this programme:-

Salma, a mother of three from Birmingham, is one of a community of two million Muslims living in Britain. "The words go together don't they - Islamic terrorism", she says.

Don't Panic, I'm Islamic meets Muslims who speak openly about what it means to be a British Muslim – at a time when the nation is fighting a 'war on terror'.

"If you have a Muslim name or wear a beard, we are all tarnished with the same brush," says Tariq, a PR executive. World events are forcing young Muslims to confront a crisis over their identity. Tariq changed his name to Daniel Jacob in order to get a job after a series of rejections for employment that he was amply qualified - as Daniel, job offers flooded in.

The programme also uncovers the implications of the prejudice they encounter. Mohamed has been called 'Osama bin London' because he dresses in white robes and a headscarf similar to that worn by the prophet. "They all gathered around me when I went to the airport," he says, "simply because I wear Islamic robes. I told the airport security that I wouldn't be so stupid to dress up like this if I was carrying a bomb."

On the other hand, Sajidah, a softly spoken mother from Slough, explains: "There are many Muslims that come on the television but no one will ever say that they support Bin Laden. But privately if you speak to people there are many that will say what he did was right, that they (America) needed that smack in the face". While Sajidah sympathised with the victims of 9/11, she says that when Muslims are killed – such as those during the war and continuing strife in Iraq - there are no candlelight vigils or stirring speeches about punishing the perpetrators.

The comfortable middle ground is eroding as Muslims are asked to either accept the 'war on terror' and deny their heritage or become radicalised and condemned as 'terrorists'. Don't Panic, I'm Islamic reveals a new current of Islam emerging among those in Britain's youth who reject the need to 'integrate'. "I am British, just like someone else is blonde or a brunette," says one contributor. "I don't need to integrate."

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.bbc.co.uk/religion/programmes/misc/islamic.shtml"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.bbc.co.uk/religion/programmes/misc/islamic.shtml[/url]

As Salaam Alaikum,

In my opinion the Muslims are not the terrorists. But Bush made an interesting and true statement. Because humans are seperated into two catagories. Either your a servant of God, or your a servant of shaitan. Anyone who sides with the non-Muslims against Muslims is a servant of Shaitan.

Akhi is it worth it ?

find out who it's produced, directed and presented by..

some moron who obtained a job with the bbc because s/he goes

drinking with them every friday and is their ideal muslim is a very

boring presenter indeed ESPECIALLY when s/he talks about their

mums biryani *yawn*

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

Sorry bro, couldn't find out those details. But yeah, TV programmes on Islam are often a mixed bag.

Wassalaam.

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

This is related to the programme...

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4079064.stm"]'Muslim? Change your name like me'[/url]

Wassalaam.

I dont want to backbite this brother, but why would someone change their name to Daniel Jacob?

:D wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

Sounds interesting .. :D :D Ima watch it. :D

borbus - the link you gave - I've heard about that before .. it's pretty sad actually, though not surprising. :D

yeh, Inshallah wil watch this 2mw...

(jus a lil reminder) :D

anyone watch it?, i think it was quite good, well there were some dodgy people there, but the overall message was good.

I liked how they showed the contrast between the Kaafir lifestyle and the Islamic.

Some bits were jokes......

I personally loved the guy who said..."Yeah of course you can be a devout muslim and not eat Halaal meat ALL the time, have the odd spare rib, and drink wine every now and again.....doesn't mean your not a good muslim"

REALLY :D !!! I had such a different definition of "Devout Muslim" :D !

OMG did anyone watch that?!

i swear there was this one guy who i wanted to just give a slap too! :D

he was sooo stupid, going on about how yes we need to intergrate into british values and theres nothing wrong with drinking alchoal (on the odd occasion- LIKE IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :D ) and not praying at work if it means being accpeted and all this other rubbish.

this other guy though, i think he was called mohammed, he had a proper common east end accent- that brother gave me jokes :D the guy was too funny.

mashallah i really liked what that brother (the one who fought in bosnia) had to say. I totally agreed with him.

and that english sister was really good too mashallah :D

im a little annoyed though cos on all these supposed 'muslim' opion programmes, they never speak to a wide range of muslims, its always asians with the odd token revert thown in which i find insulting as muslims are soo diverse in this country.

its not like we dont have other muslims- who arent asian who could equally talk, but everything seems to be slanted from an 'asian muslim' perspective, which is meant to represent a wide range of thoughts from muslims when its not.

anyways enough about my rant!

I personally loved the guy who said..."Yeah of course you can be a devout muslim and not eat Halaal meat ALL the time, have the odd spare rib, and drink wine every now and again.....doesn't mean your not a good muslim"

REALLY :D !!! I had such a different definition of "Devout Muslim" :D !

That was the pratt i was talking about!

ufff! :D

That guy made me so angry. He thought having a career was enough to disregard the fundemantals of your deen. And to say praying 5 times a day was hinderance to one's career :D .

Anyhow in general it was quite good except this ridiculous guy! Very good contributors.

Before saying stuff about that bro, can i ask, is this backbiting?

Yes maybe we shouldn't start to insult the guy but we can surely point out the flaws in what he was saying....in my opinion he was misrepresenting Islam and therefore we have to speak out against certain things he said.

The revert sister was very good masha'Allah...

I also liked when they drew comparisons with muslim lifestyle and the typical british lifestyle.....it kind of makes you say Alhamdulillah that I didn't get drawn in by that! Alhamdulillah :D

Before saying stuff about that bro, can i ask, is this backbiting?

Asalaam Alikum

No.

Its stating the truth. We all heard what he said so we can't be accused of talking his words out of context or mis-interpreting what he had to say.

And yes Sister Summer Girl he was a pratt!

Brother Chrism

yeah asmauk, i agree wid u..

after watching it, i said to my mum, it was good except for the person who stated that its ok not to eat halal meat and drink wine sometimes..argh made me quite angry.

the last section of the programme was good..abt the value of a women in Islam.

Asalaam Alikum

I also thought the Brother from MPACUK made some very interesting points and true statements.

Brother Chrism

We can point out what he said was not right, but anything we say which a bro will dislike is backbiting, just dont insult him personally........ i dont wanna take the risk of him taking my good deeds, Allahu Alim,

Assalaam Alaikum,

yeah i just saw the programme too..quite interesting.

I really disliked what that guy who changed his name to a jewish one was saying...his actions and sayings clearly don't show him to be a Muslim!!!!

But yeah that brother who went to Bosnia said some really good points..MashAllah he was pretty open and fearless...and spoke out the truth(one thing that really made me happy was when he used the term Mujahideen instead of extrememist or terrorists..he was the only one to use the correct word)....and that other brother was pretty funny....it was overall a good programme despite some dodgy things that some of the folks said.

Edited by Musst Qalandar