Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sister_Truth

Whats The Difference?

:D brothers and sisters,

i was just wondering if someone can please explain the difference between predestination and free will.

Like how do they work in the same situation. because if we believe in predestination do humans also have free will, how are we able to choose to sin or repent if everything is predestined. I know i may not be making lots of sense but i was just curious, how do these two things work hand in hand. Please back up your answers with Quran and Hadith if possible. JazaakAllah in advance.

:D

sister Verity :D

PropellerAds

Wa alaikum asalaam.

Sister I hope...inshaAllah...this hadith answers your question.

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 6:469, Narrated 'Ali

We were in the company of the Prophet in a funeral procession at Baqi Al-Gharqad. He said, "There is none of you but has his place written for him in Paradise or in the Hell- Fire." They said, "O Allah's Apostle! Shall we depend (on this fact and give up work)?" He said, "Carry on doing (good deeds), for everybody will find it easy to do (what will lead him to his destined place)." Then he recited "As for him who gives (in charity) and keeps his duty to Allah, and believes in the Best reward from Allah (i.e. Allah will compensate him for what he will spend in Allah's way). So, We will make smooth for him the path of ease. But he who is a greedy miser...for him, the path for evil." (92.5-10)

As-salaamu ‘alaikum

Thank you for your question and may Allaah reward you in your pursuit of beneficial knowledge.

The issue of divine degree is amongst the most important of issues since it is one of the pillars of Eemaan, so it is sad to see that this issue is now given its due.

The quick answer is that everything is pre-destined, everything was written down 50,000 years before we were created – However, Allaah is All- Knowing and although we have free will in the sense that we can choose to do good or to bad (and so on), Allaah already knew what choice we would make so it was already written down for us.

At this stage I would like to refer you to an article that explains the issue at hand in great detail, and it can be found at:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ahya(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/amm/modules.php?name=Sections&op=printpage&artid=12"]Al-Qadaa wal-Qadar [/url]

If you have any more related questions please feel free to ask.

Was-salaamu ‘alaikum

abu suhaylah

WOW!

JazaakAllah for your quick and relevant response. You cleared things up for me alhamdulillah.

The quick answer is that everything is pre-destined, everything was written down 50,000 years before we were created – However, Allaah is All- Knowing and although we have free will in the sense that we can choose to do good or to bad (and so on), Allaah already knew what choice we would make so it was already written down for us.

Salam, I think you're confusing "pre-destined" with "pre-known". For example, imagine a pool table. God is holding the cue, so when he breaks the balls, the balls move according to the way God has hit them. This really means there's no free will.. I mean the balls can't just turn direction on their own. This is pre-destined.

Pre-known is somewhat different. Imagine a man cleaning the windows of a 10 story building..He looks down and he can see a car crash about to happen. It doesn't mean he will interfere.. however he can see it WILL happen.

Theres really no "time" barrier for God, so he sees everything that will happen... Pre-destination implies that we have no free will because it is our "destiny".

The quick answer is that everything is pre-destined, everything was written down 50,000 years before we were created –

:D brother,

:D for your simple and straightforward answer. :D I was wondering though - when you say "50,000 years", is this just a random estimate or is there a reported hadith or ayah that mentions this?

As-salaamu 'alaikum

There is a hadeeth reported is Saheeh Muslim, Vol. 4, no. 6416 in which the Prophet (sall-Allaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said:

"Allaah had written the ordained measures (and their due proportions) of the creation, fifty thousand years before the creation of the heavens and the earth as His Arsh (Throne) was on water."

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

abu suhaylah

As-salaamu ‘alaikum

I think what I meant may have been misunderstood so I hope that the following will make the reality of what I meant manifest.

There are 4 aspects of belief in al-Qadr:

1) Al-‘Ilm – Allaah’s Knowledge

Allaah's knowledge encompasses everything. He knows what has occurred, what will occur and all that which has not occurred. He knew everything about His creation before He created it. He knows in His eternal knowledge about His creation, their provisions, life spans, sayings, moves deeds, secrets all of their obedience and disobedient acts, who among them will be people of paradise or who will be from the people of the fire

2) Al-Kitabah – The Writings

Al-Kitabah means that Allaah wrote everything about the creation. He has written what He says and what He does and all that comes to existence due to His actions and sayings. All is written in Umm al-kitaab (lit: the mother of the book) known also as al-Lauh al-Mahfoudh (the preserved tablet) and (ad-dhikr) the original book of records.

3) Allaah’s Mashee’ah – The Will of Allaah

Is the belief that Allaah has willed everything that goes on in the universe. His will and His preordaining power effectively covers everything. Whatever He willed will occur and whatever He did not will not occur.

4) Al-Khaliq – The Creation

Allaah is the sole Creator of everything including mans deeds. No single atom or higher element, static or in motion exists, but Allah has created it. Nothing takes place in this world except Allah has created it.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer, feel free to further discussion on this issue if needs be.

Was-salaamu ‘alaikum

abu suhaylah

Asalamu alaikum,

a brother once gave me a good example. Imagine having a time machine and seeing what happeans and then coming back, you see the people doing the same thing but they are not forced to do it, they are doing it by their own will and no one is forcing them. Similarily in a way, Allah knows what will happean because he is all-knowing, but he is not forcing you to do what you are doing. Allah forgive me if i made a mistake in this explanation.

As-salaamu ‘alaikum

A very important aspect people are missing out is the fact that Allaah created man and his actions and gave man a brain to think and choose and allowed man to do evil (since nothing happens without Allaah’s permission), but it was man’s choice to do evil although he could not have done it unless Allaah had willed for him to do it.

Was-salaamu ‘alaikum

abu suhaylah

:D brother. It's very clear now, :D