Islamic Forum
Yasnov

Britain Drops "war On Terror" Label

Britain Drops "War On Terror" Label

Soure: Daily Mail

December 28, 2007

Military(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

The words "war on terror" will no longer be used by the British government to describe attacks on the public, the country's chief prosecutor said Dec. 27.

Sir Ken Macdonald said terrorist fanatics were not soldiers fighting a war but simply members of an aimless "death cult."

The Director of Public Prosecutions said: 'We resist the language of warfare, and I think the government has moved on this. It no longer uses this sort of language."

London is not a battlefield, he said.

"The people who were murdered on July 7 were not the victims of war. The men who killed them were not soldiers," Macdonald said. "They were fantasists, narcissists, murderers and criminals and need to be responded to in that way."

His remarks signal a change in emphasis across Whitehall, where the "war on terror" language has officially been ditched.

Officials were concerned it could act as a recruiting tool for Al Qaeda, which is determined to manufacture a battle between Islam and the West.

The term "Islamic terrorist" will also no longer be used. Officials believe it is unhelpful because it appears to directly link the religion to terrorist atrocities.

In an interview with BBC Radio's World at One, Macdonald made a fresh attack on plans to extend beyond 28 days the length of time a terror suspect can be held without trial.

He said that the evidence had shown that the existing limit was working well and he accused ministers of legislating on the basis of 'hypotheticals'.

Copyright 2007 Daily Mail. All rights reserved.

PropellerAds
How odd. I was under the impression that that label had been dropped over a year and a half ago.

By American administration?

Wassalam,

Y

No, by the British. Perhaps I was wrong.

Perhaps you are right. I remember that vaguely. It takes the British administration over a year and a half to realize that they are dumb enough for using such label.

Wassalam,

Y

Well then the british can do what they usually do: look condescendingly across the Atlantic and say "at least we figured it out before they did."

Well, 'condescendingly' is your own word. For me they are actually humbly enough to admit that they are wrong.

Why would they look condescendingly to their ally?

Wassalam,

Y

From what I gather from my talks with the british, they don't really even want to consider the US as their friends, much less their allies. There is the official government position, and then there is what the british really think. the truth is, they resent us. They resent the fact that they followed us into a pointless war, and they resent the way Blair was so chummy with us. The "special relationship" is a myth.

:sl:

It does not matter whether they drop this label, or whether they change it from the ''war on terror'' to something else, this does not change the fact that this is a war on Islam...

''and they will not cease fighting with you until they turn you back from your religion, if they can'' (Al-Baqarah, ayah 217)

Edited by Abu Qudamah Al 7atimi

:sl:

It does not matter whether they drop this label, or whether they change it from the ''war on terror'' to something else, this does not change the fact that this is a war on Islam...

''and they will not cease fighting with you until they turn you back from your religion, if they can'' (Al-Baqarah, ayah 217)

There is only a war on Islam, as long as people keep attacking us in thename of Islam.

From what I gather from my talks with the british, they don't really even want to consider the US as their friends, much less their allies. There is the official government position, and then there is what the british really think. the truth is, they resent us. They resent the fact that they followed us into a pointless war, and they resent the way Blair was so chummy with us. The "special relationship" is a myth.

So, you guys (US-UK) look united from the outside, but not in the inside?

It does not matter whether they drop this label, or whether they change it from the ''war on terror'' to something else, this does not change the fact that this is a war on Islam....

I don't know if it will change the situation in the near future. But at least, some people will not get upset anytime they read newspaper and see their religion linked to terrorist acts. Doesn't that completely affect your mood that whole day and after?

There is only a war on Islam, as long as people keep attacking us in thename of Islam.

Then stop slaughtering them in the name of Jesus. Why is that too difficult for you?

Wassalam,

Y

Assalam Alaikum

This article is a surprise for me. Anyways its good move from the UK govt. I hope there intentions are good.

Jazaak Allah Khair for this with us.

May Allah swt guide us all on the right path.. ameen

Then stop slaughtering them in the name of Jesus. Why is that too difficult for you?

Wassalam,

Y

We're not slaughtering them in the name of Jesus, we're killing terrorists that brought the war to us. Some leaders talk about Jesus, yes, which I don't like any more than you do. It's silly and counter-productive.

As to the "war on terror" label.... I'd be happy if our governments stopped screwing around with semantics and concentrated on finding a solution to the task at hand.

We're not slaughtering them in the name of Jesus, we're killing terrorists that brought the war to us. Some leaders talk about Jesus, yes, which I don't like any more than you do. It's silly and counter-productive.

There is always war ... as long as your government & troops manipulate and slaughter those people in the name of oil and democracy.

As to the "war on terror" label.... I'd be happy if our governments stopped screwing around with semantics and concentrated on finding a solution to the task at hand.

Your govt is tired, emberassed and defeated in their own war. Don't be so harsh on them.

Wassalam,

Y

Assalam Alaikum

This article is a surprise for me. Anyways its good move from the UK govt. I hope there intentions are good.

Jazaak Allah Khair for this with us.

May Allah swt guide us all on the right path.. ameen

Wa'alaikum salam,

You are welcome, Sister. Ameen for the dua ...

Wassalam,

Y

There is always war ... as long as your government & troops manipulate and slaughter those people in the name of oil and democracy.

Your govt is tired, emberassed and defeated in their own war. Don't be so harsh on them.

Wassalam,

Y

Oil and Democracy? I thought it was Jesus a minute ago.

my Government is going strong, with a lot of support in our war, actually. I think that the play with semantics should be stopped though, among our allies and us.

Oil and Democracy? I thought it was Jesus a minute ago.

Yes, you already admitted that. So we can now look into another reason, can't we?

my Government is going strong

And troops' morale is going weaker. Your govt should stop using their young men for some elitists' wars

Wassalam,

Y

Yes, you already admitted that. So we can now look into another reason, can't we?

And troops' morale is going weaker. Your govt should stop using their young men for some elitists' wars

Wassalam,

Y

Weak morale? Non-combatant soldiers and sailors are clamouring to get spots in Afghanistan, we even have waiting lists, since the applications are so backed up. I can speak from experience, the troops morale and belief in the mission is going strong, and not likely to wane anytime soon.

Weak morale? Non-combatant soldiers and sailors are clamouring to get spots in Afghanistan, we even have waiting lists, since the applications are so backed up.

We're talking about the troops that are already in Afghanistan and Iraq and are shot at and killed over there.

I can speak from experience, the troops morale and belief in the mission is going strong, and not likely to wane anytime soon.

Well, maybe you speak with some volunteers who go to Iraq because they have family issues or are slightly loony. You need to listen to the statements made by soldiers in various press interviews and the statements made by military spokespersons, not on some right-wing fantasy. Not to mention that the Army's suicide rate is at its highest in 23 years and the mental health surveys of troops in Iraq (released in May 2007).

Wassalam,

Y

We're talking about the troops that are already in Afghanistan and Iraq and are shot at and killed over there.

Well, maybe you speak with some volunteers who go to Iraq because they have family issues or are slightly loony. You need to listen to the statements made by soldiers in various press interviews and the statements made by military spokespersons, not on some right-wing fantasy. Not to mention that the Army's suicide rate is at its highest in 23 years and the mental health surveys of troops in Iraq (released in May 2007).

Wassalam,

Y

I think we're talking about different countries and different armies, Yasnov. I'm Canadian. We don't have people in that Iraq cluster-$&%^, which is probably why people are still for the mission.

I think we're talking about different countries and different armies, Yasnov. I'm Canadian. We don't have people in that Iraq cluster-$&%^, which is probably why people are still for the mission.

Other than the Canadian Armed Forces' outreach program to lure the Canadian youth in education institutions who are in vulnerable economic situation and are unable to find a livelihood to support themselves or to pay for further training or studies, what else did your govt tell you about the war? Did they tell you that Canada has earned the respect of its Nato partners? The NATO Military mission is supported by the Afghan People? NATO counter-insurgency operations have brought greater peace and security to Afghanistan? Canada is providing humanitarian and reconstruction aid? Canada is upholding international law and the Geneva Conventions? Canada is helping the people of Afghanistan?

No wonder then the Canadian youth are clamouring to get spots in Afghanistan, and you even have waiting lists : )

I doubt that would be the case if your government has been open and honest about the war ...

The spirits of the country's "national treasures in uniform" are down and they need the public's support now more than ever in the wake of a bloody week that claimed the lives of three soldiers from Quebec, Canada's top soldier said Friday. Speaking at a so-called Red Friday rally in Toronto, Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Rick Hillier acknowledged troop morale is "lower" after the Quebec-based soldiers - two from the famed Van Doos regiment - were killed in Afghanistan by roadside bomb blasts.

Full story:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_ca.news.yahoo(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/s/capress/070824/national/cne_troops_rally"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_ca.news.yahoo(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/s/capress/070824/...ne_troops_rally[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yethfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=57101&sc=89"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yethfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=57101&sc=89[/url]

Wassalam,

Y

Other than the Canadian Armed Forces' outreach program to lure the Canadian youth in education institutions who are in vulnerable economic situation and are unable to find a livelihood to support themselves or to pay for further training or studies, what else did your govt tell you about the war? Did they tell you that Canada has earned the respect of its Nato partners? The NATO Military mission is supported by the Afghan People? NATO counter-insurgency operations have brought greater peace and security to Afghanistan? Canada is providing humanitarian and reconstruction aid? Canada is upholding international law and the Geneva Conventions? Canada is helping the people of Afghanistan?

By outreach program, I assume you mean "offering people jobs". Yes, the Canadian military does show up and mans a booth at University job fairs, just like IBM, the RCMP, INCO, and any other employer looking for college educated employees.

All of those things you asked are true. The efforts are aiding the Afghan people, and we, along with the British, American, Australian and Dutch forces, are taking the brunt of the workload and the casualties. Damn right we're important to the mission.

And quoting Rick Hillier in such a fashion means that you have little to know knowledge of anything else about him. Besides, read it again. He says that morale is lower after the deaths, not bottomed out and mutinous. Of course we're saddened by the death of our brothers. We respect human life, unlike the Mujis.

{Moderator note}

This post has violated forum rule #39. Action taken.

For more details, please read our (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?act=boardrules"]Forum Rules[/url].

By outreach program, I assume you mean "offering people jobs". Yes, the Canadian military does show up and mans a booth at University job fairs, just like IBM, the RCMP, INCO, and any other employer looking for college educated employees.

The youth were lured under the guise of high ideals and myths about Canada's role in Afghanistan and through the use of monetary incentives, and then the military is taking advantage of the vulnerable economic situation many youth are in, neither being able to find a livelihood to support themselves nor to pay for further training or studies.

All of those things you asked are true. The efforts are aiding the Afghan people, and we, along with the British, American, Australian and Dutch forces, are taking the brunt of the workload and the casualties. Damn right we're important to the mission.

According to the UN, there has been a 30% rise in violence in Afghanistan during 2007. There has also been a huge increase in civilian casualties in the past year. More than 200 civilians were killed in June 2007 by U.S. air strikes and NATO ground operations. More civilians are killed by US/NATO forces than by the Taliban according to the UN (Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs -- IRIN -- July, 2007).

According to Action Aid International (2006), only 14% of U.S. aid to Afghanistan was used for economic assistance and reconstruction. According to the Senlis Council (2006) only 10% of Canada's aid was non-military. According to NGO Action Aid (2005), 60% of all Canada's development aid was defined as "phantom aid." This means that most of the aid is only provided for the purchase of Canadian products ("tied aid") -- a policy which takes food four to five months longer to arrive in Afghanistan and drives down prices for local farmers' produce. Also, much of the remaining aid was skimmed off by corrupt officials in the Afghan government. The so-called 3-D approach (defence/development/diplomacy) is a sham. The primary purpose of all Western aid to Afghanistan is to fund the U.S./NATO war against the Afghan resistance.

And quoting Rick Hillier in such a fashion means that you have little to know knowledge of anything else about him. Besides, read it again. He says that morale is lower after the deaths, not bottomed out and mutinous. Of course we're saddened by the death of our brothers. We respect human life, unlike the Mujis.

So, you are another victim of your government propaganda.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetyayacanada(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/afghanistan.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetyayacanada(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/afghanistan.html[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetyayacanada(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/saba_torstar_mackay_afghanistan.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetyayacanada(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/saba_torstar_mac...fghanistan.html[/url]

Wassalam,

Y