Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
seven

Art & Design In Your Uni.

Which gender (Muslims only) is more popular in studying Art & Design in your Uni?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which gender (Muslims only) is more popular in studying Art & Design in your Uni?

• More Brothers
    • More Sisters
    • Roughly the same
    • Hardly any
    • Don't know, don't care
    • Other (Please state)

Asalamu Alaikum

Well out of interest, I just wanted to know the ratio of Muslims studying Art & Design courses in other Universities in the UK. Around the world too, though I think it'll be Colleges for Americans as they seem to study degrees in Colleges. Quite a few other places too I happen to know.

Anyway, Art & Design courses would include:

Fine Art,

Interior Design,

Graphic Design,

Photography,

Web Design,

Ceramics and,

File and Video production.

Vote anyway! :D

PropellerAds

Asalamu Alaikum

Would be nice if you could also list what courses they do too. Right now, at my Art School I'm the only Muslim doing graphic design. :D

:D

my high school specializes in art, and its pretty much balanced. :D

okay, there's:

photography

graphic design

drawing and painting

illustration

nd i cant remember the other stuff....im sure there's more though. :D

Asalamu Alaikum

Hmm, no replies. I guess 'tis true, no Muslims seem to want to go into Art & Design careers. I have heard, 'tis because they're either forced by their parents or because of the money. I can't seriously believe every Muslim is interested in medicine, engineering, and ICT. There must be some hidden agenda I'm sure.

Allahu Alim.

By the way sister, I was asking about degree level if you couldn't work that out, as this when people decide their career. But, thanks for replying though. In high school, we all love art, but does that interest then die away with the parents forcing their kids into other areas of study or, suddenly die when they realise there's not much money in that area of work? Money over happines? Not quite sure on that one.

It is sad to see that Muslims consider that money comes over jobs, I was going under the assumption that we should do jobs because of the fields we are interested in, is this how fake we have become? That we need to live a secure life rather than a fulfilled one? Many people are forced into doing medicine, or a job that pays, what does that say about the people of our religon?

Furthermore, how can you expect a united Ummah when half of its population are doctors and engineers? There's no need to make false hopes like that if you dont expect many creative muslims to come out is there!

I'll reply from my brother's perspective, cuz I ain't in uni. :D And he said, he hardly ever saw Muslims in the Art fields. He's seen a few brothers, and never any sisters.

And yeah, I think it is because there are more social pressures to go into medicine, law, engineering, etc. More money, status, and that wonderful stuff. :D It is money over happiness..

I was asking about degree level if you couldn't work that out

whoops..... :D

Many people are forced into doing medicine, or a job that pays, what does that say about the people of our religon?

very true.....my friend really wants to be an interior designer, but her father said she has to be a doctor, engineer, or a lawyer. :D

Asalamu Alaikm

I guess that's why this poll didn't get the attention it deserved. We crave for other things... maybe.

Sister, I hope your friend really gets to do what she wants. Thank you for replying, both of you.

Hmm, interestingly enough, my uni's Art and Design courses are full of females.

The males mostly opt for Engineering or Business-based courses.

its mostly dependant on the reigon isnt it? But still.....i see lots desi going into medicine. I went into the university of cambridge (3rd best university in the world) and guess what....

no muslims doing art and design, and only 1 muslim doing english.

i am studying Film and TV production and i am the only muslim in the whole uni doing this course...i even think i am the only muslimah in Australia who does this field.

Asalamu Alaikum

Good on ya sister. We need more Muslims in the creative fields.

I hope there's more Muslims doing Art & Design when I start Uni. It's hard not being around Muslims whislt studying.

Assalam-ul-Alaikum,

Well, I know a sister who's doing graphic design just like you bro.

You know this topic- Amr Khaled talks about it a lot..we Muslims can't be an independent, self-sufficient, powerful Ummah until we're "great" in all fields, not just medicine and engineering...

how many Muslims think about writing books for kids and children? Not that many!

How many think about returning Islam to its glory through their art? Maybe a lot- but they rarely get to do it, because their parents don't find it a "respected" job.

:D Istagfir Allahoo al azeem!

May Allah help you all- and let you succed in your works, sister Verity and others!