Islamic Forum
Its_My_Life

Niqab Or No Niqab?

Prescribed Methods of Covering

Tafseer - Ibn Katheer

"Allah commanded the muslim women to cover this sheet on top of them to cover their bodies except one eye, when it is necessary for them to come out of their homes."

Tafseer - Commentary by Ibn Jarir and Ahkam-ul-Quran, Vol.III, p.457

Imam Muhammad bin Sirin said: "When I asked Ubaida bin Sufyan bin al-Harith (ra) the meaning of this verse and how the jalbaab was to worn, he demonstrated it to me by pulling a sheet of cloth over his head to cover his entire body, leaving the left eye uncovered. This was also the explanation of the word 'Alaihinna in this verse"

Tafseer - Alu'si, Rul-ul-Ma'ani, Vol. 22, p. 89

"Ibn Jarir Tabari and Ibn Al-Mundhir described the method of wearing the jalbaab according to Ibn Abbas (ra) and Qatadah (ra). The sheet should be wrapped around from the top, covering the forehead, then bringing one side of the sheet to cover the face below the eyes so that most of the face and the upper body is covered. This will leave both eyes uncovered (which is allowed in necessity).

PropellerAds

:D

I don't get how niqaab can be fardh/wajib for the following reasons:

1. None of the scholars insist on covering the face in Salaah for women.

2. Once while the prophet was admonishing and preaching to a group of women after having admonished the men on the Id day, "...a woman having a dark spot on her cheek stood up..." seeking clarification on the subject the prophet was discussing. (Sahih Muslim, Vol. 2, Hadith No. 1926)

According to this, how can covering the face be compulsory if the Prophet (pbuh) didn't object to her not covering her face?

3. The Prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, "...The Muhrima (a woman in the state of Ihram) should not cover her face, or wear gloves." (Sahih Bukhari, Vol. 3, Hadith No. 1838)

If exposing the face is Haraam for women, then how can it be made Fard in Ihraam?

4. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof... (Al-Qur'an 24:31)

When Ibne Abbaas (RA), the leading commentator of the Qur'an was asked about the verse mentioned above as to what it meant, he replied, "it refers to the face and hands".

(Collected by Ibn Abee Shaybah in al-Musannaf, Vol. 3, p. 540 & 541, hadith no. 16997 & 17012 and al-Bayhaqi in Sunan al- Kubraa. Al-Albaanee ruled in Jilbaab al-Mar'ah al-Muslimah, pp 59-60, that the isnaad of this statement is saheeh.)

P.s: I'm just trying to understand. I do NOT wish to have a debate.

:D Muezza

no you dont cover your face during salaah but if you think that there is a chance a stranger may pass by near you then you do cover your face and hands.

2. i've never heard of that hadith but if its true then could it be that it took place before the command for hijab? or there could be another reason behind that you gota check that out first ... or no?

3. yes but from an authentic hadith it's also recorded that Aishah would put a cloth over her face when a stranger would pass by. then she would lift it off again. by the way, he said women in ihram shouldnt cover thier face and hands so that means women not in ihram should? if women not in ihram werent to cover thier face and hands why would he address that specifically?

The muhrimah should not uncover her face or hands in front of non-mahram men using the excuse that the niqaab and gloves are among the things that are forbidden in ihraam, because they can cover their faces and hands with anything such as their clothes, scarves, etc. Umm al-Mu’mineen ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “The riders used to pass by us when we were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in ihraam. When they came alongside us we would lower our jilbaabs from our heads over our faces, and when they had passed by we would uncover them.â€

4. i've never heard of that so i'll keep my mouth shut for now .. lol

i didnt mean anything offensively. i was only trying to clear up as much as i know.

Edited by *Hana*

niqab fard or not fard "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muhajabah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/niqab-index.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muhajabah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/niqab-index.htm[/url]

Guest amani
As SAlaam Alaikum Amani,

Thank you for referring me back to your link, I didn't really read your first post, so sorry if you were disrespected.  :D

Also,

Just becuase someone disagrees with scholars it doesn't mean that they are trying to be disrespectful to them or trying to say "You are not qualified to know" neither are they trying to say "My opinion is better than yours". No one is saying "i disprespect you" also.

salaam

:D :D

i do not object to asking questions dear sister but when comment like the following in bold is made

Allah says "and tell the believing woman to cover thier beauty and adornments except what (ordinary) appear".  Do these women who cover themselves completely (absouloutly nothing shown which is common among niqabis, at least where I am from) suddenly think they know better than Allah?

then im sorry but i do object.

the reason?

well you see niqab as not wajib, and you have evidence for that.

those sisters who see niqab as wajib have their evidence for that. so how can there be *suddenly think the know better than Allah* ?! these sisers have evidence to back up what they are doing.

ahm thanks for the site :D

:sl: :)

i do not object to asking questions dear sister but when comment like the following in bold is made

then im sorry but i do object.

the reason?

well you see niqab as not wajib, and you have evidence for that.

those sisters who see niqab as wajib have their evidence for that. so how can there be *suddenly think the know better than Allah* ?! these sisers have evidence to back up what they are doing.

ahm thanks for the site :D

As-salaamu 'alaikum

Excellent points, and I agree!

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

abu suhaylah

It seems to me as though those who wear hijab feel that they are doing what is right and what is expected of them Islamically and the same for the niqaabi sisters. I doubt there will be any definate answer here at the end of the discussion. So I just think that a hijabi sister should not be looked down upon by those who are of the opinion that niqaab should be worn and vice versa, and I am not implying that that happened here, it is just a general comment.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ibnfarooq/niqaab.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ibnfarooq/niqaab.htm[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/niqab/niqabfardh.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/niqab/niqabfardh.html[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_muttaqun(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/niqab.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_muttaqun(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/niqab.html[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_fatwaislam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=498"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_fatwaislam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=498[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=11774&dgn=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...&QR=11774&dgn=4[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=12525&dgn=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...&QR=12525&dgn=4[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=13646&dgn=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...&QR=13646&dgn=4[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=23496&dgn=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...&QR=23496&dgn=4[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=21536&dgn=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...&QR=21536&dgn=4[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=21134&dgn=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...&QR=21134&dgn=4[/url]

Ridiculing a Woman in Niqab

SurahTaubah 9:64-67

Say: "Was it at Allâh (swt), and His Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and His Messenger  that you were mocking?"

Make no excuse; you have disbelieved after you had believed. If We pardon some of you, We will punish others amongst you because they were Mujrimûn (disbelievers, polytheists, sinners, criminals, etc.).

-----------

Sis Leila, naam, only some arrogant people do that. I don't think that any of us, munaqabaat, on this forum look down on those that are not.

Exactly, theres no use for us to wear niqaab and let it get to our heads. For those who wear niqaab and look down on others, if they're doing it for emulating the female companion, then may they remember that female companions had humility and respect for others.

I do admire my sisters who wear hijaab, because for a lot even wearing hijaab is such a hardship. Whatever you choose, niqaab or hijaab, as long as you do it with a sincere heart for the sake of Allah thats the main goal. May Allah :D have mercy on us all and let us do what is right and behave with humility.

Sis Leila, naam, only some arrogant people do that. I don't think that any of us, munaqabaat, on this forum look down on those that are not.

:D Sister, I agree with you that they do not. :D

Exactly, theres no use for us to wear niqaab and let it get to our heads.  For those who wear niqaab and look down on others, if they're doing it for emulating the female companion, then may they remember that female companions had humility and respect for others.

I do admire my sisters who wear hijaab, because for a lot even wearing hijaab is such a hardship.  Whatever you choose, niqaab or hijaab, as long as you do it with a sincere heart for the sake of Allah thats the main goal.  May Allah :D have mercy on us all and let us do what is right and behave with humility.

:D, well said sister.

Controversial issues like this one, are often discussed repeatedly between moderate and strict Muslims. To save our members' time and minimize the confusion, specially for those new to Islam, we have prepared a centralized topic, where you can read what scholars had to say about it. These issues should only be discussed each in its designated topic (some topics are prohibited to discuss in IF, and so you'll only be able to read what we have for you there).

Please click to see a list of our (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showforum=468"]topics on controversial issues[/url]. That list covers issues that members cannot discuss elsewhere in IF.