Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shaji55

Dogs In Islam

salam,

i am moving into a larger house and i would like a guard dog. i know that dogs are najis in Islam but i heard that it is ok to keep a dog for guarding. can someone please tell me more about this.

PropellerAds

Originally Posted by sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Having a dog as a pet is prohibitively disliked (makruh tahriman). However, there is no harm in acquiring a hunting dog, or a guard dog to protect one’s sheep or property. [Al-Hadiyyah al-’Alaiyyah 347]

It is related by Abu Huraira (Allah be well pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Whoever acquires a dog, with the exception of a dog for hunting, or guarding sheep, or protecting the harvest, then a large portion of his reward will be diminished every day.†[Reported by Bukhari and Muslim]

Abu Talha relates (Allah be well pleased with him), that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “The angels do not enter a house that has a dog or a picture.†[Reported by Bukhari and Muslim]

It is mentioned in al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, that one should not keep a dog unless they fear a thief or fear anything else. One should know that acquiring a dog for guarding is legally permissible, as is acquiring a dog for hunting or for protecting the harvest and livestock. [5:362]

Fadi Qutub

Amman , Jordan

:D

Any Muslim who keeps a dog must care for it properly. I have heard of cases where Muslims keep the dogs (as guard dogs) under bad conditions. This is Haram and is a very Grave sin. One must feed the dog with proper dog food and shelter it properly especially under cold or rainy weather. Also frequent visits to the vet must is essential in times where the dog may seem to be sick or ill.

---------------------

Vist my new Islamic Site:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html[/url]

Edited by Mu'maneen

just wanted to ask...

say if someone has a dog...and did not have the correct knowledge before...but then last realised the consquences etc of keeping a dog....

and then throughout the years ....found that, the dog had helped to guard the house and other property....and kept away racist people etc.

then is the dog a guard dog?

If the person did not have the correct knowledge of dogs while they had such dogs, and they then realise, Allah may forgive them completely of their mistakes depending on their access to knowledge. If they then decide to keep the dogs for gaurding, then this is Halal :D.

---------------------

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html[/url]

I don't have much knowledge about dogs, but I have heard that the dog's saliva is impure and that we need to wash 7times (one with soil) anything that the dog's saliva touches. Is that true? If it is, I'm curious how people have dogs in their house. Would that mean they have to wash themselves & other things around the house 7times all the time? Sorry if the question sounds abit stupid. I don't know much about this.

we need to wash 7times (one with soil) anything that the dog's saliva touches.

The correct opinion is that only feeding utensils should be washed seven times if the Saliva comes into contact. If its saliva comes into contact with our skin for instance, only wash it off to remove the impurities.

---------------------

JazaakAllah for that bro. I guess the person who told me about it has different opinion/teachings. He mentioned that if the saliva comes in contact with the skin, we need to wash it 7times as it would be break our wudu and impure to pray. His explaination is that if dog's saliva makes it impure for utensil, the same apply for skin as the main issue here is the dog's saliva itself. But Allahualam. I need to read more about this though I don't keep dog so InshaaAllah I won't have to face with this problem.

:D Dear Brother of Islam. The following Hadith should clarify this up:

The Prophet :D said:

"If a dog licks a plate (or pot), clean it seven times, of which one time should be with sand or earth."

Reported by al-Bukhari.

---------------------

someone told me the black dog is the shaytan .....is that true?

whqat about in my case where my family who are non-muslim have a dog, as a family pet. i cannot tell them to get rid of the dog as it is their family pet and they are non-muslim. i try and steer clear of the dog and i pray in my room which is a place where the dog doesnt go.

will i still be held accountable for it...will the angels still come to my house?

Sister Verity,if the dogs in the "house" then angels will not enter. the room is within in the house so the angels wont enter, Allahu Aalim.

but i cant do anything about it...so are you telling me none of any of my prayers will be answered because my NON MUSLIM family have a dog. What should i do :D

i have also heard this,...brother Mu'maneen can you please expand on this issue?

Sister Verity,if the dogs in the "house" then angels will not enter. the room is within in the house so the angels wont enter, Allahu Aalim

brother can you provide a source for this, as i am also unaware of this.

but i cant do anything about it...so are you telling me none of any of my prayers will be answered because my NON MUSLIM family have a dog. What should i do

Do not worry Dear Sister of Islam. If there are no Angels in a room this does not mean that Allah does not accept the Prayer. Your prayer will be accepted by Allah but if there are no Angels in a room then one may fall prone to Shaytan or Jinn that can affect ones Khus'u (concentration).

The Hadith includes where Prophet Muhammad :D says:

"The black dog is a Shaytan (devil)"

Muslim, 510.

From understanding of the Hadith and from Scholars, this does not mean 100% all black dogs are Shaytan. One of the creatures Shaytan imitates is the black dog.

---------------------

Edited by Mu'maneen

jazaakAllah for clearing this all up brother...i was worried for a second there :D

Alhamdulillah i understand now, so thanks.

:D Fe Dunya Wal Akhira Dear Sister of Islam. Also if there is an area you know that the dog likes to lick, then try and avoid praying in that area.

---------------------

good advice there..

just wanted to ask...

if someone wants to get rid of a dog...then how can one do so?

i.e. if the dog is quite old....about 10-11years...

what options are there? and to ensure the dog is not harmed?

1) give it away to a family- but the problem arises that the dog wont be able to adapt due to, the people it knows, food it eats, place where it lived etc.

2) get it put down? doesnt sound right

3) make sincere dua that Allah swt takes its life away, painlessly..i.e in its sleep

If there is no-one trustworthy to accept the dog then what I suggest is, to look after the dog until Allah decrees its time for death. A dog at that age would not medically live too long after 10-11 years, WallahuA'alim.

As you are worried for its health and safetly, not only will you get Hasanat for it, but the dog will stand by you on The Day of Judgment.

---------------------

Jazak Allah Khairun 4 ur prompt reply..

"The black dog is a Shaytan (devil)"

Muslim, 510.

From understanding of the Hadith and from Scholars, this does not mean 100% all black dogs are Shaytan.  One of the creatures Shaytan imitates is the black dog.

---------------------

jazakallah brother for clearing that up..... :D