Islamic Forum
--**MinorityOpinions**--

Do You Worry About Who You Meet?

As Salaam Alaikum,

Do you worry about who you meet?

I think I am paranoid about who I talk to. Like when I am with Muslims I try not to come off as too strong, becuase I don't know how much thhey practice. So i don't want to offend them.

Also I worry about if they are really big on practicing and if they are really bias to different cultures, religions, etc... like just negative negative. SO I worry about that a lot.

And then I admit, I worry about if they are extreme too. lol.

Like Muslims are so different that it really gets on my nerves alot.

salaam

PropellerAds

:D

I don't really care, as long as they don't push whatever un Islamic ways they have onto me. If they do, tis over. I don't mind prooving to them my point, but usually I see some people as tryin to lower my imaan, and its no use. If they're not gonna have an effect on me, and they don't talk about un Islamic stuff, I'm cool with them and stick around in hopes I can help them if they wanna change. :D

I understand whats being said here..

For the most part i dont say much Islamic things because as the sister said i dont wana come off as being too religious because that is wrong as i'm not but i only try to do the best i can what i know with my limited knowledge :D.. i've already been called extremist :D by some fellow muslims..!

Not really. :D I'm just myself with most people I meet. Sure Muslims are different from each other - but so are nonMuslims - and that's the best part. If I have differences with someone, even regarding our religions, I love sitting down and talking it out. I've done it with a lot of my Muslim friends who are from different sects - and it hasn't hurt our friendship - it just makes us more aware of what the other person is really about. And anyway, it's always best to move ahead with the similarities in our faiths, than to constantly attack the differences.

Hmm, also I think where you live is a major factor of how you behave with people - :D I'm in a country where Muslims are everywhere, so there's a comfort level which people who live in US/UK unfortunately wouldn't find. (Just assuming here, so correct me if I'm wrong :D )

Keeping Faith: i need your friends ! lol! :D

*cause we live in the same place*

But you see, for me, I'm sorta like doomhammer. I've had some friends that have been called *extremist* for doing even "less" than what I think is...you know appropiate, so yeah, i tend to sort of lay it low.....

its really bad (actually) and alhamdillah, i have started having more imaan. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? They might think i'm an extremist and stop talking to me, but hey, its better than belittling Allah, right.

^so that is my new attitude, and insha Allah things will get better...

at the same time, i sometimes feel like other Muslims (on some forums at least) think i'm a "liberal" one...you know what i mean? Like I felt on one that people must think "oh, she's not really a practicing Muslimah"...but that could have just been paranoia :D :D

But you see, for me, I'm sorta like doomhammer. I've had some friends that have been called *extremist* for doing even "less" than what I think is...you know appropiate, so yeah, i tend to sort of lay it low.....

That's really sad, sis. :D Y'know, I'm friends with some girls who are :D very good Muslims (although Allah knows best), but they've been faced with other Muslims :D who call them extremist just for following Islam wholly and completely. It's so dumb really - extremism is when you're out of Islam, not when you're doing your best to better your eman. :D

I mean, what's the worst that could happen? They might think i'm an extremist and stop talking to me, but hey, its better than belittling Allah, right.

Great attitude! :D

at the same time, i sometimes feel like other Muslims (on some forums at least) think i'm a "liberal" one...you know what i mean? Like I felt on one that people must think "oh, she's not really a practicing Muslimah"

Hmm.. in the end, you know who you are sis. I guess we just have to keep faith in Allah and do our utmost to please Him. People will talk, y'know. Just have to know when to listen.

Words can only hurt if you listen to them :D

I simply donot care what others make out of me, because i know within me that i am doing what is right according to the Quran and Sunnah. Usually people around me tend to respect my beliefs and my lifestyle. I really appreciate that attitude i get because its exactly the type of people you want to be with who are tolerant and understanding. Those muslims who call other muslims extremists just because they are tyring to pratice their religion to fullest, are nothing but hypocrites and modernists. Those who have given up faith for desire. Ignoring them can be difficult but that is the part of the trial that Allah tests us with.

May Allah encircle us with friends and relatives who are willing to please Allah against all odds. Amin.

I am with Islamicbrother. I am me full stop. I wouldnt change for no one or tone it down for anyone. Why?? Cos in the end, I will be answerable to Allah. So being yourself will filter the kind of friends you have. You find that those who disagree with your lifestyle drop out whilst you pick new friends who like what you like.

So if i think i am speaking to someone more knowledgeable, i will try to pick their brains and increase my knowledge. If i am speaking to someone who knows less than i do, i try to spend few beneficial time with them and talk about the deen. If i am speaking to those who are stuck in their ways and carry cultural baggage, i try to correct them in a nice gentle manner, and it is up to them if they take it or not, at the end of the day, i have done my duty.

Only last night, i was explaining to my uncle about the hadith where the prophet (saw) said that brother in law is death. He said i have never heard of the hadith and doubt it exists. Cos he was upset that i left my brother-in-law in the house by himself whilst my husband was away. He said 'in our culture, these things are alien to us, you have to welcome the relatives of the husband'. Which i agreed but staying with him in the house alone wasnt on, i told him. He said ;this is what our forefathers used to do'..wherever have i heard that one before. Anyhow my mom backed me up saying, the hadith exists and it is the way things should be done.