Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SolidSnake

Step-parents

Asalamu Alaikum,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me the status of step-parents in Islam. We know that in Islam Parents, especially the mother are held in high positions of respect but what is the attitude towards your step-father or mother, is it the same or different. Jazakair'Allah in advance

PropellerAds

Walaikum Assalam!

The stepfather or stepmother must be given as much respect as a real mother and father. They are included in the people who you cannot marry, as mentioned in the following verses, relevant phrases underlined by me for emphasis:

4:22. And marry not women whom your fathers married,- except what is past: It was shameful and odious,- an abominable custom indeed.

4:23. Prohibited to you (For marriage) are:- Your mothers, daughters, sisters; father's sisters, Mother's sisters; brother's daughters, sister's daughters; foster-mothers (Who gave you suck), foster-sisters; your wives' mothers; your step-daughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom ye have gone in,- no prohibition if ye have not gone in;- (Those who have been) wives of your sons proceeding from your loins; and two sisters in wedlock at one and the same time, except for what is past; for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful;-

Wassalam