Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mu'min

Ignorant To Islam

I am struggling with Islam.

I am American. I am Christian by upbringing and practice but I met a Muslim gentleman at a conference this past week that had an impact on me.

I believe in God, in the oneness of God but I am largely ignorant to Islam as a practice and way of life.

I am seeking to dispell that.

PropellerAds

Salam everyone,

I need to learn the most basic of Islamic prayers to get me through a few weeks as I learn to pray properly.

Someone give me something, somekind of limited prayer for English speaking mu'min's to pray.

Help me.

hi,

if you are looking to learn how to pray visit "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/salat/salatfinal.html"]Salat[/url]

and if you would like to learn more about Islam and its principles visit:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam-guide(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]A brief illustrated guide to unserstanding Islam[/url]

for any more questions dont hesitate to post ur questions...

sorry for the delayed reply

From

Verity

Peace mu'min!

First of all welcome to the Forum. May your stay here be fruitful.

It is very encouraging to learn that you are interested in removing your ignorance of Islam and are a believer in the Oneness of Allah :D.

I suggest you read the topic created by brother abu_suhaylah at "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=7682"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=7682[/url].

Then try and get hold of a book entitled "The Fundamentals of Islam" by Maulana Abul A'ala Mawdoodi. It is an excelent compilation of some sermons he gave about all matters that affect our performance of the deen.

Then read the various literature available on the internet, one link has been provided by sister verity.

Peace out.

Asalamu'alaikum to you all,

Thank you so much for all the responses and links and advice. I am currently reading through the Qur'an (english Translation) and increasing my prayer times to 5 times day.

Can anyone tell me the proper times to pray and what to pray? Right now I simply read Al-Fatiha. I know there is much more but I simply don't know.

Walaikum'salam

Walaikum Assalam!

The best site to give you the time, the direction and the nearest masjid is "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicfinder(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicfinder(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url].

Surah Fateha is essential. Learn other suras, way to pray and other things from "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_english.islamway(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_english.islamway(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url].

Wassalam

Dear Mu'min

Welcome... I am a convert to Islaam and I guess that you are asking the same questions as most of us who have converted to Islaam did at one stage. I am a little confused though, in your first post you said you are a Christian looking into Islaam, but later on you were asking how to pray, can I just ask you, have you actually embraced Islaam yet and taken your declaration of faith? I do not ask to offend you but just so we know where to start and so we are better placed to answer your questions, which I hope will be bucket falls.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

abu suhaylah

Dear Mu'min

Welcome... I am a convert to Islaam and I guess that you are asking the same questions as most of us who have converted to Islaam did at one stage. I am a little confused though, in your first post you said you are a Christian looking into Islaam, but later on you were asking how to pray, can I just ask you, have you actually embraced Islaam yet and taken your declaration of faith? I do not ask to offend you but just so we know where to start and so we are better placed to answer your questions, which I hope will be bucket falls.

Salam abu_suhaylah,

When I spoke about "being a Christian" I meant to point out that I am historically Christian and that my wife is Christian but that I had been struggling with Islam for several years while I continued with my Christian Tradition. I am very torn up about this right now but I have said the Shahada but I am still reconciling myself with my past Christian faith and Islam. I need help doing this and understanding Islam and it's why I'm here. I just need help.

I think of myself as a Mu'min thus the online name. I believe in Allah and that He is one and that the Muhammad (peace be with him) was his Prophet. Ameen.

After this I am lost.

Salaam

As-salaamu 'alaikum

I am very pleased to hear such good news, may I ask what part of the world you live in?

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

abu suhaylah

As-salaamu 'alaikum

I am very pleased to hear such good news, may I ask what part of the world you live in?

Asalamu'alaikum Abu_suhaylah,

I am American and currently live in the Southern States. I know a couple of members here at my workplace, Little-Mahdi and Ignatius but it was while I was at a Conference in Miami Beach that I met a very pious Sunni Muslim gentleman and was drawn to met with him and talk. The rest of the Conference I reflected on Allah and the Qur'an. Once I got home, I took down all my Islamic books from the shelves and started reading the Qur'an and I haven't stopped since. I still don't know what is going on. I don't know what I'm going to do with my Church membership and my tithings or what I will do with everything but I can't deny that something profound has happened to me. It's like pulling the blinds on a bright spring morning.

Wasalamu'alaikum

Edited by mu'min

:D mu'min

It is great news that you took your shahada. You said you know brother little mahdi, from what i remember he was knowledgeable and very calm person. He will be great help to you inshallah. The only advice i can give you is to take it slowly but surely. Ask away if you have any questions or doubts. Times be hard at times, but remember to be patient and again brother..take it slowly.

Salaam aleykum

Salam abu_suhaylah,

I am very torn up about this right now but I have said the Shahada but I am still reconciling myself with my past Christian faith and Islam. I need help doing this and understanding Islam and it's why I'm here. I just need help.

I think of myself as a Mu'min thus the online name. I believe in Allah and that He is one and that the Muhammad (peace be with him) was his Prophet. Ameen.

After this I am lost.

Salaam

Assalamo Alaikum, brother!

This is indeed excelent news. However you must not feel torn up, and must do what a mu'min is supposed to do. I have had friends who came from a Christian background like you, and the family remainedd Christian, but they were better Muslim than I was.

Wassalam

Assalamo Alaikum, brother!

This is indeed excelent news. However you must not feel torn up, and must do what a mu'min is supposed to do. I have had friends who came from a Christian background like you, and the family remainedd Christian, but they were better Muslim than I was.

Asalamu'alaikum Aburafay,

This is good to hear as my wife is Christian and although she is respectful of my choice to embrace Islam, she has voiced her commitment to continue as a Christian. I don't know exactly how I should take this but I love my wife and I want to respect her wishes. Maybe some of you can help me with this? I know Little-Mahdi is married to a Christian wife as well. Maybe I should talk to him over lunch some time. :D

Walaikum'salam

AssallamuAllaikum,

Mu'min,

I have just read your posts. I think that you should walk with Islam and content yourself with a journey that will insh'Allah (god willing) CONTINUE to bring you the feeling of "...pulling the blinds on a bright spring morning." I became a Muslim seven years ago after a "Christian" upbringing.

Islam is very uncomplicated, although sometimes it does not seem that way, learning your prayers the actions language times and so on can seem really difficult. You may even feel that you will never get it "right", greeting other Muslims in the prescribed way and so on.

These and all things that you will learn about Islam in the future months or years are things that God (swt) knows are new to you and that you have to "reconcile", with what is possibly a lifetime of Christian teaching.

The reconciliation that you mention may not be as great a task as you seem to fear. Do not concentrate on the differences between Islam and Christianity, because the similarities may well surprise you, if they have not already.

I think a valuable thing to remember always is that Allah (swt) knows best, He (swt) has led you and allowed you to learn about serving God (swt) from a different standpoint. You are now deciding your future with the benefit of a clear knowledge of "the right way" for you. Study with someone you trust, that will also help you to understand the depth and wealth of an Islamic way of life.

Please rely on Allah (swt) He (swt) dessert you.

Wassallam.

AssallamuAllaikum,

Mu'min,

I have just read your posts. I think that you should walk with Islam and content yourself with a journey that will insh'Allah (god willing) CONTINUE to bring you the feeling of "...pulling the blinds on a bright spring morning." I became a Muslim seven years ago after a "Christian" upbringing.

Islam is very uncomplicated, although sometimes it does not seem that way, learning your prayers the actions language times and so on can seem really difficult. You may even feel that you will never get it "right", greeting other Muslims in the prescribed way and so on.

These and all things that you will learn about Islam in the future months or years  are things that God (swt) knows are new to you and that you have to "reconcile", with what is possibly a lifetime of Christian teaching.

The reconciliation that you mention may not be as great a task as you seem to fear. Do not concentrate on the differences between Islam and Christianity, because the similarities may well surprise you, if they have not already.

I think a valuable thing to remember always is that Allah (swt) knows best, He (swt) has led you and allowed you to learn about serving God (swt) from a different standpoint. You are now deciding your future with the benefit of a clear knowledge of "the right way" for you. Study with someone you trust, that will also help you to understand the depth and wealth of an Islamic way of life.

Please rely on Allah (swt) He (swt) dessert you.

Wassallam.

:D

MashaAllah brother,

Some great words there :D

JazaakAllah for that

Asalamu'alaikum Aburafay,

This is good to hear as my wife is Christian and although she is respectful of my choice to embrace Islam, she has voiced her commitment to continue as a Christian. I don't know exactly how I should take this but I love my wife and I want to respect her wishes. Maybe some of you can help me with this? I know Little-Mahdi is married to a Christian wife as well. Maybe I should talk to him over lunch some time.  :D

Walaikum'salam

:D mu'min,

When your house is filled with the love that I have seen between you and your wife, mu'min you have nothing to fear, my dear brother. Respect her wishes and you will find the striking differences will fade as you and your wife create a home where Allah is praised in humble submission and with love one to another. Call me for lunch, I'm in the company directory.

:D brother mu'min!

A Muslim man can marry a Jew or Christian wife, or remain married to her. But, there are two things that you must emphasise on. Firstly, she should not practice shirk in the house and openly. Secondly, the children must be raised as Muslims.

Wassalam

PS : That is unfair, limiting the lunch invitation to just little-mahdi, and he takes advantage of getting it converted to a home-lunch. :D