Islamic Forum
IbrahimMuhammed

What Colour Represents Islam?

Asalaam Alikum

Am I correct in my belief that the colour Green is best representative to Islam.

The green on the Pakistani national flag, the green cover to my Quran, the green of Hamas.

If so, is this mentioned in the Quran or Sunnah of the Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon Him)?

Brother Chrism :D

PropellerAds

:D

As logical as your deductions may sound but sorry to pop the bubble ... There is no specific colour that represents Islam. Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhiwassalam had black flags and wore black imama. However he prefered white clothes. there are also naration about green amamah.

Al in all, there is nothing particular about green.. its just that over the time it has become like an icon to Islam like crescent and star.. they may not be related to Islam except for first of every month but people think otherwise.

As logical as your deductions may sound but sorry to pop the bubble ... There is no specific colour that represents Islam. Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhiwassalam had black flags and wore black imama. However he prefered white clothes. there are also naration about green amamah.

Al in all, there is nothing particular about green.. its just that over the time it has become like an icon to Islam like crescent and star.. they may not be related to Islam except for first of every month but people think otherwise.

Asalaam Alikum

Interesting.

Thank you Brother for that. It seems that I was wrong all along.

hmmm...... brother chrism i have also heard about this..... i've heard that green was our beloved prophet s.a.w.w favourite colour that's why it is the colour of Islam..... colours such as white and green are symbollically colours of Islam......

please correct me if i'm wrong... i do not want to go round holding a view that might affect my choice of things esp if it is wrong... :D

Edited by restless_soul

i always thought it was only white..hmm..green too eh..thats cool

sister it is what i have heard do not fully believe it.... lets hope some more acknowledged brother or sister can correct or confirm it first.

salam

Muslims don't have any colors or signs. The only reason our Prophet (savs) had a flag was because we needed to distinguish ourself in battle. I believe he wore black or white flags (look at my icon) but other tribes had other colors, such as green.

The star and crescent used to be the symbols of Constantinople. When the Turks captured it, they used it as their flag. I think they used the green background (white crescent) for diplomatic purposes, and red background (white crescent) for war. Since they ruled much of the world, the star and crescent became associated with Islam, and almost all the Muslim countries use either green color, or the star and crescent on their flags today.

That said, I think the flag and symbol of Islam should be the true Muslims who follow the sunna and the Qur'an.

jazakallah for your reply brother... :D .. but can you please provide some sort of reliable evidence; as whatever flag site i have visited, it has constantly stated that the symbolically green and white are Islamic colours....... :D

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.exxun(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Pakistan/a_fg.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.exxun(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Pakistan/a_fg.html[/url]

can you please throw some light on this issue...

Asalamu Alaikum

lolz

A lot of the kids say they want a green car because it's Islams colour. I tease them by saying why not a black one? Well, it's because black is the devils colour they say. Yeah, so why is the ka'baa covered in black? :D

If Islam was to have a colour to represent itself, it'll be white! It symbols so much things, one of them being purity!

Green however, is the colour which is the most soft on the eyes. It brings a sense of calm, and relief. I can't remember exactly what, but the eye doesn't strain as much when seeing green. Something about colour basics I forgot now.

I always thought it was Green colour aka Saudi flag, Pakistan flag..

As Salamu Alaykum

Well I was looking at some turbans online like few weeks ago online. There were different colored turbans. If I can remember correctly, one of them was called Sunnah Green, which I dont know why after looking at this topic lol.

Just to clear this up (I am not the one who is saying it is sunnah, so forgive me)

As Salamu Alaykum

Edited by shahaadil

Asalamu Alaikum

Sunnah green? Could be because of the dome on the prophets Masjid. Did he choose for it to be green though? Or else I can't see why it can be Sunnah.

As Salamu Alaykum, well I went to muttaqun(contact admin if its a beneficial link) and looked at male hijab, and it had info on colors of clothing, so you can check that out.

As Salamu Alaykum

mayb people think 'green' is an Islamic colour, because like someone mentioned the masjid having a green dome...and but isnt it stated in the Qur'an that InshAllah we will wear green garments, green silk.

76:21

"Upon them will be green Garments of fine silk and heavy brocade, and they will be adorned with Bracelets of silver; and their Lord will give to them to drink of a Wine Pure and Holy"

jazakallah for your reply brother... :D .. but can you please provide some sort of reliable evidence; as whatever flag site i have visited, it has constantly stated that the symbolically green and white are Islamic colours....... :D

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.exxun(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Pakistan/a_fg.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.exxun(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Pakistan/a_fg.html[/url]

can you please throw some light on this issue...

Sister,

after your request, I searched the net for about an hour (I think!) about this subject. It is very hard to find, since most of the net is littered with non-Islamic authors who think that we think green is THE Muslim color and suicide bombers will get 70 virgins when they die. It is hard to distinguish the truth in the pile of garbage out there, but I managed to get some info

CASE FOR THE BLACK

Here is a quote I found on this site:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.afghanmagazine(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/july99/articles/flag/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.afghanmagazine(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/july99/articles/flag/[/url]

"The black color in our flag is derived from the Prophet Mohammed's (PBUH) time. Black was the color of Prophet Mohammed's (PBUH) banner. The flag was heroically carried and hoisted into the battles, from the 822 AD to 1022 AD (2nd to 4th century Hijri)."

I also found a site (run by a non-Muslim I would guess) that said:

"Islam has not symbolized itself with any particular object or symbol, but due to political reasons a flag was required to give a standard for Muslims, especially during the wars. The Prophet used flags of different colors in different Ghazwat (campaigns commanded by the Prophet) and Saraya (campaign commanded by any Sahabi). The major flag of the Prophet was known as "Al- Uqaab", it was pure black with and without symbol or marking. Its name and color was derived from Quraish's national flag.

Other minor flags were known as Al-Raya, the most important flag between them was white, others were red, yellow, and perhaps green and zebra-striped. "

source: "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.fotw(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/flags/Islam.html#isl-era"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.fotw(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/flags/Islam.html#isl-era[/url]

and another: "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.fotw(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/flags/isl-khil.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.fotw(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/flags/isl-khil.html[/url]

con't

source from "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Resources/PrintMedia/Books/B0033P0044.aspx"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Resources/PrintMe...B0033P0044.aspx[/url]

"The task of the platoon of ‘Ali bin Abi Talib was to demolish Al-Qullus, which was an idol that belonged to Tai’ tribe. That was in Rabi‘ Al-Awwal in the year 9 A.H. ‘Ali was dispatched by the Messenger of Allâh (Allah bless him and give him peace) with one hundred fifty men. A hundred of them were on camels. The other fifty were on horseback. He held a black flag and a white banner."

another source: "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muslimworld.co.uk/prophetmohammed.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muslimworld.co.uk/prophetmohammed.htm[/url]

"Muhammad's army consisted of 313 men, two horses, and seventy camels. Two or three men would take turns riding these camels, and no preference in this matter would be given to an officer or a soldier. The flag was given to Musab ibn Omair, and the banners of the Muhajereen and the Ansar were given to Ali ibn abi Talib and Saad ibn Muath respectively. The flag was white and the two banners were black. The army of Quraish consisted of between nine hundred and one thousand men."

con't

CASE FOR THE GREEN

Muhammed's (savs) favorite color was green. He liked to wear green cloak and turban.

source for green: "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muslimworld.co.uk/prophetmohammed.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muslimworld.co.uk/prophetmohammed.htm[/url]

"It is recorded that Muhammad (pbuh) entered Makkah on the Friday the 20th of Ramadan (ninth lunar month) in the eighth year after the emigration. Muhammad (pbuh) directed Al-Abbas to sit Abu-Sufyan somewhere in the city where he shall see the passing of the Muslim army. As the tribes of the Muslims would pass by holding their flags, Abu-Sufyan would ask Al-Abbas "Who is this group?," and Al-Abbas would tell him, until finally Muhammad (pbuh) passed by in the "green" brigade clad in their chain-mail coats and their armor, extending as far as the eye could see. Abu-Sufyan exclaimed "My Lord! who are these?" Al-Abbas replied: "This is the messenger of Allah with the Muhajereen and the Ansar." Abu-Sufyan said: "No force shall ever resist such as these! By Allah O Abbas, the dominion of your nephew (Muhammad) has become immense indeed on this day!" Al-Abbas replied: "It is the prophethood" Abu-Sufyan replied: "How admirable it is!"'

STAR AND CRESCENT

here is an article about it, though I have not had time to read it and make my conclusions:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.themodernreligion(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/misc/hh/crescent.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.themodernreligion(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/misc/hh/crescent.html[/url]

MY CONCLUSION

I would say, looking at the sources, that they used black and white flags mostly, but there were other colors, each tribe having their own flag. Since nothing is mentioned in Qur'an or Hadith (as far as I know) I would guess that the color really doesn't matter. If you concentrate too much on color and symbols, you might endup worshipping them, instead of Allah (swt). The traditional colors are black, white, green, and red, but there is no evidence that there is one single Muslim color. I also grew up thinking that the green is Muslim color, but now I see that there is no such thing, although I prefer those 4 colors to any other.

Stil, this is only my humble opinion, I think other more knowledgeable brothers and sisters should get involved.

wa-salam

jazakallah brother for the wonderful and very informative posts, you have cleared up many misconceptions..... :D

jazakallah brother for the wonderful and very informative posts, you have cleared up many misconceptions..... :D

Asalaam Alikum

Brother dzenan, may I second the comments by Sister restless_soul.

Thank you so much for those posts and taking time to answer my question.

salam

you're both welcome. It was an interesting topic to research :D

wa-salam