The truth about the Taliban is much different than what we normally hear

on televised Western propaganda.

Jazaakallah great lecture.

The truth about the Taliban is much different than what we normally hear

on televised Western propaganda.

Yeah. Right.

Al Qaeda and Taliban Atrocities

by CIC/Islamabad

The Coalition Information Center (CIC) in Islamabad, Pakistan November 22 issued the following catalogue of atrocities committed by Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

Following is the text:

THE AL QAEDA & TALIBAN CATALOGUE OF ATROCITIES

Atrocity

"Among the accounts of mutilations, beatings and arbitrary executions there was evidence of a new abomination: the torture of children. An unknown number of infants were savagely beaten during the Islamic militia's 14-month occupation of Taloqan, the former headquarters of the Alliance, usually for the supposed crimes of their parents." (Source: The Times [u.K.], 11/13/01)

Atrocity

"The barbarity of the Taliban plumbed new depths when troops shot dead eight boys for daring to laugh, sickened refugees revealed yesterday. The teenage lads had been chuckling at the soldiers who suddenly raised their Kalashnikov rifles and gunned them down. It was one of a string of atrocities in the besieged Afghanistan city of Kunduz, which was last night poised to fall to the Northern Alliance. At least 300 frightened Taliban were killed by men from their own side because they wanted to surrender." (Source: The Sun [u.K.], 11/19/01)

Atrocity

"The Taliban is jailing children as young as 10 in Kabul to root out dissent, it is claimed today. According to French journalist Michel Peyrard, who was held by the Taliban for 25 days, the biggest threat to the extremist regime is its own paranoia. He said his fellow detainees included several children. On one occasion the nephews of an escaped political prisoner - aged 10, 13 and 19 - were rounded up. The eldest was tortured and subjected to a mock execution. The Taliban also jails leaders and military commanders for being traitors on only the flimsiest evidence." (Source: The Evening Standard (London), 11/9/01) ATROCITY

"One day they came, and ordered everyone to go into the bazaar and protest against the bombings, and chant: 'Death to America'," said Salahuddin. "I was in my house and I had to go outside. When we refused to protest against America, they got angry." Another man who fled the village said he saw the Taliban drag a man called Lash Boi from his house to the Masjid and beat him to death when he refused to protest. Lash Boi's three sons are on the front line now, fighting to avenge their father's death, he said." (Source: The Independent (U.K.), 11/9/01)

Atrocity

"When the family returned six hours later they found that Abdul's right femur had been shattered by repeated blows from a Kalashnikov, the stock of the rifle leaving a clear imprint on the floor of the family's home. Doctors gave Nurala a couple of packets of paracetamol and bluntly told him that his son would never walk again. 'He was in so much pain for a long time, and it changed his mind as well,' Nurala said. 'I don't understand how anyone can do such a thing to a small child. I have spoken to many people about this and nobody understands it.' There are many others in Taloqan who have similar stories of children being beaten in front of their parents because their fathers were unable to hand over a weapon to the Taleban, of men who had a hand amputated when they were accused of stealing the bread that they carried home to their families, and of women who were raped after their husbands were taken away and imprisoned in Kandahar or Mazar-i Sharif." (Source: The Times [u.K.], 11/13/01)

Atrocity

"'They burnt some of us alive.' It was almost the first thing he said to us. In the dust and squalor of a refugee camp, Salahuddin told yesterday how the Taliban burnt an entire family to death in their own home in revenge for the American bombing. He says he saw them bringing out the blackened bodies of the children. Then the Taliban took Salahuddin and the other villagers to the front line, where they ordered them to gather up scattered bits of bodies, all that was left of Taliban soldiers killed by the American bombs." (Source: The Independent U.K. 11/9/01)

Atrocity

"'The Taliban commanders killed 100 of our friends,' said this defector, adding, 'They hung their bodies from lamp posts as a warning to the rest of us.'" (Source: CBS Evening News, 11/19/01)

Atrocity

"One said a doctor was shot dead for not treating a wounded Taliban soldier quickly enough, while others said a group of eight teenage boys were killed for laughing at Taliban soldiers." (Source: The Herald (Scotland), 11/19/01)

Atrocity

"Foreign Taliban soldiers, who have gathered in Kunduz for what appears to be a last stand, have gunned down more than 400 Afghan Taliban soldiers trying to defect to the Northern Alliance, the refugees and the alliance soldiers said. The 400 were killed in mass shootings late last week, refugees said, and were prompted in part by the defection of a local Taliban commander to the Northern Alliance. According to the reports, Arab and Pakistani soldiers with the Taliban have also begun shooting young civilian men of the Uzbek and Tajik ethnic groups suspected of trying to escape to territory controlled by the Northern Alliance. 'The foreigners came into the village and shot all the men,' said Muhammadullah, a 21-year-old man who crossed into Northern Alliance territory today. 'I saw this with my own eyes.'" (Source: The New York Times, 11/19/01)

Atrocity

"Foreign Taliban soldiers also killed dozens of Afghan Taliban soldiers on Friday at the village of Musazai near the Kunduz airport, refugees and Northern Alliance soldiers said. Refugees fleeing Kunduz said foreign Taliban soldiers had gunned down 125 Afghan Taliban soldiers who had been stopped on their way to the front lines. The foreign Taliban soldiers seem to have decided that the local Taliban were trying to defect. When they tried to stop them, a fight began and the foreign Taliban opened fire, the refugees said." (Source: The New York Times, 11/19/01)

Atrocity

"The BBC has confirmed that the central Afghan town of Bamiyan was totally destroyed by the Taleban before they fled over the weekend. Evidence has also emerged of Bosnian-style ethnic cleansing in the region involving the execution of hundreds of local ethnic Hazara men." (Source: BBC News, 11/13/01)

Atrocity

"Our correspondent said every building, shop and house had been destroyed before the town fell on Sunday after a two-hour gun battle." (Source: BBC News, 11/13/01)

Atrocity

September 1996 -- Upon capturing Kabul the Taliban castrated President Najibullah, dragged his body behind a jeep for several rounds of the Palace and then shot him dead. His brother was similarly tortured and then throttled to death. (Source: Department of Defense)

Atrocity

January 1998 -- In the Western province of Faryab, the Taliban massacred approximately 600 Uzbek villageres. Western aid workers who later investigated the incident said civilians were dragged from their homes, lined up and gunned down. (Source: Department of Defense)

Atrocity

August 1998 -- The Taliban entered Mazar-I-Sharif and went on a frenzy killing shop owners, cart pullers, women and children shoppers. (Source: Department of Defense)

Atrocity

August 2000 -- Taliban execute POWs in the streets of Heart as a lesson to the local population. (Source: Department of Defense)

Atrocity

June 2001 -- Taliban bombed the administrative center of Yakaolang, including the district hospital and an aid agency office. (Source: Department of Defense)

Atrocity

Massacre at Yakaolang -- Taliban forces committed a massacre in Yakaolang in January 2001. The victims were primarily Hazaras. The massacre began on January 8, 2001, and continued for four days. The Taliban detained about 300 civilian adult males, including staff members of local humanitarian organizations. The men were herded to assembly points, and then shot by firing squad in public view. According to Human Rights Watch, about 170 men are confirmed to have been killed. According to Amnesty International, eyewitnesses reported the deliberate killing of dozens of civilians hiding in a Masjid: Taliban soldiers fired rockets into a Masjid where some 73 women, children and elderly men had taken shelter. (Source: State Department)

Atrocity

Massacre at Robatak Pass -- The May 2000 massacre took place near the Robatak pass. 31 bodies were found one site, of these, 26 were positively identified as civilians. The victims were Hazara Shi'as. (Source: State Department)

Atrocity

Massacre in Bamiyan -- When the Taliban recaptured Bamiyan in 1999, there were reports that Taliban forces carried out summary executions upon entering the city. According to Amnesty International, hundreds of men, and some instances women and children, were separated from their families, taken away, and killed. Human Rights Watch reports that besides executing civilians, the Taliban burned homes and used detainees for forced labor. (Source: State Department)

Atrocity

Massacre in the Shomaili Plains -- July 1999 Human Rights Watch reports that a Taliban offensive here was marked by summary executions, the abduction and disappearance of women, the burning of homes, destruction of property, and the cutting down of fruit trees. According to a report by the U.N. Secretary General on November 16, 1999, "The Taliban forces, who allegedly carried out these acts, essentially treated the civilian population with hostility and made no distinction between combatants and non-combatants." (Source: U.S. State Department)

Atrocity

Massacre in Mazar-I-Sharif -- In August 1998, the Taliban captured Mazar-I-Sharif. There were reports that between 2,000 and 5,000 men, women and children -- mostly ethnic Hazara civilians -- were massacred by the Taliban after the takeover of Mazar-I-Sharif. During the massacre, the Taliban forces carried out a systematic search for male members for the ethnic Hazara, Tajik, and Uzbek communities in the city. Human Rights Watch estimates that scores, perhaps hundreds, of Hazara men and boys were summarily executed. There were also reports that women and girls were raped and abducted during the Taliban takeover of the city. (Source: State Department)

:sl:

JazakAllahu Khairun for sharing this video. Masha'Allah, may Allah (SWT) guide our brothers in Islam. I hope the truth of their situation is made clear in times to come - and Insha'Allah, I sincerely pray, let this truth be in praise of them.

Fee AmaanAllah

Assalam Alaikum

Jazaak Allah khair for sharing this with us brother :sl:

May Allah swt unite Muslims around the world.. ameen

Asalaamualakium

Jazzakallah for the video bro. It was an amzaing watch.

2 years! Mashallah the afghani people are very strong,may Allah swt guide them and aid them.

brother, who is the speaker, i have seen him from somewhere?

Walikumasalaam

What is wrong with you?! You guys are praising the Taliban?! Did you ever stop and wonder where Al-Qaeda and the Taliban get their money from? DRUGS! Are you people forgetting what the Taliban did to women and minorities in their rule with total disregard to what Islam teaches? Are you forgetting the rapes and atrocities they caused? Are you forgetting the bad name they gave Islam? And BTW, Afghanistan STILL has a major drug problem, so I don't see what the Taliban accomplished. And they weren't even helping our brothers in Palestine, Chechneya, Kosovo, India, Algeria - quite the contrary, they were too busy fighting their fellow Muslims. Taliban are evil and good riddance with them.

What is wrong with you?! ...

These guys are sweater-bomb wearing Islamofacists. That's what's wrong.

{Moderator note}

This post has violated forum rule #22. Action taken.

For more details, please read our (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?act=boardrules"]Forum Rules[/url].

Asalaamualaikum

Assalamualikum

the speaker is Shayk Khalid Yasin

oh yea, i thought so... i have his "Purpose of life" series at home...Mashallah he's a very good speaker

basedas2....where are you getting your information from...didnt you watch the video?

Walikumasalaam

basedas2....where are you getting your information from...

Dude... everyone knows how bad the Taliban were and a video is not going to erase the atrocities they caused. If you support the Taliban, there's no way you're a Muslim. They raped children, killed minorities and women, were intolerant of others and were too superficial and hypocritical. Let's not forget that they also banned women from education. That's not the Islam I know. Taliban are anti-Muslim and therfore I cannot support them.

Dude... everyone knows how bad the Taliban were and a video is not going to erase the atrocities they caused. If you support the Taliban, there's no way you're a Muslim

WAS THAT A TAKFEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They should ban you from this forum!!! I CANT BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT!!!

You do know that calling a muslims a kafir make you one! Repent and beg for forgivness from your lord!

I am sorry but the people who follow the Quran and the Sunnah are not just the talabans and al-quada but also in bosnia, samolia, chechnya, and other muslims groups.

They raped children, killed minorities and women, were intolerant of others and were too superficial and hypocritical. Let's not forget that they also banned women from education. That's not the Islam I know. Taliban are anti-Muslim and therfore I cannot support them.

Their is a place for woman to get educated but this is banned becuase of the constint war. ( check the history of Afhanistan to know what i mean). When has the Mujahideen ever raped a woman. There is not even one report that even states this as they are moral and they Fear Allah! Unlike you!!!

WAS THAT A TAKFEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They should ban you from this forum!!! I CANT BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT!!!

You do know that calling a muslims a kafir make you one! Repent and beg for forgivness from your lord!

Are you kidding me?!! You do that all the time!! Accusing people of being Kaafirs, Islamerican etc.

:no: for sharing the video brother...the sheikh is a very powerful and motivational speaker...

What is wrong with you?! You guys are praising the Taliban?! Did you ever stop and wonder where Al-Qaeda and the Taliban get their money from? DRUGS!

Taliban was funded by Pakistan's ISI, and also supported by the madrassahs in Afghanistan and some parts of Pakistan.

Drug production actually went down during the Taliban era in Afghanistan. It only went up when the US came in.

Yet in a bitter irony, US military presence has served to restore rather than eradicate the drug trade. Opium production has increased 33 fold from 185 tons in 2001 under the Taliban to 6100 tons in 2006. Cultivated areas have increased 21 fold since the 2001 US-led invasion.

What the media reports fail to acknowledge is that the Taliban government was instrumental in 2000-2001 in implementing a successful drug eradication program, with the support and collaboration of the UN.

Implemented in 2000-2001, the Taliban's drug eradication program led to a 94 percent decline in opium cultivation. In 2001, according to UN figures, opium production had fallen to 185 tons. Immediately following the October 2001 US led invasion, production increased dramatically, regaining its historical levels.

The Vienna based UN Office on Drugs and Crime estimates that the 2006 harvest will be of the order of 6,100 tonnes, 33 times its production levels in 2001 under the Taliban government (3200 % increase in 5 years).

Cultivation in 2006 reached a record 165,000 hectares compared with 104,000 in 2005 and 7,606 in 2001 under the Taliban.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetglobalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=CHO20060921&articleId=3294"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetglobalresearch.ca/index.php?con...;articleId=3294[/url]

Who supports and benefits from the drug trade?

However, what distinguishes narcotics from legal commodity trade is that narcotics constitutes a major source of wealth formation not only for organized crime but also for the US intelligence apparatus, which increasingly constitutes a powerful actor in the spheres of finance and banking. This relationship has been documented by several studies including the writings of Alfred McCoy. (Drug Fallout: the CIA's Forty Year Complicity in the Narcotics Trade. The Progressive, 1 August 1997).

In other words, intelligence agencies, powerful business, drug traders and organized crime are competing for the strategic control over the heroin routes. A large share of this multi-billion dollar revenues of narcotics are deposited in the Western banking system. Most of the large international banks together with their affiliates in the offshore banking havens launder large amounts of narco-dollars.

This trade can only prosper if the main actors involved in narcotics have "political friends in high places." Legal and illegal undertakings are increasingly intertwined, the dividing line between "businesspeople" and criminals is blurred. In turn, the relationship among criminals, politicians and members of the intelligence establishment has tainted the structures of the state and the role of its institutions including the Military.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetglobalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=CHO20060921&articleId=3294"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetglobalresearch.ca/index.php?con...;articleId=3294[/url]

I do not know of the other atrocities that you mentioned brother basedas2, but at least for the problem of drug production, the Taliban did more good than evil.

...with total disregard to what Islam teaches?

Assalamualikum

and what does Islam teach ...please share with us

People people... why is everybody so worked up about what I said???????? Everybody seems to have misunderstood my comments so I will try to clarify them.

believer6 said "WAS THAT A TAKFEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

No it wasn't a takfir, only God can decide whether or not someone is a kafir. All I meant was that if you support the Taliban, then you are supporting the atrocities they caused, which were all un-Islamic.

freedslave said "I do not know of the other atrocities that you mentioned brother basedas2, but at least for the problem of drug production, the Taliban did more good than evil."

I am talking about when they used to kill minorities and women, when they used to marry off little girls against their will and when they banned many people from education for no good reason.

Abu Hafsa said "and what does Islam teach ...please share with us"

The Taliban used to:

marry off girls against their will

but Islam doesn't say that. you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetjannah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/sisters/marr.html

ban many people from education

but this is what Islam says on education you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgeocities(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/athens/parthenon/.../education.html

kill minorities

but the TRUE practicers of Islam, such as in Muslim Spain, didn't walk around killing minorities for no good reason.

be EXTREMELY hostile with women

but in the Prophet's time, when he liberated women, women had very much higher positions in society than the Taliban gave them.

Ahsan said that the Taliban raping children was a lie.

Well perhaps they didn't rape them in the traditional sense. But what they DID do was that they married off pre-teen female "criminals" against their will to horrible men. Then they forcefully had sex with them time and time again which is considered rape.

Even though I don't support the Taliban, they achieved a lot - to be honest. They more or less stopped gambling which was widespread back then and prostitution also decreased to some extent. Robberies in the market place, which were common, also decreased. However they gave Islam a bad name due to some of their inhumane actions and they were also not qualified enough to lead a government. They knew nothing about economics or politics and gave Afghanistan a lot of powerful enemies. Hamad Karzai might be doing less to stop the drug trade and crime than the Taliban, but he is by far more qualified than the Taliban were.

Taliban promises more Kabul attacks

By JASON STRAZIUSO

Tues., Jan. 15, 2008

KABUL, Afghanistan - A Taliban spokesman warned Tuesday that militants would increase attacks against restaurants in Kabul frequented by Westerners, a day after eight people died in a brazen assault on a luxury hotel in the Afghan capital.

Afghan officials said they had arrested four men following Monday's assault on the Serena Hotel a heavily guarded and high-profile property frequented by Western workers and officials. Among those detained was one of the attackers disguised in a police uniform.

"We will target all these restaurants in Kabul where foreigners are eating," Zabiullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, told The Associated Press by phone. "We have jihadists in Kabul right now and soon we will carry out more attacks against military personnel and foreigners."

Taliban spokesmen commonly boast of plans to increase their attacks, threats that often are not realized. But in the past two years, militants have stepped up suicide attacks, and the multi-pronged bombing and shooting against the Serena was the first of its kind against a facility popular with Westerners.

Afghan officials accused a militant connected to an insurgent leader in Pakistan of masterminding the attack. At least one American, a Norwegian reporter and a Filipina hotel worker were among the dead.

Police said they also found a video made by two of the attackers in a home in Kabul, where they arrested two men. A fourth man _ believed to have driven the attackers to the hotel _ was arrested in eastern Afghanistan while trying to flee to Pakistan.

The hotel attack was a grim start to 2008 after a record year of violence in 2007, indicating militants may be refining their strategy to undermine the government of President Hamid Karzai and the Western-backed campaign to stabilize Afghanistan.

Amrullah Saleh, the head of Afghanistan's intelligence service, said three militants stormed the hotel. A guard shot and killed one attacker at the gate to the hotel's parking lot, which triggered his suicide vest.

A second attacker blew himself up near the entrance to the hotel's lobby, and the third attacker made it inside the hotel and shot his way through the lobby and toward the gym, Saleh said. A man suspected of being the third attacker was arrested after the assault Monday. He had been wearing a police uniform during the attack.

The three militants stormed the popular luxury hotel just after 6 p.m. More than 30 U.S. soldiers in a half-dozen Humvees rushed to the hotel, and security personnel from the nearby U.S. Embassy ran to the scene.

Blood covered the lobby floor as gunfire rang out, witnesses said.

Saleh said the attack was masterminded by Mullah Abdullah, a close ally of Siraj Haqqani, a well-known militant leader thought to be based in Miran Shah, the main town in Pakistan's lawless tribal region of North Waziristan. The U.S. military has a $200,000 bounty out on Haqqani.

Police arrested a man named Humayun, allegedly a key link to Abdullah, in eastern Afghanistan on Tuesday as he was trying to flee to Pakistan, Saleh said, accusing him of supplying the assailants with weapons, explosives and suicide vests and driving them to the hotel.

Saleh showed a picture taken from the hotel's security cameras showing a gunman in a police uniform inside the hotel's lobby, apparently the third attacker. He was apprehended 15 to 20 minutes after the attack began, he said.

"The third person, after killing a number of the guests, maybe he changed his mind for some reason, he didn't detonate himself," Saleh said. "He changed his clothes and later when security forces searched the premises, he was arrested."

Authorities raided a house in Kabul early Tuesday where the alleged attackers had spent the night before the attack. Police found a video showing two of the assailants, identified as Farouq and Salahuddin, saying they were ready to die. The owner of the house and his brother were arrested.

"I commit this suicide attack for Allah," the video showed the attacker named Farouq saying. He was believed to have blown himself up during the attack.

There was confusion over the death toll. Saleh said three Americans and a French woman were among those killed, but the U.S. Embassy said only one American citizen died. The French embassy was not aware of any French casualties.

The Serena spokesman said three hotel employees and two guards were killed during the attack. Officials have said an American citizen and a Norwegian reporter also died, and the Philippines Foreign Affairs Department said a Filipina spa supervisor wounded in the attack died on Tuesday, bringing the death toll to eight.

The Taliban has targeted aid workers and civilian contractors with kidnappings and killings, but this was the most daring and sophisticated attack yet on a prominent symbol of the foreign presence.

The Taliban have typically focused attacks on Western and Afghan officials or security personnel, not Western civilians.

Norwegian Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere, who was in the hotel during the attack but was not injured, met Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday, but canceled the rest of his trip, which had been scheduled to last through Thursday.

Immediately after Monday's attack. U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Stoere had been the target. But officials and experts in Norway said they had no information to that effect.

"I don't have any indication that this attack was specifically targeted at Norway, but we must assume that it was aimed at the international presence in Afghanistan," Stoere said.

___

Associated Press reporters Amir Shah and Fisnik Abrashi and Doug Mellgren in Oslo, Norway contributed to this report.

There goes your 'freedom fighters'. But I guess '######' or 'yasnov' will say it's all the work of the 'Zionist'. HAHAHAHAHAHA !!

Assalamualikum

...you have no proof that they did those things to women....so why should we believe you. And dont even bother showing evidence from kuffar sources ...no one will believe you.

There goes your 'freedom fighters'.

Whats wrong with that...i dont get it...whats ur point

Hamad Karzai might be doing less to stop the drug trade and crime than the Taliban, but he is by far more qualified than the Taliban were.

Did his qualification help improve the affairs of Afghan people?

Tell us about his achievements with regard to education, social reforms, health and medical, rehibilitation of infrastructure, security situation and elimination of corruption.

Assalamualikum

...you have no proof that they did those things to women....so why should we believe you. And dont even bother showing evidence from kuffar sources ...no one will believe you.

Firstly, it's not up to us to decide whether or not someone is kaffir. Only God can decide that.

Secondly, if you don't believe me, I suggest you go to Afghanistan and ask the people themselves: why would the people lie?! I have asked Afghans that have escaped to Iran, Turkey, Norway etc and they all agree that the Taliban were what I say they were - and they have first hand experience unlike us.

Firstly, it's not up to us to decide whether or not someone is kaffir. Only God can decide that.

you have to be kidding me man... george bush is kafir....dont you agree

Secondly, if you don't believe me, I suggest you go to Afghanistan and ask the people themselves: why would the people lie?! I have asked Afghans that have escaped to Iran, Turkey, Norway etc and they all agree that the Taliban were what I say they were - and they have first hand experience unlike us.

I suggest that YOU should go to afghanistan and ask the people if they like the taliban or not

Assalamualikum

Did his qualification help improve the affairs of Afghan people?

Tell us about his achievements with regard to education, social reforms, health and medical, rehibilitation of infrastructure, security situation and elimination of corruption.

"In 1996 the Taliban regime banned education for females, and the madrassa (mosque school) became the main source of primary and secondary education. After the overthrow of the Taliban in 2001, the interim government received substantial international aid to restore the education system. In 2003 some 7,000 schools were operating in 20 of the 34 provinces, with 27,000 teachers teaching 4.2 million children (including 1.2 million girls). Of that number, about 3.9 million were in primary schools. When Kabul University reopened in 2002, some 24,000 students, male and female, enrolled. Five other universities were being rehabilitated in the early 2000s. Since the end of the dogmatic Taliban era in 2001, public school curricula have included religious subjects, but detailed instruction is left to religious teachers. In 2003 an estimated 57 percent of men and 86 percent of women were illiterate, and the lack of skilled and educated workers was a major economic disadvantage."

"Afghanistan’s Taliban regime aggravated already dismal socioeconomic conditions, placing severe restrictions on the mobility, education, and employment of women, in particular. Its fall at the end of 2001, however, marked the beginning of the nation’s recovery. In late 2002, schools for girls re-opened, and overall enrollment is now at a record high of four million students. Education, employment, and health care opportunities for women have increased dramatically. In 2006, Afghanistan held its first direct presidential elections in history, and now faces the momentous task of rebuilding its economy and rehabilitating its infrastructure."

After the Taliban:

"421 km of farm to market roads and 116 km of district roads.

704 km of national and provincial roads.

389 km of Kabul-Kandahar Highway and 246 km of Kandahar-Herat Highway, both part of the "Ring Road" which links the main cities of Kabul, Kandahar, and Herat.

In total 1,195 km of secondary as well as national and provincial roads and 635 km of regional highway for a sum of 1,830 km of roads nationwide."

"Built 147 market centers.

Built 11 cold storage facilities.

Constructed 605 km of canals and 340 irrigation structures. Installed 18 km of water pipelines.

Completed 1,260 wells and 3,250 latrines."

"Constructed three industrial parks in Bagrami (96% complete), Kandahar (44% complete), and Mazar-e Sharif (18% complete). Financing the construction of these industrial parks help stimulate investment and minimize potential business risk to investors.

Completed and equipped 6 border posts to enable secure trade."

"Constructed 17 women’s provincial centers.

Developed 27 judicial facilities across 18 provinces with 8 more under construction.

Established 31 radio stations.

Provided 8 provincial government administration buildings and/or rehabilitated administrative structures in 5 provinces."

"Rehabilitated Kabul Women’s Dormitory, providing housing for 1,100 women.

Constructed 477 schools and 454 clinics."