Islamic Forum
Panthera Tigris

Looking Good?

Do you feel pressure to look good?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel pressure to look good?

• Yes - Female
    • No - Female
    • Yes - Male
    • No - Male

Assalamu alaikum

This doesn't mean you get dressed up and go out in public, show off skin. Even for a guy I do cover myself, and some would say aren't you hot? etc. Yet I feel I should work out more, tone the body, clear skin, body hair etc.

Do you worry about your body? Body hair? Muscles? Skin clarity and complexion?

PropellerAds
Guest UnderCover_Brother

Assalamu'Alikum,

Alhumdullilah when you have genes like mines...then there really is no pressure...it comes naturally! Lolzzz....

Wa'Salam.

:D

I don't feel any pressure as such.. but of course I would like to improve the little things... Although it would require a lot of work. LOLZ

Your muslim sis

Assalamu alaikum

This doesn't mean you get dressed up and go out in public, show off skin.  Even for a guy I do  cover myself, and some would say aren't you hot? etc.  Yet I feel I should work out more, tone the body, clear skin, body hair etc.

Asalaam Alikum

Some of you may of seen a recent posting of mine in the Counselling Room that hints at this topic.

I have a slim frame and wish to put on both weight and muscle.

This is mostly due to how I feel I am presenting myself to others. So, yes, I do feel feel I need to look good? Not just for others, but for my own confidence.

Brother Chrism :D

Nah i dont really care how i present myself to other people, but thats because i was a previous rock and heavy metal fan so yeah, but i dont know, the feeling of pampering yourself to look good just feels vain to me.

not underpressure, but just want to get lean to impress my self not others lool

As Salaam Alaikum,

Do I feel pressured to look good? No.

Do I feel that I should look good? Yes.

I believe appearance is very important and therefore people should be proper in it. They should wear appropriate clothes and appropriate styles.

Currently I'm in a phase of just wanting to wear blouses. I don't like wear just t-hirts/shirts that much anymore (though i do wear some still). To me it shows a more mature side of me. lol lol.

salaam

It is important to have a tidy appearance in front of others. It is narrated in Authentic Hadith that Allah loves tidiness. If you were going for a job interview or about to visit someone "big" in your eyes, will you meet them with scruffy hair or without being clean? Of course not. The biggest and best of all is Allah. We must try to present ourselves well outside, inside our homes and especially in Prayer. Of course we can relax when in the house, but be presented accordingly, for example making sure one is smelling nice, acting accordingly to Islamic rules etc.

---------------------

Vist my new Islamic Site:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html[/url]

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

There's a hadith in which the Prophet, sall'Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam, said to the Sahabah "You are on your way to meet your brothers, put on a nice dress and fix your saddles so you appear distinct among people as a beauty mark [on a beautiful face]. Allah likes neither roughness nor rough manners." Apparently it's in Muslim, in the chapter of Imaan.

Wassalaam.

....not exactly pressure... but I do like to look good... :D

lol [at] undercover :D

:D bro Mu'maneen and borbus! :D

Asalamu Alaikum

I don't feel under pressure to look good no. However, I do try and present myself as clean and smart. But not to the extremes so much so that I umm... forget it.

Not under pressure, :D but of course one tries not to look like a slob especially when they are married!

assalamu alaikum

yes I feel a pressure as a muslim woman, we represent an image of Islam so we have to take care of that, looking good, showing that we are proud of our religion.. it's also a form of daawa

of course we should not forget that there are Islamic rules for the hijab we have to respect !

I'm not being arrogant or anything, but I would say the same thing as Bro Undercover. Some people are just born with it. :D

Nah i dont really care how i present myself to other people, but thats because i was a previous rock and heavy metal fan so yeah, but i dont know, the feeling of pampering yourself to look good just feels vain to me.

Right, so what was that honey/olive oil/salt combination thingy all about ?

On occasion. I used to feel that way almost all the time. Now it's mainly about job interviews. I am growing my beard and I'm sure, where I'm at, people aren't used to it and have misconceptions, etc.

I'm just trying to remember that any job or whatever comes from Allah and the decision is with him and not with the people I'm trying to look good for. Also, I think that helps me become more patient, inshallah...

AS

I play sports since I was very little so I'm used to be in shape and I just feel awful if i don't run or do some activity at lease twice a week.

but I comes natural, and I never feel under pressure to look good.

SALAAM!!

I personally try and look clean and healthy and believe it is quite important to look good when representing Islam. first reason is because the prophet advised us to be and second upon giving dawah it helps very much.

Muslims of today "especially the ones living in the west" if cannot be bothered to look clean and tidy we must try our utmost to keep fit and strong we have become vulnerable in most western lands and therefore cannot afford to be over weight and unfit we need to be healthy and strong so that if we are attacked we can easily defend ourselves.

And its more easier for us Muslims to keep fit and be healthy than a dunyah loving Kafir, we dont party every friday, dont drink ofcourse, dont eat pork, dont take drugs and dont smoke...so for my Muslim brothers and sisters you already have a head start their as you already avoid most of the harmful stuff.

I don't really care however, my scarf,abaya,niqaab etc have to be ironed because when I walk out the home, I am representing Islam. When people look at me, the identify me as a Muslim and I don't want to look like a screg for that reason. :D

Muslims should be clean people which is half their imaan and look good when they out as commanded by our beloved prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. :D

Oh yeah.. I don't feel any sort of 'pressure', but I do feel the need to look good. :D

Edited by Arwa

Alhamdulillah as a normal person i do keep myself neat and tidy but never felt any pressure to be so. However, after being in the military, i know what the term "immaculate" means very well. And i admit it is a big pressure at times to very over smart looking, spick-and-span at all times and occassions. Sometimes it makes me wonder if the military is all about dressing up and stuff..... :D

LOL [at] BAF....I think its more about self-discipline and getting into the routine of things....and perhaps how well you present yourself to the enemy during war? :D It does keep you in top shape though :D

I dont feel pressured to look good, but i try to look good for myself. :D I make the effort to wear nice clothes......i mean, i dont want to look like i just got out of bed... :D

Edited by Afghan_Hijabi

Do you feel pressure to look good?

these are two different questions i think.... and i didnt know which one to answer in the poll :D I dont worry but i do try to take care of my body, skin, clarity and complexion.... but i definitely dont feel pressure for doing so.... so i dont know what to vote.... lol

No pressure. Just comes under general cleanliness, and hygiene, and appearing presentable. So yeah, i do like to look nice.

"Cleanliness is from the faith" ... It's what the kids learn in kindergarten here and it's so true.

I think cleanliness is so much more important than physical appearance. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc etc...

But my friends always complain that I'm too clean :D and I make them look bad. Can't help it though, I always remember my mom yelling at us if thee was a dirty dish in the sink :D

I don't worry much about looks, I keep myself and my home spotless and I have a nice heart (Inshallah) and I truly believe that beauty comes from the heart.

I don't feel pressured, but I do want to present myself in a nice way. :D

yep......especialy at parties and that......even if its not direct pressure to you...you see people talkin about other people and how they look and you wouldnt like to be in tha position yourself...