Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yank

Was Muhammad Illiterate All His Life?

I knw that Muslims believe that Muhammad was illiterate at the time the Quran was created. Did he ever learn to read and write or was he illiterate his entire life?

PropellerAds

Peace

Yes, Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam was illiterate until he died. All what he did was reciting the message. Even the Sunnah he did not receive though reading but the Archangel Gabriel aleihi salam showed him step by step what the verses of Qur'an mean. There were companions who wrote down the verses. In a timespan of 23 years the verses of the Qur'an came down. Muslim scholars, scholars of hadith and scholars of tafseer/Qur'an are able to find out when exactly a verse came down.

After the death of Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam knowledge spread and the word "Iqra" now can be translated as Read but in the case of Muhammad it means "Recite!"

There is one thing I would like to clarify:

Muslims do not believe that the Qur'an was created. The Qur'an is not a creation of Allah Subhanahu wa ta'ala because the Qur'an is the Speech of God Almighty and the Speech and Word of Allah is not created but REVEALED.

Next time, it would be better if you say that the Qur'an is revealed not created.

Salam

Peace

Yes, Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam was illiterate until he died. All what he did was reciting the message. Even the Sunnah he did not receive though reading but the Archangel Gabriel aleihi salam showed him step by step what the verses of Qur'an mean. There were companions who wrote down the verses. In a timespan of 23 years the verses of the Qur'an came down. Muslim scholars, scholars of hadith and scholars of tafseer/Qur'an are able to find out when exactly a verse came down.

Grace and Peace muhsinmuttaqi,

I have read this, that Muslims teach that Muhammad ibn Abdullah was illiterate. I understand that he spent much of his early adult life as a very valuable assistant to Khadija, who would someday become his wife. Do you thnk it is possible for Muhammad ibn Abdullah to have been the successful merchant aid to Khadija if he was unable to write?

I have also read that Muhammad made a treaty with the Meccans and they refused to concede that he was a Prophet of Allah, so he struck out that phrase on the treaty and wrote, "Muhammad ibn Abdullah". Am I in error here? I thought I read it from a source which quotes this from several hadith? Does anyone know this?

Peace 4 Real.

peace Igantus

In those days Of Arabia you did not have to read and write to be a succesful merchant and Not to read and write was something common .

I have also read that Muhammad made a treaty with the Meccans and they refused to concede that he was a Prophet of Allah, so he struck out that phrase on the treaty and wrote, "Muhammad ibn Abdullah". Am I in error here? I thought I read it from a source which quotes this from several hadith? Does anyone know this?

This is a mistake , the One who did this was a man called suhail Ibn Amr who represented the Meccans .

peace Igantus

In those days Of Arabia you did not have to read and write to be a succesful merchant and Not to read and write was something common .

This is a mistake , the One who did this was a man called suhail Ibn Amr who represented the Meccans .

Grace and Peace Al Faqeer,

I can understand that but the particulars of being a merchant demands that one read, write and know math. If anyone could, what does hadith say Muhammad ibn Abdullah did for Khadija as her assistant? How involved was he in her business affairs? Thanks.

Peace 4 Real.

Grace and Peace Al Faqeer,

I can understand that but the particulars of being a merchant demands that one read, write and know math. If anyone could, what does hadith say Muhammad ibn Abdullah did for Khadija as her assistant? How involved was he in her business affairs? Thanks.

Peace 4 Real.

just cos a person dont know how to write dont make them dumb or bad at maths.

just cos a person dont know how to write dont make them dumb or bad at maths.

Grace and Peace be with you slave,

I don't think I asserted that Muhammad ibn Abdullah was dumb. I'm not sure where you got this? :D

What I am asking is what did he do that was so valuable for the Merchant Khadija if he couldn't read or write? I mean, he clearly couldn't read contracts, do records or anything if he couldn't read and write. Did he know math? What does the hadiths say he did for Khadija's Merchant business?

Peace 4 Real.

Edited by Ignatius

Salaam

It helps but you don’t need to read or write to be successful in business or being able to do business.

No doubt Muhammad (pbuh) would be able to employ staff/servants when dealing in business. Doesn’t mean he’s not able to negotiate arrangements with other merchants etc etc. (I don’t know any other information; perhaps more knowledgeable brothers and sisters could explain better :D)

Just a quick personal story. My Grandfather who cannot read or write was able to run a successful business. Same with his younger brother, who was able to open up, maintain and eventually succeed in his business enterprises in Edinburgh.

I knw that Muslims believe that Muhammad was illiterate at the time the Quran was created. Did he ever learn to read and write or was he illiterate his entire life?

Holy Qur'an mentions the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) as UMMI - which if translated in English properly - would be UNLETTERED.

Even the Bible calls him - "He will speak the words put into his mouth by his Lord".

Yes, the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) 'could not read or write' - all his blessed life.

Holy Qur'an is not Allah's 'creation'. It's His word - And therefore, in addition to Allah (swt) it's the only one which could be called HOLLY. It was revealed to the Prophet (pbuh) during the last 23-year of his mortal life on this planet.

Allah knows the best.

Correction the Quran is not created, it is the uncreated speach of Allah swt, to beleive otherwise is agianst the mainstream Islamic beliefs.

Even the Bible calls him - "He will speak the words put into his mouth by his Lord".

Grace and Peace Shaukat,

Did you know the apostle Peter confirmed that Jesus Christ was the fulfillment of the prophet of Deuteronomy 18:15-18 (in Acts 3:19-23)?

"Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord; and that He may send Jesus, the Christ appointed for you, whom heaven must receive until the period of restoration of all things about which God spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets from ancient time. "Moses said, 'THE LORD GOD WILL RAISE UP FOR YOU A PROPHET LIKE ME FROM YOUR BRETHREN; TO HIM YOU SHALL GIVE HEED to everything He says to you. 'And it will be that every soul that does not heed that prophet shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.' - Acts 3:19-23

I'm not sure if Muslim apologists read Christian Scripture before they construct argumentation like this but it would help to craft one that is convincing.

Okay, lets get back to Muhammad ibn Abdullah and literacy. I tend to agree with you that Muhammad ibn Abdullah was probably illiterate. This would explain why his knowledge of Christianity appears to be oral in origin and particular to Christian Nestorians and Ebionites who would have been active in the regions he traveled as a aid for the Merchant Khadija. It's very interesting to me to note that Muhammad's views on Christianity and in particular the views concerning Christianity in the Qu'ran parallel Nestorius, partriarch of Constantinople for three years (428-431 AD), and founded the Nestorian Church, which had many followers in Persia. Nestorius denied the teaching that Jesus Christ was the God-Man come to earth to redeem fallen mankind. To Nestorius, "Christ was in effect only a perfect man who was morally linked to deity." Of course, Nestorius' views were condemned in 431 AD at the Council of Nicea at Ephesus, 139 years before Muhammad was born. Clearly, the argument might be made that Muhammad understanding of Christianity was informed by Nestorianism.

Isn't that interesting?

Peace 4 Real.

Edited by Ignatius

Clearly, the argument might be made that Muhammad understanding of Christianity was informed by Nestorianism.

Isn't that interesting?

Or by who knows more than Nestorius and everyone else on earth. Dont forget that you are assuming that Nestorius is mistaken. If you assume that he is not, then (if Nestorius believes that Jesus is only a Prophet) then Mohammed saas did not need to learn Christianity from anyone since he is already getting his inforamtion from God.

I cant really talk to you about historic details, I dont claim to be a historian, but Didn't such beliefs be banned by the Roman Chirch long before Mohammed saas was born?

Dear Ignatius

Though Prophet Mohammad PBUH did not attend any worldly school but with the help of GOD through angel Gibrael, he was the most learned Messeger of God in cosmos.

Concen Quran, It seems clearly that you have never red it. Because If your read it with translation, automatically you will believe instantly that who is speaking in Quran? God Almight. Besides Arabic text of Quran is so powerful and wast that Biggest arbic scholars 1400 years ago and even now and up to the day of resurrection will be unable to make a even single verse like that. The people who are scholar in Arabic Language understand it very well.

Besides from 1400 years not a single world of Quran in Arabic text is changed. Is it not a miracle itsself.

Because God Says in Quran " We have sent Quran and We are Guarding it from Corruption"

An other place God says in Quarn:

" Say: â€If all the humans and all the jinns banded together in order to produce a Quran like this, they could never produce anything like it, no matter how much assistance they lent one another.†Noble Quran verse 17:88

Concerning Bible, Though Injeel (Bible is true book of God) But It no longer exists in it true form. Nicea Council burned all the original Hibro text of bibles and now there is no any criteria left to judge what is true and what is forged. Unlike one Arabic Quran, there are ove 72 mutually-conflicting editions of bible now writtten by different people not by GD or Jesus PBUH.

To read how many forged and untrue verses has be added, modified and deleted from bible during last 2000 years.; pls visit following link:

"http://islaminfo/new/bible.asp"]islaminfo/new/bible.asp[/url]

If you think you are very open mind person then visit following site to know the reality which was hidden under the false fabrications and assumption of 20 centuries

"http://tombofjesus/home.htm"]tombofjesus/home.htm[/url]

After visiting a.m website in full which may take a week ormore, ask your concious what is truth and waht is not truth?

:D

Ok, this is confusing. If Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) didn't learn how to read and write throughout his life then how did he write the letters he sent to kings to invite them to Islam? :D

:D

Ok, this is confusing. If Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) didn't learn how to read and write throughout his life then how did he write the letters he sent to kings to invite them to Islam? :D

:D sister!

The answer to your question is in the article (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.almizan(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/new/article3.asp"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.almizan(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/new/article3.asp[/url]

Wassalam