Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hussein1

Madhab

Assalam alaikum,

Please can someone explains this to me and proof please will b preciated:

Question: Why there all these different madhab in Islam and all these madhab we have now, at the time of prophet mohammad saw were there any madhab and also was Mohammad saw followin any madhab?

Shukran for any help givin

PropellerAds

:D

At the time of the Prophet :D and of the Rightly Guided Caliphs, the interpretations were very clear and there was consensus of opinion, even if there was disagreement on some point.

Another point that needs to be recognised is that Rasool Allah :D did certain things differentlty at different times. This was merely to show that there was flexibility in the performance of the deen.

As time went by, the interpretation of shariah became an issue as there were different interpretations of different things. For example, how the hands should be tied in prayer, wheteer we should raise our hands to the ears every time we get up from rukuh, etc. These are mostly minor things that have no effect on the deen. The result was that four pious men made a sincere effort to understand the deen and interpret it according to their understanding, so that it became simple for us. We can refer to the Qur'an and Sunnah to find the answers to questsions in our daily life. But this is tedious and requiress some basic understanding of the deen. But, if we look at the fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence) from the view point of these scholars, it seems relatively easier.

Mind you that these scholars never opposed each others views. In fact, they encouraged their students to be extremely tolerant towards the other schools.

I hope i have given sufficient explanation. In case you want more, please feel free to ask, :D somebody will provide better explanation.

Wassalam

As-salaamu alaykum

There is a book called "The Evolution of Fiqh" by Bilal Philips. The book is really good in terms of explaining how the Madhabs that we have came about and how there were more then the current ones we have today, not just the four Imams. I would reccomend this book for you to read.