Islamic Forum
Umm e Sarwat

one-meal-a-day diet

Assalam Alaikum

One Meal Per day .. Alhamdulillah .. I follow it and yes i eat between Asr and Maghrib usually.

I am on this since age 13 or 14 and just coz the Prophet Peace be uponhim never ate 3 times i avoided it. I eat when i feel hungry and it is usually asr or sumtimes its early morning.

Alhamdulillah i am happy someone seconds my thoughts or else every1 says i am ungrateful as i dunt eat, and hurt myself. though i dont'.

I had never disclosed toa ny1 the real reasons of my less diet unless recently i was questioned by my daughters and yes similarly i sleep also less.. week days i sleep 3 hours and sometimes 4 hours, and on friday i sleep more as it is rest day.

Alahmdulillah I am so grateful to you Bro Abukhaleel, you have indeeed boosted me in my way of life:)

Jazak Allah khair wa Taqabbal Allah minna wa minkum

ameen

PropellerAds
One Meal Per day .. Alhamdulillah .. I follow it and yes i eat between Asr and Maghrib usually. I am on this since age 13 or 14 and just coz the Prophet Peace be uponhim never ate 3 times i avoided it. I eat when i feel hungry and it is usually asr or sumtimes its early morning.
Assalam Alaikum

Ooops.. Wow.. hmm.. I don't know how to react now :sl:

Seriously saying tht I can't live without my Food. I mean, I eat 4-5 times a day. Whenever I feel hungry - I just order and never cared about Fats etc.. at all. Alhumdulillah.. I'm not Obese but I like food or you can say I love food. :sl:

I'm amazed about Umm e Sarwat's diet. Keep it up!

Jazaak Allah Khair for sharing this with us..

May Allah swt bless us all.. ameen

:sl:

The above posts were moved here from another topic because they were off topic there.

Sister Umm e Sarwat,

You raised a very important issue. I highly advise you against continuing your one meal a day diet. This is bad for your health.

If you must, then its better to fast then.

But even fasting is not to be followed the whole year round, let alone all your life!

Our digestive system needs to be considered here. Let me give you an example. Let's say that you have accustomed your body to consume 1500 calories per day (adults need 2500~3500 calories per day, according to your rate of activity that you do in your life style). Subhan Allah, our bodies were made with an internal intelligent survival sensors. Once your body detects that you're consuming less food than it used to have, it presumes that you're probably in a dangerous situation (famine, lost in desert, etc.) and so the body starts to lower its rate of metabolism, so that it burns food in a lesser rate than the usual, and so adjusts itself. Thats why when we do a diet, we feel starving in the first 2 days, then much better as we continue on.

So, let's say that you have accustomed your body to consume 1500 calories per day, and that you take that much in just one meal.

By doing so, you're straining your digestive system and stressing it to work too much, when you could have divided the same amount of food to consume it in several meals during the day.

Its like having someone who works for you, say to put 150 books on your shelves each day, but you insist that he holds them all in one go, and wouldn't listen to him begging you to allow him to move them in smaller patches. Both ways will end up with the 150 books on your shelves.

We need to be caring for our body systems, which are precious gifts from our Creator, Allah :sl:

Contrary to your dangerous diet, consider this 6-meals diet. Yes, 6 meals a day. But first know that by meal we don't mean a full meal. An apple on its own is considered a meal.

The 6-meals a day diet were found to be:

• better for our digestive system
  • easy on our stomach
  • makes us feel great and energetic along the whole day
  • makes us eat less
  • makes us lose overweight
  • suitable both for the young and elderly people

Here is a sample of what to eat in a 6-meals a day diet:

1. first meal in the morning: fruits only (any variety)
  2. second meal (2~3 hours later): cottage cheese + green salad + whole wheat toast/bread
  3. third meal - lunch
  4. fourth meal (2~3 hours later): yogurt
  5. fifth meal (2~3 hours later): light dinner
  6. sixth meal - before bedtime: light fruits

Your stomach and your whole digestive system will thank you for it, I'm sure.

Just try it, and insha'Allah you'll feel much better.

Assalam Alaikum Wa rahmatullahi Wa barakatuhum

JAzak Allah khair for your kind consideration Brother Dot!

You raised a very important issue. I highly advise you against continuing your one meal a day diet. This is bad for your health.

If you must, then its better to fast then.

But even fasting is not to be followed the whole year round, let alone all your life!

Jazak Allah khair, Yes I usually fast but notthe whole year round; but most of the days, and the days i dunt i eat only one or two times a day.

I used to eat a lot until i was in ignorance about Islam, and then when i learned about Islam my diet just reduced automatically i never felt hungry alot. and get full soon Alhamdulillah. Later when i studied about teh Life style of The Prophet Peace Be Upon Him, my diet reduced even more. and I usually prefer dates and milk, or Tea and biscuits.

I will InshaAllah try the diet you have suggested, I do eat at times a lot. but thaz only when I really feel like eating and i am left undisturbed (which is very rare) .. And i have a big time trouble eating fruits, I only eat bananas. Alhamdulillah

Do make Dua for me, especially for my health.

JAzak Allah khair..

Taqabbal Allah minna wa minkum

wa Assalam Alaikum Wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhum.

:sl:

May Allah bless you always with good health, and guide us all to whatever pleases Him, ameen.

1-meal-a-day!!!!!

wow.

i also dont want to eat when i am not hungry.specialy at night.but 1 meal a day! that would be a wonder for me if did that.hehehehe.

sister um-sarwat, salaamulaikee..

1. i tell you as a doctor, a muslim doctor that your regime of food intake is absolutely healthy....not only for this life but the grave too..people who eat less..remain on the verge of fasting/starving their dead bodies do not putrefy /rot in the grave..everyone else does

.2; dot writes,"when you eat less, your body adjusts to consuming less"..that is exactly what umar razi allahu anhu sai,d"you can increase your diet and your sleep, as much as you please"..

he also said,"talking less , sleeping less , and eating less is also ibaada/t"..

our mother ayesha razi allahu anha is known to have said,"the first bida'a that beacme an epidemic was filling stomachs without room for hunger

when musl;im armies used to be at war with non muslims who would deny applying the quranic code as rule of the land,or paying tax, the non-muslim generals would inquire of their agents about the source of strenght of the muslim armies, why they were invincible....and the agents would retort/reply.."your armies eat heavy meals , and sleep long hours so they would have energy for the battle, the muslim army fasts during the day and at night they stand in prayers"..

in surah mazammil where Allah subhanoihu v ta'laa instructs rasoolullah for tahajjud...Allah makes it clear that "the long tiring swim during the day(in the sea of social interactions)needs energy, but energy is the provision granted by the MUQTADIR..not sleep or food..

so stay stead fast in your meal regime, brother dot will grow up to know better inshallah...

besides the six=meal regime would ceratinly make the suhaabaa look so ill-provided for..would it not bro dot?

Assalam alaikum

Mashahallah, two grt Muslims brothers had described about the Diet intake with two different angles. And in my view, both are good for health.

I believe tht food is good for health and soul till it doesn't makes you Lazy couch patoto and it doesn't keep you away from the Iba'dat of Allah swt at the regular basis.

May Allah swt bless you both for giving us wonderful advices.. ameen

May Allah swt give us taufeeq to understand the Quran and Sunnah.. ameen

Allah subhanohu v ta'laa's name : "samad" = the 'giver' /never ever the taker....,i remember once as i traveled in a muslim country at war with non-muslims , a saudi with a long beard, an employee of 'saudia'..the royal saudi civil aviation agency, had said,"i hear them say that when there is no 'sweet' water to drink, the bombing warplanes of the invaders occasionally cause a deep ditch that has sweet water erupting from it's base---subhan-Allah ,how is that possible?"...a listener had said,"HOW can you say subhan-Allah and question Allah's ability to do what he pleases, in the same sentence??...

i have a feeling this is a sponsored discussion...and it is going to turn into a debate between those who believe Allah is all-capable without any need of help/assistance/acceptance from anyone, and those that will say,have said,and may continue saying all their lives,"Allah is all-capable, but...."

the number of calories an adult body needs/day...

..if the researchers had started with the question,"the number of calories used up each day by the activities/processes involved in:

,finding food,

preparing it,

eating/drinking it,

breaking the constituents of a meal into smaller pieces that may be absorbed by the cells/bricks that make the walls of the stomach and the intestines,

the conveyance of these food products (meal products) to every cell/brick of the body(the nail, a single finger-nail is made of 3 million cells/bricks),

the acquistion of air through the lungs to provide air to the cells/bricks of the body so that they do not suffocate with the food being stuffed into/onto them,

the conveyance of that acquired air to each body cell ,

the picking up of the waste products/excretory products/junk from eachbody cell

conveying that junk/excretory products to the outside of the body

repairing the millions of microscopicdamages done to the (microscopic) cells due to the heavy traffic of food,gases,poisons(junk) being dragged along their surfaces every few hours, every day..

obtaining, repair products from the obtained food, conveying them to the needed sites of repair, removing the debris accumulated at the site of damage and conveying the debris to recycling places in the body....

changing the food products that are/were in excess of the body's immediate needs into storable form,

storing such food products in the body's depots

and the energy expended for all the neurologic, hormonal, and somatic mechanisms that go into play for coordinating, keeping coordinated the entire chain of events mentioned above...

i am sure the researchers would have agreed that if not 80% then at least 79% of the energy received by each meal is expended

"for the meal,by the meal, making room for the next meal"....

my personal experience with one meal/day:

1. my sleeping habits improved, i slept less, and felt more agile all day long...agile not as in 'jumping' but as in alert

2.my greed/love for my walks/each day increased, and i started feeling as light on my feet as i did when i was 30 or 32..

3.the joy i received from a cup of tea , increased

4.my attitude in my social interactions became very improved, my speech got rid of the 'waste-of-time/laghv' sentences/words/politics that i would speak only because the frequent meals/day would give me excess energy to waste

5. my ability to censor/monitor the speech of those talking to me ,increased, i would switch my attention "off" when i sensed the speakers' venturing into laghviaat

6. my habit of objecting at others' mistakes got cured, i learned for the first time ever, what patience is, and that it is not only a virtue but a reward, a prize a blessing..not an exercise, as i had felt all my 'full-stomached' life

7. my focus on zikr/dhikr/remembrance of Allah/remebrance of my own shortcomings/mistakes... increased, wasting time on useless thoughts injected by the fear/doubt inducing khannaas reduced remarkably..

8. my tone of speech changed so dramatically that in the first few days i myself was surprised at the low pitched , mild, tone of my own voice

9. my tone in anger aslo changed, p[rofanities/cursing phrases stopped spewing from my mouth altogether..alhamdulillah

10..my belt size(waistline) reverted to 'Islam' :sl:.. i mean belts that fit my waist when i was 30, 31 fit me now when i am 49 according to the Islamic calendar and 47 and a half according to the christian.

11. when i stand up from sitting in the 'attahyaat posture' my knees no longer tell me i am old...indeed at the Masjid i sometimes realise i am the most agile of my age group..

12..most of all..my mind and stomach is no longer stuffed all the time..i earnestly use the phrase 'stuffed' due to a lack of more cogent vocabulary...but that is how i feel if i take more than a single meal/day...everything slows down in my mind and my body...and i despise the feeling of 'sloth' that filled-stomach, mistakenly-satisfied state causes in me....

however i would advise all people younger than 33 to have 2 meals /day...to make raw-vegetables 25% of each meal,

to cut the intake of sugar but increase the use of fruits...eating a fruit does not qualify as a meal...

13...yes and now when some muslim offers me anything edible, i accept it for it is sunnah to accept from a muslim,and i feel that fulfilling that sunnah has been registered in my account, because i feel 'taxed' by breaking my habit of only one meal/day

14..the single meal...vow ,that meal each day is a celebration for me..i look forward to it..and all my senses enjoy that meal, in every sense...and i try ensuring that all sunnahs for eating are met...and this single meal/day does not mean i fast...i drink tea,water,use naswaar/snuff ...and eat fruits..once or twice/day

salaam

[using large font size is not allowed]