Islamic Forum
Aussie

Regarding Islam In North America

Assalamualaikum,

I am a new member from Australia with a dilemma I was hoping you can help me with.

I love Sydney and I was born and raised here but for the last year or so I have been getting bored and frustrated with Australia in general and have been thinking about taking a break and living abroad for a few years. There are a number of reasons Australia frustrates me including unaffordable houses (I am anti-riba), xenophonbia and lack of Islam. I have previously lived in Malaysia and Indonesia.

The obvious choices for me and my wife would be moving to an 'Islamic' country but as you probably know there are often a lot of complications. One of my main concerns is not having enough money to return to Australia when the time comes. Also as my wife and I have Asian heritage I have heard we will be treated as second class people in a lot of so called Islamic countries.

Like most Australians I have about 1000 friends who worked in Canada (mostly the ski fields) and this is what has sparked my interest. As well as the fact that that living expenses seem cheap (at least cars and houses).

So, what is it like to live in North America as a Muslim? What are the communities like? Do you feel that the children/ teenagers are protected from being misguided? Are Muslim migrants/expatriates generally accepted?

Wassalam,

Aussie

PropellerAds
Wow, I'm an Australian with 1000 friends in Canada too!

I take it that is sarcasm. Maybe its just all my friends go over there.

Where are you from jj malik? Melbourne? Sydney?

Salaam,

Im Also A Muslim, Living In Sydney With My Family. The Houses Are Pretty Expensive, But The Lack Of Islam Is Common As Australia Isnt A Muslim Country, But Alhamdulillah We Have Many Muslim Friends Who We Get Together With Which Is Very Good For Us Teenagers.

So, what is it like to live in North America as a Muslim? What are the communities like? Do you feel that the children/ teenagers are protected from being misguided? Are Muslim migrants/expatriates generally accepted?

I Think The 'Lack Of Islam' Will Be Going Round In Many Other Non-Muslim Countries Too. I Guess It All Comes Down To The Parents Teachings To Their Children.

Well Best Wishes For Whatevr You May Choose

Allahafiz

Salaam,

Im Also A Muslim, Living In Sydney With My Family. The Houses Are Pretty Expensive, But The Lack Of Islam Is Common As Australia Isnt A Muslim Country, But Alhamdulillah We Have Many Muslim Friends Who We Get Together With Which Is Very Good For Us Teenagers.

I Think The 'Lack Of Islam' Will Be Going Round In Many Other Non-Muslim Countries Too. I Guess It All Comes Down To The Parents Teachings To Their Children.

Well Best Wishes For Whatevr You May Choose

Allahafiz

Thanks x-Live.Laugh.Love-x, I know Aus isnt that bad. I'm just looking for a seachange. Although if I ever do find the ideal Muslim Country, I'll be first in line :sl:

All the teenagers in america i see are misguided. save your money to when an Islamic state is born. Which should not be to long to happen. Like Iraq, when the war is all done and the muslims wins it would be a good place to live.

I take it that is sarcasm. Maybe its just all my friends go over there.

Where are you from jj malik? Melbourne? Sydney?

Hahaha, no. But now that I look at it a lot of my posts seem like sarcasm, but it's not. I actually do have a lot of friends in Canada because bengalis when they are going overseas usually go to Canada, Australia or Britain.

Come on people.

I would have thought that a question about living in America would be best asked on an American forum . But the only replies I got were from 2 Australians and a Banned member.

Whats the deal?

:sl:

I've not been around here much lately, so I wouldn't know, but I don't think there are thaaaat many members from America around here. :sl:

Anyways, I'm a teenager growing up in California. Southern California at that. I won't say things are the best for Muslim kids growing up here. But you have to be prepared to make the effort, and seek the reward of Allah. If you move to a place like Houston, Orange County, San Diego, San Jose, or New York City you will see a lot of Muslims, and a lot of diversity amongst the Muslims as there are lot of Muslims. Regarding Southern California particularly, if you're walking around, don't expect to say hijaabi girls or bearded brothers much. If you do see a hijaabi girl, they might be wearing tight clothes. However, if you keep your children close to the masajid and specifically the people of knowledge, inshaAllah you will be successful. The Al Maghrib institute has a base here in Southern California and two bases up in Northern California, which is open to ages 13 and up I think. So things aren't the best here and you might not see much impressive efforts on the outside, but there are some changes for the better being made for the children growing up... It also depends on how strong the parent's values are. Remember, a child can grow up in Makkah, and be misguided if the parents don't instill in them the fear of Allah and protecting them from evil friends...

That said, you mentioned the prices of housing being an issue, so I suppose Orange County and Southern California would be a difficulty. If you were to go to a place like Salt Lake City, or some other place where the Muslim community is growing, it would be more close knit and the also affordable.

:sl:

Just adding to Labibah's post. I live in Northern California...the 'Bay Area' specifically. There is a very big muslim community over here..lots of diversity..and we have alot of masaajid and Islamic schools for kids, and zaytuna institute etc. I don't think there is much difference in bringing up kids in NA than Australia, the way kids grow up depends largely on the way parents raise them.

Living in Silicon Valley can be a bit expensive...it depends what field you are going to be in.

Alot people I know have moved to Houston, TX becasue it has the lowest cost of living and least expensive housing compared to other places and a bigger muslim population than our area.

I hear Canada is a better place than the US but the members who live there will know better.

Jazakallah khair for you replies,

Its refreshing to get an opinion from Muslims who are living there as its Its difficult to get quality (Muslim related) information here.

I understand the US is a pretty popular place for migrants and expatriates does this make it difficult to find employment? I work in IT btw

:sl: brother,

Rent is quite high here in Canada.

As far as I am aware, there is an Islamic alternative to mortgage offered by one company here, but currently it's for the well-off Muslims (since it requires down payment and monthly payment might come out to be quite big).

The Muslim community is alhamdulillah very good. But the environment in large is quite poisonous, especially for the kids and teenagers. It's important to stay connected to the masajids and Islamic activities. There are a few good Islamic schools, and a few madrasah. Alhamdulillah.

Regardless of where you end up moving (or staying back), ask Allah to guide you, preferably through the Isitkhaara prayer.

May Allah make it easy for you. Ameen.

Assalaamu 'alaikum.

Jazakallah khair K-melon,

I have done a bit of research and now have a fair idea now on what its like. Rental properties do seem high in comparison to mortgages repayments which is a bit strange but its still cheaper than here. I dont have much to loose and for the lifestyle change and knowledge gained I think will try my luck in Canada just have to shoot off some job apps and find out if I am employable or not. I will begin praying Istkhaara as you suggested to make sure it is the right decision.

Wa alaikum assalam,

Aussie

... in Canada just have to ...

asSalaamu'alaykum. . . . So, how's it getting on? I need your posts in "Islam in Indonesia" as you'd lived. Would you please?