Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arsalan

Black Muslims

I just wont to make it clear that race does not matter when one submits to Allah swt! :D

Black Muslims

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/s...1529746,00.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/s...1529746,00.html[/url]

More switch to faith

Laura Smith

Saturday July 16, 2005

The Guardian

The discovery that the fourth man who took part in the London bombings was Jamaican-born Jermaine Lindsay will do little to reassure black British converts who already feel unfairly maligned by comparisons to the would-be shoe bomber, Richard Reid. Those who worship at the Brixton Masjid and Islamic Cultural Centre in south London, which is attended by a large number of black converts with origins in both Africa and the Caribbean, said yesterday they had long felt under attack.

British-born Richard Reid, the failed shoe bomber, and Jamaican-born Abdullah el-Faisal, who was jailed for nine years for soliciting the murder of Jews, Hindus, Americans and other "non-believers", are both converts with their roots in the Caribbean. But Abdulhaq Addae, a spokesman for the Masjid, said it would be dangerous to draw conclusions. "If you look at the number of people from Caribbean backgrounds who are becoming Muslims in Birmingham, in Luton, in London, it is ridiculous to suggest that because two have become involved in violence there is some kind of trend. If there was a problem there would be a much more regular occurrence of this kind of thing."

Mr Addae, who is originally from Ghana and converted to Islam 10 years ago, said he had seen an increase in south London in converts from all backgrounds since 9/11, including those with origins in the Caribbean. "Some people might say that it's because of the history of the Caribbean, and the fact that a large number of slaves were Muslim, but I think it's for more personal reasons," he said. "I converted because I studied a lot about it and the Muslim concept of God seemed to make sense to me."

Just over 9% of black Britons described themselves as Muslim in the 2001 census, making Islam the second largest religion in Britain's black community after Christianity.

But black converts from the Caribbean still make up only a tiny proportion of Britain's Muslim community. Overall, just 7% of British Muslims are black, most of them of African origin. Only 0.79% of black Caribbeans described themselves as Muslim compared with 20% of black Africans.

An imam, who did not want to be named, said some young black men looked to Islam as an answer to their sense of alienation. He said the largest number of African-Caribbean converts were introduced to the religion in prison, where more than 9% of the population is Muslim.

"People from the African-Caribbean community say they have come back to their roots because their ancestors would be Muslim, but the slave trade broke their link with that," he said.

"Islam is seen as coming home."

PropellerAds

unrelated to THE TOPIC HEADING : "black muslims", more to do with a specific sub group of black muslim society in AMERICAN prisons specifically form some raeson or another, but who later find FAITH !!!

Islam and the African American Prisoner :D

FULL ARTICLE HERE:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_usa.mediamonitors(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/content/view/full/16779"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_usa.mediamonitors(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/content/view/full/16779[/url]

by Steven Malik Shelton

(Friday July 15 2005)

"The African American gets into trouble when he thinks he can find the correct way on his own, without any help or direction from the divine source. And he is led astray by the system of mis-education that prompt him to believe that there is no god. He looks around his world and sees unimaginable cruelty, poverty and neglect and wonders how a beneficent all powerful deity can decree such misery. Moreover, even the supposedly learned scientists, philosophers, scholars and intellectuals spout empirical theories of dialectical materialism and the self perpetuation of matter which serve to underscore his belief in the futility of life and influence him to worship only that which crosses his vision or that which can conceivably fall within his grasp."

Many African American prison inmates are attracted to Al Islam because it provides the remedy to a host of problems and destructive influences that led them to a lifestyle which provided the justification to incarcerate them.

Typically, African Americans take on a criminal mind-set and become involved in criminal pursuits because of a sense of hopelessness and despair. Their lives seem to be without purpose, meaning and direction, and they become ensnared in a superficial, destructive process where they imitate the behavior that appears to result in economic and social prosperity for those who aggressively acquire the trappings of prosperity through whatever means, whether fair or foul. This selfish, opportune conduct is not limited to the Black, the Brown or the impoverished, but cuts across all economic/ social levels and is engaged in by people who manipulate the highest reins of political and economic power which in turn infuses it with the stamp of legitimacy and approval.

As Salaam Alaikum,

Typically, African Americans take on a criminal mind-set and become involved in criminal pursuits because of a sense of hopelessness and despair.

Oh my! This guy has absoloutly no idea what he is speaking about when it comes to African Americans. That is extremely stereotypical. He does not understand materialsm and education from criminal acts.

salaam

Salam yes i dont agree with all the assertions in the article. ANd i second what you are saying, that a misleading and simplistic way of looking at things.

There are actually more blacks converting to TRUE Islam in America than people think. We all don't join NOI. (I'm a perfect example of that.)

Imperial1

There are actually more blacks converting to TRUE Islam in America than people think. We all don't join NOI. (I'm a perfect example of that.)

Imperial1

Assalamo Alaikum, sister!

In two of my posts, responding to your posts, I have asked you to send salutations whe starting your post. I did not know that you are a revert. I am sorry. B)

The prescribed minimum is what I have written, in English, above. When you write this, or say it when meeting a person/s you send peace and blessings of Allah :D on them. In return they send the peace and blessings on you, by saying Walaikum Assalam.

You may also use the smilie which is : s : (without the spaces).

Wassalam

no offense or anything but in america , there are a lot of former-gangster blacks who convert to Islam but sadly their image and style don't project it at all. forgive me if i'm generalizing but this is what i have seen with my own eyes and they are unfortunatley setting a bad image for Islam

i dont have an edit option but i want to add that the way they speak and act dont project Islam and these are ppl who set up masjids and call themselves imams

Salaam,

I know what you mean (some call themselves Muslims, others Christians) but they promote guns, drugs and violence.

I'm glad that some 'gangstas' are now taking a stance against this (eg: Ms Dynamite)

DARLA

:D

Are they real converts, or are they members of the Nation of Islam? The latter has nothing to do with Islam.Louis Farakhan's teachings are not Islam.

Wassalam

A Black majority muslim community in UK(mainly from westindies i was told )

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.turntoislam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/pages/brixton_mosque.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.turntoislam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/pages/brixton_mosque.html[/url]

Edited by al-malabari

no offense or anything but in america , there are a lot of former-gangster blacks who convert to Islam but sadly their image and style don't project it at all. forgive me if i'm generalizing but this is what i have seen with my own eyes and they are unfortunatley setting a bad image for Islam

Salaam,

Do you have any stats or numbers confirming the number of non-NOI black muslims?

Imperial1

Salaam,

I know what you mean (some call themselves Muslims, others Christians) but they promote guns, drugs and violence.

I'm glad that some 'gangstas' are now taking a stance against this (eg: Ms Dynamite)

DARLA

Salaam,

MS DYNAMITE IS A MUSLIM?!?!!??! :D

Imperial1

can yall not say "blacks" i find that really offensive and it just sounds wrong

Salaam,

I don't find it offensive and I'm black myself. I find black people using the "n" word more offensive than being called black.

Imperial1

Salaam,

Do you have any stats or numbers confirming the number of non-NOI black muslims?

Imperial1

wa alikum, no hun im not an ecycopedia but i do know that they're either NOI or no lol, MOST of them are not a good image for Islam because they pick and choose what they want to believe for their purposes( racial, etc.) and they leave the otehr fundamental parts of Islam out and that is very insulting to me because Islam is a way of life, not just pick and choose what you like

can yall not say "blacks" i find that really offensive and it just sounds wrong

im sorry hunny in that case why do u call whites whites? :D

i dont find being called black offensive i am a black african and proud.

i just find the way some people say it ex. those blacks or there were alot of "blacks" out there,things like that. instead of saying black people it is offensive it's like saying whites it just sounds wrong.i dont know how to explain it.

but it's rude and u dont say that where i'm from"blacks" i'm just not feeling the way it's said not the word itself.

i dont find being called black offensive i am a black african and proud.

i just find the way some people say it ex. those blacks or there were alot of "blacks" out there,things like that. instead of saying black people it is offensive it's like saying whites it just sounds wrong.i dont know how to explain it.

but it's rude and u dont say that where i'm from"blacks" i'm just not feeling the way it's said not the word itself.

i dont understand :D but im sorry if it hurts ur feelings because i dont know of any other word, if there is plz teach me . when someone calls me white or afghan i dont get offended hun because its how god made me

^lol u really dont understand what i'm saying.

you refer to a pakistani as pakistani not paki

just like when you refer to black or white people u say black or white people not "blacks" and "whites"

BLACK PEOPLE ,WHITE PEOPLE

do u get it now

^lol u really dont understand what i'm saying.

you refer to a pakistani as pakistani not paki

just like when you refer to black or white people u say black or white people not "blacks" and "whites"

BLACK PEOPLE ,WHITE PEOPLE

do u get it now

lollllllllllll

paki is a short way of saying pakistani why is that offensive, blacks is another way of saying black people and whites is another way of saying white people lolllll.... i always say whites, blacks , pakis :D :D

paki is offensive if u say it when your not pakistani just go ask them.

what u say is your own bussiness but i find it offensive people dont say that where i live, i dont know where u live.

i am black and i find u saying" blacks "instead of black people offensive u are neither of these people mentioned so i dont blame u for not understanding.

Something interesting i noticed that in Toronto you can refer someone black as black and they wont take offense to it..

but here in the states they do.. actually called African-American.. i dunno.. but interesting..

you can refer to me as black and i wont take offense

but when you refer to my people as "blacks" intead of "black people" then you can be sure i'll say something about it.