Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paki Brother

Prayer Mat

:D

I have heard from a bunch of Indo/Pak's that if you don't close your jahnimaaz (prayer mat) after you pray then the Shaitan comes on it and some say he urinates on it.

I have no clue where people get that from and I remember hearing Azhar Usman the comedian even joke about how people believe that.

I always get people giving me the "shocked" look when they see I leave my prayer mat open even when I'm not praying and was wondering how can I show them proof that what they are saying is not true.

I have never seen a hadith as such. Where did this originate from?

PropellerAds

As-salaamu 'alaikum

Yeah, it is amazing what some will believe.

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

abu suhaylah

Assalam alaiku,

I hear a lot of things from people. Some say saints can fly and some say the dead can hear us. Its best to get your sources of Information from reliable sources.

Any idea on how I can tell them this since they would probably flip out if I told them that what they are saying is not true at all.

:D Paki Brother!

I have heard the same sort of 'stories' so I say the onus is on them to provide proof of their claim.

I always get people giving me the "shocked" look when they see I leave my prayer mat open even when I'm not praying and
More a practicality issue than religious its better you fold and put it away for later use because if its not being used then why is it out in the open? People could potentially step on it, someone could drop stuff on it etc.. get my point :D?? Just as a side FYI i've never heard what you are saying though..

As-salaamu alaykum

I actually had a laugh about that one. But like one of the posters said, they should bring you the proof if they are the one's saying that, i don't believe its on you. Allahu A3lim

Also you don't even need a prayer mat to make you Salaah anyways, you can make it anywhere. Allaah Knows Best

I close my prayer mat to prevent dust from settling on it.

The bottom of my prayer mat becomes dusty, and I dont want the place where I put my face to become dusty as well.

Any idea on how I can tell them this since they would probably flip out if I told them that what they are saying is not true at all.

Peace,

you can ask them where in the Quran is that said or in wchich hadit. Then, as they won't be able to give you the source, ask them who told them and why they believed them, if they are prone to believe whatever thing others say to them withouth proofs. Also you can remind them that the quran encourages verification:

YUSUFALI: O ye who believe! If a wicked person comes to you with any news, ascertain the truth, lest ye harm people unwittingly, and afterwards become full of repentance for what ye have done.

YUSUFALI: And pursue not that of which thou hast no knowledge; for every act of hearing, or of seeing or of (feeling in) the heart will be enquired into (on the Day of Reckoning)

and knowledge:

YUSUFALI: High above all is Allah, the King, the Truth! Be not in haste with the Qur'an before its revelation to thee is completed, but say, "O my Lord! advance me in knowledge."

and using our intelligence:

YUSUFALI: They will further say: "Had we but listened or used our intelligence, we should not (now) be among the Companions of the Blazing Fire!"

Asalaamo aleykum,

My husband says the same thing to me, and when he sees me not folding a corner (!) when I leave it, he really gets angry. He also says the Shaytaan urinates on it otherwise. When I asked him "what about the prayermats in the Masjid?" he says "but Shaytaan doesnot come there for it is a holy site" ... :D :D

But still, he never gives me any daleel ever.

waleykum assalaam,

LOL there must be different version...My mum said that back in india they would tell her that shaytaan would come and pray on the prayer mat... her grandfather who was a strict no nonsese Hakeem would then say to my mom "go open all the prayer mats in the house!!! Let him pray if he wants!!!" LOL....Obviously HE didn;t belive that!!!!hehehe

Asalaamo aleykum,

reading all the replies and experiences, I remembered this :

Sufyaan ath-Thawree, "Innovations are more beloved to Satan than sin. Since a sin may be repented from but an innovation is not repented from" [sharh Usul I'tiqaad of al-Laalikaa'ee]. This is because the innovator believes that he is doing something good and therefore sees no need to repent.

I cannot understand why some people are so stubburn, even when proof comes to them . :D

waleykum assalaam,

you will find this strange belief refuted in bahesti zewar supplement(a) to bahesti zewar part nine: a few important masa'il, number 35:

it is the belief of ignorant women that once the salaat is offered, the musalla(prayer mat) should be folded, if not, shaytaan will sit on it. this is absolutely incorrect.

no offence ladies, i'm just copying from the book. page 853.

you will find this strange belief refuted in bahesti zewar supplement(a) to bahesti zewar part nine: a few important masa'il, number 35:

it is the belief of ignorant women that once the salaat is offered, the musalla(prayer mat) should be folded, if not, shaytaan will sit on it. this is absolutely incorrect.

no offence ladies, i'm just copying from the book. page 853.

Asalaamo aleykum,

Jazaka Allahu geiran for the information. I just dont understand why you say "no offence ladies"..? :D

I didnot say I follow this Bi'dah, I only told about experiences on seeing others practise this and how weird it is.

What is this name of the book ? Can I find it on the internet ?

waleykum assalaam, :D

because the book says "it is the belief of ignorant women!" so i said no offence ladies!!!

the book is called Bahesti Zewar by Molana Ashraf Ali Thanvi, Zam Zam publishers Karachi Pakistan.

i know everybody does not follow this book, but it is the one that is used for teaching the girls in the masjid here in the u.k.

i'm sure you can find it on the internet.

I just thought I'd add what I heard. When I went to Pakistan last year to my in laws, they were so upset with me when I didn't fold the corner of the mat. They said that Shaitaan dances on it if you don't. The kids said that their teachers at school taught them that. Of course my argument was that you can pray without mats, how do you fold the corner of nothing? They didn't have answers yet they did not agree either. Other things they told me was that killing spiders is haram and and killing lizards is sawab (good deed) because when Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was hiding in the cave, the spider saved him but the lizard told the kafirs where he was hiding. I asked how did the lizard speak? Again no answer and their mom said, "in those days, animals used to speak." :D :D

Erm, if the lizards told them, how comes he wasnt caught??

How can people believe these things! :D

As I am from Pakistan, I can accept people believing that. Pakistan is the den of believing anything.(which some people like Ahmed dedat say about US)

As for the lizards, there is Thawab(reward) for killing them as a lizard kept blowing on the fire to grow the fire in Sayyiduna Ibraheem Aleyhisalam when he was in the Fire.

As for the Spiders the most I have heard is that it is disrespectful to squish a sider as it was a spider that spun the web on Thor.

As for the Prayer mat, it is baseless assumption that shaitan will do some thing to it. So is the assumption that if you keep Quraan open shaitan might read from it. however in the latter it is disrespectful to keep it open,

i know it is ok to kill the two black things, snakes and scorpions, but i've never read anywhere that killing a lizard gets reward! i like lizards, so i'm not killing any.

you'd think that as bahesti zewar is published in pakistan then they might have actually read it?????!!!!!!! i mean, it's right there????

Being a Pakistani, i've heard this too. But ask for proof, where does it say, in which hadith, or which chapter in the Quran. I find when i ask this, people be quiet and don't say anything.

Such things are incorrect and should be supported with hadeeths/ayats from the Qu'ran. Next time someone tells you something, please make sure to ask for evidence.

:D sister sawsan

but i've never read anywhere that killing a lizard gets reward! i like lizards, so i'm not killing any.

Killing a house lizard is ordered by Rasulullah :D because when Ibraheem (AS) was ut into the fire, he blew on the fire to make it burn while th erest of the animals trued to put it out...

According to Bukhari, Masnad Ahmad and Ibn Majah, Rasulullah ordered us to kill house lizards (geckos) becuase when Ibraaheem (AS) was thrown into the pit of Fire, all the animals tried extinguishing it, except for the gecko. He blew on it to keep it burning.According to Bukhari, Masnad Ahmad and Ibn Majah, Rasulullah ordered us to kill house lizards (geckos) becuase when Ibraaheem (AS) was thrown into the pit of Fire, all the animals tried extinguishing it, except for the gecko. He blew on it to keep it burning.

Bukhari #3359

Ahmad #6/200, 6/83, 6/217

Ibn Majah #3231 with a slight difference

personally, i find lizards are icky so donlt care much about them dead....i let the cats eat them instead of myself killing them lol

I was also told that you should fold the coners of the prayer mat when i was little. I still do it now.. but just cuz to me when i leave it open i feel like its wrong kinda the same how u dont leave the quran open. So i find folding the corner just like i dunno ... when u put a computer on stand by.. lol. But i dont think its wrong too fold the corner but its not like u get sin not doing it either.

I thought killing all animals is wrong unless u use them (cows for meat)... so if i see an ant in my house i can kill it?