Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hasib

99 Names Of Allah

:D

Someone at this masjid gave me a book on the 99 names of Allah and I was reading it today and have this question.. on all the names mentioned there is a special attribute below the name that explains what the name stands for and there is a short summary of how the name can help us..

For example: "Al-Muhyi" or "The giver of life" and the special attribute of this name is that "If a person has a heavy burden and repeats this name 7 times each day His burden will be taken away"..

This is what the book says.. my question is i'm really confused more than anything.. cause it is Allah that can do anything for us right ? not his name i mean plz forgive my ignorance but how can a name help us or am i wrong plz forgive my ignorance again.. :D for the replies in advance.

PropellerAds

Brother, I asked this question to the shaykh on Islam Channel on program called IslamiQA. You can watch it on internet live at (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamchannel.tv"]www.islamchannel.tv[/url]. It airs mostly at 20:00 British Standard Time (BST) or 19:00 GMT. The reply shaykh gave was that there is no proof from Qur'an or Sunnah that one should recite the name a certain time to gain benefit. He chose the words, "its a lie, and whoever lies upon Allah has reserved his place in hell". Then he went on to explain further about it saying that its wrong to do it because there is no proof.

I have posted the reply in this post:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=13702&view=findpost&p=122593"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=137...ndpost&p=122593[/url]

You should watch the program, it is full of knowledge, common questions which we face in our daily life. I asked him the question while watching the live broadcast on internet. Actually the IslamiQA program should be recorded and distributed free on internet.

This link launches windows media player:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamchannel.tv/videos/BBMetaFile.asx"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamchannel.tv/videos/BBMetaFile.asx[/url]

Indeed, ask for proof. I have a similar book, you read such and such for so many times, and such and such will happen. Sounds like Bid'ah (innovation) to me. I would give the book back to the publishers.

i recite all 99 names, but not a particular one so many times for a certain thing. but i'm probably wrong as well!

As-salaamu 'alaikum

Only Allaah knows how many names He has, but He has revealed many of them in His book (the Qur’aan) and through His Prophet Muhammad (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) in the Saheeh (authentic) (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/glossary/glossary_a000.html#ahadith"]ahaadeeth[/url].

Among the names that we know there are ninety nine names that have special importance, but we do know of more than ninety nine authentic names of Allaah (from the Qur’aan & Sunnah). Abu Hurayrah (radee Allaahu ‘anhu) reported that the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “Surely, Allaah has ninety name names of, one less than a hundred. Whoever counts these names will enter Jannah.†(Saheeh al-Bukhaaree and Saheeh Muslim)

Counting Allaah’s ninety names does not mean only to count them (i.e. keep saying then and repeating them). It means:

1) To Know them.

2) To understand their meaning.

3) To Live in a way that shows we know and believe in them.

So counting Allaah’s means to know them, understand them and live our life in a way that shows we truly believe in them and understand them.

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

abu suhaylah

Excellent points brother, :D for sharing them

Jazak Allah khairun for the useful replies..

the thing that worries me is.....there are soooo many books like these..i.e. say ya Salaamo 160times and the person will be cured.....

and i do believe they are mostly published in india/pakistan.....

so, how abt the people who have no knowledge about this being bidah? InshALLAH they wont get sin, but its still worrying.

As-salaamu 'alaikum

Yes, it is worrying, but also it is very sad, maybe they will be excused for not knowing, but will they be excused for not trying to remove the ignorance from themselves?!

Allaah knows best!

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

abu suhaylah