Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Al Farooq

Zaki Badawi Urge Women To Take Off The Hijab

Now you are putting words in my mouth, I never mentioned the word Kaafir, I called you ignorant (which the Arabic word for is Jaahil), the two words are very different as you can see. And regarding your ignorance I was speaking specifically about the issue of why women choose the face veil and nothing more than that. And you are the one who said you like to look at women, so you said it as opposed to me putting words into your mouth, but let us not loose sight of why we are even talking to one another, and that reason is as you no doubt know, your offensive post about the face veil.

It is likely I will be banned a third time by my friend Zeinab because of the rather tight rules here. I find somethings in Islam, or the Islamic world, offensive to certain degrees to. In this case specifically perhaps that's the wrong word, and I should say dislike.

I do think the full face veils are awful and repressive. I'm sorry that offends you. I'm sure many Western Islamic women would agree with me though.

PropellerAds

no we dont agree with you logic bomb (ironic that you call yourself that when theres not really much logic coming from you)

-from u.k bred muslim hijabi

Sometimes it is better keep your views to yourself, one should know when to speak and know when to withhold!

Sometimes it is better keep your views to yourself, one should know when to speak and know when to withhold!

I'm certainly not saying you have to agree with me though Abu. Just giving the opinion of "my kind" :D incase anyone might be interested

Well I doubt anyone on an Islaamic forum would be interested, and like I said, sometimes better to keep your views to yourself!

I don't agree with Logic Bomb, for the most part. But he did have one good comment. Why don't Muslim men also wear headscarves? It doesn't seem fair to require this of women, but not men.

I can't imagine wearing a headscarf when it's really hot and humid outside.

Edited by Lateralus

Peace be upon those who are guided on the right path. Please keep your thoughts to yourself, because no decent western person would comment on someones freedom of relegion. If you want to learn, then may Allah open up the doors of guidence for you, but the path you are taking does not seem that you want to learn something.

I do live in the west, Canada to be precise, have been living for the last 29 years and covering up for the last 16 years, yes veil (or full fase mask) and everything that goes with it, so that I can protect the beauty that my Lord has blessed me with, from the admiring glances of weirdos.

Peace be upon those who are guided on the right path.  Please keep your thoughts to yourself, because no decent western person would  comment on someones freedom of relegion.  If you want to learn, then may Allah open up the doors of guidence for you, but the path you are taking does not seem that you want to learn something.

I do live in the west, Canada to be precise, have been living for the last 29 years and covering up for the last 16 years, yes veil (or full fase mask) and everything that goes with it, so that I can protect the beauty that my Lord has blessed me with, from the admiring glances of weirdos.

Asalamualaikum wa rahmatullah wa baraketuh,

It is the same with me athough I was brought up in western kind of way and I lived quite a long time as other girls/ women inthe west and now i am fully covered cause I want to please my creator and neither my husband nor other sisters forced me to do so. Believe it or not - If you see a fully covered muslim woman especially in the West what you see is a very strong woman who does not allow her faith to be corrupted. BTW a Hijaab has not the sense to make women look more beautiful ! I can understand that it is difficult for non- muslims to get used to these women but I think it has more a psychological reason , you are used to read the reaction and thinking of a person from the mimic of her face that is impossible with the niqabies. And for the other reason mentioned as to why men do not have to cover their face: woman are more beautyful and there is an Islamic dresscode also for men they are ordered to hide certain parts of their body too. Wether they decide to do so or not is up to them, they themselves have to bear the consequences of their decision.

Wa alaikum asalam

It is likely I will be banned a third time by my friend Zeinab because of the rather tight rules here. I find somethings in Islam, or the Islamic world, offensive to certain degrees to. In this case specifically perhaps that's the wrong word, and I should say dislike.

I do think the full face veils are awful and repressive. I'm sorry that offends you. I'm sure many Western Islamic women would agree with me though.

Salaam

Awfully repressive?

I was going to say this is the typical 'western' attitude but Im glad to say not all hold your kind of attitude.

Im afraid if you really dont like Islam very much then this forum isnt really for you. Perhaps you should find another forum where you can vent to your hearts content?

Is that meant to be funny?

I think so.

I laughed, anyway :D

Well to me it is very offensive. And I am fully aware of what you and those like you believe, but you would be hard pressed to find a Muslim woman in the West who does not wear it out of choice. Putting that aside, this is how the wives of our Prophet (sall-Allaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and other Muslim women would dress, so I see your post as nothing except a mocking of Islaam. And the freedom you speak of is more in the form of men wanting to be free to look at women, but what about the women's right to have the freedom to cover herself in order to prevent the ogled monsters looking at them?!

It's an extreme example, and probably one you're all sick of reading, but did the girls who were burned to death in Saudi Arabia, because religious police wouldn't let them leave the building without proper attire, more concerned about the freedom to cover themselves, or the freedom to live? Point being that sometimes it's not a good idea for men to be the arbiters of women's 'rights'. Hmm, did I say 'sometimes'..?

Peace be upon those who are guided on the right path.  Please keep your thoughts to yourself, because no decent western person would  comment on someones freedom of relegion.  If you want to learn, then may Allah open up the doors of guidence for you, but the path you are taking does not seem that you want to learn something.

How do you bear the heat in summer?

And for the other reason mentioned as to why men do not have to cover their face: woman are more beautyful and there is an Islamic dresscode also for men they are ordered to hide certain parts of their body too. Wether they decide to do so or not is up to them, they themselves have to bear the consequences of their decision.

Wa alaikum asalam

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, though. Surely men appear beautiful to women, and also arouse unhealthy feelings, or is it that men are not regarded as the chattels of their partners, to be enjoyed (admired visually in this case) only by them?

I think so.

I laughed, anyway :D

It's ok, you can laugh if you want, not that my question was addressed to you, unless of course you are actually Logic Bomb with a different username!

It's an extreme example, and probably one you're all sick of reading, but did the girls who were burned to death in Saudi Arabia, because religious police wouldn't let them leave the building without proper attire, more concerned about the freedom to cover themselves, or the freedom to live? Point being that sometimes it's not a good idea for men to be the arbiters of women's 'rights'. Hmm, did I say 'sometimes'..?

Most Muslim women in the West do not even wear the hijaab let alone the face veil, in fact less and less are, and the wearing of the face veil is not something which is usually impossed on any woman, be they a mother, a daughter, a sister or a wife, it is usually something that the woman herself decides to wear, and she does so to please her Creator, and I guess that she also does so in order to hide from people like you who just want to stare at her.

You don't like hijab then that's ok but I don't think you have the right to ever refer that Islam locks women under rags :D what do you know what a Muslim women feels when wearing her jihab. Are you one by any chance?

What is more funny is that a non Muslim man presumes and seems to know what in the world a Muslim women feels and wants.

No Logicbomb we love our hijab, it makes us feel safe and protected. Personally, there is no more than an insult or the most vile feeling than when a man that is not my husband looks at me in a wrong way.

Now, Western women because of many reasons one of them that wrong belief that if a man doesn't look at me and appreciates my body then I'm ugly. What a dumb thought.

Second, why would men wear hijab? :D It is not a scarf on the head it is the humbling and hiding of the beauty of women so that no wrong doing happens if a man noticed her. Wrong doing here can mean a simple look also. It preserves society, evils of desires, and protects women. While a man's hair doesn’t exactly causes the same effect as a women's hair for example.

Don't presume on our account that is highly insulting.

Finally, Logicbomb you are very close to breaking the rules again. I suggest you improve the way you are addressing this issue.

It's ok, you can laugh if you want, not that my question was addressed to you, unless of course you are actually Logic Bomb with a different username!

But laughing at your own jokes is so tacky...

Eh! What's going on here? Please be civil to each other and besides you are going off topic.

:D

Does Zaki Badawi have the authority to say such a thing? I know he is the dean of a muslim college.

Then I guess you are a tacky person then!

I am not Logicbomb, and it follows that you are making an accusation without grounds, which is surely in conflict with the rules of this forum. Not being clever there, just stating a fact. I approve of some of the Terms of Use I signed up for and find others questionable, but I am happy to observe them all to the best of my capability.

As to what Muslim women want, not all Muslim women want the hijab, let alone the niqab. Zeinab, you might say that these are not 'proper' Muslims, but then you're doing the judging. If you think that being 'looked at in the wrong way' is the greatest insult, then you have been blessed with a quiet life. You may have seen the episode of 'Not The Nine O'Clock News' where 'looking at me in a funny way' is one of the less than convincing charges used as a pretext by Gryff Rhys Jones' racist police constable for arresting a black character. I thought he was being a bit precious, too.

I ask again, and not out of a desire to embarrass, do men, Muslim or otherwise, not arouse feelings of desire in women, Muslim or otherwise? Why the double standard?

And I've never seen the big deal about hair, which ever gender. I'm more of an eye man (Iraqi women seem to have the loveliest :D ).

You don't like hijab then that's ok but I don't think you have the right to ever refer that Islam locks women under rags :D what do you know what a Muslim women feels when wearing her jihab. Are you one by any chance?

Nobody listens to me. I think the hijab is fine, and quite contrary to its purpose I find the coloured ones are quite attractive. Still don't like the whole covering arms and legs thing.

I've been told that the Niqaab isn't even of Islamic origin. Wasn't it worn by you know whose wives because they were in a delicate position and needed that privacy to function. I will tell you as a Western man that the full face veil is one of the principle things to damage the image of Islam in the West in our age. It has great association (and in itself I think is) with the repression of women in Islamic states.

"What is more funny is that a non Muslim man presumes and seems to know what in the world a Muslim women feels and wants."

I think women are equal beings to men and shouldn't feel it is their duty to mask themselves from men. That concept is outdated in our day and age, and in this country.

"No Logicbomb we love our hijab, it makes us feel safe and protected. Personally, there is no more than an insult or the most vile feeling than when a man that is not my husband looks at me in a wrong way."I don't understand why? You are not your husbands to own. I assure you not all men are thinking specifically of sex all the time, just as nude art is not always related to sex. In some respects, looking at beautiful women is like looking at a beautiful landscape.

"Now, Western women because of many reasons one of them that wrong belief that if a man doesn't look at me and appreciates my body then I'm ugly. What a dumb thought."

Yes that is silly. I agree there is much corruption and excess in Western women. I am not a fan of this, nobody likes sluts here.

"Wrong doing here can mean a simple look also. It preserves society, evils of desires, and protects women."

Islam is no fun :D

"Finally, Logicbomb you are very close to breaking the rules again. I suggest you improve the way you are addressing this issue."

I am trying hard not to be offensive!

Regards!

There was my opinion entwined in there somewhere though. It's inescapable that most atheists see the full head dress as cultural repression of female beauty and freedom.

In the matter of freedom. I will unashamedly say women are beautiful creatures - I don't like to see them locked away under rags. I have looked at the Islamic teachings briefly, is there a reason why anyone would wear the full face masks, if the Hijabs are fine for most others?

An abaya & viel is repressive?? But according to muslims when r forced to show thier skin to b noticed... that's repressive.

Salaam

Awfully repressive?

I was going to say this is the typical 'western' attitude but Im glad to say not all hold your kind of attitude.

Im afraid if you really dont like Islam very much then this forum isnt really for you.  Perhaps you should find another forum where you can vent to your hearts content?

Salaam

Men are meant to dress modestly and lower their gaze. In fact in many countries they do cover themselves up fully.

Im lucky in the sense is that Ive encountered non religious people who nevertheless dont hold any judgemental opinions and are quite willing to accept what people wear without holding attitudes like this

think women are equal beings to men and shouldn't feel it is their duty to mask themselves from men. That concept is outdated in our day and age, and in this country.

Outdated or not, if they want wear it, its not your concern

I dont think this debate is really going anywhere.

Edited by PTJ_MrQ