Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Al Farooq

Zaki Badawi Urge Women To Take Off The Hijab

As a non-Muslim, white, native US male, I always regard the women I see in hijab with admiration and respect. I honestly don't understand the flap over this. These women are living according to their truth and their faith, often in the face of outward hostility. That speaks to me of strength, not weakness and oppression.

This boils down to a simple matter of religous freedom, and a simple matter of giving the respect to others that you would expect from them.

Peace to all,

What a refreshing post :D

Wish more of you was like this Insha'Allah

PropellerAds

"As for the 'treatment of women', there are a range of misdemeanours that are associated with Islam. I believe I know better, but the rumours persist. Female circumcision, honour killings, forced marriages, polygyny, rape as a punishment in some backward Pakistani villages, the aforementioned girls who burned to death. "

Dear Joker,

Not all of these are Islamic alot is culture doing what their fathers did etc... Or lack of Islamic knowledge (yea not all muslims know their religion) But some things you mentioned like poligamy is Islamic and though you might see it unfair to us the muslim women, there is alot of wisdom behind this just open your heart and ask us, There's alot of strong muslim women out here that stand up for womens rights but when u look at the beauty of God's wisdom you come to the understanding of things.

Please just open your heart and mind...Ameen

Edited by TearsOfMaHeart

Salaam

This should be helpful

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=16912"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=16912[/url]

Well, it helped me with that word for 'Muslim woman' ('Muslimah', thanks for answering my question, guys :D)

I don't think it covered the specific reason why marrying an unbeliever was a one-way process, man to woman, so it still looks like chauvinism to me...

Well, it helped me with that word for 'Muslim woman' ('Muslimah', thanks for answering my question, guys :D)

I don't think it covered the specific reason why marrying an unbeliever was a one-way process, man to woman, so it still looks like chauvinism to me...

Joker and Lateralus, go here:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=16100"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=16100[/url]

Can people please stay on topic from now on!!! Continue these discussions in the appropriate thread.

Edited by jk_89

Dear Joker,

Not all of these are Islamic alot is culture doing what their fathers did etc... Or lack of Islamic knowledge (yea not all muslims know their religion)  But some things you mentioned like poligamy is Islamic and though you might see it unfair to us the muslim women, there is alot of wisdom behind this just open your heart and ask us, There's alot of strong muslim women out here that stand up for womens rights but when u look at the beauty of God's wisdom you come to the understanding of things.

Please just open your heart and mind...Ameen

I listened to a programme on Radio 4 about polygyny and Islam, and it depended on whether the husband could support more than one wife, and if the first wife was happy with the arrangement. If they're good to go, fine.

I know a lot of the practises that are confused with Islamic teaching are throwbacks to local culture. The thing that concerns me most is that even some imams might have peculiar notions that jar with the more widely recognised precepts of Islam.

Joker and Lateralus, go here:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=16100"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=16100[/url]

Can people please stay on topic from now on!!! Continue these discussions in the appropriate thread.

Thanks for your wise moderation. I think the issue is whether Muslimah are equal to their male counterparts, so it's all relevant.

Interestingly, while Googling for the male equivalent of 'muslimah', I found this thread, which is also relevant...

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicboutique(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=360&get=last"]Woman fights for equality in Morgantown Masjid[/url]

Peace,

I'm no Mod, but this topic is about women removing hijab to 'blend in' and avoid being attacked.

The issue of women's rights in Islam has been discussed so many times. If you care to browse the forum, you will find a lot of information to clear up your misconceptions. Here's a start:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=367&hl="]The Muslim Woman - Her Status in the Ummah[/url]

Don't expect us to do all the work for you!

Edited by jk_89

Ah, you're bothered enough to accuse me of racism, but not bothered enough to back up your accusation?

Thanks for your participation...

I didn't accuse you in particular of racism. White revert sisters have mentioned how they receive racist remarks after wearing the hijab.

It's one thing to type up the explaination and another thing if you would be capable of understanding it. It's not just with hijab, or religious dress, but with other issues as well such as arguments over immigration, "treason", loyalty etc. There are white people who hate the monarchy and government, and in NI there are those who have committed treason. But as most Muslims are non-white, questions of asylum seekers, immigrants, treason, loyalty etc. come up, even though it appears London bombing suspects were raised in the UK.

Peace to all,

I am one of those that you mentioned a white revert sister that always hated the British goverment and all other goverments across the world, i can't find one whether muslim or non muslim that is any good. As for racist remarks yes i get those too it dosent matter what colour you are it's about the clothe i wear on my head.

But with Islam everything has a reason and a purpose and if you truely want to learn about Islam read read read don't look at the muslims to find out Islam, seek the knowledge yourself.

As for the 'treatment of women', there are a range of misdemeanours that are associated with Islam. I believe I know better, but the rumours persist. Female circumcision, honour killings, forced marriages, polygyny, rape as a punishment in some backward Pakistani villages, the aforementioned girls who burned to death. That last one kind of was down to a rather extreme application of Islamic law, but there are a lot of misconceptions.

1) female circumcision.. as far I know never witnessed it. It's done in Africa thougn but all all religions.. muslims, christians & jews... it's culture.

2) honour killings - again not part of Islam. Its CULTURE.

3) forced marraiges... again culture, happens but not common. they happen all over south asia - more hindus than muslims there. 85 % hindus... & it happens among followers of all religions in this part of the world. hopefully u r confusing arranged with forced.

4) polygany - i think some ppl have given u links for that

5) rape as a punishment - again nothing to do with Islam.

6) girls who burned - this happens in India 99% among hindus, mostly related to dowry.

All the examples you gave were culture related than Islam & it happens among followeres of all religions living in those parts of the world. its like saying since Gun related voilence is high In America & these criminals r Christians ... it must part of Christianity :D

honestly, if you knew of a Muslim woman who suffered abuse, possibly even physical, at the hands of her husband, father or family, would you admit that such thngs happen?

no community or faith is not safe from ppl who do such insane things...

The objective is conversion.  So a Muslim man will seduce a non-Muslim woman only to prosetylize. 

A woman should only accept Islam for Allah not for her lover. And it's wrong for any muslim man to flirt, have an affair etc with anyone "muslim women or non-muslim women."

Peace,

I'm no Mod, but this topic is about women removing hijab to 'blend in' and avoid being attacked.

The issue of women's rights in Islam has been discussed so many times. If you care to browse the forum, you will find a lot of information to clear up your misconceptions. Here's a start:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=367&hl="]The Muslim Woman - Her Status in the Ummah[/url]

Don't expect us to do all the work for you!

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated :D

However, a discussion about women removing the hijab to avoid abuse, physical or otherwise, can't avoid the fact that men don't have the same problem. You see, the irony is that Muslimahs recieve that abuse from non-Muslims because they are perceived as oppressed by dominant males, and outsiders blame them for accepting such 'treatment' in a society where they don't have to. So theoretically, it's even worse for white converts, because they choose to give up their freer lifestyle. I would like to think that Muslimahs don't feel oppressed, but I can't assume that everyone is happy with their lot. And we come back to those who don't choose to wear the hijab, whatever their reson. Is their decision respected, or are they reviled as 'not true Muslims'? That has a bearing on the issue, especially for women who are seriously considering their own choices.

Hey, Radio 4 are doing a thing about 'Not The Nine O'Clock News' now (The Re-union). That racist policeman sketch night be on it...

I didn't accuse you in particular of racism.

Well, that's alright, then.

White revert sisters have mentioned how they receive racist remarks after wearing the hijab.

Of course. One hears of 'self-hating Jews', so white converts to Islam must get the same kind of stuff from their old communities.

It's one thing to type up the explaination and another thing if you would be capable of understanding it.  It's not just with hijab, or religious dress, but with other issues as well such as arguments over immigration, "treason", loyalty etc.  There are white people who hate the monarchy and government, and in NI there are those who have committed treason.  But as most Muslims are non-white, questions of asylum seekers, immigrants, treason, loyalty etc. come up, even though it appears London bombing suspects were raised in the UK.

Understanding is required on both sides, but I don't believe in the concept of treason now, even in communities which haven't been artificially sundered, as Ireland was. Treason is no longer a capital offence, and that's going the right way, IMO.

Peace to all,

I am one of those that you mentioned a white revert sister that always hated the British goverment and all other goverments across the world, i can't find one whether muslim or non muslim that is any good. As for racist remarks yes i get those too it dosent matter what colour you are it's about the clothe i wear on my head.

But with Islam everything has a reason and a purpose and if you truely want to learn about Islam read read read don't look at the muslims to find out Islam, seek the knowledge yourself.

I agree with you about governments.

As for questing for knowledge, as I said, it's not a priority for me, but my wife became a Jehovah's Witness for a while, and they were nice guys, but the belief thing is a barrier for me. I don't buy the elemental argument of 'This couldn't happen by accident'.

They're doing the sketch!!!!

And I used part of the clip to (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.google(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]Google[/url] for the transcript, albeit from a German website:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.wepsite.de/constable_savage.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.wepsite.de/constable_savage.htm[/url]

OK, teensy bit off-topic, but it relates to prejudice :D

1) female circumcision.. as far I know never witnessed it. It's done in Africa thougn but all all religions.. muslims, christians & jews... it's culture.

2) honour killings - again not part of Islam. Its CULTURE.

3) forced marraiges... again culture, happens but not common. they happen all over south asia - more hindus than muslims there. 85 % hindus... & it happens among followers of all religions in this part of the world.  hopefully u r confusing arranged with forced.

4) polygany - i think some ppl have given u links for that

5) rape as a punishment - again nothing to do with Islam.

6) girls who burned - this happens in India 99% among hindus, mostly related to dowry.

All the examples you gave were culture related than Islam & it happens among followeres of all religions living in those parts of the world. its like saying since Gun related voilence is high In America & these criminals r Christians ... it must part of Christianity :D

As I said, these things are associated with Islam. As with terrorism, I'm not saying that Muslims should go around decrying such behaviour on demand, but perhaps one of these days, maybe as part of an inter-faith conference, an attempt should be made to humanely terminate this straw man.

The burning girls had nothing to do with dowry, though.

peace,

Joker, obviously the more of Islam you practice, the better! The hijab is fard (obligatory) for Muslim women. I am one of those! And I am damn proud of it too! No one forced me, no one pressured me, I chose it myself. As with anything to do with religion, what is foremost is that you have sincerity in your heart.

Those Muslimahs that chose not to wear hijab - it depends on their intention. If they think that they don't need to, or they don't care, and they are picking and choosing what they want from Islam, then there is NO WAY I can respect that. This applies to any other aspect of Islam - if they are knowingly rejecting something because of their own whims and desires. This shows that what is in their hearts is not true sincerity.

I know there are sisters who want to wear Hijab, really wish that they could, but don't maybe because they never wore it before, or there is pressure from their family, whatever, that is a different case.

But for those women who say 'I'm not going to wear hijab simply because I don't want to' I can never respect their attitude.

I hope that helps somewhat.

EDIT: forgot to add - and only Allah can judge what is in our hearts. :D

Edited by jk_89