Islamic Forum
c-kow

A Message To Non-muslims

I searched long and hard for this board so that I could find a community of individuals who adhere to the Islamic creed so that I could further my own understanding of the religion. Also, in compliance with the general tone of message boards, I was interested in finding Muslim responses to questions regarding society, religion, and politics. I suspect that if you are here, and you are here for tolerable reasons, then you are much like me. Let me pass on some advice so that you can avoid mistakes that myself and others make.

1. This is their house. If you wish to know more about Islam, ask. If you are trying to prove the religion wrong, then you are in the wrong place. Be mindful of the questions that you ask. Are they respectful? Are the on the offensive? Read them as if they are countering something you believe, and err on the side of caution. Always remember that they answer your questions out of their courtesy, and that they are not obligated to put up with disrespect in a place of their own.

2. Islam is the most slandered religion in the world right now From religious pulpit to political podium Islam is constantly lambasted and attacked. There are several people who wish to divide the Islamic community, or discredit it, or using several other methods represent Islam in a way that is false and unfair. Make sure that when you ask questions, you are careful to avoid sounding like the detractors of Islam. Do not point out divisions in the community, or attempt to divide it further. Do not accuse them of the oppression of women, rather ask how the Koran requests women are treated. Understand the difference between culture and religion, as you may be surprised how many of the things Westerners object to today is due to cultural laws rather than religious ones, and how regarding many different civil rights, Islam was hundreds of years ahead of Christians and Jews at the time of its conception. People here are used to being attacked, and if you sound harsh or critical, it is likely that this will impede your capacity to learn what you want from this site, so be conscious when posting things that are reflective of attacks on Islam.

3. Islam is a lifestyle, not a hobby A friend of mine teased me last night for being agnostic, and it was easy for me to take seeing as how this is a stance I use to answer one question that doesn't encompass a great deal of my life. However, Islam is a lifestyle, to be taken seriously in everything that you do, not just in abstract discussions of religion. Therefore, keep this in mind when you try to learn specific facts about Islam. Pastafarianism may seem hilarious to someone who doesn't think religion is important, but if your life is guided by religion then it may seem irreverent, insulting, and immature. Keep things like this in mind when you are discussing with people the things that are most important to them. A good rule of thumb is if you don't know if it is going to be well received, ask a moderator.

4 Expect differences I think that everyone who comes here will be offended at least once by something they read from a distinctly different culture. Questioning the holocaust is an excellent example of this, as it is something that Westerners are not accustomed to doing. Keep an open mind while browsing, listen rather than responding immediately, and try to understand rather than to disagree. Things are different here, and some of the things we are going to object to. If we face this with an open mind ready to learn and understand, rather than with instant revulsion, we can be sure that we will get along properly.

5 Celebrate the Diversity Islam has brought us Algebra, several contributions to astronomy, botany, hospitals among other medical advances, art, rich music, and cultural sophistications that can be found nowhere else in the world. Islam freed slaves over a thousand years before Europe and America decided it was wrong. They also translated and pondered our Greek philosophers while the whole Western world decided to be ignorant for several hundred years. Islam is a wonderful religion, the Middle East is a center of amazing cultures, and I encourage you to recognize, enjoy, and understand the contributions and diversity they bring to our world. Above all, let us attempt to understand each other, for a better world

-seacow

PropellerAds

Peace Seacow!

I know this is a message to non-Muslims, but I just wanted to thank you sincerely for this post.

I truly appreciate it and hope that others can try to see things from your perspective. If more people thought like you, this world would be a better place.

Fair enough. I try my best to be respectful in all of these things, I am not here as a troll to slander Islam. But there are certain misconceptions that I cannot allow to fester. We are here to learn about Islam, but also to for the wider purpose of bridging the gap between muslims and non-muslims, right? This includes adressing issues that stand in the way of this. I am greatful when misconceptions about Islam I had are cleared up; God knows it has happened more than once. But that goes both ways. You can be respectful and still not back down. i agree with you more when it comes to challenging their religion. Politics, however, can be even more devisive.

Peace

Tareema, I'm not sure what your intentions are, however, your FIRST post on this forum is downright disrespectful.

brother seacow,

Thank you for your opinion above. Islam and Muslims are being insulted, framed and slandered by the enemies of Islam. Non-Muslims should contact any Islamic (not secular) organizations if they really want to know Islam. To know Islam is to study Islam. You'll love Islam when you know Islam.

Peace Seacow!

I know this is a message to non-Muslims, but I just wanted to thank you sincerely for this post.

I truly appreciate it and hope that others can try to see things from your perspective. If more people thought like you, this world would be a better place.

Thank you.

I am convinced that this world is already very near to the better place you are thinking of. A Christian scholar once told me he would rather a Muslim be president than a secularist, because he recognizes and accepts Muslim values. I know several soldiers who after coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan will defend the honor and praise the resolve of the people they met there. And I know many individuals who are not so self-righteous as to believe that the world can only operate from their point of view.

The only thing missing is communication.

Fair enough. I try my best to be respectful in all of these things, I am not here as a troll to slander Islam. But there are certain misconceptions that I cannot allow to fester. We are here to learn about Islam, but also to for the wider purpose of bridging the gap between muslims and non-muslims, right? This includes adressing issues that stand in the way of this. I am greatful when misconceptions about Islam I had are cleared up; God knows it has happened more than once. But that goes both ways. You can be respectful and still not back down. i agree with you more when it comes to challenging their religion. Politics, however, can be even more devisive.

You are a very good example of someone who can respectfully disagree, in my opinion, and not offend or insult just to prove a point. I would gladly have a cup of tea or coffee with you, and I think you honor Christianity with your prudence and discretion.

brother seacow,

Thank you for your opinion above. Islam and Muslims are being insulted, framed and slandered by the enemies of Islam. Non-Muslims should contact any Islamic (not secular) organizations if they really want to know Islam. To know Islam is to study Islam. You'll love Islam when you know Islam.

I agree, and there are things Islamic institutions could do better to reach out to their communities. At my campus we had "Islamo-fascism awareness week" and the local Masjid didn't even know it occurred. Ironically, no Muslims were consulted to speak about the issue, and no Muslim noticed the controversy as they were focusing on studies.

What a wonderful post, thank you for taking the time to write it. :sl: I'm most often frustrated to no end that westerners keep telling us what is wrong and what is right based on their experiences, culture and background without realizing that we Muslims also have our very own opinions founded on an entirely different upbringing. For example, I was raised in Kenya, a Christian country. They were pretty conservative, which was really good for us Muslims living there. When I moved to the U.S, I was completely shocked and dismayed by some of the things I realized were considered part of the norm here. Since then, I've come to realize that they do these things not because they lack discipline and self-control, but because they believe they're exercising freedom. And though my opinion hasn't changed, I do understand that they see things differently than I do and I keep that in mind whenever I speak to any of them. I only wish that the same courtesy could be shown toward Islam.

Just my thoughts.

Salam.

Peace Seacow!

:sl: and peace to all,

I second what my sister wrote above. Throwing things around will not get anyone anywhere. The only way to have knowledge is to seek knowledge, communication is the key but also having an open mind is too.

This post is a refreshing change alhamdulilah :sl:

Thanks seacow for taking the time to write this beneficial guide to our dear non-Muslim members. Your topic is an example of the friendly atmosphere we always try to maintain in this forum. Understanding the other and exchanging mutual respect is key to the peaceful world we all look for. With your help, together we can make a difference.

AA seacow,

You and I are cut from the same cloth my friend...couldn't have expressed it at any better myself!

Salaam

Thank you seacow, thank you very much. Your post is very sincere - mutual respect and understanding meet the standards of this forum and of humanity.

AA seacow,

You and I are cut from the same cloth my friend...couldn't have expressed it at any better myself!

after having read some of your posts, I realize what high praise this is. Thank you.

also thanks for being patient with me because I am still learning (in instances such as my music thread)

What a wonderful post, thank you for taking the time to write it. :sl: I'm most often frustrated to no end that westerners keep telling us what is wrong and what is right based on their experiences, culture and background without realizing that we Muslims also have our very own opinions founded on an entirely different upbringing.

You're right.... your right. I was thinking about this the other day. I came to this forum to discover muslim point of view, but I wound up spending more time defending my own points of view on the political front. Just the other day I realized that I may have sounded condescending when I did so. I'm sorry if anyone ever felt that way about my posts.

cooooool post. seacow....

I appreciate ur work.

May Allah show you the right path and help you in ur life.

Salaam Walaikum Seacow

I am very please with what I have read.

May you recieve a reward for each letter you have written.

Walaikum Salaam

Thank you for your well thought out articulate post.

Have you watched the documentary 'Islam what the west should know?'

I found the most disturbing thing about it, was the confession of a former radical Muslim, who informs us that all those that follow Islam must be prepared to kill those that refuse. Is this a religion or a political system? Why would harm be wished on anyone that does not want to follow your own choice?

I was raised as a Roman Catholic and can see the error of my churches ways, so with that in mind, why can Mohamed not be criticised? Is he infallible? As a human he must have been subject to the same frailties that we are. Any organisation that views one of their own as beyond reproach is doomed to failure.

So with respect, I question Mohammed as right in all things. I see Islam as a simplified version of Christianity with one mans own radical views superimposed. How many of you will swear on your religion that you would not harm a non believer, would you swear that on your holy book?

I have seen evidence of Islam as a religion/political organisation of hate, yet am still prepared to debate this matter with you. Groups of young Asian teens have chanted racist names at me, as a white Englishman. Is this acceptable behaviour? If they attend the Masjid is that all that matters?

So with respect, I question Mohammed as right in all things. I see Islam as a simplified version of Christianity with one mans own radical views superimposed.

It's a pity you consider Islam to be radical, but I'm sure that "radical" is a word that can be thrown around every which way.

We wouldn't swear on our religion, because Muslims swear on none but Allah. But that's beside the point, I'm sure.

However, it depends on what context we would harm a non-Muslim. For example, I wouldn't go next door, kick my neighbor's door in and murder his entire family. Why? Because I would be committing murder, plus the prophet instructed us to treat our neighbors well, be they Muslim or otherwise.

You say you've seen evidence of Islam being hateful, and then you go on to give examples of Muslims being hateful. Islam is not Muslims, nor are Muslims robots programmed to follow Islam and nothing else.

Racism is a sickness that does not exist within Islam and I dare anyone to claim otherwise. The Qur'an says that mankind was created into different races so that we "may know one another". Prophet Muhammad during his last sermon said, "All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action."

You can accuse Islam of anything else, but the accusation that it promotes racism is the most unfounded of all.

If you have specific questions about Islam and would like to either confirm your suspicions or clear the air regarding them, then again I say you're welcome to ask. I hope you will keep your mind open and remember that your opinions and personal values aren't necessarily reciprocated.

Salam.

However, it depends on what context we would harm a non-Muslim. For example, I wouldn't go next door, kick my neighbor's door in and murder his entire family. Why? Because I would be committing murder, plus the prophet instructed us to treat our neighbors well, be they Muslim or otherwise.

A simple question......

Is it true that 'non believers' are to be killed if they do not accept Allah as God?

A simple question......

Is it true that 'non believers' are to be killed if they do not accept Allah as God?

"Non believers" is too broad a category to give you a single answer. For example, allies of Islam or those with whom Muslims have treaties include non-Muslims (prophet Muhammad said that the one who kills a non-Muslim with whom there is a treaty will never smell Paradise). But on the other hand, enemies of Islam can also be from among them.

Secondly, there is no compulsion in religion. A non-Muslim will not necessarily be killed because he does not accept Islam. He will, however, be killed if he declares himself an enemy of Islam, if he is oppressive/spreads mischief in the land, or stands against the aims and objectives of Islam.

Let me add that the decisions of war rest with the leaders of the Muslims and such decisions usually require official rulings.

Salam.

Secondly, there is no compulsion in religion. A non-Muslim will not necessarily be killed because he does not accept Islam. He will, however, be killed if he declares himself an enemy of Islam, if he is oppressive/spreads mischief in the land, or stands against the aims and objectives of Islam.

I do not follow Islam, am I an 'enemy' of Islam?

You advocate murder yet profess to be a man of religion. This must make surely your 'god' a false 'god.' - No creator would want his creation destroyed over 'mischief' - it appears my worries are well founded.

Assalamualaikum

A person who does not follow Islam is a non muslim, not necessarily an enemy of Islam. Tell me who would you consider an enemy of yours? I guess it is someone who hates you, wants you distroyed, etc. The same applies to enemies of Islam. Those who hate Islam and want it destroyed etc.

Second point no one is advocating or saying that someone should harm the enemies of Islam. We live abide by the laws of the land and are in general peace loving people even to our enemies. Please don't get confused between today's society and society of the past were there were legitimate muslim rulers and lands were the rule of God was enforced. So the practices then may not apply now, when we are living in secular socieities.

Third point spreading mischief means real mischief not stealing or toy etc. Tell me would you consider treason as spreading mischief, and is not treason one of the worst crimes because were as killing you may kill one or two, with treason is not a whole societies life put at risk with potential for great evil.

From you post especially you last post you make it clear that you aleady have "founded" believes about Islam and you are now just looking to make points to confirm your founded beliefes, hence the term well founded. I am afraid that I feel that you have not come to increase your knowledge or find the truth but you already feel you have the truth and now you want to convince yourself and others that you are right.

And Allah knows best.

Wassalam

From you post especially you last post you make it clear that you aleady have "founded" believes about Islam and you are now just looking to make points to confirm your founded beliefes, hence the term well founded. I am afraid that I feel that you have not come to increase your knowledge or find the truth but you already feel you have the truth and now you want to convince yourself and others that you are right.

This is simply not the case, I ask the question are non believers to be killed? I ask this to clarify a point made to me. So again, a yes or no answer, are non those that refuse to believe to be killed?

Salam

Sometimes question is answered better by another question. So answer this are muslims to be killed? yes or no

Wassalam

Salam

Sometimes question is answered better by another question. So answer this are muslims to be killed? yes or no

Wassalam

Not according to Christian doctrines, now you answer my question, one word answer please, according to your teachings, are non believers to be killed?