Islamic Forum
c-kow

A Message To Non-muslims

I would like to add that we as Muslims wear the Hijab, first and foremost, because Allah told us to. It helps when something makes sense, since it appeases our own human desire to understand everything, but the fact that it is a commandment from Allah is the most important reason to us as Muslims.

i see

and at what age is a muslima if that is the correct term required to cover

is there a specific age or is it dependent on personal experience such as the first menses or the point in a muslimas life when she recognizes that she is no longer a little girl whether or not she has had her first menses

i ask because i see many muslim girls who are not covered but they appear to be quite young

i see

and at what age is a muslima if that is the correct term required to cover

is there a specific age or is it dependent on personal experience such as the first menses or the point in a muslimas life when she recognizes that she is no longer a little girl whether or not she has had her first menses

i ask because i see many muslim girls who are not covered but they appear to be quite young

The age at which all Muslims are required to be officially practicing Islam is when the body starts undergoing certain changes during puberty or when they reach the age of 15, whichever comes first (for example, some girls don't begin their menstrual cycle until after the age of 15 but if they do get their menses before then, they are considered old enough to be held accountable for their actions henceforth).

Salam.

Islam is the most misunderstood religion of this world, and the reason is very simple the tree that bears more fruits encounters more stones (kids used to throw stones to get some hanging fruits).

Islam is a monotheistic religion and Monotheism means accepting the One-ness and accepting the One Supreme being as your saviour.

The thing is if the other "people" of the book have abrogated the upholding of God's commands, why Islam is being blamed for being honest and open about everything.

Islam is the most misunderstood religion of this world, and the reason is very simple the tree that bears more fruits encounters more stones (kids used to throw stones to get some hanging fruits).

Islam is a monotheistic religion and Monotheism means accepting the One-ness and accepting the One Supreme being as your saviour.

The thing is if the other "people" of the book have abrogated the upholding of God's commands, why Islam is being blamed for being honest and open about everything.

:sl: and Greetings to the Non-Muslims here,

Just want to say excellent replies Sister Redeem masha'Allah, Jazaki Allahu khairun!

I just want to mention from another point as a Muslimah who covers and living in the west I feel oppressed by many things here. I am forced to observe naked women on billboards, buses, shop windows, TV, newspapers and magazines, these images are everywhere I look and while I can limit some things I look at , I cannot do it with everything. (And I'm a woman!!!, So how do men feel when they see such things?!)

I'm always covering my childrens eyes when I walk into our local supermarket because there on front pages right in the entrance is newspapers with naked women! Don't you think that is bad for society?

Islam protects us from such things. I havent always been a Muslimah so I have been on both sides of the coin and Islam brings dignity to women and now I get more respect from people than I ever did as a non muslim.

This has also been mentioned but I just want to say that I feel sorry for western women because they are expected to go out to work, take care of the kids and home and husband. They are expected to pay and provide for the family, pay the mortage or rent and bills. Women are really losing their identity here and they are getting the raw deal out of it.

In Islam we have our roles, the man has to provide for the family and pay the rent , bills etc.. that is his job. And providing that the woman takes care of the children she can go out to work if she is not negleting her family and that it is according to Islamic standards and whatever money she earns is all her own to keep, she does not have to help in providing.

Also I just want to say that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is our example and we should try to follow his way of life as much as we can, he never expected his wives to do everything for him (cooking, cleaning, washing clothes etc..) he used to do these things himself or help them with their chores.

So you see Women in Islam have the best deal.

I can go on and on really about how much better it is for a woman in Islam than in the western lifestyle.

If you want to know what life is like for a Muslimah then ask a Muslimah.

Thank you.

Edited by Tamarbutah

I can't believe what I've just seen next to a thread on tolerance. A boycott israel banner! Are you mad?! How could you be so hypocritical? You have completely undermined any sensible argument or statement you may make. I am sure that as an atheist I may not be the best informed individual posting in this forum but I may very well be the most objective. I find it remarkable, and rather worrying, that anyone could allow this faux pas to go uncorrected. I think is just illustrates the dual standards practiced in religion – you mustn’t criticise my religion but I can advocate the eschewing of an entire race.

For a religion whose members constantly claim to be persecuted it is astonishingly imprudent to publicly condemn others out of hatred.

I really do think that you need to take a close look at yourselves before calling others bigots.

I can't believe what I've just seen next to a thread on tolerance. A boycott israel banner! Are you mad?! How could you be so hypocritical? You have completely undermined any sensible argument or statement you may make. I am sure that as an atheist I may not be the best informed individual posting in this forum but I may very well be the most objective. I find it remarkable, and rather worrying, that anyone could allow this faux pas to go uncorrected. I think is just illustrates the dual standards practiced in religion – you mustn’t criticise my religion but I can advocate the eschewing of an entire race.

For a religion whose members constantly claim to be persecuted it is astonishingly imprudent to publicly condemn others out of hatred.

I really do think that you need to take a close look at yourselves before calling others bigots.

If you believe that boycotting israeli goods is a bad reaction to the number of things that israel has done to the people residing in Gaza, you are free to show us the logic behind such an opinion, and share with us better solutions that do not border on apathy.

I do not believe that this topic is suitable for that discussion, you are free to peruse and engage in the (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showforum=570"]Gaza, Palestine[/url] sub-forum. May I add that while it's perfectly fine to express concerns for the plight of the common Muslims and Jews in that area, condoning Zionism is not allowed on the forum.

Salam.

Hello

A non-Muslim will not necessarily be killed because he does not accept Islam. He will, however, be killed if he declares himself an enemy of Islam, if he is oppressive/spreads mischief in the land, or stands against the aims and objectives of Islam.

Could you define the part ive highlighted please?. Could this be used to justify the use of violence in say the UK by Muslim's who want Islamic law?.

Peace

Hello

Could you define the part ive highlighted please?. Could this be used to justify the use of violence in say the UK by Muslim's who want Islamic law?.

Peace

Violence by Muslim inhabitants of a non-Muslim land? No. I'll keep my answer short because discussions of Jihad are not allowed on Gawaher. However, you are free to read about it in our 'Jihad & Misconceptions' forum, at: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showforum=188"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showforum=188[/url]

Salam.

Reply to Redeem: I wasn't meaning to be offensive or bring up a topic that should not have been. I did not come to this forum to enter into argument and I certainly did not wish to appear rude. I must admit I feel that it would not be wise to discuss the Gaza situation as it could easily lead to an infinite regression of playground-like "he started it... no he started it." Whatever you opinions are on the matter I am sure you are more versed in the facts.

I am sure, however, that you can see the point I'm making. To boycott israel is to harm an economy and therefore people, the large majority of whom are simply trying to live in peace. It is, in my opinion, very similar to the situation developing in the west where innocent muslims are harmed because of a few whose actions are undeniably wrong. To argue otherwise surely leads to stereotyping and false prejudice which can only serve to perpetuate hatred. I cannot imagine that is what you were advocating.

Once again I sincerely apologise for any offence caused, if you must think me rude or ignorant for raising questions please explain my mistakes rather than simply dismissing me out of hand.

Regards.

C-Cow, this is the very reason I searched for an Islamic forum. I have found others, but most were created by people out to slander everything about Islam. I'm here to learn, and hope my ignorance of this religion will be rectified rather than laughed at!

Let me add something to what brother Kab is saying about society already being unfair.

Men and women in America, for example, have different dress codes.

No they don't! Men, women can and do wear pants, shorts, t-shirts, jeans etc.

Some men even even chose to wear clothes intended for women.

None of this is illegal.

Women wearing "men's" clothing is extremely common. Men wear "women's" is uncommon for two of reasons:

1. It may imply homosexuality leading to ridicule or aggression; many in the USA are homophobic.

2. It will likely look ridiculous because the men and women's bodies are shaped quite differently.

Have you never seen a woman wearing a T-shirt and jeans?

A man can walk down the street in shorts only. A woman who does the same will most likely be arrested.

I presume you mean with her breasts showing? She certainly would not be arrested for wearing shorts.

So it's not entirely equal. Imagine someone in another society in which men and women can both reveal their naked chests (certain tribes in Africa, for example) who hears about the dress code of America. I'm sure they would think it was unfair, if not oppressive.

Breasts are generally regarded in a sexual manner in the US which is why revealing them in public is unlawful. Men revealing their sexual organs are regarded in the same way.

I also moved to US from an Islamic background and what I saw was terrifying. I was amazed to see how men and women have been hopping from bed to bed in search of good mates. Good Mates??? when your lust begins with lust and end on it how can you expect to find a faithful mate???

Secondly, you lose respect for women and all that remain in your head is to "score" a hit it doesn't matter if she is the wife of your brother, the sister or your spouse, the mother of your friend.

Sometimes I wonder how long it's gonna continue and what kinda impact it has created on the society in general. I felt sorry for the 11 or 12 year old girls getting pregnant and bearing babies, to further glamorize it the word "illegitimate" is changed to "love-child".

Silkworm, you're probably undergoing the phenomenon known as culture shock. It happens to most people when they encounter a radically different culture. To get over it you'll need to understand that just because people behave differently to you does not necessarily mean that they behave badly.

Regarding your specific example, I beg to differ that men having multiple sexual partners means "you lose respect for women and all that remain in your head is to "score" a hit it doesn't matter if she is the wife of your brother, the sister or your spouse, the mother of your friend". I have had multiple sexual partners and if anything it has increased my respect for women and has lowered my desire to "score". Sex for the sake of sex becomes much less of a big deal when sex is freely available. In my experience it's men from sexually repressive backgrounds (in my country it's mainly boys with strict Catholic upbringing in single-sex schools) who have the least understanding of women and who are most likely to treat them inappropriately.

Well its been 14 years now, but when I read the History, the USA of today resembles the Greeko-Roman Era when eating an apple was equal to getting laid, legal or illegal, it made no difference - So who can call this a "civilization" or a "civilized country" when we are repeating the deeds of the uncivilized???

Virginity is God's greatest gift to women or man, is this way they have to toss it around??? I am of the opinion that if you are ignoring the commandments of God you also have no right to stop at red light, cause this is a man-made law!!!

Well its been 14 years now, but when I read the History, the USA of today resembles the Greeko-Roman Era when eating an apple was equal to getting laid, legal or illegal, it made no difference - So who can call this a "civilization" or a "civilized country" when we are repeating the deeds of the uncivilized???

Um, are you saying that the Ancient Greeks and the Romans were uncivilised? That's a novel idea.

Virginity is God's greatest gift to women or man, is this way they have to toss it around??? I am of the opinion that if you are ignoring the commandments of God you also have no right to stop at red light, cause this is a man-made law!!!

If someone believes that their virginity is "God's greatest gift" they presumably don't "toss it around". If they don't, they behave differently. Did you read what I said about people behaving differently not necessarily behaving badly? Have you noticed that most of your fellow Americans are not Muslims?

Actually, here's a summary of some research - you seem to fit into the pattern:

A new study reveals that parents of teens believe that all adolescents are sexual with the exception of their own children. Dr. Sinikka Elliott of North Carolina State University conducted in-depth interviews with forty-seven parents of teenagers and found that participants viewed their own children as sexually innocent victims.

While teens overall were constructed as hypersexual, the parents in the study viewed their own children as prey to other oversexed predatory teens. For example, parents of male teens were concerned that young women would lure their passive young men into sex in order to solidify relationships. By contrast, parents of young women felt that male teens might take advantage of their unknowing and sexually disinterested daughters.

"By using sexual stereotypes to absolve their children of responsibility for sexual activity, the parents effectively reinforce those same stereotypes,” Elliott says.

The researchers were also concerned with the messages parents convey about aggression and manipulation heterosexual relationships and the lessons they teach their children about gender, race and class.

Elliott believes that “parents’ binary thinking – constructing their teen children as asexual but other teens as hypersexual – represents more than simply an effort to maintain a notion of their teens as sexually innocent: it reveals deep anxieties about their teenagers’ future life chances and underscores the prominent role sexuality plays in reproducing social inequality.”

The full report is published in the May issue of Symbolic Interaction.

Edited by wattle

Wattle, no matter how to interpret it, I was saying the Americans act like Greeks and Romans and in an "Uncivilized manner". Free for all sex is NOT a civilized thing to do, do you agree???

Since 1995 I have lived in Chicago, Georgia, Texas and Alabama and believe me I have seen it all.

No, of course I do not agree that free sex is uncivilised. Quite the opposite, as should have been apparent from my posts.

Are we back online yet?

- apparently yes

Edited by wattle

In every "declining" nation, in and in case of US a "fast-declining" Empire turning into a Republic is showing every sign there is of decay. I am not against US but whatever I am saying is historically proven and recorded among history books.

Arnold Toynbee was quite honest when he declared:

“Western civilization is aiming at nothing less than

the incorporation of all of mankind in a single great society and the

control of everything in the earth, air and sea . . .â€

(Toynbee, Civilization on Trial, p-166)

Professor Carroll Quigley was very elaborate about the signs being showed by a decaying nation, I will let you know as I recall my memory:

* ) Involving the populace overwhelmingly in activities like sports

* ) Give free-hand to people in sex, offer alternatives

*) Blow to proportions ordinary matters like Mickey Mouse's Birthday, Madonna's next spouse, Uma Thurman's shopping spree blah blah

There were altogether some 8-10 points I can't recall but if you want I can give you the name of the book, which would be very informative for you

As to your first point, Islam "is aiming at nothing less than" making monocultural world as well. So is Catholicism. So is Communism. It isn't exactly an unusual aspiration.

I don't really see that whether or not the US is a declining civilisation has anything to do with your contention that the US has poor sexual ethics.

Edited by wattle

Wattle, I think you are too young to understand these things and you have completely failed to grasp what is being said. Once you stop yourself from overcoming with patriotism and start to see things in the correct perspective you will be "introduced" to a new era of understanding things in an independence manner. Judaism, Christianity and Islam are based on Monotheism which leaves no space for Polytheism or Atheism.

Secondly, when you read what I write you immediately "shrink" yourself into Americanism and Atheism, which is a hindrance - Will you say NO to some 21 civilizations who emerged, stood their grounds, created impact in Geographical and historical era by fighting wars, extending their Empires and then faded away??? - Human history tells us that there are "signs" start to show up as the civilization progresses, the signs of decay. How many historians of our era has clearly said that American Empire is over-stretched.

Frederich Nietzsche called it the signs of "decadence", you think that "free-sex" creates no impact (and I am talking about negative impact) on the society and culture??? Don't you think that you are not witnessing more too many single moms and illegitimate children??? What kind of social order do you want to promote??? According to Houston Chronicle only 12% American couple that are living together are married.

BUT what am I writing should not be taken as an insult, as this is what your own writers and literati are saying.

Do you think I'm American? I'm not. I live in a radically different culture than American mainstream culture. My country's attitude to sex is more relaxed than America's, and its attitude to religion is also much more relaxed - our politicians rarely mention their faith, because doing so loses votes.

I have no idea why you feel it necessary to tell me that Judaism etc are monotheist religions. Was this an answer to my point that "Western Culture" is not alone in wanting to spread itself throughout the world? If so, it is a completely off-point answer.

I don't care what happens to the "American Empire" (whatever that means), I'm rather looking forward to China and India taking their place as world leaders. I do care what happens to the USA as a country, as it is one of the few intellectual powerhouses in existence.

I did not say that free sex has no impact. What I do think is that the impact of free sex (largely a result of the contraceptive pill, which coincidentally tuned 50 last week) is on the whole positive. Of course, like any other invention which has caused massive social change (eg the invention of the printing press, the invention of the automobile, the invention of TV), there are good and bad results following from the invention of the pill and the consequent sexual revolution.

I don't recognize the concept of "my own writers" if by that you mean Western writers. I read good writing from as many cultures as I can. I regard good writers as "my writers", whatever their background. Also, there is no such thing as a spokesperson for "the West". Its a silly concept. "Western Civilisation" is a constant debate between widely differing philosophies.