Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jk_89

A-levels - Your Experiences?

:D

I was wondering of anyone here is doing or has recently done A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, maths and french? Inshallah I will be studying these subjects in September, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice, e.g. what did you find difficult, easy, any tips, etc?

Jazakum Allah khair for your help :D

PropellerAds

:D dear sis!

i'll try to remember;was 2 years ago! i studied biology, chemistry, psychology and english language. in the first year, you dont have any coursework, only about 3 exams for each module. i think you do 1 in jan and the other 2 in june (so thats 3 exams for each subject).

my advice? get the syllabus from your teacher and use it for preparation for your exams. thats all i can think of right now, be back later :D if i can think of anything else.

take care sis! hope it all goes well :D :D :D

Asalamu Alaikum

When it gets tough, stuff it. Don't give a 'rufus' about it. Allah and his rasool [saw] are enough for you. :D

Sorry, got nothing good to add, but I pray all goes well for you insha Allah ameen.

i studied biology and chemistry, both subjects are very acedmicly demanding esp chemistry but you dont need to be a genius to study them just dedicate enough time to it, do every homwork you get and don;t relay only on the teacher find some nice text books (not revision books) and learn on your own.

1 thing about chemistry is that you cannot learn it from revision books you need learn it firstly from detailed text book only then should you use revision books.

hope that helped even if it was obvious but it must be stressted. and if you get stuck on your chem then post your question then inshallah sis Elif or i can help you out.

Edited by slave

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

I did Maths and Chemistry - I think both are quite tough, but Chemistry gets better the more topics you get through, as your understanding improves (it's like you're getting more pieces of the jigsaw puzzle).

I'd recommend you do loads of past exam papers and questions - I think it's all about practise, especially for Maths. You should see your marks improve that way iA. Also chase up the teacher for any problems you have.

Wassalaam.

Jazakum Allah khair for your replies!

Sis *MuSlIm* yes that does help!

Bro D-Ziner : LOL :D Of course trust in Allah is the most important thing

Bros slave and borbus, thanks for the good advice, i'll bear it in mind.

Thanks all for the kind words and help!

A lot of my friends do them subjects, i'll ask around and see what advice they give :D

Excellent pieces of advice above though!!

Insha'Allah this september i too will be doing A levels?

Any subjects that you disliked or liked bros/sis's?

I heard Biology is very demanding and so is Chemistry.

Has anyone done Psychology/Sociology?

What sort of textbooks do you recomend?

Are the As's hard themseleves?

:D in advance.

Alot of questions i know, im very curious :D

Has anyone done Psychology

i did that for AS and A2 i loved As and got a nice grade alhamduliah, but A2 that was anthor story so many conflicting views with Islam and it just really got me angry and i started to hate it. A2 was awful. donno if any1 else felt the same?

MashAllah nice to see your goin for the more demanding subjects.

Ive just done my first year in college, doin AS ICT and Business and Digital Media.

The key is to just get the work done and dont laze about!, its not called 'advanced' for no reason, but if you have done well in your GCSE's you shouldnt find it that hard to go a step further.

Edited by rofi

i did that for AS and A2 i loved As and got a nice grade alhamduliah, but A2 that was anthor story so many conflicting views with Islam and it just really got me angry and i started to hate it. A2 was awful. donno if any1 else felt the same?

I did Psycholgoy AS this year, it was interesting!

I just gotta wait for the results and decide between eng lit and psychology! So you woudln't recommend it Brother Slave??

For AS you just need to be prepared to rememeber a lot of psychlogist's names and the year of the experiments for the AQA Spec!

I did Psycholgoy AS this year, it was interesting!

I just gotta wait for the results and decide between eng lit and psychology! So you woudln't recommend it Brother Slave??

For AS you just need to be prepared to rememeber a lot of psychlogist's names and the year of the experiments for the AQA Spec!

yeh i did the AQA spec too, i really loved the AS psy it was very intresting esp develpmental and the abnormality bits, alhamduliah i got AAB on the papers thats how i score when i am really loving a subject. but A2 is when you get all these werid theories and it just really made me angry infact contless times i got in debates with the teacher cos i didnt like the way she was making out the theories to be solid facts but i think the teacher understoud that i would not aggree to her way of thinking so didnt get mad at me. oh and the animal behaviour was soo grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

i wish i did english lit :D , its better to have good english skills then to do psychology.

anyway you must decide for yourself based on your character, i personly dont like being taught junk about human and animal behavour. just becarefull what you choose.

:D for the reply

To be honest i found Psychology hard but interesting, i was getting pretty good grades, just not having that enjoyment factor! With English Lit it's the complete opposite.

I guess my mind is 95% made up, about dropping Psych!

What is so good about Eng lit? Is this the poem one??

What is so good about Eng lit? Is this the poem one??

Part of the course includes poetry, yes! For the Edexcel course, you also read a Pre-1900 and Post 1900 Novel, as well as coursework!

I've always enjoyed English, not as much as history though! You just have to be preparted to do A LOT of background research and reading to secure a decent grade!

Salaam everyone,may Allah grant your prayers,Ameen!

I am going into Year 13,mashallah.

Have done further maths,maths,physics and biology in year 12.

Gonna drop biology for year 13,to focus on Cambridge maths entrance exam paper called STEP.

I found maths fairly easy,mashallah,done a whole A level in maths in a year.

I found to hit the top grades,mashallah,I had to work hard from the start of the year.So from day 1 my intention was that I wanted As in all my subjects.

So for maths I would do extra work outside school,that meant doing more questions on each exercise then normal,till I was happy I could answer an exam standard question.With maths,practice,practice,practi

e does the trick.

Keep doing questions till your happy with that topic.

Biology,with that I found I had to review everyday the stuff I learned from school.Therefore I would test myself to see what I knew.

Basically writing things out from memory.

Also I wanted to do exam level questions fast so did so,mashallah,to see what it was like.

So constant active learning not passive learning done the trick in Biology.

Physics,with that I found that as I was good at maths I could do physics without to many problems.The techniques I used for biology and maths applied to physics.

And finally have the belief that you can reach high grades and you will,inshallah!

May Allah give everyone great success in their studies,Ameen!

Afterall Allah knows best and Allah is able to do all things!