Islamic Forum
seven

Islamic Societies

Asalamu Alaikum

Anyone know [got a guide to] the Uni's around England which have a good [known for] it's Islamic Society? Or any Uni which has a good, or has a high Islamic activity in around and the campus? Somewhere where you can study and stay steadfast without loosing track of your faith.

Do share insha Allah.

PropellerAds

:D

Imperial College, London, looks good:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.union.ic.ac.uk/scc/islamic/main.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.union.ic.ac.uk/scc/islamic/main.html[/url]

I'm actually looking out for the same things myself.. planning ahead lolz..

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.isoc.co.uk/"]Cambridge's ISoc[/url] is good and I heard (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.umu.man.ac.uk/muisoc/"]Manchester's[/url] is good too.

Wassalaam.

Asalamu Alaikum

Manchester really is good? I don't believe it. Anyone who has experienced the IS in Manchester confirm this?

Not going Cambridge so don't care, but I am considering Manchester.

JK, here's the thing. People say this is good, and that is. But only a few have seen it for themsevles. Hence, if you've been there and seen the scene yourself, do tell us.

there are many London Unis with great Isocs!

I particularly like UCL's or rather the University of London's in general, they are always organisng great things.

I have been to a few UCL events and they were very beneficial!

Here is their website:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamic.uclu(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamic.uclu(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.html[/url]

Brother, you also need to consider other factors when looking at Universities. they may have a good ISOC, but what is their rating? What is the employability rate for Graduates? There are many things to consider!

:D your search for a uni with a good ISOC will be frutiful!

Asalamu Alaikum

You are right sister, but I was going to look at that after. First comes deen, then dunya they say.

Ok, I'll start another thread then.

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

I went to Imperial, and the ISoc there was really good, mashaa'Allah. They held weekly circles in the prayer room, a camp, events for freshers, a fund-raising campaign, occasional tahajjud/qiyaam prayers, an awareness week for non-Muslims, every year. Also, fitnah is arguably less there as people are academically driven and as ~64% of the student population is male.

While I was there a brother told me that Imperial and Manchester have the most active ISocs. That's why I mentioned Manchester.

I didn't want to say, but I was at Cambridge for a year as a postgrad. The terms are only 8 weeks long, so they're pretty intensive. Despite that, the ISoc there is also really good, and packs a lot of events in throughout the year: weekly circles, tahajjud/qiyaam prayers, two weekend courses, an awareness week, the obligatory freshers' events, and they also have a Human Rights section. They also produce a termly newsletter and have a da'wah stall in town at the weekends. Though segregation is perhaps not as great there compared to Imperial, and there are fewer Muslims.

Edit: Cambridge also has (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=8407&hl="]Abdal-Hakim Murad/TJ Winter[/url], who lectures at the Faculty of Divinity there, and gives circles and khutab.

Wassalaam.

Edited by borbus

yep imperial has a good ISOC (maybe the best?)

they say Queen mary has a nice ISOC too

not sure about manchester but i know a brother there and he does alot of dawah there so it should be good.

Wa-Alaikum-Salaam,

I am aware that the Oxford Isoc is really doing well and very active. There are plans to build a news Masjid on campus. Similarly, Royal Holloway, U of London, is an Isoc built within a ver good Muslim community. You'll be taken care of there. During Ramadan, the students are catered for by the local Muslim's for Iftar etc. Also, Royal Holloway Isoc and the Islamic Society of West Surrey have announced plans to build a Masjid on campus. It's very good news and will become a reality insha'Allah. To top it off, the RHUL Isoc has won the society of the year award at Royal Holloway.

SOAS also has a very active ISOC.

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

Looking at (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.union.ic.ac.uk/scc/islamic/activities.htm"]Imperial's activities list[/url], they're still lively, mashaa'Allah.

Wassalaam.

Salaam,

I study at Manchester and can confirm that the Isoc here is very active. Last week (or two weeks ago) they ran an Islamic Awareness Week with talks, trips to the Masjid etc, they have also been active in campaigning for a new prayer hall to be built.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

Assalamu alaykum wr

Just wondering, any good Islamic societies in the Midlands? Preferably arounf Birmingham area. Any info is appreciated insha'Allah

w/slm

Assalaamu Alaykum

Errmm... So everyone here's from the UK?

South African here, I'm a Somatologist (wellness/beauty therapist). Not sure I wanna stay in this field though! Any advice?

Peace :-)