Islamic Forum
*MuSlIm*

I Went........................

:D

Yeah, happens in my family's weddings too....we call it zaghreet, and it is the most amazing sound, especially when an expert does it! :D

My pitiful attempts are really laughable!!

Edited by asmauk

PropellerAds

unfortunately i havnt been to an arab wedding as yet..... :D  but i have heard that they make strange, loud noises with their tongues..gosh they must have xtra long/wriggly  tongues to make all the noise that they do make  :D lol..

well sis  :D for sharing ur experience..... :D

a, poor sis; i'm sure you'll get to go to an arab wedding one day, :D . :D

take care

Edited by *MuSlIm*

:D sister

(coco chanel)
??? :D

Assalamualaikum

yes Ive been to arab weddings and the tongue whirling noise is far too much ...throughout the whole wedding, after the entrance after a speech etc etc

But can I ask what is the reason behind this? surely its not an Islamic practice?

selina

ah.. i know what ur talking about! been to a lot of arab weddings ..that sound is kinda like those native red indians

NO kidding!! I was thinking the same thing....

Assalamualaikum

But can I ask what is the reason behind this? surely its not an Islamic practice?

selina

i doubt its an Islamic practise :D we just do it to show happiness i think :D even though i cant do it....mine sounds reli screechy :D

NO kidding!! I was thinking the same thing....

:D :D i dont think it sounds like the red indian thing.....ours sounds more high-pitched :D :D

Hm i was thinking the same thing. Surely they can use their voices that Allah swt has blessed them with, more productively, like singing nasheeds or reciting Qur'an amongst the sisters.

:sl : Funerals? really?! I've never heard it at funerals , I guess maybe if a shaheed died , then they would do that, but Ive never heard it  :D

Funerals? never, only for shaheed. The sound is an expression of happiness, it is called "zaghareed" (plural). I really like it, it makes me feel excited. Maybe you heard it only at weddings but it is quite common. Like when a baby is born, when someone is engaged, when someone graduates from college, when someone comes home from hadj and so on. The difference in a wedding is that it is continuous for a long time rather than one or two to announce the happy news, and that almost all the women do it.

Hm i was thinking the same thing. Surely they can use their voices that Allah swt has blessed them with, more productively, like singing nasheeds or reciting Qur'an amongst the sisters.

Come on, are you trying to tell me that in a wedding you tell all the sisters to all be quite becouse you are reciting quran? They do sing and this sound comes with it too.