Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rofi

Joking In Islam

:D

Allah's Messenger, peace be upon him, said to his companion Hanzala, who thought that life should be free from fun and entertainment and that he committed hypocrisy when he played and jested with his wife and children:

"But, Hanzala, refresh your heart from time to time." (Muslim).

Here the Holy Prophet explained to the man that permissible fun and self-refreshment is desirable for the human soul to regain its activity and liveliness. He peace and pleassings of Allah be upon him, also taught them the rules of conduct as regards to joking, when asked about his joking with them, by saying which meaning of is translated as:

"Yes, but I speak truthfully." (Tirmidhi).

Once an old woman came to him and said: O Messenger of Allah, pray to Allah for me to be admitted into Paradise. He peace and pleassings of Allah be upon him, said which meaning of is

translated as:

"No old woman will be admitted into Paradise.".

On hearing this she went away crying. He said:

"Tell her that she won't be an old woman when she goes into Paradise.".

Allah, the Exalted, says which meaning of is translated as:

"Lo! We have created them a (new) creation and made them virgins, lovers, friends." (The Qur'aan, Chapter Al-Qamar, 54:35-37).

A joke should not involve any hurt or insult to any Muslim. Allah's Messenger peace and pleassings of Allah be upon him, said which meaning of is translated as:

"No Muslim is allowed to scare another Muslim." (Abu Dawood). He also said: "Nobody should take (Muslim) brother's belongings." (Abu Dawood and Tirmidhi).

Joking should not drive a Muslim to lie in order to make others laugh, as understood from the Prophet's peace and pleassings of Allah be upon him, words which meaning of is translated as:

"Woe to him who lies when speaking to make people laugh. Woe to him! Woe to him!".

Joking should not involve lying, Abu Hurayrah (radhi allahu anhu) said that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was told,

"O Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), you are joking with us." He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "I only say what is true." [Tirmidhee]

Also, listening to jokes that involve lies is forbidden, because silence in Islam indicates consent. Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has ordered us to stop evil or at least speak out against it, if it occurs in one's presence. If one cannot gather the courage to speak against the one who lies, then he should leave such people who engage in lies to pass their time.

PropellerAds

Joking should not involve bad language or abusing people. Allah says in the Qur'aan:

"O you who believe! A group of people should not scorn another group, for it may be that (the scorned person) is better than the other…" [soorah al-Hujurat (49): 11]

Always Remember Before you speak!

Everything we say is being recorded in our actions and that one wrong word can take us to Hell Fire. Allah says in Soorah Qaf (50): 18:

"Not a word he utters but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it)."

The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

"Sometimes, a person says a thing which pleases Allah, and in return Allah raises his status (rewards him), and sometimes a persons says something which displeases Allah, and it takes him to Hell." [saheeh al-Bukharee]

Jazak Allah khairun for sharing them with us.

Just finished reading it. :D the manners in Islam are such that even if a person establishes one manner in his life, he will notice a change for better in him and he will see his life becoming easier.

The jokes about sikhs, pathans etc etc are not to Islamic morals. Why pick on someone. This should not be a character of a Muslim.

I also dont understand why call names to other person and making fun of them and comparing their faces to animals eg recently Saddam and Bush.

:D for posting it.

I also dont understand why call names to other person and making fun of them and comparing their faces to animals eg recently Saddam and Bush.

:D for posting it.

as far as bush and saddam are concerned i understand very well why ppl do that....cus i do it myself :D

and thanks brother Fi Sabillillah! that was a very nice article Masha'Allaah.

and so true......a persons joking shud not be excessive but moderate....and we shud not lie.....but a bit of teasing? :D ....hmmm

A joke should not involve any hurt or insult to any Muslim. Allah's Messenger peace and pleassings of Allah be upon him, said which meaning of is translated as:

"No Muslim is allowed to scare another Muslim." (Abu Dawood). He also said: "Nobody should take (Muslim) brother's belongings." (Abu Dawood and Tirmidhi).

Assalam Alaikum

We should remember always above mentioned Quote... Jazaak Allah Khair for sharing such wonderful topic here..

May Allah reward you for this..

GOD BLESS US ALL

Edited by subhaanallaah

:sl:

:j: for that much needed reminder. I'd like to make some additions to it, :sl:

[using large font size is not allowed] Abu Hurairah, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported that the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said:

"Let whosoever believes in Allah and in the Last Day either speak good or be silent. Let whosoever believes in Allah and in the Last Day honour his neighbour. Let whosoever believes in Allah and in the Last Day honour his guest."[using large font size is not allowed]

630. Abu Umamah Al-Bahili (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a home in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners.'' [Abu Dawud].[using large font size is not allowed]

Sometimes some of publicly say things that are just inside jokes, but we don't plan on explaining them. Here's a reminder regarding that: Ibn Mas'ud r.a. reported that Rasulullah s.a.w as saying : When three of you are together, two of you must not converse privately ignoring the other till the number increases lest the third should be grieved. ( Muttafaqun alayih )

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: Do not laugh too much, for laughing too much deadens the heart. (Saheeh al-Jaamiâ, 7312)

Quotes from pious men:

Umar ibn Abd al-Azeez (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Fear joking, for it is folly and generates grudges.

He also said: Fear joking, for it undermines chivalry and manliness.

Saâd ibn Abi Waqqaas said: Set a limit to your jokes, for going to extremes makes you lose respect and incites the foolish against you.

˜Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: Whoever laughs too much or jokes too much loses respect, and whoever persists in doing something will be known for it.

Finally, I'd like to recommend the lecture, "I'm Not Lying, I'm Only Joking" by Muhammad Al Shareef: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_english.islamway(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/bindex.php?section=lessons&lesson_id=87&scholar_id=14"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_english.islamway(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/bindex.php?sec...p;scholar_id=14[/url]

Transcribed here: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetkhutbah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?type=5&id=1206&language=8"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetkhutbah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?type=5&am...&language=8[/url]

Allahu alam.

[using large font size is not allowed]