Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swanlake

Are you happy?

Salaam aleykum to my brothers and sisters & peace to our non-muslim members

What constitutes happiness and success according to your convictions?

Are you really happy with your life at the moment?

What gets you through when times are tough??

I am not talking about in the general sense...Probably the first thing that comes to your mind would be to say 'peace' but i am talking about the things in your life that would make you content and happy and perhaps feel that you have acheived a great deal in this life when on your deathbed.

PropellerAds

Success is living life the right way, being able to look back at ones live and feel unashamed, and also seeing things that make you realize that have done some good in the world.

Yes, I would say that I am. The Lord God has blessed me with a wonderful wife, and our first child is on the way.

Prayer and faith.

for today.... beign able to make understand to a customer of mine that a cluster server is something he can't afford.... it took only 3 hours of talk omg eheh.

I am HAPPY! I have a wife, my house is almost done being remodeled (what a stress) a job I like, I am leading a good Christian life, and my first baby, a girl, is due ANY DAY!

Life is pretty good.

:D

peace,

Man is created into 2 parts:

1) body

2) soul

-----------

If the soul knows Allah (its creator), then it loves Allah and fears Allah. It praises Allah night and day (as we muslims do).

if the soul is happy..then it lives pure life also having a great control over the body (therefore whatever the body needs, it asks the soul before it does anything and the soul judges by the Laws and rules of its creator)

If the soul does not know its creator (Allah) then the body is the one who controls the soul and slaves the soul. The body only lives by its desire and lust, it does not care about whats going to happen if it dies tommorrow...it only cares about today.

The souls of true muslims..live their life by the Quran (the light) and by the sunnah (the way to paradise). The Quran and sunnah is the food and drink for the soul. Alhamdulilah...we are muslims and are happy with our way of life.

wa.salam

Peace Swanlake,

Happiness comes in lots of forms, I'm probably most happy being sociable with other people I like. Success for me is not failing in anything but enjoying myself while doing it.

Very happy with my life at the moment. I probably should study a bit more, drink a bit (lot) less and get a (proper) girlfriend but that's the conclusion of every student I know :D

Friends help me through when times are tough. I live with 4 others in my flat, with 5 other close friends directly up the stairs. Problems that I get tend to be the same ones they have or have had, so talking about it and helping each other through works wonders for me.

What about you? :D

Asalamulaikum/ Peace to you

I am happy, alhumdillilah (praise be to God), God has blessed me with a wonderful family, a chance at good education, Islam, wonderful friends, a security, a home, and more things than I can write about.

By the way, congratulations Mr. Fluffy and Yank on the insha'Allah (God willing) soon to arive children! May God make them healthy and happy and make their birth easy on their mothers and without any complications.

Seriusly now

Happiness most for me... is to see my wife happy.. my parents happy.. my friends happy, this is what give me the best happiness usually.

Success for me..... ....... ...... imho there is no real success, maybe a balanced life.

It could be better, is that i have always to get the hard way of the things... or i am not happy.

Nothing i go sleep.

Edited by Venier

Venier,

He is asking "what is it that helps you when times are hard?"

If you are having a bad day, what is it that you do or think of that lets you forget about the bad things?

Peace be with you all!

Any happiness that depends on this world is false happiness. Things like money, career, girl/boyfriends, family, children, power...etc. Simply because you don't have full control over them and therefor could lose them at any time....and then I supose you're not happy anymore. And with death you lose it all.

True happiness comes when someone has peace and contentment in his/her heart.

Wassalam!

Edited by StarLight

I agree with Starlight when she says that true happiness is when someones content in their heart. In reply to the original post- Yes i am happy :D I've finally gotten out of a depression, i've got everything i need in life, and i don't feel like anything more would be of use. I've got my family, my friends, and a new found love for life and Allah (swt) and someone once told me that "all the emptiness you ever felt will never be filled with the material things in life, only God can fill your void"

Peace Starlight,

Any happiness that depends on this world is false happiness. Things like money, career, girl/boyfriends, family, children, power...etc. Simply because you don't have full control over them and therefor could lose them at any time....and then I supose you're not happy anymore. And with death you lose it all.

True happiness comes when someone has peace and contentment in his/her heart.

(This is an "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.google(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/search?q=Islamic+forum&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official"]Islamic forum[/url] and I'm only saying this because it happens to be Islamic-Western Dialogue.)

I appreciate your point of view as a Muslim, however being an unbeliever in all organized religions I tend to believe that the whole idea of having happiness based on a faith in God is false happiness.

If you combine your view of happiness and mine, one would have to come to the conclusion that different people find happiness in different things and it's unfair of me to call your happiness false, likewise the other way round.

I don't want to cause a fight, that's just my point of view :D

Eoin

Peace Eoin,

I'm sorry if I somehow offended you, know that it was not my intention. So please don't take it personally :D After all we just don't share the same definition of happiness. However this doesn't mean that I'm not thankful to what the world has to offer me. And for that I praise Allah.

Edited by StarLight

Peace,

My apologies, I didn't mean to come accross as offended! I wasn't at all, just wanted to give my point of view! :D

(My return apologies if I came accross as offensive!)

:D & peace to all

To me, having faith is one of the most powerful causes for Earthly happiness as well as for salvation in the Hereafter. We can attain happiness through our worship of Allah and through our faith itself.

Seeking closeness to Allah through obedience and through fulfilling our religious duties instills happiness in the heart that must be experienced to be understood.

We can find happiness in carrying out our religious duties and in our voluntary worship.

Allah says: “Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and has Faith, verily, to him will We give a new Life, a life that is good and pure and We will bestow on such their reward according to the best of their actions.� [sûrah al-Nahl: 97]

We can find happiness in the remembrance of Allah.

Allah says: “Those who believe, and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance of Allah: for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction.� [sûrah al-Ra`d: 28]

Ibn al-Qayyim writes:

I approached Ibn Taymiyah after after the Fajr prayer. He sat engaged in Allah’s remembrance until late into morning when the Sun had risen high overhead. Hen he turned towards me and said: “This is my morning sustenance. If I fail to take it, then my strength will not sustain me.�

These were hours in which he would devote himself exclusively to his Lord. He would beseech Him sincerely, supplicate to Him, seek His forgiveness, and entreat Him in humility, while tears of regret flowed from his eyes. Afterwards, his heart would be fully cleansed by this worship and his life his soul, and every fiber of his being would be invigorated. His mind and heart would be refreshed.

We can find happiness in the Qur’ân

Allah says: “We send down in the Qur'an that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe.� [sûrah al-Isrâ’: 82]

We can find happiness in prayer.

Once the Prophet (peace be upon him) asked Bilâl to call the prayer, saying: “Give us comfort in it, O Bilâl!� [sunan Abî Dâwûd and Musnad Ahmad]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) also said: “Prayer has been made the comfort of my eyes.� [sunan al-Nasâ`î and Musnad Ahmad]

We often find that speaking to someone who is dear to us – even about the most mundane of matters – can make us very happy. How much greater can the experience of happiness be when we are speaking to our Lord and worshipping him in humility.

We can find happiness in knowing Allah:

When a worshipper knows his Lord, he feels at peace. He sees Allah’s workings in Creation and appreciates the greatness and innovativeness of Allah’s handiwork that is all around him and how it is full of mercy and wisdom. We cannot see our Lord but we can see the effects of His handiwork that proclaim His most excellent names and attributes.

This is why the Prophet (peace be upon him) describes excellence in worship as: “…to worship Allah as though you see Him, and though you do not see Him, truly He sees you.� [sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

When the worshipper sees the results of Allah’s creative power and knowledge in the world around him, he feels a very intimate closeness to Allah. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “He tastes the sweet flavor of faith who is pleased with Allah as his Lord, with Islam as his religion, and with Muhammad as the Messenger.� [sahîh Muslim]

Happiness is born in faith:

Allah makes it clear in the Qur’ân that happiness is faith’s constant companion. He says: “Those who believe and do not mix their belief with wrong, they are the ones who have security and they are the ones who are guided aright.� [sûrah al-An`âm: 82] The security that is felt in the heart and in one’s life as well as in the Hereafter is born of faith. The more correct and pure a believer’s faith becomes, the stronger his heart will be. When a person is weak in this regard, it is on account of “...the things your hands have wrought, and for many He grants forgiveness.� [sûrah al-Shûrâ: 30]

short story

There was a western author who went to live among the Arab desert dwellers. He adopted their dress, ate their food, and bought a small herd of sheep to take care of. He wrote a book about the Prophet Muhammad entitled The Messenger. This man had lived the western experience and then experienced life among the simplest of Muslims. He was not among scholars or intellectuals. They were desert herdsmen.

What did he have to say? He said: “I learned from the desert Arabs how to overcome anxiety.�

Those Muslims believe in Allah’s decree and determination of all things. They live there lives with a sense of security. However, they do not stand around doing nothing when tragedy strikes.

The man writes:

A great desert sandstorm struck one day and killed many of their sheep. Some were buried alive in the sands. When the storm subsided, I was as distressed as could be; however, the Arabs were running towards one another, calling out to each other, laughing, and singing their traditional songs. They glorified God and said: “Praise be to Allah, 40% of our sheep were spared."

When they saw how I had been affected by what happened, they said to me: “Anger and worry produce nothing. This is something written by Allah, decreed and determined by Him.� In spite of this, I found them doing everything in their power to minimize the damage.

Though they believe in Allah’s decree, they do not understand it to imply passivity and inaction. He writes:

Once while traveling with them by car, our car stopped suddenly in the middle of the empty desert. One of the tires had burst. I became angry. They said to me: “Anger produces nothing.� The car continued for a while on three tires and then the car stalled again. This time it was because the car had run out of gas.

I saw them all get our of the car, leaving it to one side. They continued on by foot in the highest of spirits, moving as sprightly as gazelles. They were happy and content, reciting poetry to one another and conversing with me.

The seven years that I spent with them in the desert convinced me that the people stricken with alienation, mental illness, alcoholism, and psychoses found in Europe and America are victims of the western city that has taken haste as a basic principle of life.

Peace Eoin and StarLight and all

Happiness and Success (to me) is experiencing the goodness of this world and the goodness of the HereAfter.

I am happy. My wife and I love each other very much. One day we will share that love with children and that prospect is exciting. I am happy to have no "void" in myself that needs to be filled worshipping the creator and content knowing He is not communicating to me through millenia old poetry. If times get tough, I believe that things are never as bad as they seem and while you have life there is always something to be thankful for.

salaam alaikum,

I think happiness is realizing the ability within yourself to become content with anything put before you in life. Not to become elated, and not to become depressed...but to be content.

Yes.

i am talking about the things in your life that would make you content and happy and perhaps feel that you have acheived a great deal in this life when on your deathbed.

I get that feeling from my new found knowledge of Islam and I think that by practicing it I will feel a sense of achievement once I die and insha'Allah enter true paradise.

wassalaam

AS

In nomine Jesu I offer you all peace,

I find happiness in the care and happiness I give to others, not in my faith and not out of what I get out of this life. Those would be rewards in themselves.

Peace, Love and Blessings,

In nomine Jesu I offer you all peace,

I find happiness in the care and happiness I give to others, not in my faith and not out of what I get out of this life. Those would be rewards in themselves.

Peace, Love and Blessings,

Peace Maranatha,

Nicely stated. I would suggest that "it" is very much someone's "faith" to care and bring happiness to others. Wouldn't you agree?

PS: It is nice to see that you're back.

Peace friend,

happiness would be determined by the level of comittment to my faith, my religion, the One and only God, Allah (swt)......the ultimate success would be the success in the hereafter.........for leading a life that is seen as good and truthful by the Lord.....

I am happy with all that Allah (swt) has blessed me with but im not 100% happy with myself, i think i have along way to go and alot to learn so that i can follow Islam completely, and that i need to show my gratitude more, i just feel im not doing enough to be a better person when i know i have the ability and capacity, sometimes laziness takes over, sometimes i realise a little too late and so on, i just know that i can do better and i have learned that when things go wrong in any arena of my life, i should never think 'why me' but rather pray and remain thankful for what i have.....and compare myself to those in worse situation than me...

prayer and faith.....trust in Allah (swt).......only.......period.

when times are really really rough and tough, i always think 'Allah (swt) if this is what i have to go through, then fine, but please do not turn away from me keep me under your mercy' im always afraid that Allah is angry with me or punishing me, im so scared he'll turn away from me........so i pray more for this, to recieve his love and mercy and not his wrath.....

i dunno if i made sense there or if these were the kind of views you're lookin for but this is how i feel when asked these questions......

:w: