Islamic Forum
IbrahimMuhammed

Have You Ever Hid The Fact You Were Muslim?

Asalaam Alikum

A couple of weeks ago something major, in my opinion anyway, happened to me.

I left an old job and as a prank, to my knowledge although it could of come from Management, was made. This all resulted in the fact that they knew that I was 'interested' in Islam.

Now in my new job, I am afraid to tell anyone of my interests and beliefs in case something bad happens again.

So I am going to lie low :D and not reveal the real me.

Have any of you ever been in a job or a situation where you felt that you couldn;t speak up or let others know who you really are?

I would be really interested to know if this just me and have others gone through the same thing.

Salaam :D

PropellerAds

:D

i,ve neva been in the situation where i had to hide my belife but i have been in several poistion where i did not reveal my ethinic identity to avoid talking with some people...

Asalaam Alikum

A couple of weeks ago something major, in my opinion anyway, happened to me.

I left an old job and as a prank, to my knowledge although it could of come from Management, was made.  This all resulted in the fact that they knew that I was 'interested' in Islam.

Now in my new job, I am afraid to tell anyone of my interests and beliefs in case something bad happens again.

So I am going to lie low  :D  and not reveal the real me.

Have any of you ever been in a job or a situation where you felt that you couldn;t speak up or let others know who you really are?

I would be really interested to know if this just me and have others gone through the same thing.

well, the only place where i can recall 'not' talking about Islam..is at a job interview...which took place on 22 July...(after 21st July)...i was asked about what books i read and what i researched on the Internet....well...my turthful answer would have been Islam....but i just ...tried to talk around the answer...and i just stated i like to research science etc... i really wanted to say "Islam-my religion"...but with all this bad talk abt Islam...i thought there's no point of telling them....it wont really benefit anyone...(i think)

May Allah swt forgive me

Nope..never hid my identity, and its hard for me to hide anyway cuz of my dressing. :D

but i have been in several poistion where i did not reveal my ethinic identity to avoid talking with some people...

Oi, same here. :D

May Allah :D make it easy for you brother.. :D

No dude, no matter how hard I try the hijab keeps giving me away!

woh, aint that the joke of the week, I'd take a bow, but ya'll know the rules, ya only bow to Allah!

Edited by sis Qassab

Alhamdulillah I've never had to hide my identity, May Allah make it is easier for you to share your discovery of Islam with others, bro Chrism.

Nope..never hid my identity, and its hard for me to hide anyway cuz of my dressing. :D

Oi, same here. :D

May Allah :D make it easy for you brother.. :D

Assalamu alaykum.

Ameen to the above dua.

LOL! That's what I was thinking. Hijab/jelbab pretty much makes one stand out, so no hiding for me. Also, there's no hiding my ethnicity. I am African American. People always ask me what country in Africa I'm from because they can't get it through their heads that you can be a Muslim, even a Black Muslim, and be from the US. Here's a sample convo:

Them: Where are you from?

ME: The US.

THEM: Well, sure. But where are you FROM?

ME: The US. I was born and raised here.

THEM: But where are your PARENTS from?

ME: The US!! My parents, my grandparents, my great-parents, etc all the way back until you get to my ancestors who were kidnapped and sold into slavery were born in the US/North America.

THEM: Silent, with a confused look on their face.

I have this conversation at least once per week it seems.

Assalamu alaykum.

Assalamu alaykum.

Ameen to the above dua.

Them: Where are you from?

ME: The US.

THEM: Well, sure. But where are you FROM?

ME: The US. I was born and raised here.

THEM: But where are your PARENTS from?

ME: The US!! My parents, my grandparents, my great-parents, etc all the way back until you get to my ancestors who were kidnapped and sold into slavery were born in the US/North America.

THEM: Silent, with a confused look on their face.

I have this conversation at least once per week it seems.

Assalamu alaykum.

:D I see excatly what u talkin' about sister. a lotta people in the usa need to get out of their little box and think...

Barak Allah Fiki

At work or anywhere else, it is quite hard to hide the fact i am muslim. But i saw sisters taking off their hijab when going for interviews etc and my sister didnt get her place at university when she mistakingly thought that her was in the hands of the men (who interviewed her) rather than Allah. She didnt get it but she convinced herself that she was refused cos she disobeyed Allah. But now she is weakening.

Anyhow Always remember they cant do anything to you unless Allah wills.

I have not personally been in such a situation but i have a friend who recently reverted and had to hide it from her parents because of their views and hatred towards muslims. It took a while untill she was comfortable enough to tell them the truth.

In your case brother i suggest that if someone asks you say its true that you've been researching Islam and find it interesting. Just don't make it a big deal. If they see that you're not making it a big deal they won't either. of course there's going to be a question or two. but brother I think you underestimate yourself. I think you can handle it.

I have never hid the fact that i'm a muslim.....with a hijab and abaya on, its like having a neon sign above my head.. :D

but brother I think you underestimate yourself. I think you can handle it.

I second that! :D

nope iv never had to hide the fact im a muslimah.....like the other sisters said its kinda hard to hide it if your wearing a hijab :D

:D Wa Rahmatullah,

I know when I was a child like around 8-11ish I would feel weird because I was surrounded by only non-muslims so I didn't really make it a fact to be known that I was Muslim.

If someone asked me a question about Muslims or Islam I would say I didn't know even if I did because of not wanting to be rejected or feel "weird". If someone asked me my religion I'd just say its another one and that I'm not Christian or Jew.

Alhamdulillah now though...I have no reservations about openly proclaiming my deen.

Like those sisters who said hijaab gives it away well same for guys with the beard. It's like our trademark now Alhamdulillah!

In your case brother i suggest that if someone asks you say its true that you've been researching Islam and find it interesting. Just don't make it  a big deal. If they see that  you're not making it a big deal they won't either. of course there's going  to be a question or two. but brother I think you underestimate yourself. I think you can handle it.

Asalaam Alikum

I can handle it OK, its just when people start asking questions I get nervous and by people I mean the boys in blue.

well, it;s pretty hard for me troo as i am what people may term "opressed women" LOL...ie cover my face all in black

Didn't hide it but there were times when I didn't reveal it & its quite interesting to hear what some ppl mite say about muslims behind thier back.

well, it;s pretty hard for me troo as i am what people may term "opressed women" LOL...ie cover my face all in black

Asalaam Alikum

Don't even joke about it Sis. I get a lump in my throat when I see you Sisters in full veil. It really makes me want to cry and thank Allah that he has made the most beautiful women on earth follow the true path.

But it is hard though I must admit.

Thats really kind of you to say brother :D

llah give us all the stregnt :D

there were times when I didn't reveal it & its quite interesting to hear what some ppl mite say about muslims behind thier back.

That happened to me before i wore hijab. I was on the bus, going home from college, and an old lady sat next to me. She then started to complain about the way that "arabs with their funny clothes" had taken over london, and how her son (who was a police officer) also hated the way that they'd "infested" the capital city. She carried on with her rant, till i got off the bus. Then she said "Bye dear". Little did she know that she was talking to one of those "infesting her country"!! Subhanallah, but alhamdulillah now, with hijab there is little chance of having my identity mistaken!

I tend not to hide my religion from people. I am so thankful to be Muslim (Al'hamdulilah), I don't care what people think.

When there are bad comments being made about Islam I stand up for Islam. i cannot stand it when Islam is being bad mouthed. I thoroughly hate it.

When I was at school all my classmates knew that I was a Muslim. I've told everyone since I was in Primary school. Usually they are in awe as its something new. They ask questions, but thats about it. I find it so amazing when non-muslims are so suuportive during Ramadhan, when they are so nice as to not eat in front of me. So, I think I was respected somewhat moreso because of my religion. :D

Thus so far not hidden the truth.

Your Muslim Sis

I tend not to hide my religion from people. I am so thankful to be Muslim (Al'hamdulilah), I don't care what people think.

When there are bad comments being made about Islam I stand up for Islam. i cannot stand it when Islam is being bad mouthed. I thoroughly hate it.

When I was at school all my classmates knew that I was a Muslim. I've told everyone since I was in Primary school. Usually they are in awe as its something new. They ask questions, but thats about it. I find it so amazing when non-muslims are so suuportive during Ramadhan, when they are so nice as to not eat in front of me. So, I think I was respected somewhat moreso because of my religion. :D

Thus so far not hidden the truth.

Your Muslim Sis

tygrss can i just agree with you, i have a very similar convo at least once a week as well, cos i'm white. it's such a pain in the butt, people just cannot get into their head that you can be any colour, race, size, or shape and still be a muslim.

it's so irritating that constant, yeah but where are you really from? er...northampton actually!!!!

and i particularly love it when they ask: are you muslim? no i just go around dressed like this so that idiots can ask me if i'm muslim!!!

perleeaase :D