Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kaneeza

Eggs: Good Or Bad

MayoClinic Research:

Eggs do contain cholesterol. According to the American Heart Association, saturated fat and cholesterol in the foods you eat increase your blood cholesterol level. Although saturated fat is the main culprit, cholesterol also plays a role. Reducing the amount of saturated fat and cholesterol in your diet helps lower your blood cholesterol level.

Some research suggests that dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol in some people. But in others, it has a big effect. If you have high blood pressure or a family history of cardiovascular disease, it makes sense to limit eggs in your diet. Talk to your doctor about what's appropriate in your specific situation.

The yolk of the egg has all the cholesterol — about 212 milligrams (mg) of cholesterol. Recommendations are to limit dietary cholesterol to 300 mg a day — 200 mg a day if you have high blood cholesterol. This allows for three to four egg yolks a week. Egg whites and egg substitutes are cholesterol-free and can be used in place of whole eggs. In general, two egg whites are the equivalent of one whole egg in cooking. Check the label on egg substitutes for the equivalent.

2005 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.

PropellerAds

:D

Never been a fan of eggs but I do eat them every now and then.

Jazaki Allah kouli khier sis for sharing.

I like eggs they taste great, thank Allah! I was wondering what the level of cholestrol is contained in brown eggs cause thats what I would eat from time to time?

Fahid

Isn't there good Cholesterol too? :D

And eggs contain the good stuff too, right?

I believe I read somewhere that a maximum of 3 eggs are to be eaten in one week, correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Your muslim Sis

Al Salam Alykom,

It's good cholestrol. when I eat eggs, I try to balance it by eating yougurt or somthing to digest it faster + whatever you eat, try to burn it...don't eat greasy stuff before you go to sleep + run or jump robes.

keep it up :D

Listening to nutritionists is bad for your health... you'll starve to death! :D

i probably eat eggs about once a week...not that often.. :D

i also eat raw eggs.. yummy.

ewww......bro thats nasty! :D

Assalamu-alaykum,

Theres is no difference in cholesterol levels of brown eggs and white eggs. The color of the eggshell depends on different breeds of chickens and what they are fed.

Eating raw eggs can make you very sick, i.e. salmonella poisoning along with other bacterial infections. Don't they taste kind of slimy?

Sis Eli_chy:

Blood cholesterol can be broken down into two major parts: HDL or high-density lipoprotein and LDL, low-density lipoprotein. HDL, known as good cholesterol, helps move cholesterol back to the liver for removal from the bloodstream. LDL, referred to as the bad cholesterol, helps cholesterol stick to artery walls.

LDL is contained in the yellow of the egg. HDL is not present in eggs, thats why eating the whites is harmless.

Eggs alone wont skyrocket your cholesterol levels however, other unhealthy factors in your lifestyle (no exercise, bad eating habits, etc.) contribute far more than a few eggs a week.

Saturated fat raises blood cholesterol and LDL levels more than any other element in the diet. Saturated fat is the predominant fat in animal foods, such as butter.

Hope that answered your questions :D

i eat eggs everyday...

Same here.

i also eat raw eggs.. yummy.

You what..?! My dad made my mom do that once in exchange for something she wanted, dang she remembers that incident too clearly. :D She never describes it as yummy though. :D

Jazakallah khair for sharing sis Kaneeza. :D

Guest Serene_Melody

Interesting, I eat eggs every now and then, :D for the info.

Eatting raw eggs is more for body building is'nt it? it tastes sick but works wonders as far as i know, although there is disadvatages that have already been mentioned.