Islamic Forum
ummammaar

Islam in Bangladesh

:D

Is it true in Banglades the last/family name "Rahman" is common ??

Reason I ask is because I know quite a few bengalis whos last name ends in Rahman..

nope mine aint rahman,

I think there is a 'dorga' in sylhet where Shahjalal Rahimullah is buried.
yep i went there when i was a younger man i saw some FEAKY STUFF!

and you know while we are on the topic of bangladesh biggrin.gif.. why is it that you all call yourself bengalis and not bangladeshis? cause there is a state in India called west bengal.. and those people should be bengalis no??

because in bengali language we describe ourself commonly as "bangali" which obviosuly means is refering to bengali speakers but people like me mix bengali with english so you have bengalies the bold part is the english grammer added into a bengali word lol.

well thats what i think lol.

PropellerAds

people like me mix bengali with english so you have bengalies the bold part is the english grammer added into a bengali word lol. well thats what i think lol.
just a thought though i dont know for sure.. would it have something to do with the east and west bengal they had before or.. ??

Me is from Bangladesh too! :D :D

I have wondered about that too Bro Hasib! :D

Rahman is a common bangladeshi surname true... although non of my family are Rahman. :D What about the Miah's? :D A lot of them, moreso than Rahman, right???

Eliza

Also, 'begum' for sisters....

what does it mean anyways?

2 entries found for begum.

be·gum Audio pronunciation of "begum" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bgm, b-)

n.

1. A Muslim woman of rank.

2. Used as a form of address for such a woman.

according to dictionary

:D Bros and sisters.

So do you all know how to read and write bangla? :D :D And if you do where did you learn from?

(All those brothers and sisters in Bangladesh are most likely to know how to read and write! This question is intended for those Bengalis born and brought up in the west).

Okay, so as far as I know, there are Rahmans, Miahs, Choudhurys, Ahmeds, Khans, Ullahs what else for the male surnames?

And Begums, Khanoms, Choudhurys, Nessa, Bibis what else for the female surnames? :D

Eliza

Edited by *eli*

i can read and write bengali but with bad spelling and my reading skills rnt exellent but i can get around, i learnt it by going benali classes but gave it up after a year and half somin like that, iA when i go bangladesh i intend to learn more bengali esp to speak standard bengali.

I cant read or write bangla :D

I can understand some of the numbers.

Okay I have been waiting for this answer for ages and still cannot find one, so am hoping my Bengali brothers here will help me out, or at least try to... :D

The issue is; how can we educate the elders of the bangladeshi society without giving the impression that we're being disrespective? Its something that I have been dying to get out of my system. Especially amongst those people whom are into black magic etc. Its scary how these people are doing this kinda stuff and they believe Allah (swt) said its allowed i.e. in Qur'an.

So, how would you go about making a difference, and Insha'Allah educating people? :D

Think it would be interesting to hear your views and points on this, Insha'Allah.

JazakAllah kair.

Eliza

Eli, I know watch you mean, do you see the bengali channels on sky?, they do these programmes of tarot reading :D , and a whole bunch of other junk, not surprising though, these channels are probably owned by hindus...

Okay I have been waiting for this answer for ages and still cannot find one, so am hoping my Bengali brothers here will help me out, or at least try to... :D

The issue is; how can we educate the elders of the bangladeshi society without giving the impression that we're being disrespective? Its something that I have been dying to get out of my system. Especially amongst those people whom are into black magic etc. Its scary how these people are doing this kinda stuff and they believe Allah (swt) said its allowed i.e. in Qur'an.

So, how would you go about making a difference, and Insha'Allah educating people? :D

Think it would be interesting to hear your views and points on this, Insha'Allah.

JazakAllah kair.

Eliza

i know exactly how you feel, from experiance i can say that 1 should be able to speak bengali properly not a mish mash of english and bengali becuase the speech can sound rather rude or what i do is i speak to my mum and she says it to whom i need to address in a proper manner lol.

the elders are very materilistic and stubborn so it is EXTREAMLY difficult, if you speak they will think you are a devient muslim.

so how do you help them?

:D I dont know sorry useless post i guess.

Eli, I know watch you mean, do you see the bengali channels on sky?, they do these programmes of tarot reading :D , and a whole bunch of other junk, not surprising though, these channels are probably owned by hindus...

EXACTLY BROTHER So infuriating to say the least! I feel like calling them up and asking if they're hindu or muslim? And if they're muslim to start giving them a whole lecture! but the phone bill won't be very appealing so I restrain myself :D

And bro slave your post wasn't useless at all. :D for replying. Insha'Allah between us we will come up with some ideas.

:D for replying and think of some ideas to help me and others, Insha'Allah.

Eliza

Assalamu alaikum,

Maybe try talking to them in English? It's irritating, cause in a way you do know more than them because you grew up here.

EXACTLY BROTHER So infuriating to say the least! I feel like calling them up and asking if they're hindu or muslim? And if they're muslim to start giving them a whole lecture! but the phone bill won't be very appealing so I restrain myself :D

And bro slave your post wasn't useless at all. :D for replying. Insha'Allah between us we will come up with some ideas.

:D for replying and think of some ideas to help me and others, Insha'Allah.

Eliza

The only way to stop these channels is to teach the subcribers about Islam and why we shouldn't watch these channels. The channels don't care about the content, all that matters to them is $$$ in the end.

So very true. If thats the case then its not likely they'll give it up! Otherwise, I am sure most people know its haraam? :D

This is whats annoying and irritating too. How people are willing to do almost ANYTHING to earn money. Doesn't matter whethe or not its halal. And in some cases they also make the unlawful, lawful by making excuses and coming up with lame reasons! :D :D

Speaking in english wouldn't really work with some elders, as some of them don't even udnerstand english properly!!! I think we need Bengali speakers, someone in touch with 'their' world, i.e. traditional bangladesh. And through that voice speak Islam, Insha'Allah. Thats the ONLY way i think people will listen.

Ponder on this thought:

You speak long hard words to a 3 year old, will they listen and understand??? :D Most likely NO. Is it likely that our elders will listen to us if we speak Bangla with a Birmingham, London, Manchester (etc) accent? No. This is what I have noticed. :D

Eliza

Edited by *eli*

Im Bengali... Born in london ... Home Country Bangladesh :D

Meh 3 channels Of Bangladesh Channels

i am orgin from bangladesh

and my family ( well my dads part ) have had great hafiz in their line in bangladesh with one of my grandads student who has become a very well known (where lots of people from around sylhet and so on go into molubazaar just to see him :D he also travels to UK and so on to give preys)

also i have just come back from bangladesh a few months ago

and had the privilidge of being there during eid a couple of years ago.

during eid it is a great time to be there when everyone gathers for the eid prey(which unlike when in a Masjid is done outside in a special place )

the sound of the iman and the sound echoing through the croud always had a warm feeling to it)

Libya-born Bangladeshi. : )

also i have just come back from bangladesh a few months ago

and had the privilidge of being there during eid a couple of years ago.

during eid it is a great time to be there when everyone gathers for the eid prey(which unlike when in a Masjid is done outside in a special place )

the sound of the iman and the sound echoing through the croud always had a warm feeling to it)

Sounds awesome ! : )

Assalamu'Alikum,

Uddin is also a very popular Bengali surname.

Akhie Imran i know what you mean...i was on my comouter once and i heard this woman do exactly what you describe....made me sick!!

Fee Amanillah.

Edited by Ehsan

Salam everyone!

I too am Bengali. I was born in Dhaka and lived there for 3 years. Now I live in the USA.

My mother was born and raised in Chitagong and my father was born and raised in Gazipur. I was born in a Dhaka hospital.

I remember there being a lot of poverty in cities. I got a chance to visit Bangladesh only once in 1999. When I got out of the airport, I saw people begging for money. I even saw a little girl begging for money! It broke my heart to see such a thing. Insha Allah, I hope that all poverty is wiped out someday.

Also, I have a very important question. How can I trace my ancestors from that region? I am very curious when it comes to history, and I would like to trace my lineage to the deepest roots. Anyways, I'm just wondering about this so if you have any ideas please post!

Salam,

Sam

Assalamualaikum,

I am from Bangladesh (Alhamdulillah) but I live in New York City. I spent few years in Bangladesh before coming back to US. I consider myself a Muslim Bengali American. I love Bangladesh so much but I am so tired of the government in Bangladesh. My mother held a high position in the party in power and as a kid I was involved in a lot of functions that the political party held. The party was not as corrupted as the opposing party. Tired of the political ## and also dangers she faced from opposing party my mother left and brought me and my brother to live in the US and live with my dad.

anyways about Islam in Bangladesh. Most people dont follow Islam at all or are radicals. There are very few normal Muslims in there. The country was recently under attack by Militant Muslims who killed many innocent people.

The country is very corrupt and it is very unsafe. People gets killed left and right.

I will write more later on.

Assalamu alaykum

im from Bangladesh, my homeland, my love, well yes i agree it is a curropted one but theres only one reason behind it and it is government and polictics. The roots arent good how we expect all other things is good, well after my birth i raised in saudi arabia, i sent my childhood there, i dont know anything about bangladeshi politics at depth but it shocks me when i watch Bangladeshi satellite channel and observe their system

A president is a hero of a country.........i always pray to Allah(swt) to gift us a Government and prime minister which is off course a male at first, secondly as i states before a president or lets talk about a prime is a hero of a certain country, if he is right everyone will follow him. thirdly, If he has all the knowledges of Islam(Quran and hadeeth) and take it and try his best to implement it as his way of life bangladesh going to change.

If a prime minister visit in every cities's grand Masjid each friday and delivery his sermon about Islam, tell peoles about reading and understanding Quran and hadeeth, raise awareness about the day of judgement, the next world, the Islamic hahriah law i hope Insallah it wil change

thnak you

May Allah bless us and guide us to the straight path

Assalamu alaykum

Sorry to all brothers and sisters as i mistyped some words in my post :D

i hope you will understand

May Allah bless us and guide us to the straight path. ameen

Sister in Islam,

Bangladesh is a beautiful country with a very rich langauage, cultural heritage and glorious past. Bengalis are very poetic in nature-they love all nice hues of life.

You are slightly wrong sister.Untill 1947 Bangladesh was a province of British India and called East Bengal.East Bengal became East Pakistan after the partition of 1947- It was forced to go with Pakistan on the ground of religion and nasty hindu politics- that always devide people and rule.

Bangladesh ( then East Pakistan) is 1200 miles away from Pakistan. United pakistan was formed out of a big gulf. Though both part is muslim majority- but they speak different language, they have different cultures and tastes. So this unitedness on religious ground did not work.

Bengalies were majority in number but mainland pakistani leaders never wanted to give the Bengalies their rights to form government though the Bengalies won majority seasts in the elections and also the general elections of 1969. East Pakistan was industrially developed and was an economic power house for Pakistan-but Pakistani leaders deprived Bangladesh of their due share of development and they channelled most econmic benifits westwards. They even tried to impose Urdu language to be the state language of East Pakistan, though majority people speak in Bengali- there was a big fight over language in Dhaka in 1952 and several students were shot dead.

Out of all these frustation Bengalies revolted in 1969 and finally things became worst in March 1971 when Pakistani Junta Ayub Khan sent military forces in Dhaka and started an unprovoked massacre to suppress the uprising. War started. All section of people took part apart from few Islamic parties who collaborated with the Pakistani rulers during the war- and still regarded as anti people. Bangladesh became independent on 16 december in 1971.

Bangladesh a is fascinating subject for those who love to see and read about peoples aspiration and relentless struggle aganst nature, political parasites and external forces. Bengalies never give up.

For more information on Bengal and Bangladesh please visit:

(www.)virtualbangla

esh/history/]

(www.)bangla2000###

##/bangladesh/history.shtm]

Salam,

Bangladesh. The majority are muslims 85% and the rests are hindus, christians and Buddists.

Was part on India till 1947 when it was known as East Pakistan, as the british named the majority muslim area as east/west Pakistan, while the majority hindu area was India.

Became independant from Pakistan in 1970/2?? and now is called Bnagladesh.

Ooh well i tried not very good at history.