Islamic Forum
ummammaar

Islam in Bangladesh

Sister in Islam,

Bangladesh is a beautiful country with a very rich langauage, cultural heritage and glorious past. Bengalis are very poetic in nature-they love all nice hues of life.

You are slightly wrong sister.Untill 1947 Bangladesh was a province of British India and called East Bengal.East Bengal became East Pakistan after the partition of 1947- It was forced to go with Pakistan on the ground of religion and nasty hindu politics- that always devide people and rule.

Bangladesh ( then East Pakistan) is 1200 miles away from Pakistan. United pakistan was formed out of a big gulf. Though both part is muslim majority- but they speak different language, they have different cultures and tastes. So this unitedness on religious ground did not work.

Bengalies were majority in number but mainland pakistani leaders never wanted to give the Bengalies their rights to form government though the Bengalies won majority seasts in the elections and also the general elections of 1969. East Pakistan was industrially developed and was an economic power house for Pakistan-but Pakistani leaders deprived Bangladesh of their due share of development and they channelled most econmic benifits westwards. They even tried to impose Urdu language to be the state language of East Pakistan, though majority people speak in Bengali- there was a big fight over language in Dhaka in 1952 and several students were shot dead.

Out of all these frustation Bengalies revolted in 1969 and finally things became worst in March 1971 when Pakistani Junta Ayub Khan sent military forces in Dhaka and started an unprovoked massacre to suppress the uprising. War started. All section of people took part apart from few Islamic parties who collaborated with the Pakistani rulers during the war- and still regarded as anti people. Bangladesh became independent on 16 december in 1971.

Bangladesh a is fascinating subject for those who love to see and read about peoples aspiration and relentless struggle aganst nature, political parasites and external forces. Bengalies never give up.

For more information on Bengal and Bangladesh please visit:

(www.)virtualbangla

esh/history/]

(www.)bangla2000###

##/bangladesh/history.shtm]

Assalamu'Alaykum. Thank you for your beautiful reply Insaan. I lived in Bangladesh for 10 years. I currently live in New York City. I have noticed that many posts on this forum were generalizing about Islam and Muslims in Bangladesh (doing the same thing we are asking others not to do). For example, Bangladesh is NOT a country where there are only Muslim radicals and secularists. There are many practising, moderate Muslims (hey I am one) just like there are practising Muslim youth in the Europe and America. Neither is it fair to focus solely on the negative aspects of the Bangladeshi politics. Bangladesh is one of the very few Muslim countries in the world that have parliamentary democracy. And here is a very interesting thing that I have noted comparig B'desh to other Muslim countries: it has a judicial system that allows Muslims to pick Muslim Law, and Hindus to pick Hindu Law, and so forth, in family courts. If you have appreciation for legal systems, you would consider this a huge accomplishment because it recognizes the need for tolerance and gurantess minority rights in a diverse country. For the sake of comparision, the US justice system has a single law for a diverse group of people.

Bengalis are a strong believer in freedom. I cannot empashize how much they love freedom. You have to live in Bangladesh to actually grasp their passion for freedom. I think one of the main reasons for this is because the Pakistani military genocided 3 million people and raped 500,000 women during the Independent war in 1971! Freedom was hard won. So, they will never submit to dictatorship. Did you know that exclusively ALL Muslim countries supported Pakistan--both financially and morally--when these atrocities were being committed? We are Muslims--we should be most knowledgeable and lovers of justice--and condemn injustice wherever and by whoever it is being committed.

Bangladesh is the third largest Musim country in the world. Bengalis are also Allah-fearing and Allah-loving people. Many knowledgeable Alims and Sufis have emerged from Bangladesh. The Jamats (congregational prayers) held in Bangladesh are some of the biggest in the whole world. Nearly 80% of the population are farmers (and not very rich), but they are very simple minded and not materialistic. Once again, the corruption of a few politician is somehow managing to reflect on the general population.

Once I came to the US, I have studied Bangladeshi government, hitory and culture in realtion to Islam. Bangladesh is not a country without faults. But we must understand these in its context I love the people in Bangladesh so much. Just on an end note, when the tsunami was raging across the Indian ocean, one of its prime target was the coasts of Bangladesh. But for some reason it jut subsidized when it approached Bangladesh although it devastated the neighboring country of India. And Allah is Always with the Muslims inshallah.

Let me know if you want to know anything else about Bangladesh.

Peace

PropellerAds

Assalamualaikum brothers and sisters

In Bangladesh we have selective Islam. The problem lies in the inability to recognize Islam as a complete ideology, a system, a way of life. For most Bangladeshi muslims, Islam is just a set of rituals, belief in Allah, pray 5 times, fast 1 month, pay some zakaat and when one grows old, go for hajj. Now most of those who perform these rituals do these just for the sake of it, and dont see a connection between worshipping Allah and their day to day lives. The problem is the inability to apply Islam in their day to day lives. The belief is that as long as one performs these rituals, one is fulfilling his responsibility. People fail to realize how these are not just rituals, but habits/qualities that make us better human beings.

Hence, people say Allah with their tongue, but dont have Him in their hearts. The mullahs are responsible for this aswell. They themselves are not properly educated, dont have sufficient understanding of Islam and Allah and hence are incapable of helping other people understand real Islam. All they do is say that to be muslim you have to do this this this and you cant do this this this without explaining the logic behind such rules. Thus general people tend to look at Islam as just a mere set of rules and regulations. Some people are too scared to question these rules and follow them partially without understanding much, while others who are a bit rebellious reject them. This is the trend in general people in Dhaka.

Since the parents themselves were not properly educated about Islam by the Islamic Scholars in Bangladesh, they were unable to teach their children anything substantial about the religion.

Hence there has been a substantial decline in Islamic values in the youth. They have muslim names, when asked about religion say that Islam is their religion but know very little about it, hardly pray regularly, some pray once every Friday, some pray twice every Eid.

Although Bangladesh is regardes as one of the largest muslim populations in the world, the state of Islam is quite poor.

We need educational reform, enlightened leadeds and scholars who understand Islam properly and are able to explain to people how by practising Islam, one can become a better human being, acheive peace of heart, peace of mind, reach a state of tranquility, find God in one's hearts, develop high moral and ethical values. Proper Islamic education is required, not just memorizing the Quran and suras. And Islamic education has to be properly balanced with other education aswell so that the people dont find themselves as misfits in the bigger world.

May Allah help us bring these changes in Bangladesh and all over the muslim world, so that Islam again may rule.

Salaam BlackWarrior and welcome to the forum,

thank you for your input. i don't know much about the state of Islamic scholarship in bangladesh. i had a 'hojoor' (master) who taught me how to read the quran. he had memorized the whole quran. but he talked very little about anything else. you seem to know much about Islam. if you want to learn more about Islam, do you have access to good scholars. where do the Islamic scholars get their education from? i mean do they travel abroad to seek knowledge?

peace

Asslamu alaykum

Absulotely correct!! i accept with brother black warrior but here no one has to be blamed, we need good education system and off course political orientation in modern times in Bangladesh is cumbersome. If general people aware of their "Din" Insallah Bangladesh will become laudable Muslim country.

May Allah bless us and guide us into the correct path

wassalam

I love my motherland. I am proud to be a Bangladeshi.

I know a lots of problem over there...still, we are happy.

We need a true Islamic country, but the environment have to be fixed...

The culture of bf,gf...can be fixed from family...but I think each and every country have some lackings .. (can you say, saudi ppl don't do any Illagel relationship ??? )

I love my motherland. I am proud to be a Bangladeshi.

I know a lots of problem over there...still, we are happy.

We need a true Islamic country, but the environment have to be fixed...

The culture of bf,gf...can be fixed from family...but I think each and every country have some lackings .. (can you say, saudi ppl don't do any Illagel relationship ??? )

Asslamu alaykum

My brother frost it is recommended for muslims to offer salam to another muslim :D

hmm i agree with some of ur point, i born in Bangladesh, im a Bangladeshi but we should all proud to be only being Muslim......

i also agree that in every community theres a reckless and unprincipled reprobate. as u said saudi ppl do have illegal relationship, not saudi , u may have typed some people in saudi have illegal relationship...........

Insallah Bangladesh wil become a true Islamic country provided the political system changed as soon as possible. are you familier with this website www.khilafat(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

wassalam :D

Edited by Risalat

Asslamu alaykum

you are welcome my dear brother

Jazakallah khair

yes i do love my country, the land i born and i also do have the same towards the other lands as all are from Allah :D

are you familier with this website (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.khilafat(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]www.khilafat(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url]

wassalam

And our Mohammad SW also told "Desh prem iman er ongo :D "

did our beloved Prophet say that? because that's really interesting. could you cite the source of this hadith? wasalaam.

did our beloved Prophet say that? because that's really interesting. could you cite the source of this hadith? wasalaam.

Well, :D Sorry, may be its not hadith :D or may be ayaht from Quran...But something sure I heard it from Islamic source...that "patriotism is part of Iman"

- Assalamu alaikum

:D ever since the revolution of 1971, the political parties with an Islamic ideology have received very few seat in the parliament. this might be because the Islamic parties have failed to seperate themselves from the "ragakar" and "albadar"-- "islamic" groups that have opposed the liberation war and wanted to stay with pakistan as one nation. what is the ideology of the contemporary Islamic parties regarding this matter? also, do you think the complete corruption of the government over the last few decades will boost the Islamic parties' popularity over the next few election cycles to the point that they could actually run the government? sounds a little far-fetched to me but what do you think?

wasalaam

:D

just got back from bangladesh- i cant belive a practising person can feel like such a 'guraba' in a "muslim country"...whislt bangladesh is advancing technologically the youth are suffering from its poison i.e the internet and mobile phones... many now find it easy to have girls etc thanks to mobile phones.

bida is widespread as expected...in general Islam is very weak.

Assalamu Alaikum my brothers and sisters in Islam

I am a person who follows the guidance of Allah through the Quran and Sunnah...hence I am commonly referred to as a "Muslim".

Sorry, the only reason I’ve introduced myself like that is because words aren’t really the important thing here...

I was born on a piece of Allah's land called "England" ...

and my parents were born on soil that was given man-made borders and given the name "East Pakistan" and later in their lives renamed to "Bangladesh" ...

The thing is I completely understand that the culture, traditions and language from that part of the world is VERY important in my life...just as the culture, traditions and language from another part of the world is equally important...the thing to note here is that I don’t think it is correct to put any preference of one part of Allah's earth, what you call yourself or the nation that you came from.

So to say that im "Bangladeshi" or "English" or British" or anything else with a passion is wrong in my opinion. I do not think I would even flinch if ALL the people of Bangladesh were perfectly and comfortably relocated elsewhere in the world and that part of Allah's world disappeared!

And you know why? Its because it all belongs to Allah and its not the region that’s important...its the continuing of His deen that should matter the most.

I bring this up because I have heard so often the debate over "My country is better than yours"...and I find it amusing but troubling.

But regarding the topic of this thread I do think that the people in that general region do indeed need dawah. Once true Islamic knowledge can be attained and the bad parts of the culture removed then I can see that that region of the world will flourish!

InshaAllah one day that can happen.

Regards,

Your brother in Islam,

Salam

Assalamu alaykum

Can anyone help me out with "Assalamu alaikum" almost everyone in Bangladesh use "Assalamu alaikum" end of the conversation instead offering salam, what is your say on this? in fact i never seen any arabs and muslims from other countries using it and i guess there isnt any hadeeth or Quranic verse that talks about "Assalamu alaikum" it makes me confuse when i have to deal with my fellow Bangladeshis in my campus.....

wassalam

Yes, Ive heard loads of Pakistanis and Indians saying it aswll. Its just the equivilent of the arabic phrase Fi-Amanillah, meaning I leave you in the care of Allah

Whereas Assalamu alaikum means May Allah take care of you.

I have noticed that it smostly elders who say it at the end of conversations or meetings.

Jazakallah khair for your response sister

wassalam

I have noticed that it smostly elders who say it at the end of conversations or meetings.

Really? I have noticed people from all age using that phrase, not just the elders.

Yes your probably have bro. But i'm talking about people I've come across.

Thats not to say I have never said it, i have! aswell as ending a convo with :D / :D or Fi-Amanillah.

Assalamu Alaikum.....

I havnt read all the posts so i might repeat some parts. what i have seen from my roots is that theres a lot of culture mixed in the deen.... ther maybe some practicng muslims who dont do this, but i havnt come across any. And yeh, bangladesh is one of the most corrupt countries?... why is that?..... its bloody run by a woman, who apparently goes on hajj and umrah regularly?? huh whats all that about shes surrounded by dudes 24/7. and she refuses the hadith about how a woman should never rule a country, she made prostitution and gambling legal which are haram, and this is from a muslim (?) Bangladeshi muslims seem to make 2 many bidahs and mixed other religions like hinduism.... hear there are lot of shias there too.

I cant stand bangladesh!

alaykum salam

sis AQEEDAH

hear there are lot of shias there too.

That's something new to me. Are you sure it's true? How much is 'a lot'?

That's something new to me. Are you sure it's true? How much is 'a lot'?

Assalamu alaykum

Shias are very few in Bangladesh!!! yah its true there are many bidah stuffs which only can be removed by a true muslim leader Insallah. :D

wassalam

Something else that ive heard and seen in Bangladesh is that some people has belief in "peer" (spiritual leader...or something). I dont have much knowledge on this issue but to me this just seems wrong. Along with this belief comes some weird practices that ive heard from....(placing a tray of food in front the picute of their "peer" out respect....and much more....

Certain things in Bangladesh just done make sense to me. Islam is universal and culture is just something that differs from one country to another....and often complications occurs when they both overlap...

Something else that ive heard and seen in Bangladesh is that some people has belief in "peer" (spiritual leader...or something).

its true, there are piiirs stuff in Bangladesh and some peoples in rural area follow these liers, they claim themselves to be special friend of God and ask people to worship them, they say the only way to reach to God is through them(piirs)

acutally it is prevailing still becoz of the lack of education, most of the followers are uneducated and have no knowledge of Islam, it is not only in Bangladesh but also in some parts of india and pakistan.

wassalam

Edited by zabrina

I am a Bangladeshi and I am proud to be one! Every country has good side as well as dark side. To speak the truth, it is politics that has destroyed us: the filthy politics! I wished sth like French revolution occurs!

hey salam

Watsup?!!

just joind 2 days bak

came 2 bd a month bak

toooooooooooooooo many moskitos here...

da gr8 thing is dat there r so many things to c on da road!!!!!!!

i love it!!!!

SALAM!!!!!

da gr8 thing is dat there r so many things to c on da road!!!!!!!

Like what?