~ The Myth And Reality ~

:D / Peace To All

'Women In Islam Versus Women In The Judeo-Christian Tradition'

A- Mothers

B- Female Inheritance

C- Plight of Widows

D- Polygamy

E- The Veil.

"Your Lord Has Decreed That You Worship None But Him, And That You Be Kind To Parents. Whether One Or Both Of Them Attain Old Age In Your Life, Say Not To Them A Word Of Contempt, Nor Repel Them, But Address Them In Terms Of Honor. And Out Of Kindness, Lower To Them The Wing Of Humility, And Say 'My Lord! Bestow On Them Your Mercy As They Cherished Me In Childhood.'"

(The Glorious Qur'an- 17: 23-24)...

* "Father Eugene Hillman in his insightful book, 'Polygamy Reconsidered,' no where in the New Testament is there any Explicit Command that Marriage should be Monogamous or any Explicit Command Forbidding Polygamy."

* "The Talmud Advises a Maximum of 4 Wives."

* "One can, safely say that the Rate of Polygamous Marriages in the Muslim World is Much Less than the Rate of Extra Marital Affairs in the West. In other words, men in the Muslim World today are far more strictly Monogamous than men in the Western World."

* "King Solomon is said to have had 700 Wives and 300 Concubines" (Kings 11:13)

* "David had Many Wives and Concubines." (Samuel 5:13)

* "According to Rabbi Dr. Menachem M. Brayer (Professor of Biblical Literature at Yeshiva University) in his Book, 'The Jewish Woman In Rabbinic Literature,' it was the Custom of Jewish Women to go out in Public with a Head Covering which sometimes, even covered the whole face leaving one eye free. He quotes some famous ancient Rabbis saying, 'It's not like the Daughters of israel to walk out with heads uncovered,' and 'Cursed is the Man who lets the hair of his Wife be seen,' 'A Woman who Exposes her Hair for Self-Adornment Brings Poverty.'"

* "St. Tertullian in his famous treatise 'On the Veiling of Virgins' wrote, Young Women, You Wear Your Veils Out On The Streets, So You Should Wear Them In The Church, You Wear Them When You Are Among Strangers, Then Wear Them Among Your Brothers.'"

* "Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of christ is God. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonours his head. and every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonours her head- it is just as though her head were shaved off, she should cover her head. A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.'" (Corinthians, 11: 3-10)

The Full Article Can Be Read At:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_themodernreligion(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/women/w_comparison_full2.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_themodernreligion(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/women/w_comparison_full2.htm[/url]

PropellerAds

:D

Wa Iyyakum Insha Allah, Brother...It Was My Pleasure

Grace and Peace Thezman,

Yes, this is a very interesting post. I can give my thoughts...

With regard to polygamy, it is clear to every Christian what our tradition teaches who reflects on Sacred Scriptures.

This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre; Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless. Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things. Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. - 1 Timothy 3:1-12

It is Christian Tradition to recognize that the members of the Church are a Holy Priesthood. Every member, even the Laity, must conform to what admonishments are given in Sacred Scripture. This is nothing new in Christianity. If we look to Sacred Scripture we see what it tells us about the requirements of Deacons and Bishops and we learn where Christians are to take only one wife. As a Holy Priesthood, every Christian is instructed to be as Bishops (Priests). To be blameless. Christianity was a call to all to be more devout than what the Law would allow. To me more. Unfortunately, many have taken this to be less and that is most grievous.

Peace 4 Real.

Edited by Ignatius

Peace Ignatius :D

I thank yoy for your kind reply. I'd like to pose 2 questions, you had stated that

every member of the church must conform to what admonishments  are given in the sacred scriptures

What of the mormons who marry many wives?

Also you spoke of:

If we look to the scared scripture we see what it tells us about the requirements of Deacons and Bishops and we learn where Christians are to take only one wife

The Clergical Hierarchy in the Catholic Church do not marry, not even one wife as you have stated. What is the ruling pertaining to them?

Peace Ignatius  :D

I thank yoy for your kind reply.

Grace and Peace thezman,

You are most suredly welcome. I have greatly enjoyed reading your posts.

I'd like to pose 2 questions, you had stated that

What of the mormons who marry many wives?

The Catholic Church does not recognize Mormon's as part of the Christian Church not even in part as separated brethren as many of our Protestant Brothers and Sisters. This is because they teach grave errors in doctrine and have added to Sacred Scripture with "The Book of Mormon". This makes them Heretics and thus people in apostasy from the Church of Christ. Until they repent of their errors, the Church of Christ is not in the position to recognize them as brethren but we continue to engage in dialog with them in hopes that their errors will be recognized and reconciliation will be achieved. Amen.

Also you spoke of:

The Clergical Hierarchy in the Catholic Church do not marry, not even one wife as you have stated. What is the ruling pertaining to them?

This is a common fallacy for many who fail to recognize the many different Rites within the Catholic Church.

The first thing one must understand is that not all Priests in the Catholic Church take Vows of Celibacy. In fact, only Priest within the Roman or Latin Rite of the Catholic Church take this Vow as a required discipline with their Priestly Ordinance.

With regard to the guidelines found in Sacred Scripture, it has never been taught that one seeking the Priesthood or Deaconate “has†to be married only “if†they are married they should have only “one†wife and this limitation has been extended to the members of the Laity as well.

Within the Catholic Church, marriage is a sacrament (a outward sign of an inward grace instituted by God) and the Church recognizes it only between “one†man and “one†woman. This is the teaching of the Magisterium which is the highest teaching office of the Church and must be recognized as authoritative and certain.

Peace 4 Real.

Peace Bro Ignatius,

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind words towards me as I also do enjoy reading your posts :D

Thank you for answering my query

It's also worth mentioning that, in Islam, women are allowed, although not obligated, to attend the Masjid for salat and participate in the activities and programs of the Masjid. However, in 1 Corinthians of the New Testament it is written:

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.blueletterbible(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/kjv/1Cr/1Cr014.html"]Source[/url]

I don't post that to provoke any debate...but merely to show that Islam is in full accordance with, and exceeds the rights granted to women by, previous revelations.

Some people just don't know and that, because it's said a woman's prayer is better at home, that Islam oppresses women...when in reality it conforms to the almighty standards.

AS

* "King Solomon is said to have had 700 Wives and 300 Concubines" (Kings 11:13)

* "David had Many Wives and Concubines." (Samuel 5:13)

Funny how these 2 scriptures do not even exist in the Bible.

* "Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of christ is God. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonours his head. and every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonours her head- it is just as though her head were shaved off, she should cover her head. A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.'" (Corinthians, 11: 3-10)

This is not to be taken literally, but to have relevance as to how you pray to God through Christ as your mediator, the one who links man to God.

"Marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four... " Sura 4:3