Islamic Forum
Abdurahman

Do You Give Up Your Seat

Do you give up your seat on the bus or train for others.  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give up your seat on the bus or train for others.

• Yes, always
    • When i feel like it
    • Only for the old and crippled
    • ermm... NO

salaam

basically if you use public transport do you or would you give up your seat for someone?

this is what goes on in my head when thinking about giving up my seat

Nafs 1:give up your seat abdurahman, inshallah you will be rewarded :D

Nafs 2:but i am tired, ive had a long day :no:

Nafs 1:but think about the reward and the good feeling :j:

Nafs 2:what about the agonizing pain for standing up for 40 min coupled with the 30 mins walk home, its Murder :sl:

Nafs 1: I paid for my ticket why should i get up :sl:

PropellerAds

:sl: wr wb

Yeah :no: I give up my seat on the bus for others.Especially an old person. :D

Give them a :j: too

:sl: wr wb

Assalamu Alaikum, br. Abdurahman, your signature says it all. I always used to give up my seat to elderly and moms with children or Pregnant women or anyone who seemed to need it more than me when I used the Buses and Subways.

Salaams.

Assalamu alaikum

yes i would definitely give up my seat for those weaker than I.

its a good feeling when someone gives up their seat for you, someone did that for me once and i still remember it.

:sl:

Yeap, I definitely give my seat when its necessary (i.e. elderly, etc.)

Edited by Hira (Devout)

Salamu alaykum,

i give my seat when i see old people. :sl:

Yes I'd do so in the presence of the elderly and pregnant women. In addition, usually if there is an empty seat, I'd only take it if noone else is standing.

I wish more people would incorporate some form of this courtesy this into their social etiquette, as the world would be a nicer place to live in. :no:

Only for an old couple, a crippled person or a pregnant lady. and I guess maybe for a person who looked really worn out :sl:

Third option - for the elderly, pregnant, cripled and passengers alike :sl:

Asalaamu Alaykum

Third option - for the elderly, pregnant, cripled and passengers alike :sl:

Same as sis Aamina..

Don't usually sit around places where you have to give up your place especially upstairs when in the bus...

Am the only one who put down when i feel like so...lol

Peace,

Haha great question! It's one of those moral dilemma's I get plagued by most days. I only have 2 stops (around 5 mins tops) on the underground between where I live and my office so it doesn't really matter to me whether I sit or if I stand, however obviously if there's a seat free I'd marginally prefer to be sitting over standing. However if enough people get on the one stop between my home and my office I still have the problem of how best to be polite. Obviously if a lady gets on the train who is over 40(ish) I give up my seat without thinking about it, or if it's a man who looks over 60(ish) that's a no-brainer. However it gets tricky anywhere before that. I was always brought up that as a man I should give up my seat for a lady, but that brings its own problems. If for example I give up my seat for a lady my own agegroup (i.e. mid-twenties) then I would fear that the person for whom I was giving up my seat would think I was trying to be flirtatious or something. (Which would not be my motivation at all.) On the other hand, if I didn't give up my seat I would feel ungentlemanly. So it's a lose-lose situation. The same applies (but worse again!) in the case of ladies who are 30+. If I give up my seat for them they might think I'm trying to be flirtatious, or equally as bad they might think that I'm implying that they look old by offering them my seat. Then again if I don't give them the seat then again I feel ungentlemanly.

The only part-solution I've found is that I make sure I'm the very last person to get on the train at my stop, then if the seats are mostly taken then I just remain standing because I know those seats will probably be filled up at the next station.

salaam

its mostly in the west that impoliteness has grown. old courtisies are gone. no more mr this or mrs that. doors dont open for women. seats arent offered to old, infirm, pregnant, etc. people eat with hands, not cutlery, mobiles interrupt conversation, etc, etc, etc...

Islam , and religion has the pull to bring back manners. it is this purpouseful campaign against western christianity and eastern Islam, that is lowering moral standards. who is to blame? zionism.

salams

I usually give up my seat if the person ain't too scary :sl:

Peace sudden,

its mostly in the west that impoliteness has grown. old courtisies are gone. no more mr this or mrs that. doors dont open for women. seats arent offered to old, infirm, pregnant, etc. people eat with hands, not cutlery, mobiles interrupt conversation, etc, etc, etc...

Nah. I think the majority of the riff-raff who worked in coal mines, steel mills, woolen mills, farmhands and the likes have always been impolite yobo's. The fact they now wear suits and work in call-centres can't change 200 years of swearing on the factory floor. If you want an honest opinion I reckon as a proportion of society the same number will be polite today as were 200 years ago.

Islam , and religion has the pull to bring back manners. it is this purpouseful campaign against western christianity and eastern Islam, that is lowering moral standards. who is to blame? zionism.

I reckon parenting might have a little more to do with it than Zionism... (If you were joking you did make me smile)

If they seem rude i dont, some people just look at you in a rude manner expecting you to give up your seat just cos of some grey hair.

Assalam Alaikum

For OLD ppl and if I see tht someone is standing for long time thn also i give up my seat :sl:

May Allah swt guide us all on the right path.. ameen

Guest amani

i dont use public transport much but when then yes if the person is in need of a seat.

Assalamualikum

Yeah I always give up my seat for an old person, I feel bad seeing them standing up in a bus.

I voted for the second option - Only when I feel like it.

The reason I voted for this is that it was the best option for my reasons...........let me explain.

I would give up my seat for woman (any age), an elderly or disabled person, or a child.

Also, if I am on a train or bus and am standing and a seat becomes available...........I will stay standing as one of the above may board the transport at the next stop and require a seat. That could backfire of course and a guy could grab a seat, but hey win some you lose some!! lol

At the min people give up their sit for me. :no:

Why you ask?

Cause I'm on crutches.When an old person gets up for me I'm like noo keep sitted hehe and I stay standed up.

Subhanallah in any event especially tough ones. :j:

Edited by Aaqib Ahmed

No... lol

my reason, because i havent used public transport in ages and i drive.. so i give them lifts, no matter what they say, i will NOT give my driving seat to them :sl:

No... lol

my reason, because i havent used public transport in ages and i drive.. so i give them lifts, no matter what they say, i will NOT give my driving seat to them :j:

:no:

Same here, I usually drive and that means I can't give my seat up. :sl: But the area I live in has a big Muslim community, so I always give a lift to women I see walking. Some of them are old and suffer many health problems, which makes me feel really sad that they have no choice but to walk miles in order to buy things for themselves or visit people.

I give it up voluntarily sometimes if there is room for me to go somewhere else. (Not so crowded that it is hard to even move.) However, I do no like it when I am asked to do so, especially if it's not concerning an elderly and the person can easily find any other seat because of these ahadith from Riyad Al-Saliheen: Chapter 129:

Etiquette of Attending company and sitting with Companions:

825. Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said,[using large font size is not allowed] "Do not ask someone to give up his seat in order to take it, but make accommodation wide and sit at ease.''[using large font size is not allowed] It was Ibn `Umar's habit that if a person left his seat for him, he would not take it.[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].[using large font size is not allowed]

826. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said,[using large font size is not allowed] "If someone leaves his seat (for one reason or another) and returns to it, he is better entitled to it.''[using large font size is not allowed]

[Muslim].[using large font size is not allowed]

Edited by ummammaar