Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alma

The Right To Vote

Peace,

please, could any of you give me the source of the right to vote for women, given by Islam to women, is it is in the quran or hadiths or where?

Thank you

PropellerAds

Peace!

The matter of voting itself is controversial, as can be seen from the detailed answer at (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=974&dgn=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...se&QR=974&dgn=4[/url]. A Muslim can only vote provided he/she is knowledgeable aboutthe subject/person being voted for, must have sound Islamic knowledge to ensure that the subject of the voting is in accordance with Islam. Islam does not have one-man-one-vote concept as that necessarily puts a wise and knowledegeable person at par with one who is not.

As for women voting, I do not see any difference, personally, between the genders as long as the above conditions are met.

Peace out.

Peace,

I see, thansk you Aburafay.

Then, there is no such a source, verse or hadith I supposse?

You have a beautiful signature

Edited by Alma

Peace,

I see, thansk you Aburafay.

Then, there is no such a source, verse or hadith I supposse?

You have a beautiful signature

Peace Alma!

I am sorry, I did not understand what conclusion you have drawn. I hope it is the right one!

The Qur'an and hadith do not deal with every little thing. We have to draw interpretations at times. For example, the right to vote is as I have mentioned is for the knowledgeable individuals, and not for all and sundry. This is from the evidence that whenever an issue neede a vote, only the people present and in the know were asked to vote. It was never a general ballot or referendum.

As for women, they were not present with the men, so they did not vote. But, I am sure that if neede, they would cast votes as there were some fairly knowledgeable amongst them. Ayesha (may Allah be pleased with her) was considered as a knowledge-base.

Peace out.

PS : The signature is a quotation (in my own words) of something that comes from Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) who was the son in law of the Prophet :D and the fourth Caliph.

Peace Abufaray,

I am sorry, I did not understand what conclusion you have drawn. I hope it is the right one!

I meant that there is no a specific verse of the Quran or a specific hadit giving women the righ to vote.

The Qur'an and hadith do not deal with every little thing. We have to draw interpretations at times. For example, the right to vote is as I have mentioned is for the knowledgeable individuals, and not for all and sundry. This is from the evidence that whenever an issue neede a vote, only the people present and in the know were asked to vote. It was never a general ballot or referendum.
Please, from where did you extract that interpretaion? The link you gave me just say this in regards to voting: " 6. Discussing sharee‘ah in parliament and voting on it; this indicates that implementing sharee‘ah is conditional upon a majority vote".

As for women, they were not present with the men, so they did not vote.
Present where? Please, if you are talking about a specic event, please, leat me know which one.

In Islam, the basic rule is, if it is not haram (forbidden), then it is mubah (allowed). Accordingly, since nothing says that women can not vote, that means they can.

As for women, they were not present with the men, so they did not vote. But, I am sure that if neede, they would cast votes as there were some fairly knowledgeable amongst them. Ayesha (may Allah be pleased with her) was considered as a knowledge-base.

That is not very accurate. Bay'a is considered a type of vote, women were present under the tree (the incident of the bay'a under the tree in Mekka). There are other incidents where the Prophet saas and/or the Sahaba and the Rashideen asked women for their opinion.

At the time of the Prophet, the women would be at the Masjid five times a day, so you can not say they were not present. It is true they were in the back lines but not in another place, they were present, they heard everything and they sometimes spoke out also.

:D

Allah says in the Holy Qur'an:

"O Prophet! When believing women come to you to give you the Bai'ah (pledge), that they will not associate anything in worship with Allâh, that they will not steal, that they will not commit illegal sexual intercourse, that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood (i.e. by making illegal children belonging to their husbands), and that they will not disobey you in Ma'rûf (Islâmic Monotheism and all that which Islâm ordains), then accept their Bai'ah (pledge), and ask Allâh to forgive them. Verily, Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'an 60:12)

Women were given permission to give their Oath of Allegience to the Prophet :D

It was reported that Abdur Rahman Ibn Affan (ra) had also consulted Women before he gave his Oath to Uthman (ra) as the Third Caliph.

One must realize how Women were treated and lived during the days of ignorance and how Allah (swt) gave them many great rights, it was a transition a remarkable one. It's not like the "20th century feminist movement or something" but it was completely revolutionary for such a time in the 7th Century. The Prophet :D fealt for the orphans the poor and the Women who were all treated wrongly, what a character what a heart what a man!

But in terms of "voting" in today's nations it seems that there are opinions on this.

Allah knows Best.

Fahid

Peace!

The matter of voting itself is controversial, as can be seen from the detailed answer at (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=974&dgn=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...se&QR=974&dgn=4[/url]. A Muslim can only vote provided he/she is knowledgeable aboutthe subject/person being voted for, must have sound Islamic knowledge to ensure that the subject of the voting is in accordance with Islam. Islam does not have one-man-one-vote concept as that necessarily puts a wise and knowledegeable person at par with one who is not.

As for women voting, I do not see any difference, personally, between the genders as long as the above conditions are met.

Peace out.

I agree with the fact that only people knowledge about a subject should vote about it, but how would a governmental faction figure that out?