Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Big_Red_1

Why Do Muslims Fast During Ramadan?

I know that Ramadan is the Muslim holy month, but that's about it. Why do Muslims in Ramadan fast during the day? What event does Ramadan commemorate? Well, I guess that's two questions really.

PropellerAds

Hi

Welcome to IF...

first and foremost we fast because God(Allah) ordered us to..the reason Allah ordered us to is because the Qura'n (the last revalation ) was revealed in this month .

The month of Ramadân in which was revealed the Qur'ân, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadân i.e. is present at his home), he must observe Saum (fasts) that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Saum (fasts) must be made up] from other days. Allâh intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you. (He wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that you must magnify Allâh [i.e. to say Takbîr (Allâhu-Akbar; Allâh is the Most Great) on seeing the crescent of the months of Ramadân and Shawwâl] for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him.

translation of Gods Words

O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint,-

/[##][/##]/[##][/##]/[##][/##]/[##][/##]/[##][/##]/

Ramadhan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur'an, as a guide to mankind, also clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (Between right and wrong). So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put to difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful.

When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way.

Edited by slave

:D

If we also take it from a different perspective of understanding how is man ever grateful to the Creator? In fact man in general is very ungrateful and we should be grateful for everything.

I'm sure this question goes along with as to why we do such things etc...

I always use this analogy by thinking of the pillars of Islam:

The Shahada/Testification - We testify it in at least ONE point in our life and keep it with us.

The Salat/Prayer - We do it for at least ONE hour on a daily basis (5 times in a day).

The Zakat/Charity - We make payment at least ONE times a year.

The Sawm/Fasting-Ramadan - We do it ONE month a year.

The Hajj/Pilgramage - We require ONE visit in our lifetime if able to.

Why not do it for the Lord All-Mighty :D He gives us 23 hours a day for ourselves, he gives us 11 months a year to ourselves, he is so merciful that he requires only one visit to make the pilgramage and if you can't afford it in your lifetime then you are excused and so on.

Fahid

I know that Ramadan is the Muslim holy month, but that's about it.  Why do Muslims in Ramadan fast during the day?  What event does Ramadan commemorate?  Well, I guess that's two questions really.

Actually, Ramadan is not one of the holy months. In Islam there are four holy months: Dul Qi'da (11th month), Dul Hijja (12th month), Muharram (1st month) and Rajab (7th month). Ramadan (9th month) is a special month but it is not one of the holy months.

Good day to all,

There actually is more to it than just God's command. I remember when I was growing up and I asked my parents to why do we fast in Ramadan, they gave me a very logical answer. In a way it kind of reminds us of all the hungry people in the world, who are fortionate enough to have food and also in a way your giving your tummy a break from digesting all year. So its a Healthy Reminder that is both good for you and others, because at the end of Ramadan we have a huge feast in which you donate money and food to less fortionate people.

Not to mention when you call all your family and loved ones to break your fast and pray with you. It brings the family together in a very joyouse loving enviroment.

There is so much to say about Ramadan, you could start a whole thread, it trully is a great time of year to spread love, gifts and fortune to the unfortionate, I don't see any other way to get you closer to God and yet feel soooo good about it! :D

I hope I have helped a bit.!

Take care now.

My peace be upon you!

Al salam alikum!

:D Fasting during Ramadan is one of the ways to show gratitude to our Creator. It is a test to show if our faith is strong enough. It also gives us a chance to let our bodies do an annual cleaning and to know how the poor people feel every day.

If a muslim fasts in Ramadan and prays sincerely to Allah, all of his sins are forgiven. Fasting will be a shield for us on the Day of Judgement. Every day we fast, a distance of 70 years will be between us and the hellfire. Also, there are gates in Paradise that will call people to enter. One of those gates is the gate of Fasting.