Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mintyfresh

"eloi, Eloi, Lema Sabachthani?"

Peace Noor!

Please consider the verses listed below:

The 11 disciples traveled to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had directed them. When they saw Him, they worshiped, but some doubted. Then Jesus came near and said to them, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Matthew:28:16-20

[Jesus asks] "Do you believe in the Son of God?" He answered and said, "Who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?" And Jesus said to him, "You have both seen Him and it is He who is talking with you." Then he said, "Lord, I believe!" And he worshiped Him.

John 9:36-38

Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, "Peace to you!" Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing." And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

John 20:26-29

Jesus was quite comfortable receiving worship, and blessed Thomas for his declaration.

As to your second question:

For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him.

2 Corinthians 5:1-9

Just because our bodies die does not mean that we are completely dead. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. Consider the words of Paul:

For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. For I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.

Philippians 1:21-23

We will be alive with him until the day of resurrection, when we shall be given new bodies that will never die.

Hope this answers your questions.

me

PropellerAds
To answer your question here... The death that We as Christians talk about and also what that scripture is talking about is spiritual death. Our everlasting life is with god in heaven , not with our bodies as on earth but with our new spiritually made bodies . the bodies we have as of now are sinful flesh. the bodies we will have will not know sin. i expect alot of comments about this.. mostly ppl with small minds saying that it is false... remember this is my interpretation of what is said. many christians belive differently and many belive the same. maybe ME can ellaborate on what i have said.

Now a question for muslims

As a tolerant chtistian i feel that our religions are basically 2 different interpertations of the same basic knowledge. that there is one god , we must serve him, and that god is infallible. What do you trully belive about jesus and about his connection with god or Allah as you would say...

Could you give me some quotes that states that the Bible means "spiritual death" and not being immortal? Furthermore could explain the test of being a "true Christian", the one about drinking poison etc.. Being able to learn a new language in a week fluently etc.. Don’t tell me that’s also a "spiritual" matter, and you shouldn’t "tempt" god.

Peace Noor!

Please consider the verses listed below:

The 11 disciples traveled to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had directed them. When they saw Him, they worshiped, but some doubted. Then Jesus came near and said to them, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Matthew:28:16-20

[Jesus asks] "Do you believe in the Son of God?" He answered and said, "Who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?" And Jesus said to him, "You have both seen Him and it is He who is talking with you." Then he said, "Lord, I believe!" And he worshiped Him.

John 9:36-38

Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, "Peace to you!" Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing." And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

John 20:26-29

Jesus was quite comfortable receiving worship, and blessed Thomas for his declaration.

Salam,

Again, all that you have stated here are out of "CONTEXT" and are plainly false. :D

For example: Jhon 9:33-35

33 If this Man were not from God, He could do nothing.â€

34 They answered and said to him, “You were completely born in sins, and are you teaching us?†And they cast him out.

35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when He had found him, He said to him, “Do you believe in the Son of God?â€[e] <-- (Foot NOTE)

John 9:35 NU-Text reads Son of Man.

This is but just one example, of things taken out of context. It is not really ur fault brother, the Bible is a hard scripture to read and understand properly. I hope that your bible has the same footnote, that explains that it means "Son of Man" NOT son of god. What Jesus was trying to explain to the man, is that does he not believe that he is the messenger of god. As far as "Then he said, "Lord, I believe!" And he worshiped Him." You have to take that statement with a grain of salt brother. Because he was NOTE quoted as saying "I worship you!". Never once does a man state that he worships Jesus, in front of Jesus. Neither did Jesus say to worship him.

I hope this clarifies a few points, and helps you to read your Holy book with full context.

If you need me to clarify anything else brother, I will try to the best of my abilities, but NOTE that I am not a scholar, and defiantly not as learned as some of the mods. :D

Salam,

Peace AhQee,

No, I think the context is quite plain. I do not have to fit the scriptures into the Quran's teachings, and as a result, the verses are free to speak for themselves. I usually edit my scripture quotes to the bare minimum since space is so precious; no misquote was intended.

You have a point about the phrase "Son of God." This is a good instance of Bible "error." Some manuscripts say Son of Man, and some Son of God. Since Jesus describes himself using both terms elsewhere in the gospels, combined with verse 37, it becomes plain that Jesus is referring to himself. So the question is easily understood to be, "Do you believe in me?"

Let recap the whole conversation:

---

The verses preceding this exchange are both sad and funny. Jesus heals a man born blind on the Sabbath. The healed man does not know who Jesus is. The Pharisees question him at length, hoping to either get some dirt on Jesus or weed out this healed trouble-maker. The man does believe that God is with Jesus, and for this belief, the Pharisees throw him out.

[Jesus finds the man] "Do you believe in the son of man?"

[man] "Who is he, because I would like to."

[Jesus] "You've seen him, and he is speaking to you!"

[man] "I believe!" [and he worships him]

[Jesus] "I have come to judge the world. I have come to give sight to the blind and to show those who think they see that they are blind."

[The Pharisees hear this and ask] "Are you saying we are blind?"

[Jesus] "If you were blind, you wouldn't be guilty. But you remain guilty because you claim you can see."

---

The man had his physical and spiritual eyes opened up. He saw who Jesus was, and he worshipped him. There is no other "him" that the sentence can be referring to. You say I have to take this phrase with a grain of salt. Why? It seems straightforward enough. Why not let the sentence have as much meaning as the words contain?

This may be the point where we must agree to disagree. We look to different authorities on this matter. Your authority filters out anything that doesn't agree with it. If you want to convince me, then you must resort to historical evidence that this text started out saying something else. The Quran does not inform my opinion of the scriptures. If you can offer a reason, not rooted in your faith, as to why I should reject the plain meaning of these passages, I'm all ears. If not, then I thank you for your concern and may God to bless you for your kindness.