Islamic Forum
Zeinab

Kosovo Declares Independence

Kosovo declares independence[using large font size is not allowed]

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2008

Thaci vowed that Kosovo would 'never be ruled by Belgrade again' [AFP]

A special session of Kosovo's parliament has voted to declare independence from Serbia, with thousands of ethnic Albanians jamming the streets of Pristina, the main city, for the historic moment.

After deputies voted on Sunday for a formal proclamation, Hashim Thaci, the prime minister, said "from today onwards, Kosovo is proud, independent and free".

He said: "We, the leaders of our people, democratically elected, through this declaration proclaim Kosovo an independent and sovereign state.

"Our hopes have never been higher. Dreams are infinite, our challenges loom large, but nothing can deter us from moving forward to the greatness that history has reserved for us."

Thaci said Kosovo will be "a democratic, secular and multi-ethnic state", and "will never be ruled by Belgrade again". He, however, vowed to maintain friendly relations with Serbia.

All 109 deputies present at the session voted in favour of independence with a show of hands.

Eleven deputies from ethnic minorities, including Serbs, were absent.

Scenes of celebration

Across Pristina, revellers danced in the streets, fired guns into the air, waved red-and-black Albanian flags and honked car horns in jubilation at the birth of the world's newest country.

Ninety per cent of Kosovo's two million people are ethnic Albanian - mostly nominal Muslims who are secular - and they see no reason to stay joined to the rest of Christian Orthodox Serbia.

"Kosovo is a republic - an independent, democratic and sovereign state," Jakup Krasniqi, the parliament speaker, said as the chamber rang with applause.

Krasniqi, Thaci and Fatmir Sejdiu, the president, signed the declaration, which was scripted on parchment. Later, the flag of independent Kosovo was unveiled in parliament.

It depicts a yellow outline of the nation on a dark blue field, accompanied by six stars.

Thaci signed 192 separate letters to countries around the world - including Serbia - asking them to recognise Kosovo as a state.

He also promised to abide by a plan set out by Martti Ahtisaari, a former UN envoy, which proposed a transition period focusing on Serb rights, and eventually leading to independence.

Pristina expects countries, including the US and several EU members, to announce their recognition on Monday.

Russian rejection

Russia, a key ally of Serbia, denounced Sunday's declaration and called for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council.

In a statement, the foreign ministry said Russia supports Serbia's "just demands to restore the country's territorial integrity", and wants the Security Council to renew efforts to reach a settlement on the issue of Kosovo's status.

Bush criticised

Vojislav Kostunica, the Serbian prime minister, singled out George Bush in a speech on Sunday.

He said: "The president of the United States, who is responsible for this violence, as well as his European followers, will be inscribed in the history of Serbia with black letters, but also in the history of international law on which the world's order is based.

"Today, on February 17, the fake state of Kosovo was illegally proclaimed on [serbia's] territory under the control of Nato," Kostunica said.

"This was an act of legal violence."

The previous day, Boris Tadic, Serbia's new pro-Western president, issued a similarly defiant statement.

"Serbia has reacted and will react with all peaceful, diplomatic and legal means to annul this act committed by Kosovo's institutions," he said.

"Serbia will not resort to violence and it is the only approach which can enable us to continue our legitmate fight to preserve the integrity of our country."

Source: Al Jazeera and agencies

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_english.aljazeera(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/NR/exeres/7BA556D4-A073-4076-AC96-8E7820F9BB8E.htm"]All of the article-link[/url]

PropellerAds

:sl:

Kosovo's parliament declared the disputed territory a nation on Sunday, mounting a historic bid to become an "independent and democratic state" backed by the U.S. and European allies but bitterly contested by Serbia and Russia.

Serbia immediately denounced the declaration as illegal, and Russia also rejected it, demanding an emergency meeting of the U.N. Security Council.

President Bush said the U.S. would work to prevent violence after the declaration and the European Union appealed for calm, mindful of the risk that the declaration could plunge the turbulent Balkans back into instability.

"Kosovo is a republic — an independent, democratic and sovereign state," Kosovo's parliament speaker Jakup Krasniqi said as the chamber burst into applause. Across the capital, Pristina, revelers danced in the streets, fired guns into the air and waved red and black Albanian flags in jubilation at the birth of the world's newest country.

Sunday's declaration was carefully orchestrated with the U.S. and key European powers, and Kosovo was counting on swift international recognition that could come as early as Monday, when EU foreign ministers meet in Brussels, Belgium.

But by sidestepping the U.N. and appealing directly to the U.S. and other nations for recognition, Kosovo set up a showdown with Serbia — outraged at the imminent loss of its territory — and Russia, which warned that it would set a dangerous precedent for separatist groups worldwide.

Ninety percent of Kosovo's 2 million people are ethnic Albanian most of them secular Muslims — and they see no reason to stay joined to the rest of Christian Orthodox Serbia.

Krasniqi, Prime Minister Hashim Thaci and President Fatmir Sejdiu signed the declaration, which was scripted on parchment, before the unveiling of a new national crest and a flag: a bright blue banner featuring a golden map of Kosovo and six stars, one for each of its main ethnic groups.

Read more (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcbsnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/stories/2008/02/17/world/main3841202.shtml"]here.[/url]

------

Alhamdulilah I'm happy for Kosovo!! Insha'Allah soon Chechnya will have success in doing the same!

May Allah let help the Muslims and let them have success! And may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon the prophet Muhammed and his family and all the Muslims. Ameen

AND I WISH BUSH would stay out of it!!! :sl:

AND I WISH BUSH would stay out of it!!! :sl:

Lol, amen sister!

Btw, special message to Yasnov. Indonesia officially does not endorse Kosovo's independence. What say you? I do understand how Indonesia would empathize with serbia's situation, but as a muslim how do you feel about that?

I do understand how Indonesia would empathize with serbia's situation, but as a muslim how do you feel about that?

Feel about what? :sl:

sl: dear muslims

Hmm, Just in 2006 Montenegro split with Serbia, and now Kosovo..

In a way it makes sense what with the Civil Wars taking place int he Area during the 90's.

Just a question whether Kosovo is ready for independence. Heard unemployment there is higher than 50%..

I actually remember some Kosov Refugees coming to my High School about 5 or so Years ago... Had some terrible stories of what went on over there..

:sl: dear muslims

ahh posted this in the other thread, so i thought i'd just Copy and Paste it here

Hmm, Just in 2006 Montenegro split with Serbia, and now Kosovo..

In a way it makes sense what with the Civil Wars taking place int he Area during the 90's.

Just a question whether Kosovo is ready for independence. Heard unemployment there is higher than 50%..

I actually remember some Kosov Refugees coming to my High School about 5 or so Years ago... Had some terrible stories of what went on over there..

---

I think For safety and security its the Best thing, but Kosovo is going to have to work hard. It was same with Montengro, but they have done rather well so far..

May Allah (swt) help our Kosovan brothers and sisters to stand on their feet stronger than now, may Allah ease for the hardship of setting up a running country, may Allah help all other muslim nations going through tougher hardship, amen amen.

Mods please remove this thread, it seems a smilar thread was posted in the articles section and members posted there.

Thank you.

Ameen to the duas.

I hope nothing bad happens, the world is divided on this. :sl:

How do you feel about your country's descision not to recognise Kosovo?

Why wouldn't we?

Wassalam,

Y

Why wouldn't we?

Wassalam,

Y

Well I'm not entirely sure. Those countries with separatist movements within their own borders (such as Spain) are generally against this movement, as it demonstrates the legitimacy of succession. Is there a separatist movement in Indonesia?

Well I'm not entirely sure. Those countries with separatist movements within their own borders (such as Spain) are generally against this movement, as it demonstrates the legitimacy of succession. Is there a separatist movement in Indonesia?

Indonesia is made up of hundreds of distinct cultures, which comes from having a country made of the worlds largest archipelago (it is, isn't it?). Even if there aren't any openly seperatist movements, recognising Kosovo would definitely irritate already existing divisions.

Many are saying that after East Timor the Indonesian government is fearful of other separatist movements, therefore is not going to recognize the independence of Kosovo any time soon.

It is interesting to see the israeli reaction to this subject, as they poured relief into Kosovo, and yet metaphorically the breaking off of this country is similar to what the Palestinians could do.

Well, seacow Palestine is another issue than Kosovo because who of the world powers would recognize the Palestinians state?

Also it seems there seems to be some tensions on the Kosovo border I head some checkpoints were burned?

Well, the Indonesian govt, in my opinion, just tried to play safe. Because most of high officials in the government support the independence of Kosovo. Besides, the Indonesian government has promised to be neutral in the whole issue when a representative from Serbian Embassy in Jakarta came to an event to celebrate the Indonesian Independence Day with some Indonesian leaders. He hoped that Indonesia would support Serbia because both countries shared similar problems.

Well, at the end of the day, it's all about politics and diplomacy.

Wassalam,

Y

Apparently I was wrong about Indonesia. Either that or they changed their position. They now express neutrality on the subject, just like Yasnov said.

It is interesting to look at the positions of countries around the world and guess why they have or haven't decided to rcognize Kosovo. Here is the map:

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_upload.wikimedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Kosovo_relations.png[/img]

Black= Kosovo

Dark Blue= States which formally recognize Kosovo as independent.

Light Blue= States which have stated they intend to formally recognize Kosovo as independent.

Beige= States which have delayed or have expressed neutrality on recognition of Kosovo's independence.

Light Orange= States which have expressed concern over unilateral moves or expressed wish for further negotiations.

Dark Orange= States which have stated they will not recognize Kosovo as independent.

Gray= States with no reported position at present.

It looks like only three or four Muslim countries other than Albania support Kosovo's Independence. Turkey seems a little too eager to do so, considering they have a seperatist movement of their own to contend with.

It is interesting to look at the positions of countries around the world and guess why they have or haven't decided to rcognize Kosovo.

Kewl map, thanks.

It is interesting, what's up with Spain?

That is a nice map thanks :sl:

gill, I think Spain is afraid Catalonia is eager to separate.

Predictably, russia's sphere doesn't recognize Kosovo. Meanwhile Mexico has Chiapas, The phillipines have those muslims in the south, China Has Tibet, and Sri Lanka has the Tamils. I assume New Zealand is just being belligerent. What is Argentina's excuse? Or Vietnam? Also, you'd think Bosnia Hetz...er..govina..na... whatever would have been more sympathetic.

Edited by Russ of Vespuccia

:sl: dear Muslims

Bosnia and Herzegovina seem to be Close, with no Problems, From my knowledge anyway, correct me if i am wrong...

But yeah, its quite convenient how the Nations with their "Internal Problems" seem to have refused to recognize Kosovo.

asalamu alaikum

Yes finnally.

Elhamdulilah , that at last the Kosovo State now is run by its people.

to let you know both kosovo and serbia thought serbia is mainly orthodox cristians , from Islamic point of is both are MUSLIM LAND.

The reason is The Muslim Flag has been up there for hundreds of years. Muslim Flag have been risen that land is a Muslim Land.