Islamic Forum
Chaand

Muslim Teen Makes History As First Miss England

Muslim teen makes history as first Miss England

London

September 5, 2005

Miss England

AN UZBEKISTAN-BORN teenager has become the first Muslim to be crowned Miss England, and will compete in the Miss World pageant in China in December.

Hammasa Kohistani, 18, whose parents had fled Afghanistan, said she was delighted but surprised, and hoped she would not be the last Muslim to receive the honour.

"When they announced that I had won I thought I had misheard," said Ms Kohistani, dressed in an ivory white chiffon-and-silk ball gown designed and made by her mother. "It took a second to sink in."

Asked about being the first Muslim Miss England, Ms Kohistani said: "I'm making history, and I'm very happy. Hopefully, I won't be the last."

Ms Kohistani was born in Tashkent, central Uzbekistan, after her parents were forced to flee Afghanistan. She speaks six languages, including Russian, Persian and French, and looked ecstatic as the crown was placed on her head before a cheering crowd in Liverpool's Olympia Theatre on Saturday night. She was selected from a group of 40.

Known as Miss Maya, after the Asian fashion house that sponsored her, she has also been offered a part in a Bollywood movie.

Advertisement

AdvertisementThe competition winner secures a place in the Miss World final in China in December, which offers a $US100,000 ($A130,000) prize.

Ms Kohistani and Sarah Mendly, 23, a biochemistry graduate who had already been named Miss Nottingham, were among four Muslims among the 20 finalists, which has annoyed some Islamic clerics.

"There is no way a Muslim girl should be playing any part in this competition, because it is unlawful," said Hashim Sulaiman, of the Liverpool Islamic Institute, according to The Times.

"The ladies in that contest are very scantily dressed, and the only part of the body that should be on display are the face, the hands, and the feet."

AFP

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.theage.com.au/news/world/muslim-teen-crowned-miss-england/2005/09/04/1125772409317.html"]Source [/url]

PropellerAds

:D

like thats something to accomplish?! :D that crown looks silly..as if it can pick up satellite signals...

a few years ago a lady from Afghanistan was running in a beauty pageant.. :D

Assalamu alaikum

Wooohooo! :D :D

Something to be proud of? I don't think so. :D They really should drop the word 'muslim' from that article, it's insulting. :D

Ma'assalama

May Allah guide our sister out of her ignorance, and make her only want to be beautiful in her Creator's eyes.

Edited by asmauk

Whoa...there were two others also in the contest who didn't win? :D Alhamdulillah they didn't win.

Ugh. :D

Ameen to the duas.

There 3 others.... total 4 among 20 finalists. So there mite have been more among the original 40.. :D

Edited by Mansoor Ansari

^ Two out of the four Muslim finalists won... Miss England and Miss Nottingham..

So there mite have been more among the original 40..

That could be so..that doesn't surprise me anymore. :D

When we see the way some of our muslim sisters dress and act in every day life, are people really surprised by this? Subhanallah, it makes me sad to say it, but quite frankly, i'm not.

Allah Yahdeehum

I'm surprised the Miss World thing is still going on, what's happend to all of the feminists?

Everything is done to demonise the Hijab, blaming it on oppression and ignorance.

Whereas young women who're degraded in acts of perversion are presented as rolemodels to future generations!.

Edited by Shagird

Assalamu alaikum

Wooohooo! :D  :D

Something to be proud of? I don't think so. :D  They really should drop the word 'muslim' from that article, it's insulting. :D

Ma'assalama

Exactly what i am thinking, why they gotta mention the muslim part in it...sorry to say but there anything but muslims.

:D :D

this is getting ridiculous. :D In all honesty, im not surprised.

Assalamu alaikum

Wooohooo! :D

Something to be proud of? I don't think so. :D  They really should drop the word 'muslim' from that article, it's insulting. :D

Ma'assalama

:D well said!

apparantly, her mother is a prcticing muslim and her father is an athiest...saw it on a bbc 1 program.. :D :D

may Allah :D guide us on the siraatul mustaqeem :D

she is clearly blind!

May Allah guide her to see what is right and let her repent for putting herself before men like this :D and may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon the prophet and his family. ameen

anyone know of anyway we can contact her... I want her to know that we dont support her... although hopefully she'll get enough of that anyway :D

This reminds me of a saying I heard about America recently:

We have 2 candidates for president and 50 for Miss America

Show's what's important these days :D

AS

Man what is happening!

Auzobillah!

Salaam alaykum,

When you notice in a person some manifest act of obedience to Allah and some (secret) act of disobedience, you might regard the act of obedience as showing off or hypocrisy, and the disobedience as the genuine trait of that person. Justice demands from you otherwise. - Salmaan ibn Fahd al-'Awdah

When you want to mention your companion's faults, remember your own faults. - Ibn Abbas

We have to remember that all of us are a mirror for eachother, instead of saying things like leaving the word "muslim"out of the article, wich by the way is not for you to judge! , why not look at ourselves and remember the many wrong things you do or used to do and know that all of us go through stages in life, who is to know this girl will not develop in of the best Muslims? You do not have the knowledge, you can condemn what she is doing but i would rather see someone guiding her to the right way(wich a lot of you made dua for) then saying the word "muslim"should be removed...none of us are without fault, you can't judge this girl by this single act that she is doing, you don't know her and you simply don't have the right... i always read and hear people talking about mercy in Islam and how we all should show mercy but when it actually comes down to it, a lot of times the mercy is nowhere near to find and i find it so disheartening! Teach the girl the right way but don't say these things...if i were that girl this kind of talk wouldn't make me change my ways for the better, Allahu (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/glossary/glossary_a001.html#alim"]Alim[/url]. I include myself in this, i'm not just saying this to whoever reads this, i am also addressing myself to show more mercy and i know that the words you all wrote comes for your love for Allah and Islam, i would just like to see more love...too much hate in the world...

wa Salaam.

In the words of Mansoor, to anyone who would try to use this thread as a way to say that Muslims are harsh:

...don't tell me beauty contests are held with the intention of potraying God's beautiful creation. It's abt $$$, exploiting women, & flesh trade.

AS

So now I guess they think we are civilized because we entered a beauty contest. :D

So ridiculous, Allah yehddi those grils and their families.

Muslim teen makes history as first Miss England

London

September 5, 2005

Miss England

AN UZBEKISTAN-BORN teenager has become the first Muslim to be crowned Miss England, and will compete in the Miss World pageant in China in December.

Hammasa Kohistani, 18, whose parents had fled Afghanistan, said she was delighted but surprised, and hoped she would not be the last Muslim to receive the honour.

"When they announced that I had won I thought I had misheard," said Ms Kohistani, dressed in an ivory white chiffon-and-silk ball gown designed and made by her mother. "It took a second to sink in."

Asked about being the first Muslim Miss England, Ms Kohistani said: "I'm making history, and I'm very happy. Hopefully, I won't be the last."

Ms Kohistani was born in Tashkent, central Uzbekistan, after her parents were forced to flee Afghanistan. She speaks six languages, including Russian, Persian and French, and looked ecstatic as the crown was placed on her head before a cheering crowd in Liverpool's Olympia Theatre on Saturday night. She was selected from a group of 40.

Known as Miss Maya, after the Asian fashion house that sponsored her, she has also been offered a part in a Bollywood movie.

Advertisement

AdvertisementThe competition winner secures a place in the Miss World final in China in December, which offers a $US100,000 ($A130,000) prize.

Ms Kohistani and Sarah Mendly, 23, a biochemistry graduate who had already been named Miss Nottingham, were among four Muslims among the 20 finalists, which has annoyed some Islamic clerics.

"There is no way a Muslim girl should be playing any part in this competition, because it is unlawful," said Hashim Sulaiman, of the Liverpool Islamic Institute, according to The Times.

"The ladies in that contest are very scantily dressed, and the only part of the body that should be on display are the face, the hands, and the feet."

AFP

(www.)"http://theage.au/news/world/muslim-teen-crowned-miss-england/2005/09/04/1125772409317.html"]Source [/url]

Isn't it against Islam to parade about like a prostitute in front of millions of people? I think Allah would veiw it as a set back rather than an acomplishment. now Muslim women and girls all across the world are going to see her and think it's acceptable. I rather veiw this as a sad day in Muslim history. Hashim Sulaiman is a wise man.

"I'm making history, and I'm very happy. Hopefully, I won't be the last."

What a sad thing to wish on your sisters. :D

I would like to remind us all with Allah's words "Wa assa an takrahu shaeun wa whowa khierun lakum", (and you may hate something and it is good for you).

I agree with Noor:), we really shouldn't be making such comments, its is obviouse that the girl is mis-guided, since her father is an Athiest, then dosen't that mean that she's NOT a muslim!?, but thats not the point.

True, all eyes are on her now, because she is Miss England, and as someone said before "our young muslim generation might think its okay for them to do the same thing" .. but you know what they will do first, they will ask thier parents "Mommy/Daddy can I be a muslim supermodel like her?" ... the parents will disagree and give them the correct reasons, now if it wasn't for that little girl to have seen Miss England, she wouldn't have thought of asking if it was okay. I'm sure that many young muslim girls will start asking and investigating if this is good or not, she has giving them something to search for, some more questions to be answered and I'm sure that is good thing. Instead of them drulling over Enrique Iglisiase, they will try to see if its okay to be a Muslim something. And Inshaa Allah that will lead them to good findings and bring up a stronger, knowledgable generation of Islam.

You never know. :D

Take care brothers and sisters and lets make dua for our Miss England and try to find ways to Help her, instead of Hate her. :D

Asalaamu alaikum,

Masha'Allah brother, this is the kind of benefit of the doubt we should be giving each other instead of constantly criticizing everything we see.

As long as we can understand for ourselves and our families what is wrong with the events we see around us, and give at least one kind and tactful reminder to those who do wrong, that is all that is required of us. In the end, it is up to Allah to guide or misguide those whom He wills, but insha'Allah our friendly reminders will help.

Who knows, there may be benefit to this whole situation as brother ashpoem has illustrated.

Why must we be so judgemental? Okay the Miss World contest is haram but if it doesn't concern us then we should not moan and groan about it. The winner is not related to any of us, the fact she's Muslim is incidental and what she does in her life is no business of yours or mine. Just let it be, mind your own and stop backbiting others who you don't know and haven't harmed you in any way.

Why must we be so judgemental? Okay the Miss World contest is haram but if it doesn't concern us then we should not moan and groan about it. The winner is not related to any of us, the fact she's Muslim is incidental and what she does in her life is no business of yours or mine. Just let it be, mind your own and stop backbiting others who you don't know and haven't harmed you in any way.

first of all, she is doing harm to muslim youth. it becomes our business when they say the first " muslims" to make the history. I know we shouldnt be judgmental, Allah is the one to judge them. but pointing out whats wrong is our right. we cant sit and say...ah nothing happened, non of my business anyway. we have to point it out that its wrong, to let others know why.

I would like to remind us all with Allah's words "Wa assa an takrahu shaeun wa whowa khierun lakum", (and you may hate something and it is good for you).

I agree with Noor:), we really shouldn't be making such comments, its is obviouse that the girl is mis-guided, since her father is an Athiest, then dosen't that mean that she's NOT a muslim!?, but thats not the point.

True, all eyes are on her now, because she is Miss England, and as someone said before "our young muslim generation might think its okay for them to do the same thing" .. but you know what they will do first, they will ask thier parents "Mommy/Daddy can I be a muslim supermodel like her?" ... the parents will disagree and give them the correct reasons, now if it wasn't for that little girl to have seen Miss England, she wouldn't have thought of asking if it was okay. I'm sure that many young muslim girls will start asking and investigating if this is good or not, she has giving them something to search for, some more questions to be answered and I'm sure that is good thing. Instead of them drulling over Enrique Iglisiase, they will try to see if its okay to be a Muslim something. And Inshaa Allah that will lead them to good findings and bring up a stronger, knowledgable generation of Islam.

You never know.  :D

Take care brothers and sisters and lets make dua for our Miss England and try to find ways to Help her, instead of Hate her.  :D

I agree with what u said....

but!

some young girls might think of look how cool she looks and follow her way, i m sure there will be plenty with these views. in that case, she is a bad example!