Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
emerald

Is Bottom Of Shoe Facing Upwards A Sin?

:D

What? really? OMG! I've never heard this before.

Plz if it's really true ...can some1 confirm this for the rest of us who have no knowledge about it? It will also be much appreciated if an explanation of the reason behing this ruling is posted for us ( possibly, evidence from Quran and or Hadith).

:D in advance. :D

I think it depends on the brand of your shoes..

..wow, what a question to start your first post in the forum, yikess.

But let me start with a warm welcome to the forum.

On a serious note, you have this mixed up a bit with middle eastern traditions. In Arab countries, raising your foot so that the bottom of your shoe faces the person sitting in front of you, is considered to be disrespectful to that person, specially if he/she is older than you are. That is purely a tradition, and has nothing to do with being Muslim or Christian in that part of the world.

I don’t know about being haram or anything, but since I was a child I was taught not to leave a shoe or slipper facing upwards because that way it would be facing the sky, which is where Allah is.

I’m not sure if it is traditions or religion because I have never heard a hadith about it. But it is just logical and it doesn’t hurt or even annoy to keep the shoes the proper side up so I do.

Assalamu alaikum, actually depending where you come from people have superstitions attached to things.

I come from Hyderabad, India and over there if a shoe is left with the bottom facing up, then people hurry to turn it right side up saying that if it is left up side down there will be fights in the house, this has nothing to do with Islam or being a Muslim and to believe in such things is haram.

Personally I would flip it to the right side up because it does not look nice. Wassalamu alaikum.

I can see where this persons coming from.. alot of asian - indian, pakistani muslim illiterates consider it a SIN to see a shoe facing upwards and not to put it right. Its rubbish.

I have a book called, 'The Ideal Mother' and in it it mentions that it is very common for mothers' (or guardians) to advise you not to do something, or to do something and they will use Shaytan, Sin etc to ensure you do it.

i.e. Fold the masalla after salah because shaytan will perform salalh on it. Cover water jugs so Shaytan cannot urinate in the water, etc etc etc. There are loads. And I have been told many when I was a child. But its not my mother's fault, its the older generations that started all this, and because its been installed into my mother as a child, she simply thinks its true and has carried on teaching me, what she was taught. :D

So, things like show being upside down, also a superstition, rather than something Islam demands us to do. Of course, it does look messy if your shoes are upside down all over the place. :D

*eli* (aka eli_chy05)

Edited by *eli*

Im glad someone has asked this question, because whenever I see a shoe up-side down...i quickly turn it the right way.

Not because I think it will bring bad luck-obviously, Astasghfirulla...

but its because i think it is disrespectful....

also...it does make the place look untidy...and shows manners-if they r the right way up...hehe imagine...going to someone home and leaving your shoes upside down...and the soul of the shoe is all yucky....>>would'nt seem very nice.

Wallahu Alim

i.e. Fold the masalla after salah because shaytan will perform salalh on it.

*eli* (aka eli_chy05)

hahahahahaha if that is true then please do not fold it (I am assuming a masalla is a prayer rug?) at least then shaytan will finally repent and stop being man's greatest enemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I would fold it so that no one will tread over it with dirty shoes.

On a serious note, you have this mixed up a bit with middle eastern traditions. In Arab countries, raising your foot so that the bottom of your shoe faces the person sitting in front of you, is considered to be disrespectful to that person, specially if he/she is older than you are. That is purely a tradition, and has nothing to do with being Muslim or Christian in that part of the world.

True.. this tradition is also prevelant in many Asian countries.

Assalamu alaikum, actually depending where you come from people have superstitions attached to things.

I come from Hyderabad, India and over there if a shoe is left with the bottom facing up, then people hurry to turn it right side up saying that if it is left up side down there will be fights in the house, this has nothing to do with Islam or being a Muslim and to believe in such things is haram.

Personally I would flip it to the right side up because it does not look nice. Wassalamu alaikum.

Interestingly we do the same thing in Pakistan, only here we say that it is an insult to Allah. It's one of those cultural things that unfortunately gets mixed up in religion. It's amazing how many people take these minor things so seriously and give them the name of religion.

As Salaam Alaikum,

Yea, this has nothing to do with Islam and is something cultural.

I can only imagine it as being a sin in a situation which Dot has described. If leaving your shoe that way is considered disrespectful to people in a culture, and you do it purposly, and your intent is to insult them... then it would of course be a sin. Because as Muslims we are taught to be respectful to people, and even the Q'uran mentions something that is essence the same as the saying, "Do as the Romans do" (i.e. assimilate and respect the cultures of people so you wont cause offense, when you are in their land).

But as for saying that this is something that Islam has specifically forbidden.... no, that's not the case.

As for the "Don't do it becuase it's looking towards the sky and therefore facing God".... I strongly discourage these reasons, beacuse we shouldn't start adding God in our own superstitions and assume what causes him offense and what does not.

salaam

I don't see anything wrong in that. It is just the way to show respect towards others and it makes sence. Shoe is always dirty and carrying other napakies. Why you wanna show it to elders by facing towards them? Not very respectful. hu?

Why did Allah(SWT) told Musa(AS) to remove his shoe when he invite him.

thanks everyone for ur replies, i never saw them all before.

Because as Muslims we are taught to be respectful to people, and even the Q'uran mentions something that is essence the same as the saying, "Do as the Romans do" (i.e. assimilate and respect the cultures of people so you wont cause offense, when you are in their land).

:D :D :D

assimilate the culture of the kafirs in some cases????

where does it say this in the quran. I'm asking so that I can look up the tafsir, and ask others about it.

As Salaam Alaikum,

and even the Q'uran mentions something that is essence the same as the saying, "Do as the Romans do" (i.e. assimilate and respect the cultures of people so you wont cause offense, when you are in their land).

Referene please....

i cant believe these questions im hearing. what are you going to ask next? is it haram to look up at the sky at a certain angle? Use your god given brains for god's sakes.

Peace anthony!

Welcome to the Forum. I pray that your stay here is fruitful.

I know this kind of questions will sound trivial to you, but there are questions in the Advanced section that will not. Islam is not a religion, where only the obligations are taught and left to the individual to follow. It is a deen deen, way of life, that tells us how we should do everything to live this life accordingto the requirements of the Creator (Allah/God).

That is why, you will not find a Muslim falling into the zone that you are in "believer without religion". A Muslim will always inquire about everything he feels not very confident about, as he/she will pause before acting to be sure of doing it correctly.

Peace out