Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swanlake

Niqaabs Are Banned Everywhere

:D

Wearing the niqaab is a problem for a lot of European countries and around the world. I wonder why?

Women in burkas face benefit cuts

By Anthony Browne, Brussels Correspondent

A DUTCH city is to cut benefits for unemployed Muslim women whose refusal to take off their burkas stops them getting jobs.

Utrecht City Council voted for the measure the day after the Dutch Government announced plans to ban women wearing the burka in some public places as a security measure, and on the same day that Maria van der Hoeven, the Education Minister, urged a ban on burkas in schools.

The burka, a traditional women’s dress in some Muslim societies, covers the entire body except the eyes. The sanctions also apply to women wearing a face-concealing veil, or niqab.

Utrecht made the decision after two Muslim women receiving €550 (£380) a month in unemployment benefits told the jobcentre that they did not attend job interviews because no one would employ them because of their burkas, which they refused to remove.

A spokesman for the city said that the problem was not widespread, but added: “It is a point of principle which applies to all women who refuse to remove their burkas for job interviews. People get benefits when they are out of work but there is also an obligation to do everything to get a job. These women were educated, spoke good Dutch and had opportunities in the labour market.†The city will cut the women’s benefits by 10 per cent a month if they continue to refuse to take off their burkas for job interviews.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,174-1824918,00.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,...1824918,00.html[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=10049"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=10049[/url]

Belgium

Two politicians, inspired by developments in neighbouring France, are hoping to push legislation through parliament that would ban the headscarf from state schools.

They believe that many young Muslim schoolgirls do not wear the scarf by choice, and that imposing a ban would protect them from those who impose it upon them.

(Just listened on the radio how Belguim banned the niqaabs).

France is not the only country where headscarves have proved contentious. A number of countries already ban the garment from schools and other public buildings, while elsewhere it is the failure of women to don a veil which prompts outrage. Use the map above to find out where and when headscarves have been in the headlines.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3476163.stm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3476163.stm[/url]

PropellerAds

Niqab is not fard.

Guest amani
Niqab is not fard.

well there is a difference of opinion as to whether its waajib or mustahab.

i do unfortunately see this coming to uk one day :D

I don't think it is wajib, it is halal and mustahab. Because it's no fard I think they should have compromised for the interview.

I don't think it will happenin the UK inshallah.

At my work place there is a sister in niqab.

We muslims should just go back to our own countries.

for some west is their native country lol.

For some, hijab/niqab is banned there too lol!

Even some Egyptian TV presenters got the sack for wearing hijab!

this is really upsetting...so in order to live in this world...[Allah :D land]- we need to dress how people want us to....

May Allah :D help us all..and give us firm faith to dress Islamically, ameen.

For some, hijab/niqab is banned there too lol!

Its sad but atleast we can do something about it there.

Its sad but atleast we can do something about it there.

unlilky the "muslim" govt are puppets and are fed by their USA masters they dont care about the muslims or Allah, proof? they are not practicing tawhid-hakimiyah (Allah is the only law giver)

Niqaab according to Ahnaaf is waajib (meaning not wearing it does not take you out of the folds of Islam, but you get sin).

I wouldn't even trust so called "Islamic" countries...anyone remember Turkey?

My teacher. :D

She was told not to present the show with her scarf on so she didn't and they told someone else to present. :D

once my mum told me that she read a letter from a person who went to Russia. there they met women who for TWENTY years did not leave their homes because they were not allowed to wear the hijaab outside...Allah help us all have that high Emaan, ameen

salam

uk is my country......

i have been born and bred here. its not my fault my parents decided to move here before i was born. iam english as the next person.

once my mum told me that she read a letter from a person who went to Russia. there they met women who for TWENTY years did not leave their homes because they were not allowed to wear the hijaab outside...Allah help us all have that high Emaan, ameen

wow if that happened here that would be the test of peoples imans :D

wassalam

Edited by muslimah24

man this is no good at all!

we should be free to dress as we please.. wheres the freedom now i wonder

As Salaam Alaikum,

Well I don't mean to judge, but these sisters are not even going to interviews evenmore... when you're on umemployment you are suppose to go to job interviews.

If anything, this is the time when the Muslim community hsould step up and accomadate these sisters. Are there no Muslim owned businesses??? So what if it may not pay how much they'd like them to pay, they need to feed their families.

Also they shoudl start their own businesses... create a business plan, invest, start it.

salaaam

If anything, this is the time when the Muslim community hsould step up and accomadate these sisters. Are there no Muslim owned businesses??? So what if it may not pay how much they'd like them to pay, they need to feed their families.

I agree with this...:D as muslims they should have so much help that they dont even have to leave their house unnecesarily..

Assalamu'Alikum,

I respect these sisters so much, even when things are against them they stick to Islam! May Allah bless them and the Ummah always!

Niqab to some is not Fard but please don't push your opinions on others. From my experience and what i have seen and read I think Niqab is at the least Wajib. Someone once posted what all the madhabs say about Niqab, Alhumdullilah i believe all the madhabs agreed that it is Wajib.

Fee Amanillah,

Wa'Salam.

Assalamu alaykum.

WOW! Masha'Allah. If that's not high imaan I don't know what is!!!

But yeah, unfortunately over here in this area of the world freedom means having the freedom to do what the non-beleivers do. As long as you just follow along, everything is a-okay. However, if you try to stand for what you beleive in people start trying to give you trouble. May Allah (swt) grant us all strength and increasin imaan to deal with these times. Ameen.

I also agree with the fact that it would be ideal if the community stepped up to help these women. It would also be good if the women went to the interviews WITH THE BURQA ON. There's no way to know for sure whether or not someone is going to hire you if you don't actually go to the interview?

Assalamu alaykum.

If her face is showing she is not sinful. Otherwise the instances in the sunna where woman had the faces uncovered the Prophet (peace be upn him) would have said them to cover their faces.

Did the Prophet allow women to display their faces and hands?

Having looked at the hadiths that are presented to claim that niqab is fard, let us now look at some hadiths that point to the opposite conclusion:

a) Bukhari Book 54 #515. Narrated Sa'd bin Abu Waqqas: Once Umar asked leave to see Allah's Apostle, in whose company there were some Qurayshi women, who were talking to him and asking him for more financial support, raising their voices. When Umar asked permission to enter, the women quickly screened themselves (fa badirna al-hijab). When Allah's Apostle admitted Umar, Allah's Apostle was smiling. Umar said, "O Allah's Apostle! May Allah keep you happy always!". Allah's Apostle said, "I am astonished at these women here with me. As soon as they heard your voice, they quickly screened themselves". Umar said, "O Allah's Apostle! You have more right to be feared by them". Then he addressed (the women) saying, "O enemies of yourselves! Do you fear me and not Allah's Apostle?" They replied, "Yes, for you are a fearful and fierce man as compared to Allah's Apostle". On that Allah's Apostle said (to Umar), "By Him in Whose hands my life is, when satan sees you taking a path, he takes a path other than yours".

COMMENT: Here we see that the women were not wearing niqab when they were in front of the Prophet (sAas), since they had to put it on when Umar (rAa) entered. How could it be fard then?? Instead, this is like Umm Khallad (rAa) or Asma (rAa), it merely shows that niqab is mustahabb and sunna. Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 was revealed in Dhu'l-Qida 5 A.H. and Surah an-Nur ayah 31 in Shawwal 6 A.H., whereas this hadith seems to be taking place after the conquest of Mecca in Ramadan 8 A.H., after which the women of Quraysh (along with the men) all accepted Islam.

B) Bukhari Book 74 #247. Narrated Abdullah bin Abbas: Al-Fadl bin Abbas rode behind the Prophet as his companion rider on the back portion of his she-camel on the Day of Nahr [on the Farewell Hajj], and Al-Fadl was a handsome man. The Prophet stopped to give people verdicts. In the meantime, a beautiful woman from the tribe of Khath'am came, asking the verdict of Allah's Apostle. Al-Fadl started looking at her as her beauty attracted him. The Prophet looked back while Al-Fadl was looking at her; so the Prophet held out his hand backwards and caught the chin of Al-Fadl and turned his face to the other side in order that he should not gaze at her. She said, "O Allah's Apostle! The obligation of performing hajj enjoined by Allah on His worshipers has become due (compulsory) on my father, who is an old man and who cannot sit firmly on the riding animal. Will it be sufficient that I perform hajj on his behalf?". He said, "Yes".

COMMENT: According to those who hold that niqab is fard, even when a woman is in ihram (as this woman was) she must cover her face when she comes in front of non-mahram men. The woman of Khath'am had her face uncovered, so that the two men could clearly see that she was beautiful (and apparently the narrator ibn Abbas rAa could as well). Why did the Prophet (sAas) not admonish the woman and tell her to cover her face when she came in front of them? The answer is obvious: it is perfectly halal for a woman to have an uncovered face.

c) Muslim Book 4 #1926. Jabir ibn Abdullah reported: I observed prayer with the Messenger of Allah on the Eid day. He commenced with prayer before the sermon, without adhan or iqama. He then stood up leaning on Bilal and he commanded (them) to be on guard (against evil for the sake of) Allah and he exhorted (them) on obedience to Him, and he preached to the people and admonished them. He then walked on till he came to the women and preached to them and admonished them and encouraged them to give alms, for most of them are the fuel for Hell. A woman having a dark spot on her cheek stood up and said, "Why is it so, Messenger of Allah?". He said, "For you grumble often and show ingratitude to your spouses". And they began to give alms out of their ornaments such as their earrings and rings, which they threw in the cloak of Bilal.

COMMENT: How did the narrator know that the woman had a dark spot on her cheek unless her face was uncovered?

d) Ibn Abbas said: A beautiful woman, from among the most beautiful of women, used to pray behind the Prophet. Some of the people used to go to pray in the first row to ensure they would not be able to see her. Others would pray in the last row of the men, and they would look from underneath their armpits to see her. Because of this act, in regard to her, Allah revealed, "Verily We know the eager among you to be first, and verily We know the eager among you to be behind" (Surah al-Hijr ayah 24) -- this hadith is found in ibn Majah, Abu Dawud, Tayalisi, Baihaqi, Ahmad, Tirmidhi, and Nasai and it is judged SAHIH by Albani. He includes it as #3472 in his Silsilat al-Ahadith as-Sahih

COMMENT: This hadith only makes sense if the woman's face was uncovered. Why did Allah SWT not reveal a command for niqab, if niqab is fard to prevent such situations? Instead, the Prophet (sAas) merely admonished the men, who are commanded to lower their gazes in Surah an-Nur ayah 30 and were not doing so.

Conclusion

From these four hadiths we can clearly see that even as late as Dhu'l-Hijja 10 A.H. (a few months before the death of the Prophet sAas) it was halal for women to have uncovered faces. When they came in front of the Prophet (sAas) that way, he allowed it, and he did not command them to wear niqab. If the Prophet understood the Quran to mean that women can display their faces and hands, that is the interpretation we should follow.

No matter how many hadith you post, and how many fatwa YOU give... There is still a difference of oppinion and the ulama have already tackled this issue.... If your chose is that you choose not think it is neccesary then okay... But please dont propagate your oppinion saying only you are right when you are not a scholar. Barak allahu feek.

And perhaps the women should'nt work, so she shouldnt worry about not wearing niqab in front of the interviewer.

No matter how many hadith you post, and how many fatwa YOU give... There is still a difference of oppinion and the ulama have already tackled this issue.... If your chose is that you choose not think it is neccesary then okay... But please dont propagate your oppinion saying only you are right when you are not a scholar. Barak allahu feek.

And perhaps the women should'nt work, so she shouldnt worry about not wearing niqab in front of the interviewer.

I was addressing the issue that someone said it is sinful if they didn't cover the face. I'm surprised there is such a difference of opinion. This is a result of a lack of a peer review by scholars. You are right I'm not a scholar, but I think this issue is quite easy to decide for ourselves?

Also there is this hadeeth

Al- Bukhaari narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said:

“May Allaah have mercy on the first Muhaajir women. When Allaah revealed the words ‘and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)’ they tore their aprons and covered their faces with them.â€