Islamic Forum
zee

Does Anyone Know Please?

:D all

I absolutely love cooking and will soon be posting some really delicious recipes on here for you all, my problem is that: I can cook some of the most difficult dishes, BUT there is one that is so simple yet i dont know its secret nor can i get hold of it from anyone. The people who cook it dont tell me or just give me a brief 'oh its just chicken masala coating'

1. i want to know how to make the chicken roast that they serve at asian weddings...and before you all say ugh! cos i know some people dont like it, I actually love it. ...

but how do they cook it? and what exact masala do they use? how come its so tender? do they marinate overnight in yogurt and masala? its a lovely orangey colour and the coating is not that thick at all (not like southern fried chicken for example) and the main question is do they roast the legs in big ovens, or do they steam cook them in large pots on a cooker?

2. how can i thicken a curry to get a nice thick sauce? i know that you can add more onion or tomato, but i want to make a thick sauce without making it too sweet and these 2 things may make it sweeter, ive tried cornflour but that leaves a bit of an after taste and makes the curry a bit slimey! any suggestions??

appreciate ANY help pleaseee!!!

waslaam

:D

Edited by zee

PropellerAds

Unfortunately, my cooking skills aren't nearly good enough to answer these questions. :D

For the masala, you should be able to get that from some Pakistani-Indian grocery store. My mom often uses Shan brand masala. (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_store.asianfoodcompany(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ready-to-cook-shan.html"]Click here for a link that may be helpful to you. [/url]

When my mom makes the reddish or orange colored chicken, she roasts it in the oven. She doesn't use a steam cooker or something. She also doesn't marinate overnight, although that probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

My mom uses these big foil trays or a glass tray, and covers it completely with aluminum foil on top. If I'm not mistaken, this helps to keep the moisture in and keeps the chicken tender and juicy. :D When it's done, the juices are there at the bottom of the tray. After taking a piece of chicken out, one can spoon out some of the juice and pour it over the chicken.

As far as thickening a curry sauce, can you use yogurt? I was wondering if ginger/garlic paste would be something that could thicken a sauce because I noticed my mom uses it in cooking, but I asked her and she suggested yogurt.

I find yoghurt or tomatoes are good as a thickening agent, or maybe even as simple as potatoes? :D

Insha'Allah that helps.

Eliza

Assalamu Alaikum Zee, you could try rice flour instead of corn flour, usually in my curries I add rice flour to thicken the sauce. You take 1 or 2 tablespoons full of rice flour and add half a cup of water to it and dissolve the flour, add it to the the sauce while it's cooking, stirring it properly, otherwise there might be small lumps.

It really does not change the taste at all, at least in my sauces.

Wassalamu Alaikum.

Edited by masooma

I found the chicken you wanted, well I think so anyways. :D

Its Tandoori chicken but can be done with a normal oven.

Two chicken breasts with the bone.

Marinate in Yoghurt, good teaspoon of cumin powder, one teaspoon of extra hot chilli powder, 1/4 teaspoon of tumeric powder, season as desired. Add some pink food colouring. Don't ask what its called but you can get it in bottles, liquid form. :D Just a coupld of drops and mix in until the mixture is light pink colour. Marinate the chicken overnight or you can cook it straight away.

On a oven tray, non-stick, no need for oil or anything. At Gas Mark 7 (someone please convert to Degrees celcius if possible, I have no idea! :D) And leave for 20 mins or until dark red & charcoal colour.

Insha'(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_glossary/glossary_a001.html#Allah"]Allah[/url] that'll work out as you imagined.

Let me know if you make it sis. Jazakallah kair.

Eliza

Edited by *eli*

JazakAllah kair sis! :D Its got to be THAT hot too. :D

Eliza

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_desicookbook(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_desicookbook(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

aoa

thanks for all your suggestions you all been very helpful, i got hold of the masala and now im gunna try and make it!!!

lols i wish i could invite you all round to taste the feast!

ws :D