Islamic Forum
ummammaar

Islam in South Africa

:D

Well, i moved to SA in september last year...It is a nice beautiful place....ABout the crime, well practically all South African's complain about is so i am not one to deny, but Alhamdu Lillah, we have not had any bad experiances.

we live in Camperdown, which is 20 min from Peitermaritzburg, and about 40 min from Durban. :D we might be going to Durban on Sunday, Hooray!

we moved here and will be staying for about seven years cuz my husband is studying in a madressah here. about madressa, i don't think we can generalize, because the madressah that my husband goes to is good. he goes to the madressah with Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

practically all the indian decent muslims are extra rich here, and sometimes i find it sad that the actual South African are so poor, while most whites and indians aren't.

Practically everyone here has a maid that does the house work like cleaning the house, washing dishes and washing clothes. Alhamdu LIllah i don't have anyone who works for me (except my husband LOL)

anyway, i guess that's enough for now

PropellerAds

Salaam alaykum,

Everyone seems to really like Durban...i've never been to South Africa myself but i need some travel tips...besides Durban, wich places can absolutely not be missed? And what are safe places for a woman to travel alone to? I know a woman shouldn't be travelling alone and am not asking for myself, it's for a friend who was going to travel with someone but her plans fell through and now she has to travel alone through south africa and is kinda nervous about it...not sure if this is the right place to put this message but i just want her to be safe as i'm sure she'll go anyway.

wa Salaam.

Salaam alaykum,

Everyone seems to really like Durban...i've never been to South Africa myself but i need some travel tips...besides Durban, wich places can absolutely not be missed? And what are safe places for a woman to travel alone to? I know a woman shouldn't be travelling alone and am not asking for myself, it's for a friend who was going to travel with someone but her plans fell through and now she has to travel alone through south africa and is kinda nervous about it...not sure if this is the right place to put this message but i just want her to be safe as i'm sure she'll go anyway.

wa Salaam.

Cape Town, Garden route and mpumalanga and kruger park is not be be missed.

Cape Town is the best City there and has the most Muslims and I am not even biased. :D

As for a female travelling alone. WELL that is very RISKY and Dangerous in RSA. Well if you still plan to go make sure to get travel hints from the hotels you book into and take the recommendations seriously.

I was in Iran once and hotel folk told me not to carry too much cash since locals could be dangerous. Well , me being from Cape Town took this advice though when comparing the danger levels to RSA its like being in a crime free world.

Salaam alaykum,

Jazak Allahu khayran queser for the info... it's not me though that's going to South Africa, it's my friend and she's travelling now with two other people so insha Allah she'll be safe®...i'll pass the info on.

wa Salaam.

Assalamu alaykum

I am also from South Africa :D .

It is not a safe place, period :D . Women should not travel alone and tourists should especially be careful. During the last two years there have been at least a couple of cases where tourists were "taken for a ride"... :D

Even so, it is a beautiful country :D . The Islamic community is big and diverse :D . Unfortunately, I have noticed that there is a lot of discrimination going on among the different groups of Muslims :D . This was strange for me when I first became a Muslim since Islam says we are all equal.

People from all over the world come to South Africa to study at the Maddressahs, we have teachers from all over the world teaching Islamic courses as well B) .

Well, this is my two cents...

Was salaam

In Cape Region there are the Cape Malays mostly. some tome back the dutch had colonies in Malaysia and South Africa. The Malays fought the Dutch and many leaders were posted to Cape Town as prisoners of war. Later slaves were taken from Malaysia to Cape Town as well. At first its was agaisnt the law to be Muslim in RSA.

Over time and much struggling Islam grew in Cape region and the muslims then imported people to teach them Islam. Some of these teachers came from Turkey, Arabia and other places. They brought with family members etc. and by intermarrying with malaysians the Cape region muslims grew in numbers. Later even some locals accepted Islam and even some europeans.

Hence, the Muslim, now in Cape region are quite a colorfull mix.

In Natal region we find mostly Muslims from Indian origin, you see UK had colonies in India and RSA. Yeah thats how Ghandi got there.

Indians were used as slaves or cheap labour in the sugar plantations.

Over the years there Islam grew and also some people converted or reverted to Islam.

As time passed Muslims in RSA then moved to various parts of the country and nowadys they can be found in most places.

Islam is also among the local inhabitant black people though only a small percentage, so hence most Muslims there cannot trace there origin to RSA if one goes back 350 or so years.

Salaam

I agree with your explanation about the colonization and how the Cape Malays came about. However, one very important aspect that you failed to mention is the fact that it was people like Tuang Yusuf and his followers who brought Islam to Southern Africa. Sheikh Yusuf was among many slaves who were brought by boat from Indonesia and he and his followers brought Islam to the Cape. This is why we have the shrine of Tuang Yusuf Kramat in Cape Town and i would like to inform you that it has recently been claimed a national heritage sight by the South African Government.

salaam

"South African Muslims do not only represent diverse national origins, but also diverse socio-economic categories. In the 17th century, slaves were brought by the Dutch East India Company from their colonies in East and West Africa, South India, Ceylon, and the Malaysian Archipelago to provide labor for the nascent Dutch colony at the Cape. Since these were areas with high concentrations of Muslims, many of the slaves brought to the Cape were Muslim (Boeseken)." [Muslims in South Africa Origins, Struggles and Achievements; Dr. Suleman Dangor, University of Kwazulu-Natal]

Muslims in South Africa Origins, Struggles and Achievements

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/English/Views/2006/02/article10.shtml"]Part One[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/English/Views/2006/03/article04.shtml"]Part Two[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/English/Views/2006/04/article01.shtml"]Part Three[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/English/Muslim_Affairs/Africa/PoliticsEconomy/2006/06/03.shtml"]Part Four[/url]

We are just 2million of the population, that is about 3%.

Very strong bond.

Darul-Ulooms, schools and madrassahs are doing well.

Ahmed Deedat started Dawah among the inhabitants.

Tablighi Jamaat, under Late Haji Bhai Padia, has made great efforts.

Very united Muslims

Muslims have done alot in media war.

MRN etc have done alot.

Government is good to us also.

Lots of MP are Muslins

Muslim orgs are doing good job.

Make dua

Abu Hamza your topic has been merged with the existing topic on Islam in South Africa.

Assalaam u alaykum warahmatullah

i am a south african muslimah, reading all the comments was interesting, in every country there is good and bad, there will always be differences between people, if we are negative, we will not survive.

Crime is a serious problem, we all live in fear all the time.

Sister Got Iman? i also studied in the Girls madressa in Lenasia, but we refer to that period as the best era, coz we were the second lot of students, it was very nice, alhamdulillah but studying away from home it is difficult, you have to be patient and steadfast and concentrate on the purpose of your stay.

Umm Eesa says in Camperdown madressa is nice, living in the madressa environment is different compare to having your own residence.

Yes, in South Africa not all muslims but generally our lives are very hectic, we prepare many kinds of foods, homes are always being decorated, well i am not very comfortable with this situation, i prefer a simple life, inshaAllah one day!

We live about 8kms away from the Kruger Park and close to the Mozambique boarder, so at times we meet different kinds of people.

A few days ago my dad met a brother in the masjid at fajr, he called him for breakfast and he had some Sudanese guest with him, it was nice meeting the Sudanese sister.

may Allah Ta'aala make it easy for muslims in south Africa and around the world.

Ma'salaamah

Assalamu alaykum Brothers and sisters

I too as a South African Muslimah... Cape Tonian now living in the gold rich City of Johannesburg.

Yes, living in a secular society can be challenging but Alhamdullilah, we practise our Deen freely and unlike many other places in the world, discrimination is not allowed here.

The madressah's that 'corrupt' our youth may not necessarily be due to Madressah's being corrupt but pls consider that many parents over indulge their children in luxuries and then realise that they're spoilt at a much older time in their lives and parents post them off to a place like Mia's farm or a boarding school for Muslims where they are taught discipline and many other lessons in life.

Although these schools do good for alot of ppl, parents do not realise that these qualities needs to be taught at home first... that's where everything starts. Children start resenting their parents... and go off a tangent. This does happen often but Alhamdullilah there are many practising Muslims here, many work places in Joburg have Salah Facilities for Muslims, you'll find Jamat Khanas often and even the Petrol stations sometimes have Salah Facilities when you are travelling...our malls too.

I am an Indian Muslim, 3rd generation, there are lots of Malaysian ppl in CT...strong Cape Malay culture, lots of indians too... all over the country. There are also Pakistanis, Nigerians sweeping CT alot now and Somalians.

Alhamdullilah, we all get along and may we all help each other thru tough times.

In the 17th Century, the Dutch brought slaves from Malaysia

and Indonesia to the Cape. Here we see a Masjid in Cape Town

post-9481-1159339089_thumb.jpg

Edited by dilud

As Salaamu Alaikum

I happened to stumble across this thread by accident

I am a south african Alhamdulillah.Born and bred here.I cant think of any other place id like to stay.Negative aspects there may be,but that i would say goes for every country in the world-and compared to south Africa we are truly blessed in many ways.

I am also attending a Girls madrassah here in Lenasia,which is in Joburg.i can relate.Well,i beg to differ though on the experience.I am loving it so far and i guess its what each person makes of it.Your maqsad and purpose is to study deen-how you apply yourself,how you react to situations,the company you choose to keep-all will depend on the outcome of your experience.almost Half the madrassah if not more is comprised of students from all over the world (malaysia,thailand,america,eng

and,russia,brazil,canada,zimba

we,zambia,mauritious etc etc),of all ages,of different cultural norms,standards,ideas etc etc.To have complete control over such a diverse range of students is impossible.The knowledge is been disseminated in to the best of the ability by the teachers,the duty then rests on the students to implement this knowledge in their lives.Many are trying very hard,Ive seen it.May Allah give us all the ability to be practising Muslims and hold the flag of deen high .I personally found it quite an uplifting experience..

and sis-the mochchos and the AK-47s are still around! lekker!

As for the place,South Africa is beautiful,yes it is dangerous but Allah is the best protector and in Him we place our trust,wherever we are.I personally prefer Durban to Joburg-its much more relaxed and alot of my childhood was spent there.South AFrica on the whole is an interesting slice of the Muslim Ummah-blessed in many ways,much still have we to learn and implement,but Alhamdulillah i am happy where i am.

Was Salaam

As Salaamu Alaikum

I happened to stumble across this thread by accident

I am a south african Alhamdulillah.Born and bred here.I cant think of any other place id like to stay.Negative aspects there may be,but that i would say goes for every country in the world-and compared to south Africa we are truly blessed in many ways.

I am also attending a Girls madrassah here in Lenasia,which is in Joburg.i can relate.Well,i beg to differ though on the experience.I am loving it so far and i guess its what each person makes of it.Your maqsad and purpose is to study deen-how you apply yourself,how you react to situations,the company you choose to keep-all will depend on the outcome of your experience.almost Half the madrassah if not more is comprised of students from all over the world (malaysia,thailand,america,eng

and,russia,brazil,canada,zimba

we,zambia,mauritious etc etc),of all ages,of different cultural norms,standards,ideas etc etc.To have complete control over such a diverse range of students is impossible.The knowledge is been disseminated in to the best of the ability by the teachers,the duty then rests on the students to implement this knowledge in their lives.Many are trying very hard,Ive seen it.May Allah give us all the ability to be practising Muslims and hold the flag of deen high .I personally found it quite an uplifting experience..

and sis-the mochchos and the AK-47s are still around! lekker!

As for the place,South Africa is beautiful,yes it is dangerous but Allah is the best protector and in Him we place our trust,wherever we are.I personally prefer Durban to Joburg-its much more relaxed and alot of my childhood was spent there.South AFrica on the whole is an interesting slice of the Muslim Ummah-blessed in many ways,much still have we to learn and implement,but Alhamdulillah i am happy where i am.

Was Salaam

Islam in South Africa

From Mw

Jump to: navigation, search

Grey Street Masjid 1900Contents [hide]

1 Introduction

2 17th Century History

3 Islams growth in South Africa

4 Demographics of Muslims in South Africa

5 Islamic Architecture in South Africa

6 Famous South African Muslims

7 Muslim Organisations in South Africa

8 References

[edit]Introduction

Although history has recorded that the first influences of Islam was brought into Southern Africa overland by the Southern migration of Africans through the influences of Arab traders, the current Muslims arrived in two waves by sea from foreign lands in the main. The first wave of Muslims arrived as slaves of the then dominant Dutch power from the Colonies of Java and Malaysia in 1652.

The second wave of Muslims were brought to South Africa by the British Colonial powers from India in 1860. The British who settled in the Eastern Coast of South Africa in the early 1800's, had conquered the Dutch in the Cape and defeated the mighty Zulu nation, soon recognised the fertile coastal land as ideal grounds for the growing of sugar cane. [1]

[edit]17th Century History

TimeLine

1658 - Jan Van Riebeeck responsible for the stay of the Mardykers

1667 - the ship Polsbroek arrives with three Sumatran political prisoners . They were Orang Cayen of the Malay-Indonesian Sultanates. Sayyid Mahmud and Sheik Abdurahman Matebe Shah

1694 - the ship Voetboog arrives with the 68 year old Sheik Yusuf of Makasar. He was confined with 12 scholars, 2 wives, 2 slaves, 12 children and :14 followers to a farm called "Zandvliet" in False Bay, now called Macassar

1743 - Vryezwarten (Free Blacks) came to construct a breakwater in Table Bay

1744 - Tuan Sayyid `Alawi and Sayyid Abdurahman Matarah were exiled from Mocca Yemen to the Cape. They were imprisoned in Robben Island. Sayyid died whilst in prison, and Tuan was eventually released

1770 - Confirmation of Muslim community by the British traveler George Foster "a few slaves" regularly met in the home of a "free Mahommadan to read, or rather chant, several prayers and chapters of the Qur'an"

1780 - Imam Sayyid `Abdullah ibn Qadi Abdus Salam (known locally as "Tuan Guru" or "Master Teacher") a Tidore prince from Tuan Guru was exiled to the Cape and transfered immediately to Robben Island . Tuan was released in 1793

1862 - Arrival of Sheikh Abu Bakr Effendi sent to the Cape as a Qadi at the behest of the British

[edit]Islams growth in South Africa

"The numbers have gone up dramatically if you look at the census figures ... there is massive growth especially in the (black) townships," said Dr Shamil Jeppie, an expert on Islamic history in Africa at the University of Cape Town.

The indigenous Black South Africans had in general viewed Islam as a religion of the Indians, and Malays. The influx of African Muslims (see Muslim Refugees in South Africa )have brought with them an "Africanised Islam more in line with black South Africans'identities than the religion practiced by followers with closer links to Asia."

"In the townships people see the confidence they bring. The confidence of the African Muslim," Jeppie said. "There is going to be a different texture, (the balance of followers) is definitely going to change."

islamawareness

[edit]Demographics of Muslims in South Africa

Currently, some 650,000 South Africans or less than 2 percent, are Muslim. They are mostly members of the country's Indian and Coloured (mixed-race) communities

In 1991 there were an estimated 12,000 African Muslims in South Africa, now there are more than 75,000, a near 600% increase. [2] [3]

[edit]Islamic Architecture in South Africa

Grey Street Masjid

The Grey Street Masjid is the largest Masjid in the southern hemisphere and can accommodate approximately 4,000 worshippers.

The land for the Masjid was brought by Aboo Bakr Amod Jhaveri for the price of £150. Aboo Bakr was a Muslim Indian who arrived in Natal under ordinary immigration laws. There had existed a community of over 600 Indians in Natals prior to Aboo Bakr’s arrival

The Grey Street Masjid was established firstly as a Musallah or Jamaat-Khanna in 1881. Between 1881 and 1884 it was known as the ‘Grey Street Masjid Trust’ and from 1916 onwards as the ‘Juma Masjid Trust’

The first minaret was built in the Masjids first extension in 1903., and the second in 1905. The Masjid was rebuilt entirely in 1943 (except for the minaret of 1903) [4]

Habibia Masjid

The foundations for the Habibia Masjid were laid in 1905 by Moulana Abdul Latief. Abdul Latief was an imaam at the Islamic center on the Umgeni River Natal. He was sent to establish a Masjid in Cape Town and to bring the Malay and Muslim community together.

The Masjid has been extended to include a

juniorMadressa and

The Islamia Primary school

[5]

See muslims.co.za for more Masjids in South Africa

[edit]Famous South African Muslims

Qariah Rabia Sayed Nightingale of Cape Town

Ahmed Deedat

Ahmed Kathrada

Mrs Zuleikha Mayat

[edit]Muslim Organisations in South Africa

Non Governmental Organisations

Jamiatal Ulama [6]

Islamic Propogation Centre, Durban

[edit]References

Mahida, Ebrahim Mahomed. History of Muslims in South Africa: A Chronology. Durban: Arabic Study Circle, 2003.

Pages from Cape Muslim History. Pietermaritzburg: Shuter and Shooter, 1994.

Shell, Robert. The Establishment and Spread of Islam at the Cape from the beginning of Company Rule to 1838. BA (Hons) Thesis, UCT, Cape Town, 1974.

Taraweeg Survey 2002, Boorhanol Islam Movement, Cape Town

Davids, Achmat and Yusuf de Costa. Pages from Cape Muslim History. Pietermaritzburg: Shuter and Shooter, 1994

Islam by Country Islam in Africa

Retrieved from "muslimwikiped

a/mw/index.php/Islam_in_South_Africa"

Asslamu Alaykum all,

I'm from SA too. Been here most of my life. The only experience I have of any other Islamic culture is from a few countries in the middle east and the UK. Alhamdulillah, SA has tremendous benefits not only for Muslims, but any minority groups. Discrimination is poorly tolerated here so Muslims are afforded most of their rights. You'll find that about 90% of masajid have loudspeaker adhaan - even in the middle of town. In this regard, it's probably as good as it gets for a secular state. The down side, is that many Muslims here are poorly educated about their din, and are literally cut off from the rest of the Muslim world. (Apart from the Palestinian conflict of course, which serves as a cause around which many Muslims band. I personally feel it sometimes serves to detract from our own problems, such as bigotry, infighting and the perpetuation of a non-empowered/poorly educated population in general :sl:. )The bad points in SA would definitely be the crime, social injustices and traffic in the morning. :sl: Motivated, Master of Self-Defense and Muslim? Come down to SA! :no:

Slm,

Well i am from South Africa too. Yes, it is definitely a nice place to live as a muslim having all the freedom to practice your religion and so on. We also have all these advantages that were not available to us about 10 years ago. With Black Economic Empowerment (BEE), we as muslims of this country benefit alot.

But having grown up in an Islamic country, i definitely prefer the Islamic environment more. :sl:

Peace :sl:

Great to hear from my fellow South Africans! :sl:

The advantage we have, unlike the West, is that Muslims have been around for centuries and have lived among non-Muslims peacefully and respectfully (save for the apartheid and colonial-era white Christian missionaries). The various communities also united significantly in the struggle to end Colonial injustices and apartheid. We are a well integrated society. Religion is a beautiful thing here because I feel it fosters good will and love and respect. I have Muslim cousins and friends and went to school with Muslims, and of course we may get into religious debates but it never gets ugly.

I personally would have no problem with a Muslim president.

Here are pictures of a few Masjids in South Africa:

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetozoneeleven(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Soofie-Mosque-in-Ladysmith-South-Africa.jpg[/img]

Ladysmith

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetvoyagevirtuel.info/galerie/albums/userpics/10710/Cap_Town_mosque.JPG[/img]

Cape Town

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islammedia.free.fr/image/mosque_monde/South_Africa_Mosque_in_Gauteng.jpg[/img]

Gauteng province. Beautiful colour!!!!!!!!

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_rehaat(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/images/Islamic/Islamic%20Architecture%20Around%20the%20World%20(500%20Wallpapers)/Mosque%20in%20Gauteng%20-%20South%20Africa.jpg[/img]

Historical Grey Street Masjid in Durban.

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetteamdurban.co.za/assets/architecture/dl_Juma-Musjin-Mosque.jpg[/img]

Juma Masjid in Durban.

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_ultimatemuslimwarriors.files.wordpress(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2008/08/elm_and_lmc_angled_view_1.jpg[/img]

Mosque in Johannesburg.

There are also a lot of 'retail Masjids' (as well as churches) in CBD's who have converted retail space into places of worship.

Peace!