Islamic Forum
ummammaar

Islam in Japan

PropellerAds

Asalaam alikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatu

I guess I could say a couple of things that might interest some of you. Well, I met Islam in the U.S. not in Japan, so I really don’t know what muslims’ lives are like there, except I know it would be hard. InshaAllah more muslims may visit Japan.

Because of what happened in Iraq (beheading of a Japanese citizen), I think people who are not so educated about Islam have very negative images of the religion. I asked my sister if she wanted to visit masjid in Kobe, Japan, she was like “what do they do? “The beheading ritual?� (well she was kind of kidding) So many Japanese cannot get rid of this beheading linked to Islam (I don’t think this is particular to Japanese only though.) I told one of my friends that I cannot eat meat unless its been slaughter by the name of Allah. She was like, oh like what muslims do in Iraq? Things could have been worse but could have been much better. only Allah (swt) knows.

On the other hand, my father went to an exhibition held in Osaka about Arabic culture. Not necessarily though they had a presentation of Islam, but he’s been very impressed with the Middle East culture and language. He, I guess saw an Arabic writing and said it was just like our calligraphy. He knows much more on how Islam (Sunni and Shiya) emerged than I do. He was supportive me being a muslim (which I thought that would be the last thing to happen) :D

:D

Thank you so much for the insightful post. SubhanAllah, just hang in there. We have to be strong. :D one day these streotypes will decrease.

Thank you so much for the insightful post. SubhanAllah, just hang in there. We have to be strong. :D one day these streotypes will decrease.

Yes ok so you pointed this out...thank you but how do you change the misconceptions?We can't possibly just sit somewhere and say "oh these sterotyping should/will decrease"

Muslims should do something about it but I don't see many of them doing it...Many just give a "can't be bothered" attitude and assume that there is nothing wrong with those beheading of taking of non muslims as hostages...

How can Japan love America so much even after they dropped an atomic bomb on them and won't hesitate to do it again?

I don't think any Japanese person has ever or will ever forgive America for what it did to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But having said that, I think that they like American culture more than they do their politics.

I don't think any Japanese person has ever or will ever forgive America for what it did to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But having said that, I think that they like American culture more than they do their politics.

Asalaam alikum

That’s true. I’ve taken a history class in the U.S. college, and their legitimate reason crap, to save American lives, to shorten the war, or Hiroshima was a legitimate target, make me, (and all Japanese people) sick. Why history so different from Japan, Korea, to the U.S., because history is man-made. I wish Japanese government had a lot to say on the U.S. policy on Iraq and everything, but they don’t much like all other Arabic counties.

Japanese culture is very unique that it adopts other cultures real well. We adopted Chinese culture as it is still used in our language. That’s why Buddhism exists with Shintoism in Japan. After WW2, we adopted Western culture to some extent, surprisingly though not Christianity. So maybe, inshaAllah it will adopt Islam next?

assalaamu alaikum,

...history is man-made.

You're sooo right! Being an American, this becomes easy to see as I get older and learn how false the information I learned about the Native Americans was. I was taught that, basically, they gave us all this land and then we had Thanksgiving to celebrate. We never learned the magnitude of the destruction. Not more than one paragraph which, as is common in this country today, couldn't be too graphic so as not to shock anyone's sensitive children :D

The same disinformation was fed to us regarding WW2. I mean, we learned what happened and probably the numbers of the dead and wounded...but before Sept.11 (which is when I learned about it) young Americans had no idea of how HUGE those numbers are.

I guess it's important not to get discouraged, because Allah(SWT) keeps a clear and accurate record of everything, and we everyone will get paid in full :P .

So maybe, inshaAllah it will adopt Islam next?

Inshallah :D I feel like all this talk of Islam in the news today, coupled with the amount of people reverting, could lead to what people are already calling the "Islamic Revival." In this day and age, with communication technology as fast as it is, Islam could really traverse the globe like none other if people are willing to seek out the facts. Even the people who oppose it will obviously look foolish.

Inshallah :P

walaikum assalaam,

AS

as-salaam aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

history is man-made

Mashallah very nicely put!!! Its like when I was young and learning about the history of the U.S.... it was always "How the West was Won" and the protrayals of the Native Americans as "savages".... then one day on PBS they did a huge documentary called "How the West was Lost"--that was a huge eye-opener on the atrocities commited on the Native Americans.

fi aman Allah,

Ameera

and yet people are still sayin 'yay america' or 'we love america' or 'god bless america'...and totally ignore all these points...don't mean to go off topic.

I have to ask, how is it living in a country that is so advanced in technology. I wished i could live in Japan with great technology.

What i greatly admire about the Japanese is that their country bearly has any natural resources and always hit by earthqakes and yet they're the one of the most powerful countries. That's really awsome.

But i don't really like how they hunt and kill whales, that really detests me..especially when they say they're like 'dogs'...

LOL..no i don't mean that. I mean that they think the whales are like dogs, just animals to treat badly and do whatever you want with it. Infact, no animal should ever be treated in such a manner...apart from rats and insects lol.

LOL..no i don't mean that. I mean that they think the whales are like dogs, just animals to treat badly and do whatever you want with it. Infact, no animal should ever be treated in such a manner...apart from rats and insects lol.

Asalaam alikum

Well, I've never heard of Japanese people treating whales like that. I mean, we used to, and even now little bit, hunt whales to eat. Even now people try to have whale’s meat, saying that we are using them for the scientific research. (That’s how badly people like whale’s meat, I think and it’s pretty expensive now.) The reason why so many (western) countries are against hunting whales is because they claim that hales are pretty intellectual mammals and shouldn’t be eaten (like, too precious to eat lol). I personally feel bad about it too, but it just the way our culture is, ...just like the Arabs eat camels, or you eat beef. I had Kangaroo meet in Australia. Is it any different, you think??

Mariko nee-san daijoubu des-ka?!

I will go to Japan one day inshallah.

I have to ask, how is it living in a country that is so advanced in technology. I wished i could live in Japan with great technology.

I guess to live in Japan is very convenient. You can find stores open 24/7 just around the corner. Train takes you everywhere strictly on time. I have to tell you, our cell phones are a lot cuter than any other ones you may find outside.

What i greatly admire about the Japanese is that their country bearly has any natural resources and always hit by earthqakes and yet they're the one of the most powerful countries. That's really awsome.

We constantly have earthquakes. I was 12 when it hit the Kobe Hanshin area. Alhundulillah, my family and friends didn’t get hurt. We recently had a big earthquake in Nigata which killed 41 people. (well when I last read the news it was 41.) I read another news though, that during this difficult time, muslims from Afghanistan sent letters of kind, encouraging words to those who were struck by the earthquake. Mashaallah I was very touched. This is the muslim’s positive influence on Japan, I’m taking about!

:D I think Japan is now a rich country, because people work very hard.

Well, beef, camels and kanagroo's not so bad, cause they're not so intelligent. I think the whales shouldn't be eaten cause they're very intellect, beautiful and magnificent. I mean, why eat them while you could just eat beef and chicken..lol. I mean, just let the whales live, cause they're endagered.

Yeah, it's really cool that the Japanese work so hard, and you all are so productive. In my country people are just lazy and stupid. Is the whole of Japan so urban? Is crime bad there? A lot of my friend's dreams is to migrate to live in Japan, infact some of them are learning Japanese..:D

Well, beef, camels and kanagroo's not so bad, cause they're not so intelligent. I think the whales shouldn't be eaten cause they're very intellect, beautiful and magnificent. I mean, why eat them while you could just eat beef and chicken..lol. I mean, just let the whales live, cause they're endagered.

Yeah, it's really cool that the Japanese work so hard, and you all are so productive. In my country people are just lazy and stupid. Is the whole of Japan so urban? Is crime bad there? A lot of my friend's dreams is to migrate to live in Japan, infact some of them are learning Japanese..:D

Well, why eat beef at all when you can eat chicken? At least you wouldn't be eating a fellow mammal, right? :P

Seriously, though, I think that the conservation of whale species from extinction is a noble cause but let the Japanese and all other whaling cultures have their whale meat. I am sure that since the Japanese are among the most enlightened people in the world, they will protect the whales from going extinct to protect their whale-eating culture.

Sustainable whaling is the way forward, my brothers and sisters. BTW, whale meat is halal, I think. Mmm, humpback sandwich. :P

Ara ARa Ara (@[email protected]) .... So how many japanese here .. !!???

Either that or you all Fans of ANIME ...!??

L-O-V-E ... love yuki ... Chaka puka chaka puka chaka puka .......... (*O_0) V

oooh Japan, I just watched a film called "A bridge to the sun" this morning...couldn't sleep. :grin:

It was based on a book with the same title by Gwen Terasaki, she married a japanese man...and she was American, it was a very old film (black and white), great actors, when Mrs. Terasaki first came to Japan the um..what do you called the ruler of your country? Ceasar? Don't remember what it is called in English, well he came and everybody had to bow and not look down on him, he was from "the progeny of the sun god " and if you looked at him you would get blinded.

I also once read a book called in the language I read it in (not English) "A samurai dies standing", it was excellent ( I even think the name of the title is marvellous), maybe someone has heard of it? And maybe read it too...? :D

I learned a lot about Japanese culture from that book and film....Japanese culture is very nice. I especially love the cherry trees that blossom..is it during spring time? Beautiful country mashAllah. :grin:

Edited by sis Qassab

I feel bad killing whales for food..something's just not right about it :D, like they're just living free in the ocean and someone just comes to kill it just to for fancy meat..seems inhumane...just my view though.

Oh yes, i got this disturbing chain letter showing Japanese eating aborted baby embryos, is that true?

as-salaam aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

I just did a search and found this:

Jabir reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace he upon him) sent us (on an expedition) and appointed Abu 'Ubaida our chief that we might intercept a caravan of the Quraish and provided us with a bag of dates. And he found for us nothing besides it. Abu Ubaida gave each of us one date (everyday). I (Abu Zubair, one of the narrators) said: What did you do with that? He said: We ed that just as a baby s and then drank water over that, and it sufficed us for the day until night. We beat off leaves with the help of our staffs, then drenched them with water and ate them. We then went to the coast of the sea, and there rose before us on the coast of the sea something like a big mound. We came near that and we found that it was a beast, called al-'Anbar (spermaceti Whale). Abu 'Ubaida said. It is dead. He then said: No (but it does not matter), we have been sent by the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) in the path of Allah and you are hard pressed (on account of the scarcity of food), so you eat that. We three hundred in number stayed there for a month, until we grew bulky. He (Jabir) said: I saw how we extracted pitcher after pitcher full of fat from the cavity of its eye, and sliced from it compact piece of meat equal to a bull or like a bull. Abu 'Ubaida called forth thirteen men from us and he made them sit in the cavity of its eye, and he took hold of one of the ribs of its chest and made it stand and then saddled the biggest of the camels we had with us and it passed under it (the arched rib), and we provided ourselves with pieces of boiled meat (especially for use in our journey). When we came back to Medina, we went to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and made a mention of that to him, whereupon he said: That was a provision which Allah had brought forth for you. Is there any piece of meat (left) with you, so tnat you give to us that? He (Jabir) said: We sent to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) tome of that (a piece of meat) and he ate it. (Muslim, Book #021, Hadith #4756)

I never ever knew this... but but but BUT... killing a whale is not a quick process most of the time.. .Japan has reported that over 60% of the whales they kill fail to die quickly. While the 40% that are killed successfully the average time to die is 2-3 minutes and the most common method of killing them is with a harpoon that has a grenade like item attached that explodes inside the whales body--but for those that fail, sometimes it takes over an hour for a whale to die...

In 1946, Dr Harry Lillie, a ship's physician aboard an Antarctic whaling ship likened the killing of a whale to:

"a horse having two or three explosive spears stuck into its stomach and being made to pull a butcher's truck through the streets of London while it pours blood in the gutter. The gunners themselves admit that if whales could scream the industry would stop, for nobody would be able to stand it."

fi aman Allah,

Ameera

Edited by Ameeraana