Islamic Forum
desertdweller

You Shall Have No Other Gods Before (besides) Me.

:D

forgive me if i am posting this in the wrong spot.

i found this interesting, since i know a lot of Christians have pictures and statues of the Virgin Mary and Prophet (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_glossary/glossary_i001.html#Isa"]Isa[/url] (AS) at the center of their worship......

"You shall have no other gods before (besides) me. You shall not make yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands who love me and keep my commandments."

[Ex 20:3-6]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamtomorrow(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Yusuf_story.htm"]Source[/url]

PropellerAds

:D Fe Dunya Wal Akhira Dear Sister of (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_glossary/glossary_i001.html#Islam"]Islam[/url] for sharing that with us.

If we read the Christian Doctrines we can see that there are full of contradictions, SubhanAllah.

for I the Lord your God am a jealous God,

AstaghferAllah. As we can see such teachings try to lower the Power of God, yet a Christian will try to support such views.

---------------------

Visit my new Islamic Site:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html[/url]

Peace to everyone

The prohibition to make images and idols was necessary in the times and places where ignorant people could believe that the idol was a god.

In other times and places an image could inspire devotion to a believer.

What is the intention or purpose of your posts?

:D Fe Dunya Wal Akhira Dear Sister of Islam for sharing that with us.

If we read the Christian Doctrines we can see that there are full of contradictions, SubhanAllah.

AstaghferAllah. As we can see such teachings try to lower the Power of God, yet a Christian will try to support such views.

---------------------

Visit my new Islamic Site:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html[/url]

I am tired of hearing such course and, dare I say it, narrow minded generalisations as these. Do you really believe that if the Bible were so riddled with contradictions as you seem to think, Christianity would be the largest religion on earth, bar none? It would be about as stupid as me saying that (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_glossary/glossary_i001.html#Islam"]Islam[/url] is 'full of contradictions'. It clearly isn't or there wouldn't be so many Muslims. I personally have a number of different reasons for believing (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_glossary/glossary_i001.html#Islam"]Islam[/url] to be utterly flawed but I won't go into those now.

As for people worshipping Mary, that is indeed heretical and unbiblical. "Thou shall have no other gods but me" is spot on. Mary is not God. No Christian says that she is.

All the best.

Peace to everyone

The prohibition to make images and idols was necessary in the times and places where ignorant people could believe that the idol was a god.

In other times and places an image could inspire devotion to a believer.

What is the intention or purpose of your posts?

Peace Asking,

In regards to your post, i would just like to ask you these questions and comments concerning Christianity:

1. If the Message of Truth is from Christianity, then would it not be for all times, for all people? Would not the message of Truth be complete for the rest of our time here on earth?

2. Also you have state:

prohibition to make images and idols was necessary in the times and places where ignorant people could believe that the idol was a god.

Well, all i can say is a lot of religions worship idols even today.

3. Why do people need images, and statues to inspire devotion? SHouldn't devotion come out of a person's personal love for Our One Creator?

The reason I posted this quote and link from the Bible is because here is a direct command from God in the Bible, yet I never see any Christians following. I am simply raising awareness over the matter.

Peace.

The reason I posted this quote and link from the Bible is because here is a direct command from God in the Bible, yet I never see any Christians following. I am simply raising awareness over the matter.

Peace.

Peace Desertdweller,

I don't assume anything about your experience with Christianity, but you should know that 500 years ago one of the big issues of the Protestant Reformation was the issue of Roman Catholicism's use of statues and imagery. Go to a Protestant church and you will see a simple cross and nothing else.

The truth about idolatry is that ANYTHING that takes the place of God becomes an idol, be it in the form of a graven image or not. In the west, money is a huge idol, yet you won't see people bowing down to an over-sized dollar bill. Idolatry can come in the form of a desire for a relationship—we get ourselves into a position where we CAN'T be happy unless we find that right man or woman. Idolatry takes the good things that God has given to us as servants and elevates them to our masters.

Speaking as a Christian, I dare say that even the scriptures can become an idol. Consider what Jesus said to the Pharisees:

"And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form. But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life."-John 5:37-40

We can become so focused on the minutia, the rules and who's not keeping them that we miss the heart of God. The Pharisees in Jesus' day used the scriptures to beat people down, destroy them. Jesus used them to set people free.

So a good test is to ask ourselves, can I give this thing, this idea, this habit up? If a person really struggles to answer yes, they may be caught in idolatry.

The reason I posted this quote and link from the Bible is because here is a direct command from God in the Bible, yet I never see any Christians following.

Most Christians I know do follow it. Catholics tend to have a lot of statues and such in their churches, but most protestant churches do not.

I am tired of hearing such course and, dare I say it, narrow minded generalisations as these. Do you really believe that if the Bible were so riddled with contradictions as you seem to think, Christianity would be the largest religion on earth, bar none? It would be about as stupid as me saying that Islam is 'full of contradictions'. It clearly isn't or there wouldn't be so many Muslims. I personally have a number of different reasons for believing Islam to be utterly flawed but I won't go into those now.

As for people worshipping Mary, that is indeed heretical and unbiblical. "Thou shall have no other gods but me" is spot on. Mary is not God. No Christian says that she is.

All the best.

Well brit if christianity was one religion then the bible would be perfect but you have major differences .

Mainly You have two VERSION s Your Protestant version and The DOUAY of the catholics which contains 7 books you reject .

So those contradictions are easy to point out and the vulgar earthly language as well , all written by men and historians , maybe about 3% of the bible has the word of god in it and the word of the prophet , but the bible as a whole is told in the voice of the 3rd person or narrator .

Well brit if christianity was one religion then the bible would be perfect but you have major differences .

Mainly You have two VERSION s Your Protestant version and The DOUAY of the catholics which contains 7 books you reject .

So those contradictions are easy to point out and the vulgar earthly language as well , all written by men and historians , maybe about 3% of the bible has the word of god in it and the word of the prophet , but the bible as a whole is told in the voice of the 3rd person or narrator .

But of course Al, and Islam is undivided?! The words 'Shia' and 'Sunni' spring adroitly to mind....

Don't be so dismissive of the Bible, something I'll wager you've never actually looked at objectively if at all, and never with a proper interest to understanding it, but rather to try and pick holes in it, as I can do with the Quran just as easily and have done in the past.

Peace to everyone, and specially to you.

Hallo, and Peace Dessertdweller

It is a pleasure to answer your questions.

If the Message of Truth is from Christianity, then would it not be for all times, for all people? Would not the message of Truth be complete for the rest of our time here on earth?

The message of Truth is from Christianity as much as it is from Islam, as much as it is from Buddhism, from Hinduism, and Judaism, and Sikkism, and, and, and.

In each time in history, each Prophet could not speak to the people in a way that they would not understand anything. You cannot teach high science to children nor any adult subject like philosophy, or metaphysics. And even though Prophets tried to reach the people of their time speaking simply, they were mainly misunderstood in many things.

As mankind evolves socially, culturally, intellectually and spiritually, the message, being still the same, is explained in new ways. All prophets taught morality, the first step of yoga, to the masses, and some also taught more steps of yoga to some followers. The moral rules may be universal or local, depending on culture and time and place, and therefore differ in each religion. Rituals were mainly developed by followers (supposedly based on scripture). Since followers are varied, so are rituals.

Well, all i can say is a lot of religions worship idols even today.

Yes, you have the whole story of spiritual evolution represented in the various cultures of the earth. Islam is higher than idolatry as Protestantism is higher than Catholicism, as they came later in time, but the older less advanced doctrines have survived.

Why do people need images, and statues to inspire devotion? Shouldn't devotion come out of a person's personal love for Our One Creator?

You can most probably never accept that images may be good for a follower or devotee, because you have been programmed or brainwashed to believe images are evil. Sorry to be crude, but it is not only you. We have all been brainwashed by our family and teachers as we were children. Few people have chosen their beliefs, most have inherited them. Images are like a tool, or means of concentration. Similar to the Kabaa and praying in the direction of Mecca. If you may have personal love for Our One Creator, who is formless and omnipresent, you do not need the Kabaa and you do not need the direction of Mecca, nor the Koran, nor anything. But I do not think you can feel that perfect love which does not need tools, which only Prophets felt, even though you seem to think you can.

But of course Al, and Islam is undivided?! The words 'Shia' and 'Sunni' spring adroitly to mind....

Don't be so dismissive of the Bible, something I'll wager you've never actually looked at objectively if at all, and never with a proper interest to understanding it, but rather to try and pick holes in it, as I can do with the Quran just as easily and have done in the past.

Hello there :D

Well BC no comparison cause the Quran they all use is one there is no Versions of it .

but in your case their is more than one and adding and deleting takes place even until today .

I have the KJV on my hard drive BC and do study the bible .

I have a copy of the bible, someone in university gave it to me.. read it a few times.. king james version i think.

There are some verses in the Quran that state, Mohammed (pbuh) didnt bring a new religion but confirmed what was before (i.e. judaism and christianity) and built upon those and that Islam is the final (version shall we say) of those (plz correct me if i'm wrong).. keeping this mind, there were so many verses in the bible i read which were so similar to that in the Quran i really :D for some reason!

Peace to everyone

I was born a catholic but never understood clearly (I am 61) a lot of mysterious sentences in the bible, which have been interpreted in many different ways. I finally understood them last year, when I started reading "The Second Coming of Jesus the Christ" by Yogananda, published less than a year ago. Sooner or later this book is going to be a must in understanding the bible. Have a look at what some people say in

(www.)"http://yogananda-srf/scoc/scoc_frameset_rvw.html"]yogananda-srf/scoc/scoc_frameset_rvw.html[/url]

Cheers

Peace Asking,

because you have been programmed or brainwashed to believe images are evil. Sorry to be crude, but it is not only you. We have all been brainwashed by our family and teachers as we were children. Few people have chosen their beliefs, most have inherited them.

no i am definitly not being told what to believe in. my family and i are like night and day when it comes to religion and i will leave it at that.

you do not need the Kabaa and you do not need the direction of Mecca, nor the Koran, nor anything.

of course i need the Qur'an. it is a book of guidance and inspiration. It is the words from God, if i said I do not need this book, then i am saying I dont need my Creator. :D

you are on the right path when you say we dont need material things to feel God's love, but we do need God. And God has given us the Qur'an, and many signs so we can be thankful for every breath we are given.

I have a copy of the bible, someone in university gave it to me.. read it a few times.. king james version i think.

There are some verses in the Quran that state, Mohammed (pbuh) didnt bring a new religion but confirmed what was before (i.e. judaism and christianity) and built upon those and that Islam is the final (version shall we say) of those (plz correct me if i'm wrong).. keeping this mind, there were so many verses in the bible i read which were so similar to that in the Quran i really :D for some reason!

How is that akhi hasib , can you ellaborate pls .

Peace to everyone

I was born a catholic but never understood clearly (I am 61) a lot of mysterious sentences in the bible, which have been interpreted in many different ways. I finally understood them last year, when I started reading "The Second Coming of Jesus the Christ" by Yogananda, published less than a year ago. Sooner or later this book is going to be a must in understanding the bible. Have a look at what some people say in

Cheers

Peace Asking!

I remind you of the following rule of the Forum.

IF does not welcome debates with other faiths, ideologies or philosophies but rather we will inform you what Islam has to offer you. Briefly what this means is: you are not here to proselytize your belief system.

Please do not project the beliefs of yoga here.

I have deleted the link.

Peace out