Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shagird

One Third Of Scouts Are Muslims

:D

“On My Honour, I promise that I will do my best to do my best to do my duty to God and to the country in which I am now living, to help other people and to keep the Scout Law.â€

With this solemn pledge, young Muslim Scouts across the country are being invested into the Scout Association, becoming members of a worldwide movement whose stated purpose is “to help young people achieve their physical, intellectual, social and spiritual potentials as individuals, as responsible citizens and as members of their local, national and international communityâ€.

Muslim Scouts may be a new breed in the UK where they form a growing percentage of over 400,000 scouts nationwide, but globally they make up almost a third of the nearly 30 million young people involved in scouting in over 216 countries and territories.

Muslim scouting in the UK emerged in the late nineties. It developed from a few Muslim scout leaders in London who believed in the values of Scouting and wanted the whole Muslim community to share in the benefits and fun associated with the Movement. Through perseverance and hard work, they managed to show that Scouting can play a major role in the development of young Muslims in the UK. In recent years, this realisation has become increasingly common and groups have been started in other cities such as Bristol, Birmingham, Cardiff, Luton, Croydon and Whitton.

With the MSF’s recently held first annual camp proving to be a resounding success, requests are coming in from across the country for assistance in setting up new Muslim groups. According to Amir, the initiative to set up groups lies with leaders and parents. ‘I've got community leaders from inner cities knocking on my door saying “deliver programmes for our young peopleâ€. I say to them, “give me adults and I'll train them upâ€. Then they can deliver programmes themselves.’

‘The group is now up and running and the young people have been on their first outdoor camp. I have parents coming up to me thanking me for the changes they have seen in their children because of our work. Scouting fills a vacuum in Muslim communities, allowing us to help young people develop Islamically in a fun environment, an opportunity not offered elsewhere. Due to increased demand, InshaAllah we hope to start training a new set of leaders so we can open more groups.’

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.iwitness.co.uk/features/0705fe01.htm"]source[/url]

Interesting movement, but I'd need to attend a few sessions and see exactly what's being taught before I'd send my kids there!

PropellerAds

Peace,

I used to love the scouts, great experience for young men. (Girls have the Guides, the female equivalent.) I think some scout leaders now accept girls as well but the majority in my experience do not.

It's mostly about camping, orienteering (map reading etc.), walking and then more adventurous stuff like archery, rock climbing, abseiling, canoeing/kayaking, swimming, sailing when on camp every couple of months or so.

The best bit was playing 'Gestapo', which was an unorganised game officially but was the highlight of camp for everyone. It's a game in which there are two teams, one who hides and the other chases, the hiding team are given a password and the chasing team have to catch the hiders and get the password out of them. (I have fond memories of being chased through a forest for a mile before being caught, held down and stung with nettles by the catchers. I managed to hold out from giving the password until they felt too guilty to proceed with my interrogation. ) It sounds a bit barbaric now thinking about it but as a 12 year old boy it's about as much fun as you can have. :D

The other truly great game was British Bulldog. (no idea where the name came from, probably something to do with the wrestler of the same name) There are two lines about 10 metres apart and one person has to stand in the middle of these lines. Everyone else initially stands on one side of these lines and has to run to the other side without the person in the middle tackling them to the ground. If they're brought down then the next round they stand in the middle and help to try and stop more people making it to the other side and so it continues till everybody has been brought down.

There weren't any Muslim's in my Scout group (I don't think there were any in Lanark) but I can't think of any activities in the organization that could be considered un-Islamic. Wholly recommended!

I think this is great! I know some people involved, they do excellent work, :D

Edited by ur_muslim_sista

I was in scouts for a couple years. It was a fun experience, and I made lots of new friends.